daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #161
rpc08

Likes (Received): 1006

I was there earlier this year, the first time in four years, and traffic levels have improved very significantly. It's very hard to get to Luxembourg in the morning, and very hard to leave at the end of the day, cause there are jams even outside the motorways. The Croix de Gasperich area is the worst, presenting difficulties sometimes even out of the rush hours. The day I came back to Portugal I took more than an hour in the morning to get to the airport from Esch-sur-Alzette, which is about 25 km away...

The public transportation network in Luxembourg is very good, so the problem is certainly not there. Maybe they should consider to upgrade A3, A4 and A1/A6 around Luxembourg to 2x3 lanes the fastest as possible...

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #162
EdiPires

Likes (Received): 11

[L] Luxembourg | road infrastructure • autoroutes

Public transportation in Luxembourg are also in their limit: trains are crowded during rush hour, and the capacity of the trains tracks doesn't allow putting more trains in the lines. Buses are stuck in traffic (especially in the afternoon rush hour, because bus lanes exist mainly to go to the city, not from it).

The government announced that the A3 will be upgraded to 2x3 lanes from Croix de Gasperich to the French Border. The A6 will also be upgraded to 2x3 lanes, but only from Croix de Gasperich to Helfenterbrück ( they said the reason why they won't update further west is that the motorway is only busy at rush hour).
The A4 will be upgraded to have one bus lane in every direction from Leudelange to Esch/Alzette. Theses lanes will be used by high-capacity buses between Esch-Belval and the Cloche d'Or district (where the new stadium will be built) and there connected to the new tram line which will pass through the whole city to Kirchberg and the airport.

Shenkey liked this post

Last edited by EdiPires; June 18th, 2017 at 01:49 AM.
EdiPires no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 01:34 AM   #163
EdiPires

Speaking of motorway upgrading, the A13 section between Ehlerange and the Lankelz interchange in Esch/Alzette has just been upgraded to 3 lanes. The days of constant jams in this section might be over.
Photo was taken by L'Essentiel

Shenkey liked this post

Last edited by EdiPires; June 18th, 2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #164
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Micheville - Belval connection (from Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg to Audun-le-Tiche, France) opens to traffic tomorrow. The international link includes a tunnel under the Belval redevelopment project in Esch-sur-Alzette.

I took some photos recently. There was a 'what???!' moment when I spotted the motorway sign at Belval.

Liaison Micheville-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

Liaison Micheville-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

Liaison Micheville-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

This is in France

Liaison Micheville-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

90 km/h. Usually they would allow 110 km/h on divided highways in France.

Liaison Micheville-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

wildlife crossing

Liaison Micheville-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

Liaison Micheville-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Babenhausen Süd, AvB liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 05:29 PM   #165
EdiPires

Quote:

I took some photos recently. There was a 'what???!' moment when I spotted the motorway sign at Belval.

Liaison Micheville-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

Liaison Micheville-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

Liaison Micheville-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

This is in France

Liaison Micheville-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

90 km/h. Usually they would allow 110 km/h on divided highways in France.

Liaison Micheville-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

wildlife crossing

Liaison Micheville-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

Liaison Micheville-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

Well technically the tunnel under Belval will be part of the A4 once it is linked to the rest of the motorway. On the French side it isn’t a motorway because the Luxembourg government has insisted of not having another international motorway that would bring more traffic to the already congested A4 (that’s why the bypass at the last exit has only 1 lane at each direction)

Suburbanist, Luki_SL liked this post
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #166
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A3 expansion

The expansion of A3 to six lanes will now likely require 7 years of construction, up from the originally planned 5 years.

Wort reports: https://www.wort.lu/de/lokales/ausba...097cee25b76e27

The cost is estimated at € 356 million, up from € 159 million reported a few years ago. The long construction time and gigantic cost escalation suggests that the scope of the project has expanded. I hope it involves the reconstruction of the Gasperich and Bettembourg interchanges. Luxembourg interchanges have short merging lanes, single lane connectors, no collector lanes etc. It worked fine for traffic volumes of the 1980s but for not today's heavy traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #167
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Are there plans for widening A6?
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #168
EdiPires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Are there plans for widening A6?

Yes but only between Croix de Gasperich and Strassen
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #169
EdiPires

Quote:
The expansion of A3 to six lanes will now likely require 7 years of construction, up from the originally planned 5 years.

Wort reports: https://www.wort.lu/de/lokales/ausba...097cee25b76e27

The cost is estimated at € 356 million, up from € 159 million reported a few years ago. The long construction time and gigantic cost escalation suggests that the scope of the project has expanded. I hope it involves the reconstruction of the Gasperich and Bettembourg interchanges. Luxembourg interchanges have short merging lanes, single lane connectors, no collector lanes etc. It worked fine for traffic volumes of the 1980s but for not today's heavy traffic.

The Bettembourg interchange will surely be reconstructed. However the Gasperich interchange I doubt it because it already has two 2-lane connectors linking the A3 and the A6 both ways and they won’t upgrade the A1.