daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #4841
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
But the government will face a backlash from passengers who are forced to take high speed trains, which is essentially a subsidy to freight customers. China's rail density is still only a fraction of that of Europe or Japan, and even the six tracks on the Shanghai-Nanjing corridor is insufficient. China simply can't build too much infrastructure now.
What are the occupancy rates for the high speed railway now?
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:50 AM   #4842
everywhere
The Explorer

Likes (Received): 805

Passenger rail service to Lhasa gets boost
(Shanghai Daily/Xinhua, July 2)

Quote:
CHINA will increase passenger train services from major cities to Lhasa to cope with a travel surge that has rippled across the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau since a landmark railway opened six years ago, railway officials said on Sunday.

Trains will travel daily between Guangzhou, capital of south China's Guangdong Province, and Lhasa starting from July 9, said Wang Tao, a spokesman for the Qinghai-Tibet Railway Company. Chengdu-Lhasa trains also will soon follow the same schedule.

Seven major Chinese cities currently have Lhasa-bound trains. All are expected to operate on a daily basis in the future, Wang said. Among them, Beijing, Shanghai and Xining already have daily trains to Lhasa.

The Qinghai-Tibet Railway, spanning 1,956 km from Xining to Lhasa, has transported 52.76 million passengers since it started on July 1, 2006, said Bao Chuxiong, general manager of Qinghai-Tibet Railway Co.

Bao said railway has become the "first choice" for most Tibet travelers. The number of Qinghai-Tibet Railway travelers has grown by about 10 percent annually, he said. Last year, it hit 10.6 million, up 65.6 percent compared with 2006.

But the increase has strained railway operators, as there are not enough oxygenated trains to meet demand, said Ma Xiaojun, another official with the Qinghai-Tibet Railway Co.

Because of low oxygen content on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau, trains traveling on the railway have to use sealed and oxygenated train cars. Currently, all Lhasa-bound passengers board oxygenated trains from the departure city, but this arrangement will become impossible when all services are offered on a daily basis, Ma said.

Starting this month, passengers on Guangzhou-Lhasa trains will need to switch from ordinary trains to oxygenated trains at the Xining railway station, like transferring between flights in an airport, he said.

"The mass transfer, usually involving hundreds or even thousands of passengers, is really a scene to watch," the official said. "The railway station operators have undergone many drills to be prepared."

Railway officials said that if the transfers work properly, efforts to increase Lhasa-bound train services will be expedited so that people can easily ride a train to Tibet from any Chinese city connected to the country's railway network.
everywhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:56 PM   #4843
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1214

From October 2006 five pairs of passenger trains run between Golmud and Lhasa, and one more pair between Xining and Golmud. The line has a capacity of eight pairs of passenger trains, and the carriages are specially built and have an oxygen supply for each passenger. Every passenger train has a doctor. [@ 2:33 - NJ2 locomotive (#0004), the world's fastest at high altitudes]

- wikipedia

Last edited by skyridgeline; July 2nd, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #4844
navingunaratne

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone have the pictures of new DMU designed for Sri Lanka by CSR Quindao Sifang Co. Ltd completed on May 2012 (SF-D22 DMU) ?
navingunaratne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #4845
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by navingunaratne View Post
Does anyone have the pictures of new DMU designed for Sri Lanka by CSR Quindao Sifang Co. Ltd completed on May 2012 (SF-D22 DMU) ?
I believe this batch is the third batch of exported DMUs to Sri Lanka, the model should be identical to the ones shipped out in 2008 (pic below), I don't have pictures of the current batch.

Here is the initial batch from 2000.
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #4846
navingunaratne

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I believe this batch is the third batch of exported DMUs to Sri Lanka, the model should be identical to the ones shipped out in 2008 (pic below), I don't have pictures of the current batch.

Thank you for replying and posting the pictures. The below pic is categorized as class S9 by Sri Lanka Railways and it was imported in 2005. Other pic shows Class S10 with was imported in 2010. The DMU im referring is Class S12 and first batch will be shipped to Sri Lanka this month. This class S12 DMU has 3 variations (DMU-KV, DMU-UC and DMU-AC)
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #4847
everywhere
The Explorer

15 locomotives exported to Angola
(China Daily, July 11)

Quote:
On July 9, five CKD8F diesel locomotives were lifted onto the deck of the "Saba" cargo ship which was to set sail to Angola. This marks the first time that the CNR Dalian Locomotive & Rolling Stock Co Ltd under the China CNR Co Ltd has exported diesel locomotives to Angola. Ten other locomotives will be shipped soon.

Since 1997, diesel locomotives produced by the CNR Dalian Locomotive & Rolling Stock Co Ltd have been exported to three African countries including Tanzania-Zambia, Nigeria, and Congo.

Angola, located in southwest Africa, has 2,761 kilometers of railway and in the past has mainly purchased American locomotives. With the development of the railway in Angola and its modernization starting from 2002, a great number of new locomotives are needed. In 2011, by virtue of leading advantages in research and manufacturing, the CNR Dalian Locomotive & Rolling Stock Co Ltd beat other locomotive providers and gained the order for 15 diesel locomotives.
more: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/m/dalia...t_15569927.htm
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #4848
luhai167

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
What are the occupancy rates for the high speed railway now?
A little personal experience here:

Just to give you an idea, 2nd class seat G32 HSR Morning Train
[IMG]http://i45.************/18gmpv.jpg[/IMG]

I arrived at Qufu Station at 10am hoping to book a train that day from Qufu to Qingdao, all sold out at the station. The ticket lady advised me to get a ticket to Jinan, then book a ticket to Qingdao there. (There about 40 trains going from Jinan and Qingdao) So she booked me a ticket on the G32 to Jinan (I was told there there only about 20 seats left on that train.) After, I arrive at Jinan, I had wait in this long line.
[IMG]http://i46.************/2ntcojs.jpg[/IMG]

I literally saw a 3pm train to Qingdao disappear right in front of my eyes. ~20 Seat at first, then after a refresh 5 seats, then gone.... Anyways, I end up getting this one. Had to spent a few hours Jinan, but good thing the station is close to Daming lake, so not all is lost. Once on got on the train at 7:30pm, it's full. Quite a few people with "standing" ticket too, no idea why that is even possible on HSR line. (BTW, I like how they display "1st class soft seat" as "soft seat" and "2nd class soft seat" as "Hard Seat")
[IMG]http://i47.************/2mx4neb.jpg[/IMG]

So yeah, occupancy rates are quite high on popular lines during normal hours. And for backpackers like me, it's not necessarily a good thing.

Last edited by luhai167; July 14th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
luhai167 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4849
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai167 View Post
And for backpackers like he, it's not necessarily a good thing.
You should make a booking on the Internet.
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #4850
luhai167

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
You should make a booking on the Internet.
No national ID card... Also I didn't make a early booking at agencies because I don't know if I'm gonna spent one day or two days at Mount Tai, hence affecting Qufu. (the booking from Tai'an to Qufu, isn't smooth, but Qufu to Qingdao is nearly impossible on the day of or the day before. Only 3 trains... Though come think of it, I should have booked for Qufu->Qingdao while booking my Tai'an -> Qufu. I blame being tired and disoriented from climbing mount tai.

Anyways, quite a trip
[IMG]http://i50.************/33pd6vn.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by luhai167; July 14th, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #4851
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
No national ID card... Also I didn't make a early booking at agencies because I don't know if I'm gonna spent one day or two days at Mount Tai, hence affecting Qufu. (the booking from Tai'an to Qufu, isn't smooth, but Qufu to Qingdao is nearly impossible on the day of or the day before. Only 3 trains... Though come think of it, I should have booked for Qufu->Qingdao while booking my Tai'an -> Qufu. I blame being tired and disoriented from climbing mount tai.
You don't need an ID card to use 12306. What you need is a Chinese mobile phone number to receive SMS, as well as a Chinese bank account, which should take less than 10 minutes to open one if you go to the right place.
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #4852
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
I arrived at Qufu Station at 10am hoping to book a train that day from Qufu to Qingdao, all sold out at the station. The ticket lady advised me to get a ticket to Jinan, then book a ticket to Qingdao there. (There about 40 trains going from Jinan and Qingdao) So she booked me a ticket on the G32 to Jinan (I was told there there only about 20 seats left on that train.) After, I arrive at Jinan, I had wait in this long line.

I literally saw a 3pm train to Qingdao disappear right in front of my eyes. ~20 Seat at first, then after a refresh 5 seats, then gone.... Anyways, I end up getting this one. Had to spent a few hours Jinan, but good thing the station is close to Daming lake, so not all is lost. Once on got on the train at 7:30pm, it's full. Quite a few people with "standing" ticket too, no idea why that is even possible on HSR line. (BTW, I like how they display "1st class soft seat" as "soft seat" and "2nd class soft seat" as "Hard Seat")

So yeah, occupancy rates are quite high on popular lines during normal hours. And for backpackers like me, it's not necessarily a good thing.
It's totally possible to buy the Jinan-Qingdao ticket at Qufu with a 5 yuan surcharge. I did that when I hoped to travel Beijing-Shanghai one afternoon by HSR. I eventually took an express train to Tianjin and then took a standing ticket on a regular train which originated in Shenyang and arrived at Shanghai. My journey was about 22 hours longer than expected, but I got there.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #4853
luhai167

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
You don't need an ID card to use 12306. What you need is a Chinese mobile phone number to receive SMS, as well as a Chinese bank account, which should take less than 10 minutes to open one if you go to the right place.
Thanks for the tip, I'll probably need to open a bank account then. I was using my dad's card (drawing from ATM, then use cash payment), but I'm afraid to used it for anything else since it's tied to his national ID.

I did ask for Jinan->Qingdao ticket from Qufu station. The lady says it's all out, but there are some tickets (returns? special reserve?) shows only at Jinan station local system but not on the inter-system.

Anyways, this discussion is just to say, on HSR trains are fairly crowded and ticket aren't that easy to come by. So if you're expecting empty train, be prepared to wait in lines. (Though my style is always book non-sleeper tickets at the station, since I would rather wait in the station than feel rushed while sightseeing.)
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4854
everywhere
The Explorer

Railway investment slumps by 100B yuan
(China Daily, July 16)

Quote:
Fixed-asset investment in China's railway sector fell 36.1 percent year-on-year to 177.75 billion yuan ($278.68 billion) in the first half of this year, 100.37 billion yuan less than the same period in 2011, according to the Ministry of Railways.

Investment in railway infrastructure amounted to 148.71 billion yuan, down by 38.6 percent year-on-year.
more: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/busines...t_15585911.htm
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4855
luhai167

Quote:
Originally Posted by everywhere View Post
Railway investment slumps by 100B yuan
(China Daily, July 16)

more: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/busines...t_15585911.htm
As long as Shanghai–Kunming HSR opens in time, I'm fine. Don't wonna take K135/138 next time I go back to China. That train has bed bugs.
Old July 17th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #4856
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Apparently state council was furious about the lack of progress of railway projects so MOR was scrambling to get funding to accelerate infrastructure project, I expect investment will shoot up in the second half.
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #4857
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Do you have a list of projects that will be resumed/accelerated?
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #4858
everywhere
The Explorer

Local govts to construct inter-city rails
(China Daily USA, July 17)

Quote:
The Ministry of Railways will withdraw from directing inter-city railway construction and hand over the task to local governments, Economic Information reported, citing unnamed sources within the National Development and Reform Commission, China's economy planner.
more: http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/busi...t_15591924.htm

China's railways daily travel hits 6 million
(China Daily, July 18)

Quote:
BEIJING -- China's railways have handled six million passengers daily since the start of this month, when the peak summer travel season began, the Ministry of Railways announced Tuesday.

A daily average of 6.04 million passengers traveled by rail during the first 15 days of July, the ministry said in a statement on its website. The largest number traveled on July 7, when 6.5 million passengers took trains, according to the statement.
more: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/busines...t_15594082.htm

China exports electric bullet train to Georgia
(China Daily, July 18)

Quote:
BEIJING -- A Chinese electric locomotive manufacturer said on Tuesday it had delivered electric bullet trains that could operate at a maximum speed of 140 kilometers per hour to Georgia.

The electric bullet trains, manufactured by Puzhen Co Ltd, a subsidiary of China South Locomotive and Rolling Stock Corporation Ltd, the country's largest train manufacturer, marked a breakthrough for Chinese train makers to tap the former Soviet market.

more: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/busines...t_15594129.htm

Last edited by everywhere; July 18th, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
everywhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #4859
everywhere
The Explorer

China's railway giant announces 126 million USD manufacturing center in Malaysia
(Shanghai Daily/Xinhua, July 18)

Quote:
KUALA LUMPUR, July 18 (Xinhua) -- China's leading railways manufacturer, China South Locomotive and Rolling Stock Corporation Ltd. (CSR), unveiled a plan Wednesday to set up its ASEAN manufacturing center in Malaysia, citing great market potential in the region as well as the close China-Malaysia relations.

CSR Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive Co Ltd. (CSR ZELC), a subsidiary under CSR and an active player in Malaysia's mass transit projects, announced the plan of the 50-acre facilities located in Batu Gajah of the Perak State, some 200 kilometers from the capital of Kuala Lumpur.

The company is investing up to 400 million ringgit (126.7 million U.S. dollars) in the "CSR ASEAN Rail Center", which would cover all-in-one scope of work of production, assembly, testing, overhaul and refurbishment, said Luo Chongfu, the company' s Vice President of Investment and Strategic Development.
more: http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...a.asp?id=83842
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:10 AM   #4860
navingunaratne

S12 DMU - CSR Qingdao

http://images.china.cn/attachement/j...117360d902.jpg
This is the first batch of S12 DMUs I was referring. Does any one has the construction stage pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv