daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #1961
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post

Stop trolling...
+1
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1962
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post

Stop trolling...
What the heck, I never said a thing?
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #1963
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

[deleted]

Last edited by yaohua2000; December 12th, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #1964
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
There will be more high-speed rail in the US in the future, but I'm not sure all parts of the country need it. Much of the US is sparsely populated, with larger cities here and there. There's no reason you need bullet trains going through 100s of miles of nothing. .
No one is saying we need to build HSR in Montana or Idaho. The serious HSR proposals are in densely populated corridors/regions like the Northeast, Midwest, California, and Florida.
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #1965
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Ask Obama, he could have done it. The infrastructure is not that bad for much of the country, there's just some places. But the fact that Obama didn't go after high speed rail makes me believe he did not think it was necessary. Of course California will be getting one that rivals much of China's, so I guess it depends where you are. The reason China is building all this stuff though is because there was nothing there before, we've had roads and highways across the entire country since the 50s.
Obama doesn't run Congress you moron. Ever hear of separation of powers?

And if you think America's infrastructure is great, you are so naive it's not even funny. I have seen many reports that concluded the U.S. would need to spend over TWO TRILLION DOLLARS to bring its roads, bridges, mass transit systems, and water infrastructure up to an adequate level of service.
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #1966
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

yea, california will have one line by the time i'm a grandfather...
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #1967
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
No one is saying we need to build HSR in Montana or Idaho. The serious HSR proposals are in densely populated corridors/regions like the Northeast, Midwest, California, and Florida.
Well a great part of the country is still uninhabited, take the train west and you'll see what I mean. Once you get passed Iowa there's little out there, no farms no nothing. It's not just Montana or Idaho, it's the whole interior of the country. Kansas and Colorado are practically ghost towns. Even in the Midwest I question how profitable high-speed rail would be. The rust belt cities are only rusting further, with the exception of Chicago.

Last edited by Onn; December 13th, 2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #1968
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Obama doesn't run Congress you moron. Ever hear of separation of powers?
Whoa, what?! It was Obama's stimuls package, HE proposed what was in the bill. That's what the president does, proposes legislation for Congress to consider. That's part of his job.

Quote:
And if you think America's infrastructure is great, you are so naive it's not even funny. I have seen many reports that concluded the U.S. would need to spend over TWO TRILLION DOLLARS to bring its roads, bridges, mass transit systems, and water infrastructure up to an adequate level of service.
Okay, well I live in the place where it's worst. So if I can get by with no major problems and living in a major city with no working form of mass transit, so can the rest of country. It's really not that bad, 2 trillion dollars? Where you would spend that money? I don't get it, you’re the one being naive. Much of the mass transit infrastructure doesn’t match Asia or Europe, of course. But it all works fine, I don't know what you’re complaining about. Be thankful for what you got, I think you would find there is a lot worse out there. Most people don't live in major cities in the world where mass transit is of the highest quality. At least here in the US everything is easy access. It will get better with time.
Old December 13th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1969
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
yea, california will have one line by the time i'm a grandfather...
And by 2020!
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #1970
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1142

the price is too high i think, 20 bucks will be perfect.
Old December 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1971
ANR

Likes (Received): 117

Price war declared as ticket sales start for world's fastest train

(Xinhua)
Updated: 2009-12-18

China's railway stations Friday began selling passenger tickets for the Wuhan-Guangzhou high-speed railway, which boasts the world's fastest train journey with a 350-km-per-hour average speed. The service between Wuhan, the largest city in central China, and Guangzhou city, a business hub in the southern Guangdong province, was scheduled to start on December 26. The journey of 1,068.6 kilometers would take three hours, compared with the previous 10 and a half hours, said an official with the Wuhan railway bureau.

Tickets from Wuhan to Guangzhou ranged from 490 yuan ($72) to 780 yuan, almost the same as airline tickets. The China-made bullet trains reached a maximum speed of 394.2 km per hour in trial operations on December 20, said Sun Bangcheng, general engineer of the Tangshan Railway Vehicle Co Ltd of China CNR Corporation Ltd, the manufacturer of the trains.

China's government has launched a major upgrading of the nation's overstretched railway system. It will build 42 high-speed passenger rail lines with a total length of 13,000 kilometers in the next three years. The country opened the first high-speed railway between Beijing and Tianjin last year. With the expanding network of highways, bullet trains could further open up travel to millions of Chinese, while putting the pressure on airlines. "The price for Wuhan-Guangzhou line is reasonable, although it is a little bit higher than discounted flight price," said Wu Bin, a businessman who traveled between the cities frequently. "The time of the rail journey is even shorter than by air, because I can avoid security checks as well as long trips between the airports and city centers."

To attract passengers, China Southern Airlines (CSA) Thursday announced an express service with 30 flights traveling between Guangzhou, Wuhan and Changsha from 8 am to 11 pm every day. The airfare from Wuhan to Guangzhou dived to 190 yuan at the lowest, compared with the previous level at about 1,000 yuan.

When a network of high-speed passenger rail lines traveling at 250 to 350 km per hour is finished in 2012, it will cover almost every major city with a large population. Almost 80 percent of the civil transportation market will be affected. "We can only survive the competition by reducing costs and improving services," said Si Xianmin, general manager of CSA.
ANR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1972
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1677

China has a higher population density, cheaper labor, ability to take land for routes, to centrally plan cities around rail hubs, to move around economic activity as part of a larger national strategy, etc.

In the US it is a cluster**** of high costs and political fights for little to no benefit in a market driven economy that does its own thing. The interstates were before there were so many environmental laws or NIMBYs that make it impossible to built absolutely anything.

Of course, who knows if a few of China's projects for glory will stand the test of time-certainly some will emerge as white elephants. Flying will still be faster and the magnificent new rail stations are also perhaps too inconvenient. It's like when the US built roads and urban projects in the 50's. Exciting but not all made sense after a few decades time.

Really, the one thing I wish from the US is that it would take care of the rail assets in has. We need to reconfigure and pour money into the NEC and other more regionally focused urban lines, getting the most bang for the buck by removing bottlenecks.We will never have the fastest trains but service frequency is another aspect to absolute travel time. This and location of stations is the true determinant in high speed rail's time competitiveness over other modes, not raw track speed. Another is customer service which Amtrak does excel at on some routes but noth others . A fast, but expensive, infrequent and uncomfortable train that still doesn't get you there as quick as an airplane will lose, but a slower but nice train that you can catch at any time of day will.

Last edited by zaphod; December 20th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:42 AM   #1973
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

I thought this thread was about China?
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM   #1974
yaohua2000

Construction work of three railway lines to begin today

Railway Corridor at Central South of Shanxi Province

1260-km long coal railway, electrified, double track

Hefei-Fuzhou High-Speed Rail

806-km long, 350 km/h, CNą110 billion, open in 2014, part of the planned Beijing-Taipei high-speed railway corridor

Hangzhou-Changsha High-Speed Rail

927-km long, 350 km/h, CNą131 billion, open in 2014, part of the planned Shanghai-Kunming high-speed railway corridor

Old December 21st, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1975
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post

Hefei-Fuzhou High-Speed Rail

806-km long, 350 km/h, CNą110 billion, open in 2014, part of the planned Beijing-Taipei high-speed railway corridor
Planned by whom?
Quote:
Hangzhou-Changsha High-Speed Rail

927-km long, 350 km/h, CNą131 billion, open in 2014, part of the planned Shanghai-Kunming high-speed railway corridor
Let┤s count the distances.

Via Wuhan: Guangzhou-Wuhan 968 km, Wuhan-Nanjing 520 km, total 1488 km HSR-s, then a bit under 300 km slow rails Nanjing-Shanghai.

Via Changsha: Guangzhou-Changsha 620 km, Changsha-Hangzhou 927 km, total 1547 km HSR, then a bit under 200 km slow rails to Shanghai.
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:20 PM   #1977
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

I like the 360 views thanks for posting.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:16 AM   #1978
zergcerebrates

I just realized after looking the 360 view of the Guangzhou station its actually quite far from the city.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #1979
yaohua2000

Fastest trains in China (2009 December 28)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest_trains_in_China

List of China's fastest trains by commercial speed faster than 160 km/h. Note that speed is computed only over the entire length of a train's run, and not for parts thereof.

Last edited by yaohua2000; December 24th, 2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1980
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest_trains_in_China

List of China's fastest trains by commercial speed faster than 160 km/h. Note that speed is computed only over the entire length of a train's run, and not for parts thereof.
So there are G trains now.

What are the trains like?
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed train, rail, tgv