daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you think the demolition of Singer Building was the worst architectural crime?
Yes 31 39.24%
No, I can mention others 48 60.76%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 4th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #1
Febo
Soy Viejo, Deme!

Likes (Received): 1231

The worst crime in architecture?

Hi! I've always loved the Singer Building building, which I consider one of the most beautiful of the beggining of the 20st century in New York and even in the world.
I mean...I just cannot believe it was demolished! I know that many cities in all the world -like here in Argentina- lose important old buildings, valuable architecturally.
But Singer Building was a JEWEL, and in my opinion, is the saddest loss in modern architecture. Even if they had built a 500 mt tall tower with a futuristic design, I wouldn't have approved this demolition
What do you think? Do you agree? Or do you think that there were worse architectural losses? And if you have more photos, or more information bout this building, I'll appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #2
eklips

Likes (Received): 5026

Yes utterly idiotic.

But who knows, ugly towers from the 60's-70's are being destroyed nowadays. Maybe we will cry their loss in 40 years.
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #3
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

for me it was. the singer building was a wonderful building, and not small. maybe the tower which has replaced it is taller but not more beautiful
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #4
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57904

The Berlin Castle, that was replaced by the "Palace of the Republic" +_+

I wanna show you the probably worst crime in urban planning in Germany... But I'm warning u: It's goin to be tough

It's the Palast der Republik (=Palace of the Republic) in Berlin I'm referring to.

Just look at this architectural desaster... I could cry by staring at this:

What an eyesore in the heart of my country's capital

And THIS was in place of it before these stupid communists came and torned it down (after a reparable damage in WW2) and built the ugly Palast der Republik instead of this architectural gem: The Stadtschloss (=Berlin city castle)

On this pic (with the Berlin castle on the right edge) you can see the impressive size and the perfect location of this grand castle. It was absolutely gorgeous!

But - FINALLY - they are going to torn down the ugly "Palace of the Republic" and replace it with the Reconstruction of the Berlin castle! The former glory of Berlin is going to rise again

The tearing down of the Palast (in March 2007):

Btw: The top of the Berlin Cathedral is in repairing and so on

Berlin gets back its historical value in the middle of its heart!

Can't wait to see that completed one day

For further information about the grand castle of Berlin =)

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; July 5th, 2007 at 12:05 AM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #5
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

^
Great, the destruction of the communist palace makes me realy happy. Cant wait for the castle either. Will be fantastic.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17796

More information of the Palace of the Republic project : http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=307542

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #7
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6220

OK this may hurt the eyes, a drop in the ocean of what Londons's lost over time to idiot greed, which it seems we excelled at after the war. All these are demolitions:

350 ft high

Methinks the best building of all, the spectacular Indian Pavilion...

and now -spot the difference- occupied by a BBC office and benches noone would want to sit at:

More:

Ye Olde London Bars (gates).

Ye Olde London Bridge From Southwark & Ye Citty Of London.

the 'new one', removed to Havasu Lake City, Arizona in the 1960s

and in turn replaced with this concrete flyover, I kid ye not, youre now looking at the world famous London Bridge:

Euston Arch and Station, demolished in the 1960s, an absolute neccessity to make longer platforms. The blocks were ground up and thrown as lining into a canal.

...and replaced by this. Oh btw, they never did lengthen the platforms either :brickwall:.

building in the centre, no 1 Poultry, demolished in the 1980s

and replaced by this ship like building (I quite like it)

The Junior Carlton Hotel,built in 1864,demolished in 1963

The Imperial Institute,built in 1893,demolished in 1957

and its seamless replacement

St. Thomas Hospital,built in 1871,damaged in WWII and later demolished:

its main block today, can you believe this faces Big Ben across the river?

Columbia Market,built in 1869,demolished between 1958 and 1966

Imperial Hotel, built in 1911 and demolished in 1966. This is my favourite of all of them, its so Germanic looking like a castle:

Carlton Hotel,built in 1899 and demolished in 1958.

and its replacement. Ouch:

Royal Horticultural Society Gardens 1871

International Exhibition Building 1862, demolished two years after it was built. The domes were the largest ever built.

Bethlem Hospital, Mooregate

Firestone Building, demolished recently by a vandal developer before it could be listed.

Pantheon Oxford Street 1772. Was built on the site of current day Marks & Spencers (Tottenham Court Road end of Oxford Street).

Robinsons Flour Mills Deptford

The iconic Coal Exchange, demolished in the 60s:

Nonsuch Palace 1538, so called so that nonsuch palace would ever be built like it, check out the onion domes. Demolsihed 1690s

more domes in Richmond Palace 1299-1495, demolished 1765:

Since the greedy developer crimes of the 1960s and 1970s, age now guarantees automatic listing of buildings- there are now 30,000 protected buildings in London, but some are still at stake believe it or not.

Crown Estates (remember that name) are currently trying to knock the historic Regents Hotel down:

the original plan was complete knockdown:

[img]http://i17.************/4tp14bt.jpg[/img]

the revised plans still include the demolition of the middle of the building and insertion of neo brutalist crap:

[img]http://i19.************/5xq3pn5.jpg[/img]

also at grave risk is the historic Regent St next door that they own and can legally demolish (its 'only' 80 years old and misses the 100 year old deadline):

also slated for demolition by Crown Estates is the three cornered Metropole Hotel :

but there is a campaign to save it. The plans are off for now but look likely to start up again.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; July 5th, 2007 at 05:14 PM.
the spliff fairy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #8
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

This kind of thing needs to stop all around the world. I hit my head on the wall to think even in preservation nimby infested London, so learned from the brutal mistakes of the 60s and 70s and sitting on its fat arse laurels and patting itself on the back, is in reality still demolishing in the traditional name of greed.
Almost all the old interiors of every building in the city has been gutted and replaced with corporate cube offices and strip lighting - and all this has happened ion the last decade and not one preservation society or news report has given a damn. ..ANd now notorious landowners Crown Estates is helping yet another historic city inch by inch become a modern/postmodern majority. The future for London increasingly seems like the same for Berlin/ Beijing/ Moscow/ Milan, its greatest hits preserved or rebuilt, while the rest is as globalised and anonymous as any modern swathe of LA or Singapore. For one noticeable change London is rapidly becoming a flat roofed boxy city.

Basically from this:

to this, cosmetic preservation:

Im all for progess, but not when its the corporate psychotic standard-business-practice future. I can think of more in life than working and shopping... Personally too I dont get overwhelmed with a sense of history when all that's kept is the street layout or road name as a reminder.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; July 5th, 2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #9
savas
head up funny boy

Likes (Received): 413

Unfortunately crimes like this happens as it seem everywhere

Athens, Greece

Aktaion Palace Hotel demolished in the early of the 20th Century

Municipal Theatre demolished in the late 20's

savas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #10
eklips

This was done in Paris, true the original structure was not that beautifull, and as such, moreso than an architectural crime, it was a social crime. Because this place was the heart and soul of the city.

So what am I talking about? The former Halles in central Paris, where tradditionaly existed a huge merchant market.

The market was mooved to the southern suburbs in Rungis, but it never became what it was before.

Instead they built a huge metro/rer station, Chatelet-les-halles and an underground mall. Everybody hates this station today, and the project to rebuild it is going nowhere.

So here are the old "Halles de Paris":

This is where they moved them, in a dull southern suburb:

Today the world's largest market.

And this is the station they replaced it with this in the 70's:

It may not look like it from the outside, but the place is a mess and is a shame for the city once you are inside. Typical 70's stupidity.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #11
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

^what are the new plans for that area? I heard Chatelet Les Halles is one of the busiest metro stations in the world.

The same thing happened in London, the old fruit n veg market Covent Garden was slated for demolition and slated for a block of 70s office blocks over some roundabouts (eugh!). They moved the market to an almost identical one like the one in Paris, south of the river. However in a landmark case the locals managed to fend off the developers and preserve the area by squatting in the buildings. Its now a tourist ghetto.
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #12
eklips

Well initialy a few years ago they launched an architectural contest to rebuild the area.

However after many idiocities, abandonned projects, lack of ambition, administrative mess, we are almost back at step one today.
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #13
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

I won't argue that it was wrong to demolish the Singer Bldg for 1 Liberty Plaza. The same thing when the took down the stationhouse of Penn Station to build MSG over it. However, I find that replacing the Twins, a worldwide symbol, with that ilegitimate replacement known as the Freedom Tower to be the worse crime than those two combined. It is as if saying that officialls were looking for a way to get rid of them, and 9/11 gave them every reason to do so. It is like saying that we should replace the ESB with something less or any other major building in other city b/c they are expendable. Please do not grill me for saying this, b/c this is just my opinion and it only reprsents me.

Right skyline.

Wrong skyline.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #14
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Other than the reason for the demolition, what's wrong with the new one? Architecturally far far better than the bland old-WTC.

Hong Kong in the construction boom in the 70's and 80's and went through a lot of demolition, particularly around Victorian Central, where many buildings, including the old Hong Kong Club House, were demolished.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #15
eklips

Whatever hapenned, the WTC towers were still ugly as hell buildings.
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #16
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
OK this may hurt the eyes, a drop in the ocean of what Londons's lost over time to idiot greed, which it seems we excelled at after the war. All these are demolitions:

Ye Olde London Bars (gates).

Ye Olde London Bridge From Southwark & Ye Citty Of London.

Pantheon Oxford Street 1772. Was built on the site of current day Marks & Spencers (Tottenham Court Road end of Oxford Street).

Thats really sad to see. I didnt know that the old London Bridge had buildings on it. It looks awesome.
I imagine how it could be today with the busses going over it.
And the Pantheon would be great too in Oxford street.
Right now the street is full with retailers so it would have been great to have a big cultural building there which is open to the public.

Great thread btw.
Ill add some stuff from Berlin when I have more time.
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #17
Inkdaub

Likes (Received): 3

This...

became this...

All photos from Wikipedia. Sorry about the size on the last few...I'm not so good at posting pics I guess.
Inkdaub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #18
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

ohmigawd that is feckin horrific. What is wrong with people???

wtf possesses someone to deem this as unworthy:

and replace it with this?? Personally imo this is NOT an improvement:

Old July 6th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #19
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Thats really sad to see. I didnt know that the old London Bridge had buildings on it. It looks awesome.
I imagine how it could be today with the busses going over it.
And the Pantheon would be great too in Oxford street.
Right now the street is full with retailers so it would have been great to have a big cultural building there which is open to the public.

Great thread btw.
Ill add some stuff from Berlin when I have more time.
yep the story of the thousand year old London Bridge is gradual decline. It was filled with houses when in 1212 it caught fire at both ends in one of Londons sporadic infernos and 3000 people were drowned or killed in the crush- amazingly it survived for centuries more. The Great Fire of 1666 swept past and it was once again spared, but by the 18th century the bridge was cleared of its houses and gates (where the heads of the executed were impaled and left to rot as warning/ greeting) to aid congestion. It was finally torn down and replaced in the 1830s by an elegant though impersonal bridge, which in turn was sold for 1 million quid to an American investor, rumour has it was thinking he was buying the iconic Tower Bridge. He rebuilt it in the Arizona desert at a lake resort. This was replaced by the current concrete masterpiece of a 6 lane highway looking for all purposes like a motorway bridge.

If the trend continues they might aswell get rid of the current one and replace it with a great steaming pile of turd.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #20
Aboveday

Likes (Received): 11

Jesus Christ !Almost all of the greatest building in London have been torned down and replaced with crap in 1950s!
Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote