daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #61
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 2822

Passed through E&C on the bus yesterday for the first time in ages. I had forgotten how dismal the place really was. Looking at some of the plans here I was thinking they could be a bit of a disappointment. Seeing it first hand was a good reminder that pretty much anything will be an improvement on whats there already!
Octoman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #62
delores

Likes (Received): 176

agree its still a dive...I cannot see anything really making a massive difference for atleast 10 years.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #63
SELondoner

Likes (Received): 12

Construction is under way on several schemes around the edge of the main masterplan area, and it's hoped the southern set of subways will be filled in within 18 months. That'll make a difference.

Then when the Heygate estate and shopping centre are demolished, they'll leave behind a very large cleared area before the new build starts, so the place really will be quite different inside of 10 years.
SELondoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #64
delores

The shopping centre is really the main reason why I hate elephant and castle, that and the ghetto that surround's it. I know its all going ' gradually' but until some massive demolition of the main culprits, it will still look pretty crap and an intimidating place. The college of printing too is one of the worst eyesores in that area , is that going? it really needs to.
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #65
.Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
The shopping centre is really the main reason why I hate elephant and castle, that and the ghetto that surround's it. I know its all going ' gradually' but until some massive demolition of the main culprits, it will still look pretty crap and an intimidating place. The college of printing too is one of the worst eyesores in that area , is that going? it really needs to.
Nobody would ever know that building changed it name a few years ago, all the signage in the area hasnt been changed!, and I completley agree its one of the tallest buildings in the area, and its a terrible eyesore and does nothing for the reputation of the University, Its base is a windswept dump and the cladding on the exterior looks like it's been through a fire!

The sooner this building is either reclad or replaced the better! .. Its no better on the inside either!
.Adam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #66
delores

If the the E&C are serious about the rebranding of this area of town , the roundabout which is the most prominent part of the scheme has to be cleaned up in regards to the buildings that surround it. That building is so shocking and ugly that I'm surprised it has not gone already. There has to be plans to demolish this pile of crap.
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #67
london lad

Likes (Received): 485

They are reconfiguring the roundabouts & redeveloping the whole area around it. Should be finished around 2014-16.

http://www.elephantandcastle.org.uk/

Also - read this article from First Base who are one of the led developers along with Lend Lease & Oakmayne for the central redevelopment which says there should be 6 towers of at least 40 storeys.

london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #68
fitz44

Likes (Received): 16

Over on nearby Keyworth St, Grimshaw's new Keyworth 2 building for the South Bank Uni is U/C.

Old March 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #69
fitz44

Likes (Received): 16

Also U/C is Maccreanor lavington's new hotel on Waterloo Road.

Old March 24th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #70
BenL

Likes (Received): 0

Sad. I presume they're demolishing the old brutalist South Bank University building in Clapham for this.
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #71
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
Sad. I presume they're demolishing the old brutalist South Bank University building in Clapham for this.
Sad? All this new development looks like a pretty massive improvement to me - what's sad?
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #72
BenL

Likes (Received): 0

The building in Clapham was rather impressive. Would it be possible for someone to list the modernist mid-century buildings being demolished for the E&C redevelopment?
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #73
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Maccreanor lavington's new hotel on Waterloo Road is very nice.
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #74
london lad

Likes (Received): 485

There was an article on the E&C redevelopment in Eg the other week. Apparently Make are working on up to 7 towers for the site (although, I would imagine not all would probably towers in the strictest sense) but more concrete plans should be made under when they finally sort out with TFL the road & roundabout configuration which has been a sticking point for a long time now.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #75
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post
Also U/C is Maccreanor lavington's new hotel on Waterloo Road.
Ah cheers I was wondering what that was, go past it on the bus every day!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #76
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 1

Lend Lease-led consortium agrees plans for £1.5bn development of Elephant & Castle
12:14 | 12.08.08
By Jonathan Brasse

A Lend Lease-led consortium has formalised its development agreement with Southwark Council for the £1.5bn development of Elephant & Castle in London.

The agreement comes a year after the Australian property company and its development partners First Base and Oakmayne were selected by the council for the regeneration of the area south of the Thames.

The 52-acre, mixed-use development is to include 5,000 homes and 800,000 sq ft of retail space.

The scheme already has planning consent on two phases of residential and is in the planning process on the rest.

Councillor Paul Noblet, Southwark Council’s executive member for regeneration, said: ‘Signing this partnership agreement shows the level of commitment on both sides to push this project forward and I'm looking forward to seeing the project come to fruition during the coming years.’

Lend Lease Elephant and Castle project director, Mark Boyes, said: ‘For Lend Lease, this is the next stepping stone in this exciting project’s progression. We have been working hard on the detailed masterplanning over the last new months and we look forward to sharing our thinking with Southwark residents and local organisations in 2009.’

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3120275&c=1
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #77
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6121

Actually, this means they're a year behind schedule. Also, the shopping centre won't be demolished until 2012:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3453
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #78
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 2032

Grrr... whats the hold up?
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #79
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6121

Latest Elephant & Castle roundabout delay is "hammer blow" says Labour

"Boris Johnson has delivered a real slap in the face for the Elephant & Castle regeneration," says Cllr Paul Bates, Southwark Labour's housing and regeneration spokesman.

"His decision could well cause a massive headache for the council and lead to even more delays and indecision around this vital scheme.

"The transport infrastructure around the re-shaped Elephant footprint is absolutely critical to its success. This news is a real hammer blow.

"It seems Tory Boris has a bit of a problem with Southwark. This latest bleak news for Elephant comes just weeks after the Mayor made some unhelpful comments about the Cross River Tram project. The tram is crucial to making regeneration work for the people of this borough. Boris has some real explaining to do.

"We cannot afford these major set-backs. The people of Southwark are crying out for decent housing and improved communities. Boris Johnson seems unable to understand this."

Full story:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3531
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #80
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3018

haha. all those stupid nimbys in southwark who voted for him... i hope they feel stupid now.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: