daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM   #1461
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
considering the hugh population along this HSR line, there's no other choices.
you are of course wrong

there are stations 80-100 kms from each other , like Lyon Avignon or Provance
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM   #1462
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Sorry I was talking about the population along the Beijing-Shanghai line makes frequent stops the only option.

Highcliff liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:58 PM   #1463
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:

Sorry I was talking about the population along the Beijing-Shanghai line makes frequent stops the only option.
well, take a look at some HSR stations: they allow for trains to pass through the middle at 350 kph as well as have platforms and separate tracks for stopping trains

there will be trains that
- only stop at beijing and shanghai
- that stop at 100-120 km intervals (every station)
- that stop at selected stations (not just the ends but not at every station)

the benefit of a completely 350kph, completely passenger-oriented line on such long distances, is that:
- once these extremely long distance trains accelerate to 350kph, they will be able to do that speed for 1000-1500-2000 kms (in case of Beijing-Hong Kong, this will be true!!!), so the average speed will be very very close to the max speed
- you dont have the limiting factors (speed, capacity etc.) of accounting for freight or slower passenger trains
- trains that do stop regularly can pull over while the non-stop train passes by in the middle

i have a nasty feeling that when the chinese are done with their 20-30.000 km project, they will have to modernize the old lines because still they will need more capacity
the numbers are staggering
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM   #1464
gramercy
BANNED

also, with ETCS the headway between trains travelling at 350 kph will be down to a few minutes!!! they will be able to move 15-20 trains hourly per direction....at this speed :o
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM   #1465
Chrisel

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
Shijiazhuang–Taiyuan Passenger Railway, 250 km/h, opened on April 1, 2009

This line cut the travel time between Shijiazhuang to Taiyuan from 04h59m to 01h13m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder_ms View Post
Arent there too many legs of that bridge? Nice pictures, tnx.
My thoughts exactly...they should have used less materials with a better truss design. What a waste.
Chrisel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #1466
foxmulder_ms

Likes (Received): 21

I am sure there is a reason but I dont know what it is. It looks really weird. May be it is because of the angle we look but still it looks excessive.
foxmulder_ms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #1467
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

You can see one arched section where the span is longer. It's in the foreground.
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #1468
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisel View Post
My thoughts exactly...they should have used less materials with a better truss design. What a waste.
This is Yehe Bridge (冶河特大桥), 1688.8m, 52 holes, one of the 94 bridges on this HSR route.

The multi-hole bridge design is to resist the rare flood from the plain underneath.

here's one construction pic.

(baidu.com)

Old April 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #1469
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisel View Post

These are professionals that designed and built the bridge. I'm sure the civil engineer had a reason to implement this design. We shouldn't criticize the type of bridge use without knowing the true facts. It could be many factors such as weather, soil, wind, earthquakes, and floods. It could also be the cost of upkeeping this bridge it could be a cheaper alternative means maybe due to its location.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1470
gramercy
BANNED

bravo, great
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1471
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
well, take a look at some HSR stations: they allow for trains to pass through the middle at 350 kph as well as have platforms and separate tracks for stopping trains

there will be trains that
- only stop at beijing and shanghai
- that stop at 100-120 km intervals (every station)
- that stop at selected stations (not just the ends but not at every station)

the benefit of a completely 350kph, completely passenger-oriented line on such long distances, is that:
- once these extremely long distance trains accelerate to 350kph, they will be able to do that speed for 1000-1500-2000 kms (in case of Beijing-Hong Kong, this will be true!!!), so the average speed will be very very close to the max speed
- you dont have the limiting factors (speed, capacity etc.) of accounting for freight or slower passenger trains
- trains that do stop regularly can pull over while the non-stop train passes by in the middle
Have a look at Tokaido Shinkansen of Japan.

515 km long. Maximum speed of some 300 km/h.

The fastest trains, named Nozomi, cover the distance in 2:25. With 4 intermediate stops: Nagoya, Kyoto and two stations on Tokyo suburbs (Shinagawa and Yokohama).

Japanese might have express trains on Shinkansen, and skip even those stops. They don´t.

They do have a lot of Hikari and Kodama services - Kodama has 17 stops and takes 4 hours, and Hikari is intermediate. This means that a lot of Nozomi and Hikari trains must somehow get past the slower trains. They do.

How many stops do you think should Beijing-Shanghai trains have at the very minimum? And how many should the slower trains have?
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #1472
New York Morning
BANNED

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:

(pics taken Feb in Dalian, hasea.com)
Amazing!!! Is there so cool winters in China?
New York Morning no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #1473
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Have a look at Tokaido Shinkansen of Japan.

515 km long. Maximum speed of some 300 km/h.

The fastest trains, named Nozomi, cover the distance in 2:25. With 4 intermediate stops: Nagoya, Kyoto and two stations on Tokyo suburbs (Shinagawa and Yokohama).

Japanese might have express trains on Shinkansen, and skip even those stops. They don´t.
The french do. The distance between Paris Gare de Lyon and Marseille Saint-Charles is ~720 kms and the travel time is ~3 hrs. I think there are non-stop trains.

Quote:
ow many stops do you think should Beijing-Shanghai trains have at the very minimum? And how many should the slower trains have?
I dont know. But I have read earlier that they will have non-stop service.

Finding the optimum is a complex mathematical modelling, which I'm sure they'll calculate.

However, you have two cities with rougly 20 million (!) people in both of them within a few hrs from each other. I BET you can fill even the non-stop trains with people.
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #1474
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
The french do. The distance between Paris Gare de Lyon and Marseille Saint-Charles is ~720 kms and the travel time is ~3 hrs. I think there are non-stop trains.

I dont know. But I have read earlier that they will have non-stop service.

Finding the optimum is a complex mathematical modelling, which I'm sure they'll calculate.

However, you have two cities with rougly 20 million (!) people in both of them within a few hrs from each other. I BET you can fill even the non-stop trains with people.

The cities are 11 hours away from each other. And between them there are many other cities with population over 5 million and countless municipalities with over 1 million people.

How many stops a minimum?

The answer is none. A non-stopping train is rightfully justified in this situation and the demand has been proven to be there with already functioning conventional non-stopping trains. But will there be high speed trains running on the Beijing-Shanghai lane that stops at stations? Certainly yes. There will be many stations (someone with actual time can try to count them) along the high-speed line and all of them are meant to be serviced.

There will be some trains with fewer stops and some trains with more stops. And similarly to the rest of the Chinese network, the trains with fewer stops will most likely have higher priority to the ones that stops more often.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower

Last edited by UD2; April 24th, 2009 at 09:03 PM.
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #1475
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
These are professionals that designed and built the bridge. I'm sure the civil engineer had a reason to implement this design. We shouldn't criticize the type of bridge use without knowing the true facts. It could be many factors such as weather, soil, wind, earthquakes, and floods. It could also be the cost of upkeeping this bridge it could be a cheaper alternative means maybe due to its location.
I have mentioned the reason for this design in my post: flood resisting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Morning View Post
Amazing!!! Is there so cool winters in China?
China's weather is almost the same with US: cold north, warm south, dry west, humid east.

Old April 24th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #1476
New York Morning
BANNED

Likes (Received): 423

I believe its northern China on the pics? Where that pics were taken?
New York Morning no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #1477
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Quote:
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #1478
big-dog

Quote:
Yes those pictures were taken in Dalian, 2nd largest city in Liaoning Province. Liaoning Province is located in the Northeast of China.

Old April 25th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #1479
octopusop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

A sad message is that the Department of Railway had quit buying
DF series and SS series locomotives last year. Factories had ceased production of SSs that time, and DFs are produced with small quantities for big enterpnises and mines which have private railways. The two series had been produced for almost 50 years.

SS 韶山 means electric locomotive, which was replaced by HXD 河蟹电. HXD means electric locomotive AC transmission.
DF 东风 means diesel locomotive DC transmission., which was replaced by HXN 河蟹内. HXN means diesel locomotive AC transmission.
Another popular locomotive series is DFH 东方红,which means diesel locomotive hydrodynamic transmission, production had been ceased last century.
octopusop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #1480
clkgtr

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
SS 韶山 means electric locomotive, which was replaced by HXD 河蟹电. HXD means electric locomotive AC transmission.
DF 东风 means diesel locomotive DC transmission., which was replaced by HXN 河蟹内. HXN means diesel locomotive AC transmission.
Another popular locomotive series is DFH 东方红,which means diesel locomotive hydrodynamic transmission, production had been ceased last century.
You really have a sense of HUMOR!
clkgtr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv