daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM   #3181
7t

The map has been under review for some time and it will be updated in the coming days. I'll make sure to post the most accurate routes based on the info available. Thanks for the input

On stickedy's points,

- Vermosh border point is not off base. The circle covers with rough accuracy the regional area where the crossing path is located.
- Second road connecting Kor with Pogradec not only exists but it was completed just recently. The 33 km segment "Quks-Qaf Pllo" serves as a shorter alternative route to the previously existing road and is part of Kora's so called northern outer ring road.
7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:23 PM   #3182
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNL View Post
Ok the letter part was duly noted. (...)

You couldn't use TIRAN and OROVOD as an example? Is there a rule in Albanian alphabet that you cannot use these letter in capital format?
+1 !

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:44 PM   #3183
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7t View Post
The map has been under review for some time and it will be updated in the coming days. I'll make sure to post the most accurate routes based on the info available. Thanks for the input

On stickedy's points,

- Vermosh border point is not off base. The circle covers with rough accuracy the regional area where the crossing path is located.
No, that's wrong! In fact at this point there could be a border crossing point made (there's the plan to open the border at tis point sometime in the future), but the real and only open border crossing near Vermosh is just at the opposite side of the border in this corner:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42...om=13&layers=M

Or Google:
http://www.google.com/mapmaker?ll=42...&lyt=large_map

Quote:
- Second road connecting Kor with Pogradec not only exists but it was completed just recently. The 33 km segment "Quks-Qaf Pllo" serves as a shorter alternative route to the previously existing road and is part of Kora's so called northern outer ring road.
Never heard of that road or project before... I just checked the maps and satellite pictures and I highly doubt that anybody with brain in his head would build a new road western of the existing SH3: There are only high mountains, no villages and all valleys seem to go east - west instead of north - south.

And Quks is located at the SH3 in Shkumbin valley (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41...om=12&layers=M) not in the region where that road should be. I know that there is a connection Quks - Pogradec over a mountain pass by-passing the more known Qaf Thana but that road is just no driveable with a normal car. And I didn't hear of any works on this road either (in fact SH 3 isn't completed yet around lake Ohrid)

So I highly doubt any second road Korce - Pogradec (at least one which deserves the name) unless you give me an additional link or even pictures!
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #3184
7t

I will triple check on the accuracy of the exact locations. However, I wouldn't trust second hand sources like Open Street Map which are easily editable by anyone.
Here is a linked article talking about Quks-Qaf Pllo
http://www.keshilliministrave.al/?fq...news&lid=11383
7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #3185
stickedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7t View Post
I will triple check on the accuracy of the exact locations. However, I wouldn't trust second hand sources like Open Street Map which are easily editable by anyone.
Here is a linked article talking about Quks-Qaf Pllo
http://www.keshilliministrave.al/?fq...news&lid=11383
So, you don't trust Wikipedia either?

Here's Qukes on Google Maps: http://maps.google.de/maps?q=41.1158...src=6&t=m&z=12

I tried to understand that article but the Google translation is not really good. However, there's mentioned the route of the original Via Egnatia and that is afair Qukes - Pogradec (perhaps over Qaf Pllo). I will check that tomorrow with my books.
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #3186
RolexAL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 904

Tirana's outer ring road.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=370
RolexAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:55 PM   #3187
Kulla
BANNED

Likes (Received): 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma2008 View Post
Quote:
Kulla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3188
Kulla
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:57 PM   #3189
Kulla
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3190
Kulla
BANNED

Quote:
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:06 PM   #3191
Kulla
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGenti View Post
A1

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #3192
Kriticat

Likes (Received): 1

SH4 progress

Hi everyone,
I love driving in Albania, some of the roads are really great, although others are still 'work in progress' and pretty hard going.
I'm planning to travel south again from Montenegro to Greece with a caravan sometime in the next couple of weeks. I will be crossing from Muriqan to Kakavia. Can anyone tell me the condition of the roads, and whether there has been much progress since last July.
Also, I always seem to get lost trying to find the Durres bypass...does it really exist or is it just a map makers dream?
Thanks in advance for any help
Kriticat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:28 PM   #3193
rene1234
Carpe Diem

Likes (Received): 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriticat View Post
Hi everyone,
I love driving in Albania, some of the roads are really great, although others are still 'work in progress' and pretty hard going.
I'm planning to travel south again from Montenegro to Greece with a caravan sometime in the next couple of weeks. I will be crossing from Muriqan to Kakavia. Can anyone tell me the condition of the roads, and whether there has been much progress since last July.
Tell me the route you travelled in Albania and the conditions of different segments and then I can try to update you with information about their condition and work progress now

Quote:
Also, I always seem to get lost trying to find the Durres bypass...does it really exist or is it just a map makers dream?
Thanks in advance for any help
Sure, it exists and it is for the moment under construction..maybe it will be finished until summer I hope
rene1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:11 PM   #3194
stickedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene1234 View Post
Tell me the route you travelled in Albania and the conditions of different segments and then I can try to update you with information about their condition and work progress now
I guess it was the standard route: Muriqan - Shkodra - Fush-Kruja - Vora -Durres - Fier - Tepelena - Gjirokastra - Kakavia (or SH1 - SH52 - SH2 - SH4). You haven't much choice there if you're just transit...

@Kriticat: Am I right?

The new SH4 Fier - Tepelena is still not ready, so I would give you the advice to take the alternative over Elbasan and Korce to Greece: SH7 and SH3 from Rrogozhina. It's no fun to drive the old SH4 with a caravan! I did it 2.5 years ago... The road in the north is much better to drive. But this also depends where you want to go in Greece. If it's Ioaninna, it's not really an alternative, but If it's Korinth or Athens, then it would be fine

Quote:
Sure, it exists and it is for the moment under construction..maybe it will be finished until summer I hope
But it's hard to find the exit when you're coming from Tirana. I missed the exit the first three time when travelling to Greece. Last year I saw the sign... Afair Kavaja or Rrogozhina is signed there, not Fier or any of the other cities in that direction as you would expect.
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #3195
Arbenit

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriticat View Post
Hi everyone,

Actually this road exists, as Rene1234 and Stickedy said. You shoul look for Rrogozhin exit in Tirana - Durrs expressway.

This road is being upgraded from regular 1X1 highway to 2X2 expressway.

Photos below I took in August of 2011. Durrs bypass stretches from point A to point B in the map below.

Brilliant minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people
Arbenit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #3196
squirrel_ri

Likes (Received): 3

Travel times in Albania

Hi,
Could someone please confirm me the travel time by bus on the following sections (distances arefrom Via Michelin, travel time is my guess:
Murriqani-Shkodra 13 km= 20 min?
Shkodra -Durres, 125 km, 2 hrs?
Durres- Berat 88 km, 2 hrs?
Berat-Apolllonia??
Durres-Tirana 1 hour (from centre to centre)
Tirana-Shkodra-125 km, 2 hrs?
Shkodra-Han i Hotit-??
Han i Hotit-Podgorica??
Howmuch time does it take to cross into Montenegro at Han i Hotit?
Any idea about a good restaurant or coffe bar something like 2 hrs from Tirana to Shkodra?
Thank you veryy much for your replies
squirrel_ri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3197
Kriticat

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks everyone - stickedy is right about the route, and we've done it twice with a caravan - I couldn't always call it fun but it was certainly interesting! One time the road between Ballsh and Dames was closed because a truck carrying a huge vodafone mast overturned on a tight bend. after some hours a new 'road' was scraped out of the hill, and the police let some vehicles pass, but didn't believe we could do it in the caravan. We argued and persuaded and eventually were allowed to try and luckily we made it (my husband is a very good driver!)
The info about how to find the Durres bypass is invaluable - and will take an hour off the journey (not to mention lots of shouting as we try to drive through Durres looking for the road to Fier!)
But I will consider the Elbasan Korce route - it is always good to try a new route, we've also used the coast road via Saranda but have never been this way. We are heading to the Peloponnese so it could be an option.
How long do you think it would take, and what is the crossing into Greece like?
Thanks again - what a helpful forum
Kriticat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #3198
Kulla
BANNED

"Levan(Fier)-Vlor" Expressway by Mali.It

Old February 10th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #3199
rene1234
Carpe Diem

Likes (Received): 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_ri View Post
Hi,
Could someone please confirm me the travel time by bus on the following sections (distances arefrom Via Michelin, travel time is my guess:
Murriqani-Shkodra 13 km= 20 min?
Shkodra -Durres, 125 km, 2 hrs?
Durres- Berat 88 km, 2 hrs?
Berat-Apolllonia??
Durres-Tirana 1 hour (from centre to centre)
Tirana-Shkodra-125 km, 2 hrs?
Shkodra-Han i Hotit-??
Han i Hotit-Podgorica??
Howmuch time does it take to cross into Montenegro at Han i Hotit?
Any idea about a good restaurant or coffe bar something like 2 hrs from Tirana to Shkodra?
Thank you veryy much for your replies
Yes, more or less your guess about the travel time is correct, anyway Shkodra-Hani Hotit is currently under construction so the time to travel there it depends how far the constructions have gone by the time you will travel. In my opinion it should not take more than an hour, crossing from Montenegro at Hani Hotit it takes 10-15 minutes so no problem there ..The route Berat-Fier is not in good conditions so I think it will take you around 70-90 minutes. From Fier to Apollonia it could take 20 minutes. There are a lot of bars and restaurants so don't worry about that, you will see them everywhere
rene1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #3200
fbeavis

Likes (Received): 258

I only see one lane of travel in each direction in the pics above but they're calling it an expressway?
fbeavis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
albania, balkan, highway, iliria-shqipria, illyria, motorways, road, tirane