daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:15 AM   #5521
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Very sweet. When I visited China in 2010 I flew everywhere except from Guangzhou to Shenzhen, next time I'd like to travel all by rail if possible.

big-dog, spin_dive liked this post
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:40 AM   #5522
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin_dive View Post
D308 from Xi'an North to Shanghai

Have to say, it's one of the nicest overnight trains I've ever taken.
I wish I have the rather rare opportunity to ride an overnight CRH2E.

FM 2258 liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:50 AM   #5523
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I wish I have the rather rare opportunity to ride an overnight CRH2E.
Where do they now run?
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:50 PM   #5524
xinxingren

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin_dive View Post
D308 from Xi'an North to Shanghai
Interesting patterns of the grime on the front. At first glance a bit like smudges from careless parking

Note also that the longest nonstop sector Xuzhou dep 02.22 - Nanjing arr 05.07 is slower at 126km/hr, than the average 139km/hr for the whole journey.

Last edited by xinxingren; January 23rd, 2014 at 09:01 PM.
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:50 PM   #5525
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Are there no D sleeper overnight trains from Shenzhen to Shanghai?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 06:00 AM   #5526
xinxingren

Seems like the D trains Shenzhen-Shanghai all take ~12 hours up the east coast HSR which is shut from midnite to 06.00. If you want a sleeper there are 2 T trains that take 18 hours winding thru the mountains.

Or you could take G6002 dep Shenzhenbei 1500 arr Changshanan 1752, D643 dep Changsha 18.48 arr Shanghaihongqiao 06.47, total journey time 15h47' of which 1 hour is making the connection at Changsha, but D643 is not advertising sleeper prices.
Old January 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #5527
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinxingren View Post
Seems like the D trains Shenzhen-Shanghai all take ~12 hours up the east coast HSR which is shut from midnite to 06.00. If you want a sleeper there are 2 T trains that take 18 hours winding thru the mountains.

Or you could take G6002 dep Shenzhenbei 1500 arr Changshanan 1752, D643 dep Changsha 18.48 arr Shanghaihongqiao 06.47, total journey time 15h47' of which 1 hour is making the connection at Changsha, but D643 is not advertising sleeper prices.
Not exactly viable options for comfortable AND speedy travel (18 hours is waaay to long). I just tried to look for options to go by train from Shenzhen to Shanghai, then on to Beijing and back to PRD. Shenzhen-Shanghai leg seems to be a problem despite the newly opened coastal corridor. I and thought maybe there was an overnight D train but there isn't. It would make perfect sense given travel time and comfortable and smooth trains for a good nights sleep. And unlike Beijing to Guangzhou there isn't an option to take a super fast G train which could do the trip in 6 hours or so. I guess I'll have to opt for a flight on this route.

I wonder, however, if there will be any under 7 hour services between Shenzhen/Guangzhou and Shanghai once the missing parts of 350km/h track are built between Changsha and Shanghai? It just doesn't seem right not to have direct G train services between PRD and Shanghai.

Last edited by Pansori; January 24th, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old January 25th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #5528
stoneybee

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Not exactly viable options for comfortable AND speedy travel (18 hours is waaay to long). I just tried to look for options to go by train from Shenzhen to Shanghai, then on to Beijing and back to PRD. Shenzhen-Shanghai leg seems to be a problem despite the newly opened coastal corridor. I and thought maybe there was an overnight D train but there isn't. It would make perfect sense given travel time and comfortable and smooth trains for a good nights sleep. And unlike Beijing to Guangzhou there isn't an option to take a super fast G train which could do the trip in 6 hours or so. I guess I'll have to opt for a flight on this route.

I wonder, however, if there will be any under 7 hour services between Shenzhen/Guangzhou and Shanghai once the missing parts of 350km/h track are built between Changsha and Shanghai? It just doesn't seem right not to have direct G train services between PRD and Shanghai.
I think your best option in this case is to try to get on the Hong Kong to Shanghai train which is a full sleeper train. This does stop in two places inside China and additional passangers can get on. One is just outside of Shenzhen where Hong kong or oversea passangers will stop and go through Custom. It is a tiny station but they do allow additional passanger to get on from there. The other which is probably more reasonable and easy to do for you is the Guangzhou East station. The train will stop for 30 minutes and additional passanger will get on there for the remaining journey to Shanghai. Dont ask me where to get tickets inside China as I have not done that before. All my journey were all directly from HK to Shanghai. (Tickets are always tight and a bit pricy too as the HK to Shanghai train is very popular for older folks or peopel who dislike flight. The good news is that you could buy this train ticket through China Travel Service). This is an overnight train. It leaves HK around 5pm and arrive at Shanghai around 7am the next day.

Pansori liked this post

Last edited by stoneybee; January 25th, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
stoneybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #5529
xinxingren

T100A departs Jiulong 15.15, then sits for an hour at Guangzhoudong while the cars for T100B are added to it. Departs 18.11, stops at Zuzhou, Jinhuaxi, arr Shanghai 10.08. Total running time Jiulong - Shanghai 18h53', slightly more than the Shenzhen-Shanghai T102 or T212. Yet T100 manages an average speed including stops of 114km/hr between Guangzhou - Shanghai.

CNR must know there's a hunger for the new fast trains, which could be why they run D643 on the same rails as T100 between Changsha and Jinhua.

Last edited by xinxingren; January 25th, 2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old January 26th, 2014, 02:12 AM   #5530
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneybee View Post
I think your best option in this case is to try to get on the Hong Kong to Shanghai train which is a full sleeper train. This does stop in two places inside China and additional passangers can get on. One is just outside of Shenzhen where Hong kong or oversea passangers will stop and go through Custom. It is a tiny station but they do allow additional passanger to get on from there. The other which is probably more reasonable and easy to do for you is the Guangzhou East station. The train will stop for 30 minutes and additional passanger will get on there for the remaining journey to Shanghai. Dont ask me where to get tickets inside China as I have not done that before. All my journey were all directly from HK to Shanghai. (Tickets are always tight and a bit pricy too as the HK to Shanghai train is very popular for older folks or peopel who dislike flight. The good news is that you could buy this train ticket through China Travel Service). This is an overnight train. It leaves HK around 5pm and arrive at Shanghai around 7am the next day.
Thanks, that sounds pretty interesting.
Old January 26th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #5531
spin_dive

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneybee View Post
When I took it last year, it left Hung Hom in HK at 3:15PM and arrived in Shanghai at 10:00AM, did it change or something?

Either way, I highly recommend this method of travel, though I noticed that customs is very tight on the Shanghai side
spin_dive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #5532
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Just saw a app on baidu showing the data aggregated from spring festival travels. Very interesting, I'm somewhat surprised that Beijing and Shanghai is also ranked very high in out incoming traffic as well as outgoing traffic (where as Shengzhen and Guangzhou are very high on outgoing traffic and does not show up in incoming traffic), perhaps this is due to Beijing and Shanghai functioning as transfer hub for the nation.

http://news.baidu.com/z/2014chunyun/zhuanti.html
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #5533
xinxingren

Are Seven Tickets Better than One?

http://slide.news.sina.com.cn/z/slid...41966.html#p=1
This kind of story seems to be becoming a regular at this time of year.
Did he miss out on a ticket for the direct train T164?
or does he prefer to break his journey into smaller segments?
T164 takes 24h19'. Our intrepid traveller took 27h45'
of which only 19h20' was on trains and another 8h28' at interchanges.
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #5534
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinxingren View Post
Are Seven Tickets Better than One?

http://slide.news.sina.com.cn/z/slid...41966.html#p=1
This kind of story seems to be becoming a regular at this time of year.
Did he miss out on a ticket for the direct train T164?
or does he prefer to break his journey into smaller segments?
T164 takes 24h19'. Our intrepid traveller took 27h45'
of which only 19h20' was on trains and another 8h28' at interchanges.
direct routes between two popular destination often are first ticket sold out, to either customer or scalper (with the new ID law, they are abusing the refund and electronic ordering system). So traveler needs to piece together round about trip with what tickets are available at time of purchase, even if it will take them all over the place.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #5535
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 810

The problem here is:
What happens if one of the trains is delayed and he misses the next train?
I dont think that China Railways will care much. They will leave him stranded, practically invalidating his tickets.

Remember: CNY is usually famous for bad weather, from which effect China Railways is not immune from.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:45 AM   #5536
mikepeterson

Likes (Received): 0

hello friends i am mike peterson thanks for share china railways services on this forum its a very useful post
mikepeterson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #5537
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

the last few steam trains,next years they will retire.

gnatho liked this post
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #5538
xinxingren

6.9M Earthquake in Xinjiang

Train services were suspended for one hour between Moyu and Hotan for track inspection on the softer alluvial ground between the two branches of the river.
Xinhua
USGS
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #5539
BlackSeaArmada
BANNED

Likes (Received): 28

BlackSeaArmada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #5540
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Spring Haul

By Feb 15 during 31-day Chinese New Year haul railway has carried 201.874 million trips, up 10.8% yoy, +19.661 million.

--chinarailways
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv