daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #5301
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Yup it's a HSR tunnel so G and D trains can go from Beijing West to Beijing Station.

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #5302
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdolniak View Post
Maybe not directly related to railway, but there seem to be an increasing number of articles on how developers destroy historic sites.
Railways and tombs going way back in China, even in the 19 century when very few tracks are built in China.
http://tv.cntv.cn/video/C18529/892c4...bbcd9ad6924ca8
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5303
hmmwv

HXD1D in commercial service

Highcliff liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:19 AM   #5304
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post

Seems it actually is the legendary railway tunnel, not a metro tunnel.

I wasn't even aware they had already started construction :P
It's 81% completed by May 30th. The tunnel will open in 2014.

source

Highcliff liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:49 PM   #5305
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

I've been reading about this on and off for years. This should have been completed a while ago.

http://www.cctv.com/english/special/...9/103579.shtml
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:19 AM   #5306
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I've been reading about this on and off for years. This should have been completed a while ago.
Yes I believe this large HSR tunnel under downtown Beijing is now complete.
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #5307
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
July 8

China ex-rail minister Liu Zhijun gets suspended death for bribery

China gave former railways minister Liu Zhijun a suspended death sentence for bribery and abuse of power, the official Xinhua news agency said on Monday, in a case seen as a test of President Xi Jinping’s resolve to crack down on pervasive graft.
Reuters in Beijing
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #5308
drezdinski

Likes (Received): 7332

Rest of life in his own flat, that's pretty much it...
drezdinski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #5309
xinxingren

Likes (Received): 71

Meanwhile his successor hits the ground running http://dynamic.12306.cn/surweb/

Customer Satisfaction Survey with Redeemable Bonus Points
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #5310
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezdinski View Post

Punishment is not severe enough?
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #5311
gdolniak
Mememe...

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
Compare it with punishments other people get, when they are not officials: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/14/wo...a/14china.html (fortunately for the farmer, the sentence was dropped)
gdolniak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #5312
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

A staff member from the maintenace crew checks a train in Chengdu, capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province, July 8, 2013. Known as the "Train Hospital", the maintenance crew provide 24-hour-services for examining and cleaning trains. (Xinhua/Xue Yubin)

Staff members from the maintenace crew clean a train in Chengdu, capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province, July 8, 2013. Known as the "Train Hospital", the maintenance crew provide 24-hour-services for examining and cleaning trains. (Xinhua/Xue Yubin)

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

FM 2258, Pansori, big-dog, Highcliff liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #5313
hmmwv

Quote:
I think it's a fair sentence, personally I think it's a little bit harsh because of his historical contribution to the Chinese railway system, no one in the world has done so much for a country in terms of rail transit than him (well besides Stevenson perhaps). I'd rather have ten corrupt officials who get things done than a clean one whose only goal is to keep the status quo.

Pansori, dao123, big-dog liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #5314
dao123

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I think it's a fair sentence, personally I think it's a little bit harsh because of his historical contribution to the Chinese railway system, no one in the world has done so much for a country in terms of rail transit than him (well besides Stevenson perhaps). I'd rather have ten corrupt officials who get things done than a clean one whose only goal is to keep the status quo.
Clicking the 'like' button is not enough.
I can't agree with you more.
He wrote an epic story.

It is said that when new high-speed train prototypes were being tested, Liu would grab a few high-ranking railway officials, get on-board the driver's cabin with them. If anything went wrong with the prototype, Liu, together with these officials are the ones to pay with their lives.

I wish him well.
dao123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #5315
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Great pictures, hkskyline. Thanks a lot for sharing. Do you have similar ones for high speed trains.

By the way, I think punishment for Liu is fair because he was a minister. He should have been an example for others.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #5316
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Great pictures, hkskyline. Thanks a lot for sharing. Do you have similar ones for high speed trains.

By the way, I think punishment for Liu is fair because he was a minister. He should have been an example for others.
No .. I will keep an eye and post in the high-speed thread if I come across any. I came across this set by chance after browsing the news website.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #5317
hkskyline
Hong Kong

A freight train runs past the Kunlun Mountain on the Qinghai-Tibet Railway in northwest China's Qinghai Province July 9, 2013. Within seven years after its operation, the Qinghai-Tibet Railway, the longest and highest railway in the world, has carried nearly 64 million passengers and 300 million tonnes of goods. (Xinhua/Hou Deqiang)

Highcliff, big-dog, rafaelkafka liked this post
Old July 12th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #5318
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezdinski View Post
Is it not also true that he single handled completely modernized and overhauled one of the worlds biggest networks? Lets give him credit for this too.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #5319
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Kind of remind me of this

Quote:
The Crédit Mobilier scandal of 1872 involved the Union Pacific Railroad and the Crédit Mobilier of America (no relation to the French Credit Mobilier) construction company in the building of the western portion of the First Transcontinental Railroad. In 1868 Congressman Oakes Ames had distributed Crédit Mobilier shares of stock to other congressmen, in addition to making cash bribes, during the Andrew Johnson presidency.

In 1867, Crédit Mobilier replaced Thomas Durant as its head with the Congressman Oakes Ames.[3] In that year Ames offered to members of Congress shares of stock in Crédit Mobilier at its discounted value rather than the market value, which was much higher. The high market value of the stock was due to the superb performance of Crédit Mobilier of America as a corporation; which was in turn due to its major contract with the Union Pacific.

During the 1872 presidential campaign, the New York City newspaper, The Sun, broke the story. The paper opposed the re-election of Ulysses S. Grant and was regularly publishing articles critical of his administration. Following a disagreement with Ames, Henry Simpson McComb, an associate of his and a later executive of the Illinois Central Railroad, leaked compromising letters to the newspaper.

A Congressional investigation of thirteen members led to the censure of Ames and James Brooks, a Democrat from New York. A Department of Justice investigation was also made, with Aaron F. Perry serving as chief counsel. During the investigation, the government found that the company had given shares to more than thirty representatives of both parties, including James A. Garfield, Schuyler Colfax, James W. Patterson, and Henry Wilson.

Garfield denied the charges and succeeded in gaining election as President in 1880, so the scandal did not have much effect on him. The Republicans replaced Colfax on the ticket, who was being renominated for Vice President. But they named Henry Wilson as the new candidate, who had also been implicated in the scandals.
Perhaps every rapid rail expansion will have its dark side.

Last edited by luhai; July 15th, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #5320
hmmwv

I think it's the "dark side" of things that enabled all those rapid infrastructure expansions.

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv