daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #1201
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Work starts on Beijing-Shenyang high speed railway

2009-2-5

CONSTRUCTION of a high-speed rail line between Beijing and Shenyang in Liaoning Province, worth 70 billion yuan (US$10.22 billion), will start in June.

When it is completed, expected to be 2012, passengers will be able to travel the 687 kilometers in two hours and 18 minutes, the Huashang Morning Post reported today.

The 350 km/h trains will take one and a half hours less than the current fast train.

Meanwhile, the high-speed rail line between Shanghai and Hangzhou has been approved by central government and construction will start in about a month.

And 1,200 kilometers, more than 90 per cent, of what will be the world's longest high-speed rail line, connecting Shanghai and Beijing, has been completed. More than 110,000 people are working on the project.

When the railway is completed, trains will reach Beijing in five hours instead of the current 11.

The ministry has said it plans to have 120,000km of rail lines in service by 2020, of which 16,000km would be dedicated passenger lines.

By the end of this year, China will have more than 79,000km of rail lines. To meet the 2020 target will require investment of about 5 trillion yuan (US$727 billion), the ministry said.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/arti...cle_389971.htm
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #1202
ANR

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow is red View Post
Work starts on Beijing-Shenyang high speed railway

And 1,200 kilometers, more than 90 per cent, of what will be the world's longest high-speed rail line, connecting Shanghai and Beijing, has been completed. More than 110,000 people are working on the project.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/arti...cle_389971.htm
I continue to believe that it is not possible to have 90% of the line completed between Shanghai & Beijing. Does anyone have any pictures or information that would support this statement?
ANR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #1203
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Very impressive how China gets stuff done and things built.

America's infrastructure is literally crumbling before its very eyes and the politicians don't do anything about it.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #1204
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

I think it is time that we the citizens have a say in national politics. The politicians I feel are so ignorant to constituents and do not really know what is going on. If they actually cared about what is going on and had some balls, they would have gotten this stimulus for total infrastructure and nothing else. Instead, we bailed out banks just for them to burn money on our watch.

I think this just calls for political reform in the United States if the politicians are stubborn.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #1205
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

I hate to state this, but sometimes the best things happen in the absence of democracy.

Paris is renowned for its boulevards, but they were designed by Haussmann when France was ruled by Napoleon the Third. The straight boulevards would make it easier to send troops to crush revolts.

Same thing with the vast amount of building ongoing in China.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #1206
Huhu

Likes (Received): 437

German Autobahns and American Interstates were designed with the military in mind. I guess it's just the way it's gotta be.
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #1207
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Nothin' stimulates an economy and crushes pesky democracy quite like a war!
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #1208
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR View Post
I continue to believe that it is not possible to have 90% of the line completed between Shanghai & Beijing. Does anyone have any pictures or information that would support this statement?
It was from some very stupid reporter. Initially, someone write a report says construction of 90% of the railway had began, while another reporter simplified the phrase "had began" (完成开工) to "completed" (完工). This had been discussed as a joke in China.
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #1209
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Very impressive how China gets stuff done and things built.

America's infrastructure is literally crumbling before its very eyes and the politicians don't do anything about it.
wrong
they filibuster it
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #1210
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
I hate to state this, but sometimes the best things happen in the absence of democracy.

Paris is renowned for its boulevards, but they were designed by Haussmann when France was ruled by Napoleon the Third. The straight boulevards would make it easier to send troops to crush revolts.

Same thing with the vast amount of building ongoing in China.

thats a really warped perception
the french and the spanish are building high speed lines at least as fast and much as the chinese, if you account for population, and they are both democracies

having said that, the gop should probably get the china treatment: find an empty warehouse and paint it red
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1211
particlez

Likes (Received): 106

urbanfan has a point. if it's doing things properly, an authoritarian regime can do things much more efficiently than a liberal democracy. that doesn't mean authoritarian regimes are by definition more efficient (one only needs to look at the basket case dictatorships).

what's worse, many liberal democracies function more like feudal states, especially when it comes to infrastructure. in local politics, developers and landowners lobby the system effectively for their own vested interests. unfortunately the interests of the lobbying group are often at odds with the greater good. it accounts for a good deal of the car-based, greenfield development based urbanism we suffer through.

Last edited by particlez; February 7th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.
particlez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #1212
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18198

China pulls through first post-festival travel peak

BEIJING, Feb. 8 (Xinhua) -- China's railways and roads underwent the first travel peak after the Lunar New Year festival, with larger passenger flows than the same period last year.

The railways carried more than 5 million travelers each day from Jan. 31 to Friday, a record high in both duration and passenger number, said the Ministry of Railways (MOR) spokesman Wang Yongping on Saturday.

Altogether 5.02 million took trains on Friday, increasing 170,000 year-on-year, MOR figures show.

Wang predicted lighter traffic on Saturday and Sunday and a second peak after Monday, when the Lantern Festival falls and wraps up the Chinese New Year celebration.

About 55.8 million hit the road on Saturday, up 4 percent from a year earlier, said the Ministry of Transport spokesman He Jianzhong.

The number was down from previous days as most people had returned from family visits, but there were more college students and migrant workers making trips back to study or city work, said He.

He said 800,000 traveled by water on Saturday, 6 percent more than the same period last year.

China's Lunar New Year, or the Spring Festival, came on Jan. 26 this year. It's the country's most important traditional festival, creating the world's largest population migration in a year.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #1213
chris_1112

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR View Post
Did not complete 90%, about 40 percent completed.

January 2008 started, in July 2010 completed, in December 2010 the completion of debugging. January 2011 the opening and operation.

Now everything is proceeding as planned.
chris_1112 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #1214
foxmulder_ms

Likes (Received): 21

Even three years is relatively fast for ~1200km track.
foxmulder_ms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #1215
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The Interstate Highway System is excellent. Well, maybe not if you ignore the I35W collapse, but in general the freeway system is in pretty good shape. (some irony there). Meanwhile, 18 billion dollars of taxpayer money goes into "compensation" for the bank executives.

Railroad infrastructure is crumbling.

And now, in the stimulus package, the politicians choose the freeways, and want to excise other infrastructure improvements including Amtrak and bicycle paths.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #1216
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial View Post
The Interstate Highway System is excellent. Well, maybe not if you ignore the I35W collapse, but in general the freeway system is in pretty good shape. (some irony there). Meanwhile, 18 billion dollars of taxpayer money goes into "compensation" for the bank executives.

Railroad infrastructure is crumbling.

And now, in the stimulus package, the politicians choose the freeways, and want to excise other infrastructure improvements including Amtrak and bicycle paths.
Maybe the highways are nice where you live, but not where I live.

The Chinese stimulus bill focused heavily on infrastructure. China isn't prefect, but the government is totally correct in supporting infrastructure construction as a way to grow the economy and improve the welfare of its people.

I am resigned to the fact that it will take more bridge collapses for the politicians to wake up and spend more on infrastructure.
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #1217
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Likes (Received): 10

Or a few dozen derailments.

Few politicians besides our state's senators even mentioned the Metrolink collision in LA. That was due to a single lane of railway being shared between freight and passenger trains.

Last I heard, there are supposed to be four lanes - bidirectional freight, and bidirectional passenger.

But anyway, back to the topic -
1. China is awesome
2. China is leaps and bounds ahead of the US in forward thinking infrastructure
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #1218
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial View Post
Or a few dozen derailments.

Few politicians besides our state's senators even mentioned the Metrolink collision in LA. That was due to a single lane of railway being shared between freight and passenger trains.

Last I heard, there are supposed to be four lanes - bidirectional freight, and bidirectional passenger.

But anyway, back to the topic -
1. China is awesome
2. China is leaps and bounds ahead of the US in forward thinking infrastructure
Yes, I forgot about that accident. Totally unacceptable.

I agree with the last part of your post too.
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #1219
chris_1112

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder_ms View Post
Even three years is relatively fast for ~1200km track.
More than these, for a total of 3,150 km of 350 km/h lines(Beijing-ShiJiazhuang-Wuhan 1120 km, Tianjin-Qinhuangdao 270 km, Haerbin-Dalian 900 km, NanJing-Shanghai-Hangzhou 460 km, NanJing-Hangzhou-Ningbo 400 km), in the 3 years must be completed, that is, to the opening and operation in 2012.

In these high-speed lines in 2012 put into operation at the same time, it will form a high-speed passenger network, connecting the eastern part of densely populated areas of many large and medium cities.
chris_1112 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #1220
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimFox View Post
I think this is a very telling article...
Not sure how accurate all the facts as 100RMB for 1700km journey sound too low,
In 2005 I payed 135 RMB (13-14 EUR) for ~2600 km from Xian to Urumchi...

nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv