daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #4241
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1779

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbz View Post
I believe you would not say so if you were one of these people.

this is Xi'an old railway station few days ago before the new one was opened.

And that just shows a ticketing system that's outdated and inefficient.

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #4242
cbz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
And that just shows a ticketing system that's outdated and inefficient.
well, then you need to upgrade whole station besides ticketing system

damn, i hate people saying railway station is too big for china

Last edited by cbz; January 13th, 2011 at 01:30 AM.
cbz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #4243
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

They better start internet sales of tickets soon. These people must be pissed off to wait for hours in the cold just to buy a ticket while it could be done in two minutes online from home computer or even a smartphone.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #4244
cbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
They better start internet sales of tickets soon. These people must be pissed off to wait for hours in the cold just to buy a ticket while it could be done in two minutes online from home computer or even a smartphone.
I guess NCT doesn't have much experience of traveling by train in china. There are only very small portion of passengers buying tickets at railway station. I only did once during past 30 years. - at NCT's hometown shanghai

I believe most of these people are waiting to enter the waiting hall.

Last edited by cbz; January 13th, 2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #4245
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

Impressive. I hope the line to Singapore gets build, along with a classy (although smaller) station like this!
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #4246
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
I guess NCT doesn't have much experience of traveling by train in china. There are only very small portion of passengers buying tickets at railway station. I only did once during past 30 years.

I believe most of these people are waiting to enter the waiting hall.
I have asked the question before relating to my upcoming trip to China. I want to use Guangzhou-Wuhan CRH but as much as I undertand the only way to get the ticket is to buy it at the station (from either ticket office or ticket machine). Alternativelly it can be done via travel agent or hotel but it may take a day or so which is also a hassle. Is there any other way to get it without going to the station and extra time?

Anyway, I think I read somewhere that Chinese MOR is planning Internet ticket sales some time in 2012? The reality is that there is no Internet ticketing yet and this is a major drawback when it comes to ticket sales. So I guess NCT and others who criticize it have a point.
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #4247
cbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon91 View Post
Impressive. I hope the line to Singapore gets build, along with a classy (although smaller) station like this!
oh, yeah, railway station in Singapore really sucks comparing to its airport。The first time i went there, the taxi driver call railway station “火车头” (Locomotive, or train head) which i had no clue what he talking about

Last edited by cbz; January 13th, 2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #4248
cbz

Quote:
I have asked the question before relating to my upcoming trip to China. I want to use Guangzhou-Wuhan CRH but as much as I undertand the only way to get the ticket is to buy it at the station (from either ticket office or ticket machine). Alternativelly it can be done via travel agent or hotel but it may take a day or so which is also a hassle. Is there any other way to get it without going to the station and extra time?

Anyway, I think I read somewhere that Chinese MOR is planning Internet ticket sales some time in 2012? The reality is that there is no Internet ticketing yet and this is a major drawback when it comes to ticket sales. So I guess NCT and others who criticize it have a point.
sorry, don't want to mislead you, i mean conventional train ticket . CRH ticket is another issue which i believe you need to buy at railway station most of time,
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #4249
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3337

Quote:
oh, yeah, railway station in Singapore really sucks comparing to its airport。The first time i went there, the taxi driver call railway station “火车头” which i had no clue what he talking about
Well, that doesn't belong to Singapore. It belongs to Malaysia's KTM. Anyway, in July this year, they will cease operation at the station and move to Woodlands. We are hoping that Singapore and Malaysia would be able to agree on a High Speed Rail and have a new station that is mch more modern and grand with a good location.
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #4250
cbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith252 View Post
Well, that doesn't belong to Singapore. It belongs to Malaysia's KTM. Anyway, in July this year, they will cease operation at the station and move to Woodlands. We are hoping that Singapore and Malaysia would be able to agree on a High Speed Rail and have a new station that is mch more modern and grand with a good location.
Oh, yeah, i remember that now - it belongs to Malaysia. Hope relationship of two countries improved a lot now, they dont threat to cut your guys' water supply now ?
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #4251
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3337

Nope, we are on better terms now. Anyway, I hope that they will be able to to do the High Speed Rail and connect all the way to China. It would be quite nice to have an alternative to flying.
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #4252
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Nice pictures cbz, thanks...
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #4253
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Quote:

it takes like 2 minutes of waiting in line, the in-person ticket office is very efficient, and if you don't want to deal with them, you can go to the electronic kiosk. And seriously don't worry, just buy the tickets right before you get on the train, maybe an hour or two in advance at most (you can take pics of the awesome station in the meantime). Going to the station days before is completely unnecessary at all times for CRH
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #4254
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
it takes like 2 minutes of waiting in line, the in-person ticket office is very efficient, and if you don't want to deal with them, you can go to the electronic kiosk. And seriously don't worry, just buy the tickets right before you get on the train, maybe an hour or two in advance at most (you can take pics of the awesome station in the meantime). Going to the station days before is completely unnecessary at all times for CRH
Thanks for the advice... you know I'll have 2 days or less to stay arund in one location (primarily Shenzhen and Guangzhou) which means if I don't get the ticket to Wuhan and back then my dream of riding world's fastest train will be gone forever (or at least until I'll ride Beijing-Shanghai which is not to happen for at least next 2 years or so), so I can't afford anything but getting the ticked on the day I'll need it. Also considering that this is one of the major purposes of my trip then the only option is to get that ticket and ideally for the fastest service that day even if I have to pay extra for 1st class.

Also what about short-distance trains? I would assume the best way of getting from Shenzhen to Guangzhou is the D train (which, if I am correct, is CRH1) departing every 10 or so minutes? Is it easy to just get to the station and get the ticket to the nearest departing train on that day or is it not as easy as I assume? The demand should be high in such a busy and densely populated area.
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #4255
gdolniak
Mememe...

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
this is Xi'an old railway station few days ago before the new one was opened.
(...)
Dear cbz, you are comparing old Xi'an station, where the traditional, cross-country trains still stop, but not CRH, and brand new Xi'an North station, where only CRH trains stop. This is like comparing potatoes with oranges, nothing else. The old station will still have such crowds, until, as one of the people here said, the ticket system will get some major overhaul. Most/Majority of the people who stand in the lines to get inside the station does not have means to buy the tickets for the CRH trains. Since the picture was taken recently, you can see there traditional crowds of people trying to get home for the Chinese New Year (such crowds are not there every day of a year).

On the photo of a ticket booths in the new station, look up to see the train schedules: 10:45, 11:30, 13:00, 14:30, all CRH. Can anyone confirm, if there are any other trains stopping there?
gdolniak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #4256
HunanChina

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
damn, i hate people saying railway station is too big for china

Hey, boy. I just want to get my ticket in the shortest time, get in my train in the shortest time and get to my destination in the shortest time. So, It's concern little with How big the Station it is.

So the most important is convenient and efficient.
HunanChina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #4257
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1779

Those pictures in post 4104 show the once-a-year demand spike around the Chinese New Year where migrant workers go home. Unfortunately they are not the section of the demand moving to CRH at the new stations, so will continue to suffer the overcrowding. 'Crowds' at Shanghai Hongqiao with already 10 trains per hour during busy periods is still far from cosy, with shops and restaurants empty and expensive. It really isn't difficult to design a station that's both high in capacity and compact.

The first picture in post 1401 does show people queuing up for tickets, as ticket halls are tucked away in the corner of station buildings and routes for entry/exit are nowhere near ticket halls. Turn-up-and-go is only possible if you are travelling outside of peaks and don't mind what you are paying, i.e. railway enthusiasts on a Western income.

I've bought railway tickets twice in Shanghai, in the summers 2008 and 2010. The first time my dad and I tried Shanghai Station and the ticket hall unbearably crowded; the second time I used a ticket outlet next to the Oriental Pearl and queued with an arm in a plaster for 30 minutes under the scortching sun. There is a third way which is by telephone, but instead of being told which trains have spare tickets, you have to specify the train before knowing availability, and repeated 'sold out' messages, technical glitches of phone-bill for a 30-minute phone-call mean you might as well suffer what the whether and stone-faced ticket clerk throw at you.
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #4258
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 677

Quote:

If I understood right, China doesn't have centralized ticket system (for now of course)
maybe till 2012 they plan to implement one...
AlexisMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #4259
cbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunanChina View Post
Hey, boy. I just want to get my ticket in the shortest time, get in my train in the shortest time and get to my destination in the shortest time. So, It's concern little with How big the Station it is.

So the most important is convenient and efficient.
I know, i know.. people now hold very high expectation and want infrastructure perfectly built - especially for their hometowns. I saw NCT constantly complaining how bad and inefficient shanghai's CBD\road\metro\railway were planned, designed and implemented even though shanghai has the best infrastructure in the country. So i didn't say anything when you said changsha has the second worst new railway station

Last edited by cbz; January 13th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #4260
cbz

[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdolniak View Post
Dear cbz, you are comparing old Xi'an station, where the traditional, cross-country trains still stop, but not CRH, and brand new Xi'an North station, where only CRH trains stop. This is like comparing potatoes with oranges, nothing else. The old station will still have such crowds, until, as one of the people here said, the ticket system will get some major overhaul. Most/Majority of the people who stand in the lines to get inside the station does not have means to buy the tickets for the CRH trains. Since the picture was taken recently, you can see there traditional crowds of people trying to get home for the Chinese New Year (such crowds are not there every day of a year).

On the photo of a ticket booths in the new station, look up to see the train schedules: 10:45, 11:30, 13:00, 14:30, all CRH. Can anyone confirm, if there are any other trains stopping there?
Sir, i am not comparing airport to railway station. How come comparing the railway stations in the same city is comparing potatoes with oranges? I am comparing rotten apple to shiny apple.

I understand xian new station only serves few CRH services now, but it doesn't rule out that in the near future conventional services could be shifted to new one. Chengdu has a similar new station completed, the plan is to move all the services in old station to new one and re-build old one.

I saw people here often blame ticketing system when they saw china's railway stations jammed by people and suggest better online ticketing system will be the solution. Do we really think MOR that stupid and not think of any cost-effective way? We need to know that ticket offices at railway stations in china are mainly for sale current day's ticket. Non-current day tickets (conventional train) are available at other ticket booths. Xian has more than 30 ticket offices with 84 windows distributed all over the city, not mention hot phone line and countless travel agents can be utilized for ticket purchase. Still, there are tons of unplanned travelers swarm to stations at peak seaon, any railway station in china has to reserve quite amount of tickets for this, internet or online ticketing system does not solve the problem. how many of you buy ticket via internet for today's flight. The problem here is overall capacity of a station, not the issue of one or two factors like ticketing system

Also, keep in mind that most major railway stations in china have different buildings for ticket sale and departure/arrival. Overcrowded queues at entrance of waiting hall have nothing to do with ticketing system. why not build bigger station to make those people's life less miserable, brute force way does work in this case.

Last edited by cbz; January 13th, 2011 at 06:45 PM.

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv