daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #4761
gdolniak
Mememe...

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Really? Whats the ridership like?
I don't know. What I know, the line is heavily subsidized so the steam trains can run on this route.
gdolniak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4762
Rail1435
Railway professor

Likes (Received): 1

Belarus locomotives

They will be quite same as HXD1. Only 1520mm instead of 1435 gauge, and security system for Belarus.
Rail1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #4763
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
Best that means the place is easily accessible yet it provide us with natural and breathtaking scenery.

Most scenic....well...I've just realized that it has a very diverse meaning, considering the diverse scenery in China itself......

Well, what about trainspotting with mountain scenery?
This is surreal.

skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #4764
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Where is the best and most scenic place to do trainspotting in China?
Well this is certainly not the best or most scenic place, but I would sure like to watch trains here, look at how close you can get to them! (Ning'an City in Heilongjiang Province)

Definitely scenic, but alas, a sight you can see no more. Taken 7 years ago.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; April 28th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #4765
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Well this is certainly not the best or most scenic place, but I would sure like to watch trains here, look at how close you can get to them! (Ning'an City in Heilongjiang Province)

Definitely scenic, but alas, a sight you can see no more. Taken 7 years ago.
I'd pass out...I get creeped out when metro stations don't have a barrier between the platform and tracks lol
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:47 AM   #4766
gdolniak
Mememe...

Railways handle heavy traffic as holiday begins

A series of articles about the railway passenger traffic in China during the long weekend (May 1st holiday).

Before the holiday:

Quote:
Railways handle heavy traffic as holiday begins
Updated: 2012-04-30 07:12
(Xinhua)

BEIJING - As the three-day International Labor Day holiday begins in China, a record number of 8.2 million passengers traveled by train on Sunday, China's Ministry of Railways said.

In response to the surge in passengers, the ministry arranged 303 extra trains on Sunday to provide sufficient transport capacity.

The ministry on Friday predicted that the country's railway network will carry around 31.1 million passengers during the holiday.

This year's International Labor Day holiday runs from Sunday to Tuesday.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_15176385.htm
After the holiday:

Quote:
Railways see record traffic in Labor Day holiday
Updated: 2012-05-02 00:16
(Xinhua)

BEIJING - China's Ministry of Railways said Tuesday the country's railways carried a record high of nearly 30 million passengers during the International Labor Day holiday.

The ministry said a total of 29.99 million people traveled by train during the four days from Saturday to Tuesday, up 1.32 million, or 4.6 percent from the same period last year.

On Tuesday alone, train passengers rose 6.2 percent from a year earlier to 8.05 million.

This year, the International Labor Day holiday in China runs from Sunday to Tuesday.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_15182286.htm
Maybe a record, but it was almost 4% lower than earlier, predicted number of travelers.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:01 AM   #4767
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Didn't they reform the May Day holiday just recently - shortening it from the week-long break? Would past years' results be comparable?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM   #4768
gdolniak
Mememe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Didn't they reform the May Day holiday just recently - shortening it from the week-long break? Would past years' results be comparable?
I was trying to do some search for last year's statistics, but with no success. I wonder about the data too. It would be great to compare them.
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #4769
gdolniak
Mememe...

Heavy-haul railway to link Shanxi to sea outlet

Quote:
Heavy-haul railway to link Shanxi to sea outlet
Updated: 2012-05-05 14:56
(Xinhua)

ZHENGZHOU - Construction on a heavy-haul railway that will link major coal producers in Shanxi province with a sea outlet in eastern Shandong province began on Saturday.

The Luliang-Rizhao freight railway, being built with an investment of 99.8 billion yuan ($15.8 billion), will run through the provinces of Shanxi, Henan and Shandong at a total length of 1,260 km.

The railway is expected to ease road traffic bottlenecks created by transporting large amounts of coal from Shanxi to coastal areas.

The railway is slated to go into operation by 2014 with an annual transportation capacity of 200 million tonnes of coal.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_15217201.htm
Anyone can share a map with the above mentioned Luliang-Rizhao line?
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #4770
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

an article I come cross...

China’s Land Bridge to Turkey Creates New Eurasian Geopolitical Potentials

Quote:

big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #4771
gdolniak
Mememe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Interesting how the Kunming - Delhi "high speed line" skips Dhaka and Calcutta by few hundred kilometers and the northern spur through Ulan-Bator is surely to generate lots of traffic...
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4772
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

these are pipe dreams
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #4773
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Xian-Urimqi line and Turkey's high speed construction makes things easier.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4774
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdolniak View Post
Interesting how the Kunming - Delhi "high speed line" skips Dhaka and Calcutta by few hundred kilometers
That one makes a little sense - not including Bangladesh.

Others are worse.

Regarding low speed railways - exactly how is Khorgos-Zhetigen progressing on Kazakh side?
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #4775
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
That one makes a little sense - not including Bangladesh.

Others are worse.
"Transportpolitic" ... Bangladesh used to be "East Pakistan"(was a provincial state of Pakistan), an area India helped to "liberate".

"others are worse"? ... I think of it as paths of least resistance and that Europe and the "Middle East" are the prime connection points.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #4776
gdolniak
Mememe...

Railway passengers hit 606m in first 4 months

Railway passengers hit 606m in first 4 months
Updated: 2012-05-07 13:17
(Xinhua)

BEIJING - A total of 606.48 million people traveled via China's railways during the first four months of 2012, a year-on-year increase of 2.8 percent, the Ministry of Railways said on Sunday.

Passenger numbers increased the most in April due to rising travel demand during the Qingming Festival (April 2 to 4) and Labor Day holiday (April 28 to May 1), the ministry said.

The number of passengers traveling on trains rose 8.6 percent year-on-year in April, 7.4 percentage points higher than the growth registered in the first quarter, the ministry said.

Railways carried 1.33 billion tonnes of cargo in the first four months, up 3.8 percent from the previous year, the ministry added.

The ministry said it has increased support for the transport of important production materials and living necessities such as coal, grain, oil and chemical fertilizer.

The railways carried 785.34 million tonnes of coal, up 6.6 percent year-on-year in the first four months, while the transport of grain increased 15 percent to 35.96 million tonnes during the period, the ministry said.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/busines...t_15225609.htm
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #4777
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyridgeline View Post
"Transportpolitic" ... Bangladesh used to be "East Pakistan"(was a provincial state of Pakistan), an area India helped to "liberate".
wtf does this have to do with anything in this thread?

Talk about trains, not names of countries.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #4778
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
wtf does this have to do with anything in this thread?

Talk about trains, not names of countries.
It has a lot to do with the alignment of the proposed line, it is a valid theory. Althought I doubt that that boicotting Bangladesh was the real reason for the alignment. I think that these plans are so raw and unrealistic that whoever made the map probably didn't think so much and skipped the region for no good reason. I doubt it was a deliberate attempt to sideline Bangladesh. Just look at other big mistakes in the map, like the previous one even had a magical crossing over the caspian sea.

In general I think that China-Europe railway via India or Uzbequistan is non-sense. Most countries in this region are poor. I think that the most logical path is going inside China itself as eastmost as possible to Urumqi first.

From Urumqi it could to Almaty, an economic center in Kazakhstan. And from there go through the south cities of Kazakhstan, then to Atyrau and from there to Volvograd. From Volvograd the path to Europe is clear.

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #4779
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
In general I think that China-Europe railway via India or Uzbequistan is non-sense. Most countries in this region are poor. I think that the most logical path is going inside China itself as eastmost as possible to Urumqi first.

From Urumqi it could to Almaty, an economic center in Kazakhstan. And from there go through the south cities of Kazakhstan, then to Atyrau and from there to Volvograd. From Volvograd the path to Europe is clear.
Urumqi-Almaty railway is under construction now - the Khorgos-Zhetigen line. What is the state of progress?

Building in poor countries makes sense. They are not buying much Chinese goods, but the land for railway building is cheap to buy, builders cheap to hire, and they can themselves sell cheap products of labour or nature to China.

Railway though Kasakhstan to Russia already exists. It is a short cut to the detour via Transmanchurian - but it still goes through Russia.

If all railways between China and Europe go through Russia, Russia gets to charge monopoly price. It follows that China needs a railway to Europe around Russia, and because of Caspian Sea this means a railway through Iran.

Regarding the detour through Mongolia, it makes little sense to connect China Proper - there already are Transmanchurian railway direct to Russia and Transmongolian shortcut.

But how about more connections to Outer Mongolia itself? Is China building any new railways to Outer Mongolia, for example to mines there?
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4780
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

^ Now it makes much more sense. From Almaty it could reach Europe via Uzbequistan, Iran and Turkey. I wonder if that line to Almaty is being built in standard gauge. If yes, then with some more building one could make all the way from China to Europe in standard gauge.

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv