daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #101
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 670

Slovakia just have a part of the network AC. Now there is reconstruction of main line Bratislava - Zilina - Kosice for 100km/h to 160km/h. When there are investing to new railtrucks, tunnels, stations... it is not high added cost investing in AC. There is map:

Railway from Dobova to Ljubljana is double truck, but made by old standars, and speed is 80-100km/h. If anytime there would be reconstruction for 160km/h or more, it is better to make it with AC. I remember, one Belgian railwayer told me that EU fondations can be used only for railways with AC 25kV. Now, for example, Bulgaria make new double truck railway to Turkish border for speed 160km/h and proposed 200km/h, with EU money, and Slovenia?
Rail_Serbia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #102
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Nice. However this will take a lot of time and finances, because you must completely rebuild catenary and all supporting electrical systems and, of course, locomotives and EMUs. This was planned for Slovenia long ago, but probably it won't happen, especially in times of multi-system locomotives, which are more expensive than one-system locomotives, but still much cheaper than changing whole electrical system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
How many km of track to convert ? This will be an extremely expensive operation. They will have to :

- Rebuild most bridges : the 25 kV catenary takes more space than the 3 kV
one because of the insulation distances ;
- Rebuild the catenay itself : only the masts can be re-used
- Rebuild all sub-stations, and above all, make sure that the power grid can
feed it properly : DC current can be "fabricated" from a symmetrical input of
3-phase power, but an AC catenary can only be fed by one phase of the
power grid, creating a severe unbalance that only very strong grids can
accept. Will it be the case in Slovakia ? Even the french one had problems
when the TGV substations started working in 1980...
- Rebuild most of the signalling system because the track circuits used with
3 kV will NOT work with AC electrification.

As I said above, Belgium and France have already considered that option and
both withdrew because of the sheer costs. I doubt very much that Slovakia
will be able to bear them, unless there are only a few hundredth km to convert. So I'll believe it when I'll see it.
Slovakia has 1556 km of electrified standard gauge railways:
2.3 km - 15kV 16,7Hz AC
737 km - 25 kV 50Hz AC
816 km - 3kV DC
There are also wide gauge and narrow gauge electrified railways, but we can ignore them.

3 kV DC lines will be converted during modernisation of Va and VI corridors. This complex modernisation basically means there will be built new railway at the site of the old one, in central Slovakia on Va corridor it will be mostly brand new railway and the old route would be demolished because it's not possible to reach needed speed on present railway (it must be at least 160 km/h, but new lines will be ready for 180 - 200 km/h).

For now there were modernised only lines where AC was used before, but in 2015 there should be already converted first DC section from Pchov to Žilina. Of course it will take many years until whole network will be unified. Major part of the conversion will take place between 2014 and 2020 thanks to EU money. In the meantime railways are going to buy new multisystem locos and EMUs and upgrade some present DC rolling stock into multisystem AC and DC to avoid problems during conversion.

I can't see the map in Rail Serbia's post so here is another one which will help to understand it:
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #103
rmcee

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L. SLOVENIA View Post
I don't know. ART 220 presentation was in Ljubljana in March 2009. S has in first plan to buy new EMUs.

are these your photos? can we use them?
rmcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #104
E.L. SLOVENIA

Likes (Received): 6

They aren't mine, only few here are, but you can use them on SSC if you wish.
E.L. SLOVENIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #105
RelaxInPireaus

great thread. love Slovenian rr!
RelaxInPireaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #106
rmcee

Slovenia: EUR 32.6m loss of Slovenian Railways in 10 months

Between January and October this year, Slovenian state-owned railways recorded a net loss of EUR 32.6m, SEEbiz reports.

Cargo traffic with Slovenian Railways dropped by 30% in the mentioned period. Compared to the first ten months of 2008, the company's revenues decreased by EUR 31.9m. These results are slightly better than the forecasts for 2009, the supervisory board of Slovenian Railways announced.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #107
keber

Likes (Received): 1365

Consequence of:
1 - incapable leadership of S (state railways) and their persistent unions
2 - foreign operators (mostly Austrian) are taking over freight business
3 - recession
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #108
rmcee

nothing new. but I would not agree that SZ's inability to defend against competitors is the competitors' fault.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #109
keber

Actually it is. Competitors are small and efficient and they easily take freight from old, big and inefficient state organisation, even if it has new rolling stock. This year foreingers took about 7% of total freight and next year almost double of that is predicted, even if recession slashed total freighttraffic to only about 75-80% of previous year value.
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #110
rmcee

it's not their fault, its their business... Let's hope this will keep SZ motivated.
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #111
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcee View Post
nothing new. but I would not agree that SZ's inability to defend against competitors is the competitors' fault.
In Slovakia we invented an easy way how to defend evil Austrians who want to enter our railway market. We don't allow any Austrian locomotive to enter our territory deeper than to Bratislava. But, our national cargo operator still has to compete with some evil private operators, how sad...
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #112
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcee View Post
Let's hope this will keep SZ motivated.
S need serious reorganisation, there are so many problems with them, that they would bankrupt years ago if they wouldn't be so heavily supported by the state. But also this support is slowly diminishing.
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #113
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
In Slovakia we invented an easy way how to defend evil Austrians who want to enter our railway market. We don't allow any Austrian locomotive to enter our territory deeper than to Bratislava. But, our national cargo operator still has to compete with some evil private operators, how sad...
on the other hand, SR comes to Budapest with their locomotives

btw, i salute to limiting foreign strong operators to do whatever they want under mask of free market
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #114
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
on the other hand, SR comes to Budapest with their locomotives
(It's ZSSK, SR just maintains railways and stations.) Some Hungarian locos can be operated in Slovakia, but except some border stations they aren't.

Quote:
btw, i salute to limiting foreign strong operators to do whatever they want under mask of free market
You should apply for a job in our Ministry of Transportation or in some of the railway companies.
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #115
keber

Quote:
I don't. In railway sector this means that old inefficient state railways don't improve their services and are even greater burden to state budged and taxpayers pocket. Slovenian S is really the right case. Constant changing of company leadership, big and powerful unions, who would like to get more and more money for less work and indecisive government makes S traffic services more and more unappealing therefore losses are bigger and bigger.

Foreign operators work in a modern way and don't eat my money (as a taxpayer).
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #116
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I don't. In railway sector this means that old inefficient state railways don't improve their services and are even greater burden to state budged and taxpayers pocket. Slovenian S is really the right case. Constant changing of company leadership, big and powerful unions, who would like to get more and more money for less work and indecisive government makes S traffic services more and more unappealing therefore losses are bigger and bigger.

Foreign operators work in a modern way and don't eat my money (as a taxpayer).
National cargo operators should not receive public money. If they get something to survive the crisis this can be accepted, but not anything else. If they need money during economic growth then something is really wrong there. On the other hand, they should pay full price for using railways. However, they shouldn't be expected to pay all maintenance costs, passenger trains also use the railways.
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #117
keber

I agree with you, but people in charge don't do much about it.
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #118
rmcee

Slovenia: Employees of Slovenian Railways ask their representatives to leave

Employees of state-owned Slovenian Railways asked their representatives in the companys management board to resign.

Workers of the rail operator accuse their representatives of acting against the interest of employees. It is reported, that the representatives might be responsible for creating a list of people, that were sent on a temporary leave.

Workers with more than 20 years of experience have been put on hold, while their posts were taken over by people, who will do the same work for a higher salary, employees of Slovenian Railways claim. It is believed, that the new workers were chosen based on a personal interest of the representatives, Limun reports.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:21 PM   #119
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Any news of the new Koper-Divaca railway? It will have one or two tracks? As far I know only one, with part of the traffic routed via the existing line, but other sources say it will have two tracks.

fr Gter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #120
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

It will be single track, but the alignment is built with reservation for a second track if needed. 21 km out of 27 will be in tunnel!

http://www.drc.si/Portals/6/prispevki/IV/618-628.pdf

http://www.aszhirportal.hu/documents...141229_815.pdf

fr Gter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote