daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #5321
xinxingren

Likes (Received): 71

"'You may seek it with thimbles—and seek it with care;
You may hunt it with forks and hope;
You may threaten its life with a railway-share;
You may charm it with smiles and soap—'"

The Hunting of the Snark Lewis Carroll, 1874
from the nation that invented the steam locomotive ...
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5322
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I've been reading about this on and off for years. This should have been completed a while ago.

http://www.cctv.com/english/special/...9/103579.shtml
There's an update for this:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_16806053.htm

It will be finally be opened by end of July 2013. Probably no fanfare will happen as it was delayed several times.

And few pictures since it is underground.

Maybe it would be nice if they are going to loop it together with Beijing South Station.
silent_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:23 AM   #5323
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
There's an update for this:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_16806053.htm

It will be finally be opened by end of July 2013. Probably no fanfare will happen as it was delayed several times.

And few pictures since it is underground.

Maybe it would be nice if they are going to loop it together with Beijing South Station.
It says work completed by end of July. It may take more time to open. You are right Beijing South should be connected underground as well. Given the current tunnel it may only take 1 ~ 2 extra km's digging to connect with Beijing South.

Highcliff liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:03 PM   #5324
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

When the tunnel opens from service, what shall be the extra time in Beijing - travel time Beijing-Beijing West, plus dwell time at Beijing West?

Does Beijing station have spare platforms for the trains coming from Beijing West?
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5325
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
When the tunnel opens from service, what shall be the extra time in Beijing - travel time Beijing-Beijing West, plus dwell time at Beijing West?

Does Beijing station have spare platforms for the trains coming from Beijing West?
Still no news. Maybe it shall be like the HongKong airport APM. A driverless train perhaps every few minutes.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:52 AM   #5326
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Still no news. Maybe it shall be like the HongKong airport APM. A driverless train perhaps every few minutes.
No, this is a HSR tunnel allowing CRH trains to serve both Beijing West and Beijing Station.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:27 AM   #5327
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
No, this is a HSR tunnel allowing CRH trains to serve both Beijing West and Beijing Station.
But I thought they were going to move the High Speed Trains from Beijing West to Fengtai?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5328
big-dog

636km Xiangpu Railway on testing run

by 中国铁路

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
12.11 Xiangtang-Putian Railway (向莆铁路) tracklaying completed, opening in September 2013

Length: 635.861km
Design Speed: 200km/h
Stations: 24

Xiangtang-Putian Railway connects Jiangxi Province directly to Fujian Province, providing a 3-hour seaport access to inland province of Jiangxi. With its opening Nanchang to Fuzhou's travel time will be reduced from current 11 hours to 3.5 hours.

--xinhuant

Highcliff liked this post
Old July 25th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #5329
stoneybee

Likes (Received): 28

This is fantastic news. I firmly believe that the full benefit of the HSR extension into the inland of China will show itself in the coming 5 years in terms of increased overall competetiveness of country especially the general east-west routes that are in construction.
stoneybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #5330
hmmwv

I wouldn't call this line HSR at all, it's a brand new line with a 200km/h maximum speed, which doesn't meet the criteria of HSR. Passenger D trains will achieve 200km/h but will be greatly slowed down by freight traffic, in fact quite bit of the traffic will be freight, and it's designed to accommodate double decker container cars.
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #5331
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneybee View Post
I firmly believe that the full benefit of the HSR extension into the inland of China will show itself in the coming 5 years in terms of increased overall competetiveness of country especially the general east-west routes that are in construction.
The coast curves to southwest.

Fuzhou is a coastal city, true. But not awfully big... and Jiangxi is separated from Fujian by hard terrain and sparse population of Wuyishan mountains.

As you see, Nanchang-Fuzhou goes southeast from Nanchang. Could Jiangxi benefit from HSRs towards first tier coastal cities, like east from Nanchang to Hangzhou and Shanghai, or southwest from Nanchang via Ganzhou to Shenzhen and Guangzhou?
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #5332
little universe
A Living Sculpture

The scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway / 青藏铁路

image hosted on flickr

青藏铁路 (The scenery of Qinghai-Tibetan Railway) by burmistrow, on Flickr

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

gdolniak, CP11, DJaCoNdA, Highcliff liked this post
little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #5333
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Very beautiful. why only single track? What happens when another train come from the opposite direction?
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #5334
xinxingren

Crossing loops approx every 40 kilometres
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #5335
stoneybee

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Very beautiful. why only single track? What happens when another train come from the opposite direction?

Mainly economic reasons. There is not sufficient volume to justify the effort and investment of double tracking at this time.

Plus, no one has built and operated commercial railway on permafrosted land in the world before. So you want to make sure it works before you pour more resources into it.

I would venture to guess that even the current railway cannot be justified on pure economic reason alone but I whole heartedly support the building of this railway from a strategic perspective.

I do wonder all the time why they did not electrify the railway from start. Perhaps my fellow members can help answer that. (The only answer that I can come up with is: there is no ready supply of electricity for the railway in that region now)
stoneybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #5336
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1217

Quote:
Mainly economic reasons. There is not sufficient volume to justify the effort and investment of double tracking at this time.

Plus, no one has built and operated commercial railway on permafrosted land in the world before. So you want to make sure it works before you pour more resources into it.

I would venture to guess that even the current railway cannot be justified on pure economic reason alone but I whole heartedly support the building of this railway from a strategic perspective.

I do wonder all the time why they did not electrify the railway from start. Perhaps my fellow members can help answer that. (The only answer that I can come up with is: there is no ready supply of electricity for the railway in that region now)
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #5337
hmmwv

Quote:
I agree that this is the main reason, otherwise they should have gone with electric locos as they don't suffer from low oxygen density like internal combustion locos do.
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #5338
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I agree that this is the main reason, otherwise they should have gone with electric locos as they don't suffer from low oxygen density like internal combustion locos do.
Cheaper solution?

NJ2 is a class of diesel-electric locomotives employed by China Railways. Built in Erie, Pennsylvania, it is based on a standard GE Transportation Systems GE Dash 9-44CW and marketed as GE C38AChe. It was specially customised for high altitude operation on the Qinghai-Tibet Railway route. It is used on the Qingzang Railway that connects Xining, Qinghai Province, to Lhasa, Tibet Autonomous Region, in the People's Republic of China. It is a 3,800 kW (5,100 hp) Co-Co design (Railway Magazine Dec 2006 p36).

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Railways_NJ2
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #5339
xinxingren

800 km of line from Xining to Ge'ermu has had double track, electric, and upgrade to 160km/hr since the opening of the Ge'ermu to Lhasa section in 2006. This required some small and some larger straightening and new tunnels. Remaining work on this section is the 32.6km Guanjiao tunnel. There is significant mineral traffic from this region eastwards to central China.

My guess as to why Ge'ermu - Lhasa is not in a hurry for double track electric is, traffic density too low, and the train would be the only substantial user of electricity, needing new HV transmission lines thru a desolate alpine region.
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #5340
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I've been reading about this on and off for years. This should have been completed a while ago.

http://www.cctv.com/english/special/...9/103579.shtml
July 26 10AM The tunnel is dug thru, finally, after 8 years construction

it's a 9151m, double-line tunnel connecting Beijing Railway Station and Beijing West.

by Beijing Railway

silent_dragon, CP11, FM 2258, Highcliff liked this post

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv