daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #3741
KingGenti
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2024

vasil miho

Illyrian_Patriot, snowdog liked this post
KingGenti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #3742
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladjack View Post
Just one info: the road from Tepelene to Fier is only half completed. The part around Tepelene (about 35 km long) is awfull, couldn't be worse. Simply speaking, this part of the road does not exist. The remaining 40 km closer to Fier are new and very good.
Also, the part of the road through the town Fier looks terrible.
I crossed the border at Konispol and asked people what road should I take from there to Tirana. They told me that the route Sarande-Gjirokaster-Tepelene-Fier-Durres would be much faster then the coastal road. So I took serpantine to Gjirokaster and had very difficult hour after Tepelene. Now, I am really intereseted how is the coastal road.
This topic wasn't really helpfull update about current road conditions.
The coastal road is indeed in very good condition, but - as it is mostly the matter with coastal roads - there are many turnes, up and downs and not to forget the Lllogara pass. And passing Vlora and the beaches before could also take some time. So the people were right, Sarande-Gjirokaster-Tepelene-Fier is indeed much faster than Sarande-Vlora-Fier.

Of course that also depends on your car and how fast you drive. Albanians are mostly unconcerned about road conditions, so an avarage Albanian driver will be much faster through that bad conditions than for example an avarage German driver.

You can calculate with at least 4 hours on the coastal road from Sarande to Levan (the town right before Fier). More likely 1 to 2 hours more depending on traffic and your love of life

Edit: Nonetheless, the coastal road is much more beautiful!

The new road only reaches from Levan to Dames, that surely is mentioned several times here in the thread.

Last edited by stickedy; May 8th, 2013 at 12:50 AM.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #3743
pepes1gr

Likes (Received): 1

On the road Sarande Konispol you can move comfortably between 70-120 km.
pepes1gr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #3744
pepes1gr

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I checked, the info about Konispol-Saranda road is provided by pepes1gr. Thanks.
I am also interested what the coastal road looks like.
I know it is very scenic and curvy, but if it is normal pavement 1x1 lanes everywhere, it should be great easy drive (about 50 - 70 km/h).
If anyone interested I can provide info about the current state of the roads. I took the following route Podgorica - Tirana - Elbasan - Ohrid - Bitola - Kozani - Ioannina - Parga - Konispol - Gjirokaster - Levan - Durres - Shkodra - Podgorica.
What is the condition of the road Shkorda to the border Hani Hotit.
In a month I will make the trip Arta - Konispol - Himare - Vlore - Fier - Shkodra -Podcorica - Budva - Dubrovnik with motorbike.
pepes1gr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #3745
Illyrian_Patriot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepes1gr View Post
What is the condition of the road Shkorda to the border Hani Hotit.
In a month I will make the trip Arta - Konispol - Himare - Vlore - Fier - Shkodra -Podcorica - Budva - Dubrovnik with motorbike.
That section just finished , these are some recent photos taken by some SCC members of the albanian forum

Last edited by Illyrian_Patriot; May 8th, 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Illyrian_Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #3746
vladjack

Likes (Received): 3

For pepes,
The road Shkodra-Hani i Hotit-Podgorica is very good, especially Albanian part. Shkodra-Hani i Hotit is the new road 1+1 lane with shoulders, passing through plane (but nice) area, so you can drive it about 80 km/h with pleasure. There is just one terrible hole at the exit from Shkodra, where traffic and everything around looks very messy, but as you pass it you will find yourself on excellent road.

pepes1gr liked this post
vladjack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #3747
vladjack

for Ilirian Patriot and stickedy,
I saw the videos posted by IP, thanks. I immidiatelly recognized the serpantine above Dhermi. I remember it from 2006. At that time the road over Llogara pass and serpantine over Dhermi have been quite good. The problems started right in Dhermi. The road virtually ended there. It took almost 4 hours from there to Saranda.
Now, look: according to googlemaps, the distances Sarande-Vlore-Levan (154 km) and Sarande-Gjirokaster-Tepelene-Levan (157 km) are almost same. How long can it take to get this 154 km distance? 3 hours, not more? Taking Gjirokaster route, I had to do one serpantine before Gjirokaster (about 20 km) and this terrible section from Tepelene to Dames (about 30 km). In total it took 3 hours from Konispol to Levan. I think coastal road was really better option.
And yes, I was surprised how local drivers are fast on the dirt. They seem not to be concerned about their cars at all.
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #3748
Illyrian_Patriot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 127

The answer is not simple , it depends on many factors , especially because the kms are exactly the same . So it depends on what you are searching for .

I can say to you though how much it takes me to do Sarane-Vlore-Levan .

Sarande-Vlore would be around 2 hours and a half (1x1 nice coastal road)
Vlore-Levan would be around 20 minutes ( motorway with speed limits of 100-120 kms)

Also you should add around 15 minutes in the town of vlore .

I personally would always prefer the coastal road in this instance .

It is true though that when the rest section of Levan-Tepelene gets finished completely , then definetely it is more fast to go via that route instead of the coastal road . But the diference is gonna be of some minutes 20-30 minutes .

But for now until Levan-tepelene gets completely finished , i think that the answer is the coastal road . Provided that your starting point or ending point is Konispol and not Kakavia .

Also important to always remember , in months of July-august there is more traffic in the coastal road . So as you see there are many variables and in essences all different answers are correct , thus the confusion on this matter .

Last edited by Illyrian_Patriot; May 8th, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Illyrian_Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #3749
vladjack

IP, thanks.
It seems that the coastal road was really better option provided that I have been at Konispol.

Two more questions (if you know):
1. How is the road Qafe Thanes - Pogradec - Korca - Greece?
2. How is the road to Berat?
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #3750
vladjack

One more info for pepes: I noticed big improvement with road pointers. In 2006. and 2008. we had to stop at many crossroads and ask people, this time we found enough pointers. The only exception was in Durres, when we tried to get our way towards Shkodra. I think most of foreigners would be lost at that place.
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3751
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
IP, thanks.
It seems that the coastal road was really better option provided that I have been at Konispol.

The road is in bad condition from Lin (right on the shore of Lake Ohrid) below Qafe Thanes through Pogradec until Qafa Plloēė (see http://goo.gl/maps/a2gtd for the part). It can be compared with the old road from Tepelene to Fier over the hills... But there should also be ongoing road works, so expect perhaps more something like Tepelene - Dames there as well. Everything else is good to very good

Quote:
Don't know

Quote:
One more info for pepes: I noticed big improvement with road pointers. In 2006. and 2008. we had to stop at many crossroads and ask people, this time we found enough pointers. The only exception was in Durres, when we tried to get our way towards Shkodra. I think most of foreigners would be lost at that place.
Why? Tirana is signed there. It's a bit confusing when you come from direction Fier because on the entrance to Durres, Tirana is also signed on an old road, but that's really the only problem. Or did you take the detour to the harbor?

Anyway, I guess signing will be greatly improved as soon as Durres bypass is ready.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #3752
vladjack

stickedy,
thanks. The old road tepelene-fier was also awfull. I tried it in 2006. (or 2008. I am not sure now).
I found this connection Durres-Vore-Shkodra confusing twice, both twice I passed there. There is no pointer to Shkodra, so one can mix it with the another road to Tirana.
I have also found this time the road Elbasan-Ohrid, which was very nice in every aspect, pretty damaged. It seems that heavy snowfalls left a lot of holes on it.
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #3753
KingGenti
BANNED

Quote:
IP, thanks.

1.)

Qafe Thane Pogradec

Pogradec-Korēe

Korēe-Kapshtice(at greek border)

2)Can you be more clear?From where to where??
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3754
KingGenti
BANNED

Tunnels of A3 motorway

Illyrian_Patriot liked this post
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #3755
KingGenti
BANNED

The greeks of 'Actor' are doing an good job,Albanian A3,tunnels part looks same as Egnatia Odos in Greece.
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #3756
KingGenti
BANNED

gogo3o liked this post
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #3757
RolexAL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 904

Extension of A1.Thumanė-Milot section or the half of Shkodėr-Tiranė highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexAL View Post
Vazhdimi i A1 ne Kurbin.

Te gjitha fotot nga Vasil Miho(Faleminderit)

Credits to Vasil Miho for all the photos.
RolexAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #3758
RolexAL
BANNED

//
Quote:

Old May 10th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #3759
RolexAL
BANNED

///

Quote:

KingGenti liked this post
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #3760
RolexAL
BANNED

In general it's a good looking road,it will short the distance between Shkodėr and the capital.

Thnx to Vasil Miho

KingGenti liked this post

Tags
albania, balkan, highway, iliria-shqipėria, illyria, motorways, road, tirane