daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #2041
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMs View Post
Why is tunnels ecologically friendly? You are digging and making a hole inside the mountain. Which also disrupts the ecology.

Perhaps you meant to say more appealing or esthetic it would be better that way.
Tunnels are more ecologically friendly because they don't disrupt animals corridors.Also you don't have to cut so many trees.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #2042
DanMs
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Animal corridors are protected by national parks. That's what they are for -- wildlife and nature protection. Like the nearby Thethi national park. Perhaps Bechtel could've done less with mountain grinding. Or maybe this was their best option given all circumstances and they took into consideration environmental issues.

We don't know this as we are not civil engineers. And even if so we dont know much about this particular case.
DanMs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #2043
panda80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMs View Post
Animal corridors are protected by national parks. That's what they are for -- wildlife and nature protection. Like the nearby Thethi national park. Perhaps Bechtel could've done less with mountain grinding. Or maybe this was their best option given all circumstances and they took into consideration environmental issues.

We don't know this as we are not civil engineers. And even if so we dont know much about this particular case.
Yes, but animmals live not only in national parks.
I heard that bechtel must subcontract tunnel works to other companies so they don't earn very much from tunnel digging.That's why they prefer cutting large mountains instead of tunnel.That's the case in romania, I don't know how is the situation in albania.
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #2044
Buddy Holly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
Wouldn't have been easier and ecologically to build tunnels?
It would also be more expensive and time-consuming.
Buddy Holly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #2045
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Holly View Post
It would also be more expensive and time-consuming.
Not in the long run I wouldn't have thought. More tunnels, shorter journeys, better route and more people passing through with trade and tourism and more tax revenue if you charge foreign motorists to enter Albanian motorways. Most countries in the EU charge for tunnels anyway.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #2046
Buddy Holly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
Not in the long run I wouldn't have thought. More tunnels, shorter journeys, better route and more people passing through with trade and tourism and more tax revenue if you charge foreign motorists to enter Albanian motorways. Most countries in the EU charge for tunnels anyway.
How does building a tunnel shorten the journey? Instead of a tunnel, they carved the hill and made it wider, safer, and better than a tunnel. Long tunnels run in the hundreds of millions of euros and take years to complete. Tunnels are a necessary evil when there is no other alternative. Buildings tens of tunnels for distances shorten than 50m is economically unsound.
Buddy Holly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #2047
Justme78783
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post

Dude for a 6 km tunnel we paid more than 250 million $ ....... ! How many more km of tunnels should we have built ? According to your statement the half of the road should have been made of tunnels .... ! Which is like 3-4 times more exensive for a road that has already cost aroun 1,2 billion $ ....

But you forget smthn albania isn't dubai , plus the road would have been one of the most monotonous in Europe ....

That motorway is one of the best i ve seen in my life .... and i ve passed through quite a few ... not only the parametres and the quality of the road , but also the surrounding .... !

I mean the speed limit will be at 120 kms/h .... how much should it have been ? I truly disagree with your arguments ...

And btw Albania is going to put tolls in that motorway , a thing i truly find reasonable for a motorway like that ...

When you ll pass through that motrway then you ll understand what i am talking about

Justme78783 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2048
SADOSI

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme78783 View Post
Dude for a 6 km tunnel we paid more than 250 million $ ....... ! How many more km of tunnels should we have built ? According to your statement the half of the road should have been made of tunnels .... ! Which is like 3-4 times more exensive for a road that has already cost aroun 1,2 billion $ ....

But you forget smthn albania isn't dubai , plus the road would have been one of the most monotonous in Europe ....

That motorway is one of the best i ve seen in my life .... and i ve passed through quite a few ... not only the parametres and the quality of the road , but also the surrounding .... !

I mean the speed limit will be at 120 kms/h .... how much should it have been ? I truly disagree with your arguments ...

And btw Albania is going to put tolls in that motorway , a thing i truly find reasonable for a motorway like that ...

When you ll pass through that motrway then you ll understand what i am talking about

Are they really going to put up tolls? Ive been saying they should do that all along, since it wouldnt make sense economically any other way. Finally, smb heard me over there.
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #2049
Justme78783
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADOSI View Post
Are they really going to put up tolls? Ive been saying they should do that all along, since it wouldnt make sense economically any other way. Finally, smb heard me over there.
When i was passing through there with my uncle that is an official in a ministry ... he pointed to me the place that there were going to built the tolls ! So if he s correct then i am correct
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #2050
KingGenti
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shqiptario View Post
Durrės-Kukės

Rrėshen-Kalimash??
KingGenti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #2051
Justme78783
BANNED

yeap
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #2052
7t

They've added new signage to the motorway with a different font and presentation

[img]http://i38.************/14l27vq.png[/img]
7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #2053
Albaneren
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Nice.
Albaneren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #2054
DanMs
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7t View Post
They've added new signage to the motorway with a different font and presentation

I like this.
DanMs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #2055
panda80

Quote:
When i was passing through there with my uncle that is an official in a ministry ... he pointed to me the place that there were going to built the tolls ! So if he s correct then i am correct
They are going to install toll barriers?Wouldn't a vignette system be better for a small country like albania?
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #2056
Justme78783
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
They are going to install toll barriers?Wouldn't a vignette system be better for a small country like albania?
i do not think a vignette system would work well in Albania .... and plus the cars that pass through there are many ... especially in the summer ! There are quite a few other factors as well
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #2057
panda80

Quote:
i do not think a vignette system would work well in Albania .... and plus the cars that pass through there are many ... especially in the summer ! There are quite a few other factors as well
Why?Vignette systems are very suitable in touristic countries...You can impose vignettes on Durres-Morine highway and on all expressways, and also on some very good rehabilitated national roads.Thus the investment needed is minimum, and is much more comfortable for drivers not to stop at toll booths.Also in the summer the toll booths can create traffic jams.
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #2058
KingGenti
BANNED

Quote:
yeap
Thanks.
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #2059
KingGenti
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7t View Post

It can be seen in this video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shqiptario View Post
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #2060
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19428

So the Durrės - Kosovo motorway will get the number "SH 3" ?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
albania, balkan, highway, iliria-shqipėria, illyria, motorways, road, tirane