daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #1941
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Yeah. Freight manages an average of the 60.7km/h on the 942km Hangzhou-Changsha mainline, so they should be able to improve on that.
Note that large part of that is not about how fast some actual line is (I'm sure the line through Russia is faster than 20-30 km/h) but also customs and other border checks, gauge changes etc.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1942
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Yeah. Freight manages an average of the 60.7km/h on the 942km Hangzhou-Changsha mainline, so they should be able to improve on that.
frankly thats an awesome average for freight

the problem is probably on the transsib and during the reloading
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #1943
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Very true. And that is what makes it that slow and uneconomic against sea freight.

Remember though that the vast expansion in container traffic (from 3million to 9million TEUs per year by 2012) is expected to be wholly within China

In contrast, they only expect 0.4million TEU to go to Europe by land.
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #1944
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

China introduces new train ticket with matrix barcode on December 10

yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #1945
yaohua2000

Wuhan-Guangzhou test run on December 9

http://www.cnr.cn/gundong/200912/t20...505737384.html

A 2-train CRH3 group each train has 8-car (total passenger capacity = 1114)

07:56 - Depart from Guangzhou South Station
08:00 - 200 km/h
08:12 - 350 km/h
09:05 - 394.2 km/h
10:50 - Arrive at Wuhan Station

Average speed: 334 km/h

During commercial service, the train will cover the 968-km long railway track in 03h08m, or 309 km/h in average.
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #1946
octopusop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
http://www.cnr.cn/gundong/200912/t20...505737384.html

A 2-train CRH3 group each train has 8-car (total passenger capacity = 1114)

07:56 - Depart from Guangzhou South Station
08:00 - 200 km/h
08:12 - 350 km/h
09:05 - 394.2 km/h
10:50 - Arrive at Wuhan Station

Average speed: 334 km/h

During commercial service, the train will cover the 968-km long railway track in 03h08m, or 309 km/h in average.
334 km/h * 2h 54m = 968km
but the news you've quoted said that length of the line is 1068.6km (exsiting line length from Wuchang to Guangzhou).

China MoR is a great liar.
octopusop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #1947
yaohua2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopusop View Post
but the news you've quoted said that length of the line is 1068.6km (exsiting line length from Wuchang to Guangzhou).

The railway is 968 km long. The Wuchang-Guangzhou section of the old Beijing-Guangzhou Railway is 1068 km long.

Since ticket price is based on rail distance. The money-oriented Ministry of Railways prefer use the old distance to the new one, so they can plunder more money from people.
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #1948
yuen95

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

The distance of Sanyo Shinkansen is 553.7km but JR price the ticket as 644km which is the distance of the existing sanyo line.
So you think JR is a great liar too?
yuen95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #1949
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

High-speed rail aces critical test

2009-12-10

Four lines of high-speed trains stop at Wuhan Railway Station in Central China's Hubei province. During a test, the trains ran at an average speed of 350 km/h.

Passengers from Central China can now reach Guangzhou, the southern economic hub, within three hours as the nation carries out its ambitious high-speed railway plan.

The new high-speed railway linking Wuhan, capital of Central China's Hubei province, and Guangzhou successfully passed a critical operations test yesterday and could be open to the public later this month.

The rail cuts the previous travel time of 10 hours between the two cities to less than three hours with an average speed of 350km/h. Chinese media said it is the longest railway with the world's fastest trains.

Ticket prices have not been published yet. Earlier reports said it might be 500 yuan ($73), double the current berth ticket price.

Although travel agencies are concerned the pricey high-speed train may not be a hit with the public, experts say the project is in itself a technological marvel that cost an investment of 100 billion yuan.

"A successful operation of the high-speed railway of more than 1,000 km will help demonstrate China's technological strength ... and appeal to countries like Russia, India and the United States, which also have broad territories and a plan for building high-speed railways," said Yang Hao, professor in railway transport with Beijing Jiaotong University.

Other countries with advanced high-speed railway technology, such as Germany, Japan and France, do not carry passengers over the same distance as China's railway will.

Earlier media reports said countries such as Russia, the US and India have expressed interest in working with China.

A railway researcher told China Daily earlier that the long-distance, high-speed railway is more demanding on train manufacturing technologies than China's first 120-km, high-speed rail link between Beijing and Tianjin.

China also has ambitions of building high-speed railways over 80 percent of the current network of airlines by 2020 to offer passengers a cheaper, more reliable ride. It wants to cover 70 percent of the country's key cities.

According to a blueprint by the Ministry of Railway, the mainland will build 16,000 km of high-speed railway by 2020, with trains running as fast as 350km/h.

By 2012, 42 high-speed railway links amounting to 13,000 km will be finished, of which 5,000 km will be operated at 250km/h, while 8,000 km will run at 350km/h.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...nt_9152015.htm
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #1950
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

The tests were even on the television here in The Netherlands:
http://player.omroep.nl/?aflid=10389890 (from 07:28)
Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #1951
octopusop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuen95 View Post
The distance of Sanyo Shinkansen is 553.7km but JR price the ticket as 644km which is the distance of the existing sanyo line.
So you think JR is a great liar too?
I don't care japanese.

China MoR are Liar, the Great.
octopusop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #1952
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The U.S. sucks. It is a country whose political system is designed to avoid tackling crucial issues like shitty infrastructure in a timely manner.

Getting any substantial amount of money from Congress for anything other than the military or tax cuts is like pulling teeth.
Ask Obama, he could have done it. The infrastructure is not that bad for much of the country, there's just some places. But the fact that Obama didn't go after high speed rail makes me believe he did not think it was necessary. Of course California will be getting one that rivals much of China's, so I guess it depends where you are. The reason China is building all this stuff though is because there was nothing there before, we've had roads and highways across the entire country since the 50s.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #1953
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
I don't care japanese.

Just watch the BBC news video below. It clearly shows the train speed reached 393km/h.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/8406910.stm
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #1954
yuen95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Ask Obama, he could have done it. The infrastructure is not that bad for much of the country, there's just some places. But the fact that Obama didn't go after high speed rail makes me believe he did not think it was necessary. Of course California will be getting one that rivals much of China's, so I guess it depends where you are. The reason China is building all this stuff though is because there was nothing there before, we've had roads and highways across the entire country since the 50s.
When i was a kid, i remember that the highway between shenzhen and guangzhou was the first highway in China (correct me if i am wrong) and now the highway network is the world 's second largest. But still, the government want to build the highspeed rail network. So i think building highspeed rail in US is the matter of will and demand from the government and the people
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #1955
yuen95

Quote:
I don't care japanese.

Everyone is doing the same thing and you don't care. What could i say to you huh? octpusop the honest?
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #1956
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuen95 View Post
When i was a kid, i remember that the highway between shenzhen and guangzhou was the first highway in China (correct me if i am wrong) and now the highway network is the world 's second largest. But still, the government want to build the highspeed rail network. So i think building highspeed rail in US is the matter of will and demand from the government and the people
Not necessarily, it's a lot more practical for China to put a billion people in train cars than put a billion cars on the road. I think there are many reasons China is doing it. Furthermore, the people don't have a say if the Chinese government says they want build a high-speed rail line through their neighborhood. In China they can just do it. In California there have been many town hall meetings and ballot measures made in every stop along the proposed lines to please the people, the state, and the designers of the system. It's been a lot more complicated and that's why is just hasn't sprang up in a matter of 10 years. There will be more high-speed rail in the US in the future, but I'm not sure all parts of the country need it. Much of the US is sparsely populated, with larger cities here and there. There's no reason you need bullet trains going through 100s of miles of nothing. When you get to that point it’s easier just to take a plane. But states like California and Texas will probably need high-speed rail because they have 4 or 5 major cities, and large population growth.
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #1957
Huhu

Likes (Received): 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I think there are many reasons China is doing it. Furthermore, the people don't have a say if the Chinese government says they want build a high-speed rail line through their neighborhood. In China they can just do it.
If this was true all the time, we'd be talking about the new Shanghai maglev extension right now.
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #1958
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huhu View Post
If this was true all the time, we'd be talking about the new Shanghai maglev extension right now.
I don't know about that, the Maglev is extremely expensive. I can see why they didn't go through with it. Was that because of the noise people were complaining about or the health effects of electro magnetic waves? I can't remember. Yes, but that's also Shanghai. Shanghai is supposed to be China's version of New York. The government has to keep some decency level there and sense of respect.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #1959
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Stop trolling...
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #1960
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

^ WOW the Wuhan Station is impressive! Can't wait to see more of it and the new Guangzhou station too.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv