daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #121
keber

Likes (Received): 1365

First hand info:
Koper -Divača railway will have single track without reservation for a second track. If ever needed, it will be built separately with new tunnels and viaducts.

There are 8 tunnels planned:
T1 - 6700 m
T2 - 6000 m
T8 - 3760 m
and all have service tube. Other five tunnels are shorter without service tube.

Tunnels T1 and T2 will be merged with covered track and effectively they will make one tunnel of almost 13 km length. They both lead also through very cavernous karst terrain and in some places they will be built waterproof for water depths over 100 meters.

There are two viaducts, V1 (450 m long) will run under existing A1 motorway viaduct Črni Kal about in half height, other V2 (650 m long) will run just about 150 m from Italian border and will therefore have anti-noise barriers exclusively for communities in Italy.

Old railway stays in place and will be used for empty freight trains and local passenger trains. It is currently under modernization program, main freight station at port Koper is now under reconstruction and expansion and Divača station should begin expansion this year after all land expropriation problems will be resolved.

New track will be used for fast passenger trains and loaded freight trains in both directions. There will be even overtaking track inside the T2 tunnel. Also slabtrack will be used from first to last tunnel. Design speeds range until 160 km/h, with trains with tilting technology even more. From Divača to Koper there is about 430 m of height difference, so most of the track will use maximum allowed gradient of 1,7 %.

Current status:
First part to start construction is lower part from Črni Kal to Koper and project for construction permit was already made. Upper part to Divača is still in designing phase (for construction permit) and should be finished in few months. Construction permits are still not given (blame slow and inefficient state services) and also needed land is still not bought. Construction should start this year and should take at least 5 years, but with current uncertain status of construction in Slovenia with almost all major companies going bankrupt or close to and government close to resign it is very unlikely that anything important will happen this year.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #122
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Thank you! Do you know any document available online with details of this line, even in Slovenian? Do you know the length of the passing track in tunnel T2?

fr Gter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #123
keber

Likes (Received): 1365

Here is spatial plan of Divača-Koper railway, accepted in 2005 (sorry, no graphics).
http://www.uradni-list.si/1/objava.j...&stevilka=1688

Try with google translate. In general, it is valid for most of details, but there are some things that have been changed during later design phase (like bridge between T1 and T2).

More recent documents are as I know still not available to the public and are still in the hands of designers and state officials only. I think more information will be available after construction permits will be issued (and also when this new railway will be more publicized - current government does not do that job at best).

Passing track in T2 is short, just 750 meters of useful length, so one of trains definitely needs to be stopped when passing.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #124
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
why do you think so? there are more 1,5 and 3 kV railroads in Europe than 15 and 25!
Due more to the age of electrification than anything else. New overhead wiring electrification grids (e.g. those on the LGVs, AVE, etc.) are going up at 25kV AC 60MHz...something of an emergent global standard.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #125
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Surely you mean 50 Hz (the standard frequency for electrical supplies in European countries), not 60 MHz.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #126
oakwood....

Likes (Received): 5007

Trains at a railway station Lesce-Bled

Train on the line Ljubljana-Jesenice

Train on the line Villach-Ljubljana-Zagreb

by me
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #127
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 770

. Happy memories on the Ljubljana-Jesenice train. Bled is a beautiful place.
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #128
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Nice pics, but ugly graffiti. Got more?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #129
oakwood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nice pics, but ugly graffiti. Got more?
I agree, regarding the statement of the graffiti, the same problems we have in Zagreb. In a word, they look terrible, the train is very nice, but with graffiti on it a nice look to him falling.
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #130
oakwood....

I'm not so much photographing railways, now I'm sorry, these few photos I shot at the speed I was short review with time. I have a few more pictures, but they did not come out right. Here I'll just put these two ....

Lake Bled railway station, and a tunnel near the station.

Btw,this train station is beautiful

and Tunnel...

by me
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #131
oakwood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolothos View Post
. Happy memories on the Ljubljana-Jesenice train. Bled is a beautiful place.
Bled is a very nice place, in fact the whole of Slovenia is a beautiful country. Every time I visit her again surprised its beauty. I'm glad that you cherish the happy moments of this trip, as I have experienced, just nice and pleasant moments.
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #132
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

I was very surprised by Ljubljana too. A great city with great pubs!
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #133
oakwood....

Yeah, I've heard stories of Ljubljana pubs, many times I went through Ljubljana, and I never stopped and toured the city. I hope to get some time to Ljubljana in order to better explore and get to know.
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #134
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

Why trains doesn't drive away from Gornja Radgona?
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #135
Verso
Islander

Because there wouldn't be enough passengers.
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #136
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

Likes (Received): 908

I have been to Ljubljana by train twice. Ljubljana is very beautiful city and Slovenia is very beautiful country, but I can not tell the same about the trains. We travel to Slovenia every year the last weekend before chrismas. We were travelling by trains Ljubljana-Zagreb. The first time the train consisted of some Croatian carriages that were ultra-modern, we felt like in a spaceship, but the last time there were only Slovenian cars and they were terrible! The trains were marked as IC/EC, but the first one had only 3 cars, all of them ancient austrian Bmz with ancient waste-relasing-directly-to-the-tracks toilets that were extremely dirty. There was no water there for flushing the toilet, nor for handwash(however, the sink was not usable anyway, the drain was blocked with toilet paper). The return train was simmilar, just with more cars. Plus, there was almost nobody in the train except us. Is this normal? It was certainly not worth the supplements.
Ondro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #137
Verso
Islander

Are you sure there was no water for handwash? I think you have to step on a pedal to get water out of the tap.
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #138
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

Likes (Received): 908

Positive. I am familiar with this kind of cars and toilets.
Ondro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #139
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

The train I took from Split to Zagreb was by far the worst. A very bare bones experience. Toilets were pretty awful, and the seats weren't comfortable, and me and my friends were sharing our compartment with an old Croatian woman!

The train from Zagreb to Ljubljana, on the other hand, was excellent. One of those tilting EMUs I think. Great views too.

I was glad to be on a train though. I travelled by bus from Dubrovnik to Split. I had a close shave on the Bosnian border, as I'd left my passport in the luggage hold.. ''I'm British!'' seems to suffice instead!
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:28 AM   #140
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolothos View Post
The train from Zagreb to Ljubljana, on the other hand, was excellent. One of those tilting EMUs I think.
There are no tilting EMUs between Zagreb and Ljubljana. Pendolinos drive only between Ljubljana and Maribor (and between Ljubljana and Koper in summer weekends, but since the beginning of December this year every day).

Last edited by Verso; December 31st, 2012 at 04:49 AM.