daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #141
7t

Progress of Durrës - Morinë Highway (photos of the tunnel taken 10 weeks ago)

7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #142
Foolish Farmer
Athleta Christi

Likes (Received): 4

Superb!

This Motorway will connect Albania & Kosova more than ever (before 1912)!
Foolish Farmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #143
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish Farmer View Post
Superb!

This Motorway will connect Albania & Kosova more than ever (before 1912)!
I just hope Kosovo either remains within Serbia as a province with extended autonomy or unites with Albania. I have a feeling that if it becomes a sovereign country things won't turn up very well.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #144
7t

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
I have a feeling that if it becomes a sovereign country things won't turn up very well.
Things turned out pretty well for a smaller, weaker and more diverse Montenegro.
7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #145
KB

Likes (Received): 6846

Nice tunnel.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #146
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7t View Post
Things turned out pretty well for a smaller, weaker and more diverse Montenegro.
I hope you're correct but unfortunately there are still too many ethnic tensions in Kosovo (I should probably get used to spelling it Kosova soon , but who knows... ). Also it is a poor region, at least Montenegro's economy can rely on a steady influx of tourists (like me). That's why I think it should be sustained and developed as part of a bigger country. Maybe we could have a Durrës - Tiranë - Prishtinë motorway sooner that way.

I would also like to visit the Albanian coast sometime, I can deduce from pictures that it is just as beautiful as Montenegro and Croatia - any suggestions regarding tourist resorts?
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #147
twinsen
dark avenger

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Because that's Albanian languague.

One of the most difficult languagues in Europe i've seen so far. From Russian to Polish, and from Romanian to Spanish, from Croatian to Swedish, i can translate at least parts or words from a text, but Albanian: Nothing.

Polish is simple
Try Hungarian language. It is not similar to any language on the world
They even not name some popular world words the same way as others.
For example, in Europe generally Police sounds similar or near similar:
Policja,Policia,Police,Polizia - in Hungary it is: Rendőrség

twinsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #148
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsen View Post
Polish is simple
They even not name some popular world words the same way as others.
For example, in Europe generally Police sounds similar or near similar:
Policja,Policia,Police,Polizia - in Hungary it is: Rendőrség

We think differently. Our words root from only a few basic words.Rend is tidiness,calmness.Őr is guard. so rendőrség is an institution that keeps calmness.
but lets take na other example,
ad is give.
adó is tax
adózik is to pay tax
adakozás is charity

Hungarian is more logic,if I can use this word,while it needs more complex understanding.
I have never seen an other language which doesnt make a new word for new stuff.
Lets take matches: it was "gyújtó fácska",which became "gyufa",by summoning the 2 words. To me,german or english is hard,since it lacks the properties my language has.

SOOOOOOOO sorry for the off-topic.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #149
wyqtor
Coexist

Also, Restaurant = Étterem. At least you can make some analogy here if you know English !

I have been hearing Hungarian ever since I was little, as I live in a town with a small Hungarian minority, only 20 km away from the border with Hungary, so I am familiar with its tonality. I even tried to learn some basic grammar but gave up soon .

But 2 weeks ago when I returned from Italy and France (which have pleasant languages to listen to, also they are related to my native language romanian), when I entered Hungary the sound of the language hurt my ears... Of course, I am not saying that as a derogatory remark, I have great respect for the Hungarian people (except for the nationalists - but that is applicable to Romanian ones too), but that's the way I felt. Sometimes I wish the language was more easy to grasp, as we often go shopping in Hungary and struggle with basic things like food names and asking for directions.

But I definitely think Hungarian is easier to learn than Chinese!
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #150
wyqtor
Coexist

Köszönőm (thanks) RawLee, I had no idea how complex the word formation was! Also Számitógép = Computer.

Számitó = to count,
gép = device.

I apologize for the off-topic as well.
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #151
RawLee

Quote:
Also, Restaurant = Étterem. At least you can make some analogy here if you know English !

I have been hearing Hungarian ever since I was little, as I live in a town with a small Hungarian minority, only 20 km away from the border with Hungary, so I am familiar with its tonality. I even tried to learn some basic grammar but gave up soon .

But 2 weeks ago when I returned from Italy and France (which have pleasant languages to listen to, also they are related to my native language romanian), when I entered Hungary the sound of the language hurt my ears... Of course, I am not saying that as a derogatory remark, I have great respect for the Hungarian people (except for the nationalists - but that is applicable to Romanian ones too), but that's the way I felt. Sometimes I wish the language was more easy to grasp, as we often go shopping in Hungary and struggle with basic things like food names and asking for directions.

But I definitely think Hungarian is easier to learn than Chinese!
No offence taken!It is totally clear to us that our language is almost unique.Have you ever listened to songs? hungarian sound especially good in them,since we dont have letters like krhm or such after an other.
Étterem is the same,though "mutated" a little.
Enni means to eat,étel is food,terem is room. so étterem means eating or food room.

but to be on topic,and not be totally off,I envy your tunnels! We dont have such thins here(though we managed to build a giant viaduct in a flat country,so nothing is impossible)

I am nationalistic too,but because winners write history,we cant argue until we win something,which I hope wont happen,and europe truly unifies before that.
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #152
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
No offence taken!It is totally clear to us that our language is almost unique.Have you ever listened to songs? hungarian sound especially good in them,since we dont have letters like krhm or such after an other.
Étterem is the same,though "mutated" a little.
Enni means to eat,étel is food,terem is room. so étterem means eating or food room.

but to be on topic,and not be totally off,I envy your tunnels! We dont have such thins here(though we managed to build a giant viaduct in a flat country,so nothing is impossible)

I am nationalistic too,but because winners write history,we cant argue until we win something,which I hope wont happen,and europe truly unifies before that.
Zanzibar is the greatest rock band ever!

Yes, I hope didn't misunderstand me, (I noticed the subtle association you made with Albania . To everyone else, there is a theory about that, long story...) I was referring to those nationalists who are violent and aggressive, not patriots, although I like to think that above all, we are human beings, all equal in rights. Some people help only other co-nationals when they are in need, and I hate that. And this also relates to the Kosova/Kosovo Serbs and Albanians.
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #153
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsen View Post
Polish is simple
Hungarian is related to Finnish
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #154
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadUser View Post
Hungarian is related to Finnish
I'd pay your rent for 10 years,if you find 20 words that are similar,and mean the same.
We are both Finn-ugoric,but they are from the finnish, branch,but we are ugoric.
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #155
wyqtor
Coexist

Hungarian is related to Estonian and Saami too, as well as a few languages from Siberia. But they are very distant, basic words differ a lot.
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #156
RawLee

Quote:
Zanzibar is the greatest rock band ever!

Yes, I hope didn't misunderstand me, (I noticed the subtle association you made with Albania . To everyone else, there is a theory about that, long story...) I was referring to those nationalists who are violent and aggressive, not patriots, although I like to think that above all, we are human beings, all equal in rights. Some people help only other co-nationals when they are in need, and I hate that. And this also relates to the Kosova/Kosovo Serbs and Albanians.
Try Edda. The band is 21 years old,and their old songs are very good

the tension is felt here,mainly because there are/were(you decide,I wont argue) hungarians in serbia,if kosovo gains independence,they will want it too.

but lets keep at least half of our discussion on topic...how many tunnels will be on the route shown above(whith the tunnel)?
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #157
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
but lets keep at least half of our discussion on topic...how many tunnels will be on the route shown above(whith the tunnel)?
I don't know, I thought you were joking when complimenting me about Albanian tunnels (you know, the Hungarian history lesson stuff...), but I am Romanian! . Let's wait for the real Albanians to answer!
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #158
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
I'd pay your rent for 10 years,if you find 20 words that are similar,and mean the same.
We are both Finn-ugoric,but they are from the finnish, branch,but we are ugoric.
Well, languages don't have to closely related to be related, after all, English and Albanian are related, but the relationship is not very obvious.

Here is a website with some Finnish-Hungarian etymologies

http://www.helsinki.fi/~jolaakso/f-h-ety.html

Anyway, this is getting rather off topic, so maybe we should stop here.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #159
RawLee

Quote:
I don't know, I thought you were joking when complimenting me about Albanian tunnels (you know, the Hungarian history lesson stuff...), but I am Romanian! . Let's wait for the real Albanians to answer!
Sorry!i didnt know you werent albanian
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #160
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Sorry!i didnt know you werent albanian
No problem! One of the things Hungarian nationalists (and even some Hungarian history books) say is that we Romanians left Transylvania, migrated into Albania, established a cultural identity there and then returned, but they found that the "empty land" was already settled by Hungarians. Most Romanians would vehemently disagree, I thought you were testing my attention . I usually take history issues & disagreements like these very lightly.

Tags
albania, balkan, highway, iliria-shqipëria, illyria, motorways, road, tirane