daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #2721
highway35

Likes (Received): 1

Here is a video on CRH380A: http://news.joy.cn/video/1594592.htm
highway35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #2722
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel74 View Post
By the way, I found a still from the tv-program introducing CRH380A with a shot of the head:

After I watched the video, I realized the above picture is distorted (stretched horizontally). These trains have the exact same body as regular CRH3.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #2723
Ariel74

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
After I watched the video, I realized the above picture is distorted (stretched horizontally). These trains have the exact same body as regular CRH3.
I don't think so, simply because the position of driver's window on CRH380A is immediately above a line separating the front of the nose from the rest of the car. The Velaro/CRH3 nose does not look like that if you observe closely.

Last edited by Ariel74; May 27th, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Ariel74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #2724
Ariel74

The following video contains a bit more information on the CRH3-based CRH380A:

http://www.56.com/u70/v_NTIwMDYxMjM.html

The journalist in the video explains that:

1) the length of the front car is about 2.3 meter longer than CRH3;
2) the nose is now "lower" than that of CRH3 (he probably means that it is more stretched out, see point 1));
3) CRH380A is capable of regenerative braking.

Last edited by Ariel74; May 27th, 2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #2725
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

this is what I call amazing! thanks ariel
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #2726
Ariel74

Quote:
3) CRH380A is capable of regenerative breaking.
I am a bit confused now. Apparently CRH3 is supposed to have regenerative breaking as well. I am not sure why the journalist in the video mentioned it as a feature of CRH380A then...
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #2727
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Don't all high-speed trains have regenerative braking systems these days?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #2728
Pansori
planquadrat

Also, I'm a little confused now. The CRH380A as shown in the video is the "cousin" of the CRH3 and shares similar design.

Then why is this one labeled as CRH380A as well?

Old May 28th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #2729
foxmulder

Quote:
I don't think so, simply because the position of driver's window on CRH380A is immediately above a line separating the front of the nose from the rest of the car. The Velaro/CRH3 nose does not look like that if you observe closely.

Old May 28th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #2730
Ariel74

Quote:
You have the word of the journalist that the noses are different. It will be plainer to see whether he is right once CRH380A's "bogie hits the rail".

Last edited by Ariel74; May 28th, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #2731
Ariel74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Also, I'm a little confused now.
It's true, the two firms apparently are competing for the same designation :-) There was rumor on the internet - before news about the new CHR380A surfaced - to the effect that Changchun and Siemens weren't getting along with each other very well, that Siemens did not allow Changchun to make the modifications it wanted to make, and that there was therefore only going to be one CRH380, produced by Sifang.

The announcement of Changchun's CRH380A also felt like it was made in a hurry: they don't even have a finished front-car to show yet! And in the report it is constantly claimed that Changchun's CRH380A is the "world's first" train capable of top commercial speed of 380km/h, even though Sifang's CRH380A has been sitting at the Expo for weeks (and has been tested extensively). This might be a sign that the MOR favors Changchun's version, and gives it more publicity than it does for Sifang's CRH380A, even though the latter project is apparently much further along.

I am sure other people know more about the details of the intrigues between Sifang, Changchun, Siemens, and MOR than I do
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #2732
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:

The position of driver's window seems identical in both trains. I think Ariel74 mixed up the actual coupling doors with the whole front which is missing in the first picture.
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #2733
Ariel74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
The position of driver's window seems identical in both trains. I think Ariel74 mixed up the actual coupling doors with the whole front which is missing in the first picture.
It appears that I misunderstood the relationship between driver's window and the small shield around it in the old CRH3.

But as I said, you have the journalist's word for it. One can make a judgment about whether he was reporting accurately once we have finished products and better photos.
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #2734
Pansori
planquadrat

New article in English

Quote:

China's fastest high speed train 380A rolls off production line

CHANGCHUN, May 27 (Xinhua) -- China's fastest high speed train rolled off the production line Thursday in Changchun, capital of the northeastern province of Jilin, a company executive said.

Dong Xiaofeng, chairman of Changchun Railway Vehicles Co., Ltd., said the new generation train "380A" has the maximum operating speed of 380 km per hour.

Changchun Railway Vehicles Co., Ltd. is a subsidiary of China CNR Corp, one of the country's two big train makers.

The trains, which China has the independent intellectual property rights of, will run for the first time on the Beijing-Shanghai high speed railway that is to be completed and opened in 2011.

On March 16, China's Ministry of Railways signed a contract to buy 100 new generation trains from China CNR Corp.

High speed trains with the maximum operating speed of 350 km have been running on three lines that link Beijing and Tianjin, Wuhan and Guangzhou, Zhengzhou and Xi'an.
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #2735
foxmulder

You forgot to make the important point bold, I fixed it for you

Quote:
China's fastest high speed train 380A rolls off production line

CHANGCHUN, May 27 (Xinhua) -- China's fastest high speed train rolled off the production line Thursday in Changchun, capital of the northeastern province of Jilin, a company executive said.

Dong Xiaofeng, chairman of Changchun Railway Vehicles Co., Ltd., said the new generation train "380A" has the maximum operating speed of 380 km per hour.

Changchun Railway Vehicles Co., Ltd. is a subsidiary of China CNR Corp, one of the country's two big train makers.

The trains, which China has the independent intellectual property rights of, will run for the first time on the Beijing-Shanghai high speed railway that is to be completed and opened in 2011.

On March 16, China's Ministry of Railways signed a contract to buy 100 new generation trains from China CNR Corp.

High speed trains with the maximum operating speed of 350 km have been running on three lines that link Beijing and Tianjin, Wuhan and Guangzhou, Zhengzhou and Xi'an.
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #2736
foxmulder

double post.
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #2737
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
and you drink some coffee and open your sleepy eyes to look at the photos I posted again, use your brain too.

And please, stop posting old pictures that we all have seen multiple times.
You need to relax child. It’s a forum for discussion. If you can't have one then maybe you shouldn't be here.

No discussion is too stupid as long as it is on topic. If you think otherwise then you should probably grow up.

The photos and news that you've posted are widely disregarded as bullshit media pulling by Changchun in the Chinese railway forums and is met with widespread doubt. The word now is that we'll wait and see. Many times high profile media grabbing announcements that yields little concrete merit. Hopes are that this isn't one of them.

As for the multiple models with the same classification. My guess is that manufactures are fighting for the honor of the A design. Southern Coach Works have taken the lead with their mockup at the expo along with their test train currently running on the tracks. Changchun seems to be pulling for the same title by their little announcement.

Whatever. I couldn't see some of your images when I've made my post earlier and therefore, was confused as to the train that you were actually referring to. Seems you took my error pretty seriously. Well for that, I apologize for any heart aching moments that I may have caused you with my disagreements. I hope to make less unforgivable error such as this in the future and never become confused with anything you say again. After all, I wouldn't want to cause any health problems on your side.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower

Last edited by UD2; May 28th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2738
Ariel74

Quote:
You forgot to make the important point bold, I fixed it for you
It's pretty much a meaningless sentence. In fact, the MOR has been claiming this for CRH2 and CRH3. But as is well known, not only the basic design of CRH3 stems from Siemens, but some of the most essential components are still being imported.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #2739
Ariel74

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
I couldn't see some of your images when I've made my post earlier and therefore, was confused as to the train that you were actually referring to.
What's the point of the rest of your long-winded post? admit your mistake and move on. Life is short.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #2740
Ariel74

In another interesting twist: reports say that the electric motor of the CRH3-based CRH380A is from Hitachi.

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv