daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you think the demolition of Singer Building was the worst architectural crime?
Yes 31 39.24%
No, I can mention others 48 60.76%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #41
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim
As far as the WTC goes, the primary intent of the 19 highjackers was not to commit a crime against architecture. Perhaps this thread should be limited to architecture that was willfully destroyed by the owners (or by the city through eminant domain) rather than by acts of war.
While you are right that the demolition was like that of no other, replacing it with that so-called officiall plan is a crime in architecture when it should have been rebuilt from the start.

Last edited by TalB; July 11th, 2007 at 02:21 AM.
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #42
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Says you, he who has no official say down there. A young man from upstate New York who loved the twins. Big deal. Whining about it still doesn't bring them back. The fact that they are actually building something new and not even considering the rebuilding of outdated architecture is a crime? Why is it a crime exactly? And no sentimental if the esb were destroyed nonsense.. it isn't so therefore it should stay out of the topic. Why exactly is it a "crime"?

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #43
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

I think the 60's and 70's was a terrible time for NYC architecture in general. The demolition of the Singer was just the peak of this terrible time.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #44
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
While you are right that the demolition was like that of no other, replacing it with that so-called officiall plan is a crime in architecture when it should have been rebuilt from the start.
Then you'd have 5 gazillion protestors and demonstrators getting a stroke because the plan to rebuild the WTC wasn't 'original'.

You can't please everyone - they did the right thing.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #45
Drunkill
Lord Melbourne

Likes (Received): 1004

Melbourne Fish markets.

Great building, torn down in 1958 to build a bridge over the river behind it.

it was a carpark for many years but now it's being redeveloped into some apartments and offices.
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #46
nygirl

Damn that really sucks. It stings actually. What does the bridge look like?

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #47
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

The Savoy Plaza Hotel (1927, demolished 1964) replace by the huge big boxy 1968 Ganeral Motors building...

I don't mind it, but they shouldn't demolished that nice hotel on such a nice spot. They should it found other better sites at that time for tha GM building.

krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #48
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57920

^ I agree with you... In most cases the human stupidity in urban planning was just ridicoulous in the second half of the 20th century
Which aesthetic and economic motives had been there for such serious wrong decisions? Some people seem to lack any kinda taste....

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #49
rincon

Likes (Received): 0

This thread is making me cry!
rincon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #50
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5010

Bratislava, Slovakia - podhradie

in the 60s commies destroyed a huge part of old Bratislava- old jewish town include beatiful synagogue and city wards Vydrica and Zuckermandel

the most of red area was destroyed

now there is one of the landmarks of bratislava

and the monster-highway in the centre of old town

yes, the bridge is nice, but his location...

there are some plans to rebuild vydrica and zuckermandel, but this plans are horrible

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #51
TalB
Refugee

Double post.
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #52
TalB
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
Says you, he who has no official say down there. A young man from upstate New York who loved the twins. Big deal. Whining about it still doesn't bring them back. The fact that they are actually building something new and not even considering the rebuilding of outdated architecture is a crime? Why is it a crime exactly? And no sentimental if the esb were destroyed nonsense.. it isn't so therefore it should stay out of the topic. Why exactly is it a "crime"?
The PA of NY/NJ own that site, which makes it public. Since we vote for the governors who appoint them, I do have a say. If that wasn't the case, then there wouldn't have been public hearings based on it. Replacing the Twins with the Fraudem Tower is more than a just a crime in architecture, it is also a crime in democracy, especially when this decision was made behind closed doors. Those who didn't want them rebuilt, never liked this kind of architecture in the beginning and used their destruction as an excuse to not have them back. For more, go here to read about why it is important to have them back. On a sidenote, I did not spend the last five years whinning about it, I actually went to public hearings and wrote to the media on what I wanted.
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #53
Yörch

Likes (Received): 224

One of the worst acrhitectural crimes in Mexico City is the unfinished Legilative Palace better known as Revolution Monument.

In the first decade they werw building a Palace to host legislative chambers in the country, it had to look like this:

And they began to build it...

But, the Mexican Revolution came and the government changed and sadly there were no plans to finish this palace that revolutionary people calles an excessive demonstration of rancide opulency.

Now, it is the Rovelution Monument and looks like this:
image hosted on flickr
Yörch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #54
nygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
The PA of NY/NJ own that site, which makes it public. Since we vote for the governors who appoint them, I do have a say. If that wasn't the case, then there wouldn't have been public hearings based on it. Replacing the Twins with the Fraudem Tower is more than a just a crime in architecture, it is also a crime in democracy, especially when this decision was made behind closed doors. Those who didn't want them rebuilt, never liked this kind of architecture in the beginning and used their destruction as an excuse to not have them back. For more, go here to read about why it is important to have them back. On a sidenote, I did not spend the last five years whinning about it, I actually went to public hearings and wrote to the media on what I wanted.
Lol do you think you are the only person in the state of New York that pays taxes? I pay taxes and vote as well and I am quite happy to have them built. Alot of good writing the media did you. Fraudem tower? Cute. Your twins aint getting rebuilt. Why even post the link? You know I'm not going to read it, who are you trying to convince?

Old July 14th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #55
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

Definitely one of the worst.

Another crime in history has to be the demolition of the Old Penn Station in NYC for Madison Square Garden.

New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #56
TalB
Refugee

Nygirl, I never said that, you did. I insist that you read that link b/c it answers the questions you seek. I am not lying about what I said b/c I have a whole collection of my letters to the editor are mentioned in the Twin Towers Advocacy thread. Even if you don't click the link, here is the paragraph that states that not having them back is a crime in architecture.

"Gov. Pataki pandered to elitists, who thought it would be "too bad to erase the erasure" – as if our property were their sketch pad, and established ground rules that, unknown to the general public, kept the option of rebuilding the Towers off the table."

"The media allowed detractors to pretend that the Twin Towers were not popular, while refusing to give the opposing viewpoint equal time – or, for the most part, any time. A recent Harris poll of "America's Favorite Architecture" placed them in the Top 20 on the list of the 150 most popular structures."

"The process that gave us the current plan was a slap in the face to the American public. It was dishonest and condescending. That's not a secret and we can back up what we say."

"The Twin Towers were not generic buildings - they were world-famous icons. They stood for something. And if they are lost, so is what they stood for. If we can't restore one of the signature symbols of our vibrant democracy, then how vibrant can it really be?"
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #57
nygirl

Oh boy I'm glad I don't feel the need to obsess over things I know I cannot change. The fact that not rebuilding 60's boxes is a "crime in architecture" is some pretty silly subjective thinking. The twin towers being destroyed was not the worst crime in architecture because a few politicians, loony bins, and TalB say so folks. It is a crime against humanity and it really isn't even the worst, believe it or not there have been far worse. I'd say there are many examples in here that outweigh the twin towers being destroyed ( as unfortunate for architecture as it was) it was far worse on humanity.

Let's believe it's a crime on architecture though because someone, somewhere, wrote it in an article that talb read.

Old July 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #58
TalB
Refugee

If the Twins were the most ugliest buildings ever, then why did they make the top 20 of America's Favorite Architecture list? Building that are very ugly would never be ranked that high. BTW, the support the Twins is actually very high since stats tend to show support from both polls and from public hearings. On a sidenote, cut the personal attacks, nygirl, b/c that it is not the right way to debate a topic and I didn't attack you for your views.
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #59
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 491

In USA, agree with those who said Penn Station. But some times bad things happen for a reason...demolition of Penn was birth of conservation movement in NY. Hope some day it is rebuilt...I think it would pay for itself in tourist dollars.
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #60
E -zone ³
ciudades invisibles

Likes (Received): 24

I think one of the worst crimes was the destruction of Tenochtitlan by the spanish.