daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #2961
DesertEagle091
Veritas

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
Not a lot of traffic there. The road looks very good when looking at quality. However it looks narrow and the emergency lanes are way too narrow, they should be as wide as the driving lanes like on the bulgarian high quality motorways. The medial divider is too narrow aswell, a medium divider has either concrete or grass and has two crashbarriers seperated one from each other so it is about 1 50. The motorways are not really motorway standart.
I dont know what makes me laugh more..your comment.. or your face. How could you possibly tell how wide the emergency lane is? did you go and measure it? A tiny helmet Cam traveling 200+ MPH or KMH on a bike will give the optical illusion that it is narrow but I have seen other photos and videos where buses safetly stopped in the emergency lane and there was still some room left over..its funny how some nerds come on here acting like experts in road construction.
DesertEagle091 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #2962
RolexAL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 904

Dont take radi too serious.
RolexAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #2963
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

despite Radi, that shoulder is less than 2 metres wide. no illusion there. driving lanes seem to be standard 3,50 or 3,75.
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #2964
Buddy Holly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Your point being?
Buddy Holly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #2965
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I don't understand why some of you are taking up a fight against Radi's view here, the emergency lane does seem quite narrow compared to the normal driving lanes, optical illusion or not, there are still two normal lanes to compare, if you compare the overtaking lane and the emergency lane when he is riding on the right hand lane you can see the difference. Another problem is ofcourse the sharp bends in quite a lot of places where speed limit goes to as low as 80kmh... End of the day what can you do when the whole region is mountainous and most of the motorway is built on the mountain edge... Another downside is no hard shoulder on the bridges, some of these bridges are quite long and in an emergency could be a problem. Other than this the motorway has some of the best views and quality of surface in Europe.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #2966
FijuBriju

Likes (Received): 522

At 0.45 you can see a car stopped on the emergency lane and it fits perfectly well and there is even some more room left on its left hand.

Even compared to Bulgarion standards this road is still great guys .

http://www.wix.com/aranow/aranow

Animal Medical Care Foundation

http://www.animalmedicalcarefoundation.com/kosovo.html
FijuBriju no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #2967
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Holly View Post
Your point being?
just revising wrong facts. i don't see their purpose, do you?
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #2968
Buddy Holly
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
just revising wrong facts. i don't see their purpose, do you?
If they're facts, they're not wrong, they're just facts. On the other hand, I'm not aware that there's any specific standard regulating the width of the emergency lane; they differ from country to country, sometimes even region to region.

For example, this motorway in Italy (A4) does not seem to have an emergency lane that is much wider than the one in Albania

Yet, it's still classified as a motorway. Now, whether that's up to radi's or anyone else's liking is an entirely different matter, and one that does not, really, mean much in the grand scheme of things.
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #2969
x-type
con los terroristas

wrong. A4 mostly has standard width of hard shoulder, especially newly refurbished or built sections. if you wanna substandard hard shoulders in Italy, try with A14, you will easily find them, although i don't know what are you trying to show me with Italian motorways. yes, they also have some substandard hard shoulders, nobody denies it.
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #2970
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Holly View Post
If they're facts, they're not wrong, they're just facts. On the other hand, I'm not aware that there's any specific standard regulating the width of the emergency lane; they differ from country to country, sometimes even region to region.

For example, this motorway in Italy (A4) does not seem to have an emergency lane that is much wider than the one in Albania

Yet, it's still classified as a motorway. Now, whether that's up to radi's or anyone else's liking is an entirely different matter, and one that does not, really, mean much in the grand scheme of things.
You've been tricked by the shadow in the right part of the picture. A4 has indeed standard hard shoulder width.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #2971
Buddy Holly
BANNED

Quote:
wrong. A4 mostly has standard width of hard shoulder, especially newly refurbished or built sections. if you wanna substandard hard shoulders in Italy, try with A14, you will easily find them, although i don't know what are you trying to show me with Italian motorways. yes, they also have some substandard hard shoulders, nobody denies it.
You still haven't defined what a standard shoulder is in order to point out substandard shoulders.
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #2972
Buddy Holly
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You've been tricked by the shadow in the right part of the picture. A4 has indeed standard hard shoulder width.
I'm just judging based on a photo, just like radi and others. No particular issue with Italian motorways, it was just an example, nothing else.
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #2973
7t

August 13, Tiranė-Elbasan Motorway Tunnel.

7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #2974
7t

As posted by Rolex over at the Albanian Forum, the newly completed Qafė Thanė-Pogradec road, 22km in length. Lake Ohri is seen on the right of the photo.

Old August 17th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #2975
7t

Construction company building the Shkodėr-Hani i Hotit 39km segment http://www.claudiosalinispa.it

Last edited by 7t; August 17th, 2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #2976
DesertEagle091
Veritas

Quote:
despite Radi, that shoulder is less than 2 metres wide. no illusion there. driving lanes seem to be standard 3,50 or 3,75.
I find it interesting how you could accurately measure something simply by looking at it in a video..you must have special eyeballs which can measure distance...Now since youre the expert on road construction and highway engineering do yourself a favor and read this part of this article about the highway when it was first inagurated. Enjoy

"The Motorway is designed as dual carriageways of 2 X 3.75 m, supplemented with 2.0 m emergency shoulder lanes. The major work items comprise 21 million cubic meters of excavation, 8.5 million cubic meters of earth filling, 0.6 million cubic meters of concrete and shot crete, 1.0 million tonnes of subbase and cement treated base and 0.45 million tonnes of asphalt for the construction of the motorway of 61 km long with all bridges, viaducts and two tubes each of 5.5 km in length, on the challenging topography of the Albania mountains terrain at an attitude over 1,000 m.

http://www.emportal.rs/en/news/region/92220.html
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #2977
DesertEagle091
Veritas

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=durre...8&tx=109&ty=98

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=durre...88&tx=44&ty=63

The photos speak for themselves...you can clearly see not only a car but even a small airplane could fit on the emergency lane.
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #2978
StevenNL

Likes (Received): 542

Quote:
Another downside is no hard shoulder on the bridges, some of these bridges are quite long and in an emergency could be a problem.
Who said bridges are suppose to have emergency lanes???
StevenNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #2979
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNL View Post
Who said bridges are suppose to have emergency lanes???
Nobody did, I was just saying that because some of these are so long it would be a big problem for someone to stop for emergency. Chances of survival in life or death situations are lowered considerably since it is very hard to stop or change lane quickly when you are doing 120-130kmh... It can be a serious hazzard... I know most motorways in Europe are like this but this is a new modern motorway and health and safety is now a high priority in 2011. You have emergency spaces and escape doors in tunnels so why can it not be the same for a long bridge?
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #2980
StevenNL

Likes (Received): 542

They could've made the normal lanes smaller(and emergy lane bigger). A matter of drawing the white line. But I think there is still enough space to pull to the side in case of an emergency. (a lot of bridged dont have emergency lanes, it's not a standard).
StevenNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
albania, balkan, highway, iliria-shqipėria, illyria, motorways, road, tirane