daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #341
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Tourist drive from Tsukuba to the Port of Choshi to see the Pacific
Autumn 2009

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #342
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

What's the name of the bridge in the last pic?
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #343
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
What's the name of the bridge in the last pic?
It must have been this one - yet I don't know if it has a name:

Old October 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #344
ForteTwo
Quadragintaduologist

Likes (Received): 15

Simply "Choshi Ohashi" or "Choshi Bridge"
ForteTwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #345
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Tourist drive from Tsukuba to Yokohama
Autumn 2009
Part 1: Motorway Tsukuba - Tokyo

1. The motorway feels very German, apart from the general speed limit of 100 km/h

2. In the fast lane, speeds of 140 km/h and above were common

4. Japan has both European-looking and the American-style (yellow diamond) traffic signs.

5. A toll gate. ETC is the electronic toll collection, otherwise the driver needs credit card or cash.

7. Approaching Tokyo. Thru traffic does not need to enter the city. This was on a Sunday - traffic must be a lot denser on working days.

8. Most of this urban expressway was limited to 60 km/h. Other drivers, though, passed by at 100 km/h or more. Contrary to tourists, they likely know where the speed traps and police are ...

9. Nice Tokyo skyline

The motorways are expensive, but -if not congested- a joy to drive ...
Old November 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #346
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

The roads and paving are really top-notch (I guess that shows the extremely high quality of world-class Japanese road infrastructure).

However, those speed limits are just boring

Personally, I'd consider it as a waste of toll money if I drove on the Wangan Expressway (Bayshore Route) at a measly 80 km/h.

For something like those, I would only go for max. of 120 km/h (if I have one or more passengers) or 140 km/h-160 km/h (if I'm driving alone). Hey, don't most JDM cars have a max speedometer reading of 180 km/h? Personally, if I'm driving by myself, then I would even max it out till there.

P.S.

That black car in front of yours. I guess he must be a slow driver.

I do wonder: is that two way or one way

Either way, if it were me, I'd definitely overtake that black car (even if I have to counterflow doing it).........though it's kinda risky as well since the roads are wet and grip is not as good when wet.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #347
devo

Likes (Received): 41

It’s two-way. I have to quote Jeremy Clarkson on the fact that Japanese roads looks like racetracks from a game.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #348
ForteTwo
Quadragintaduologist

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Either way, if it were me, I'd definitely overtake that black car (even if I have to counterflow doing it).........though it's kinda risky as well since the roads are wet and grip is not as good when wet.
Overtaking in such a manner is rare in Japan (not to mention illegal). In fact, most multilane carriageways separate the lanes with solid white lines on bridges and in tunnels, making it also illegal to change lanes. Most drivers tend to be content to follow the car in front of them.

In general, the ridiculously low speed limits are ignored and unenforced. I would argue that this makes drivers a bit more cautious, since if there were an accident and you were found to be speeding, your percentage of at-faultedness (is that a word?) would go up.
ForteTwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #349
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteTwo View Post
I would argue that this makes drivers a bit more cautious, since if there were an accident and you were found to be speeding, your percentage of at-faultedness (is that a word?) would go up.
There is a similar regulation even for the unlimited stretches of the German autobahn network: you always have the recommended speed (Richtgeschwindigkeit) of 130 km/h. If involved in an accident while having driven at a speed higher than that, partial fault will be assigned to the fast driver, even if he otherwise has respected all rules.
This partial fault can only be avoided if the driver proves that the accident could not have been prevented even if he had driven at 130 km/h or less.
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:03 PM   #350
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteTwo View Post
Overtaking in such a manner is rare in Japan (not to mention illegal). In fact, most multilane carriageways separate the lanes with solid white lines on bridges and in tunnels, making it also illegal to change lanes. Most drivers tend to be content to follow the car in front of them.
Haha man, that's gotta be boring if the car ahead of you is like only 60 km/h

Yawn :/

I also don't get why Wangan is still 100 km/h max limit. Isn't this a full motorway? (fastest form of road in that country).

Oh well, if I just stick at 100 km/h, I might fall asleep on the wheel and that makes it dangerous for me. Speed is too slow and can actually cause more accidents.

It should be at least 120 km/h.
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #351
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10667

Japan's new Shin Tomei highway to be ready by 2020
Quote:
SHIZUOKA, Japan: A new expressway linking Japan's major cities is being built and will be ready by 2020.

The Shin Tomei highway will not only improve the convenience of road travel, it will also be an asset in the event of a major earthquake.

The Tomei Expressway connects two of Japan's biggest cities, Tokyo and Nagoya. It runs for 346.8 kilometres, but it is often congested. Construction of a new highway - the Shin Tomei - began in 1993.

Running parallel to Tomei Expressway, it is expected to boost economic activity by 7 trillion yen or US$90 billion in 50 years.

Atsushi Muramatsu, division director of the Road Planning Division in the Shizuoka Prefectural Government, said: "Tomei runs along the coastline. This one is running (in the) inland area. It is resistant to the predicted Tokai Earthquake. So I think the double network is an asset."

The longest tunnel, which runs for 4.7 kilometres, has lights that make it as bright as day. Mr Sato said: "We have installed the latest technologies such as the ceramic metal highlight, LED lights, to improve the view." Engineers said the key to better visibility is to light the road not from the top, but from the side.

Power comes from solar panels, reducing energy consumption and CO2 emissions.

But, according to the road company, it is the unconventional method used in constructing the road that has impressed people overseas. Hiromichi Yamada from the Shizuoka Construction Office at the Central Nippon Expressway Company, said: "Shin Tomei's road bed is double-layered, below is cement, on top is asphalt..." And it is this double support that makes the road more durable.

The 162-kilometre area within Shizuoka is expected to open by the middle of next year, and the whole 255 kilometres will be opened by 2020.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...174971/1/.html
ukiyo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #352
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 464

It's ABOUT TIME!! The section between Numazu and Ebina/Atsugi IC has the worst traffic on the holiday periods.

Even though I'm mostly a train nut, I also enjoy driving here in Japan as well, so I can't wait to get my car out on that new track---I mean highway...
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #353
daneo

Likes (Received): 13

How is it possible that there are no 5+ highway lanes anywhere in Japan?
I know that in Tokyo the widest roads are 2x3.
Im wondering what the cause is that japanese cities don't need big roads to support the traffic volume.

For example, the highway between Amsterdam and Utrecht, 2 relatively small cities, is 2x5 lanes. You can't blame public transport for it because thats almost excellent here in the netherlands.
Never been in Moscow but there are huge roads also not a solution for the huge traffic, while they also DO have good transportation (check Moscow's metromap)
daneo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #354
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Most urban expressways in Japan were built in the 1960's and 1970's and had no space reservation for more than their initial lane count, even shoulders were often omitted.

So, instead of widenings, Japan opts for new parallel expressways. With the Shin-Tomei Expressway there will be 3 expressways between Tokyo and Nagoya. There are also 2 expressways between Tokyo and Sendai, 2 between Osaka and Fukuoka, 2 between Nagoya and Osaka, etcetera.

As far as I know there has never been any expressway widening in Japan apart from sections that were initially built with 1x2 lanes in rural areas.

There are almost no expressways in Japan with more than three lanes each way, apart from a few 4-lane, one-way expressway loops for instance in Nagoya and Osaka and some sections between junctions. This is also why there are comparatively few expressways with high traffic counts, traffic counts over 120 000 vehicles per day are pretty rare. Although I must add some elevated expressways have six-lane urban arterials running underneath them, pushing corridor volumes up to 200 000 vehicles per day.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #355
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 464

This is true
The majority of urban expressways were built starting in the mid 60's through the 1990's, and some even are being finished as we speak; like Nagoya's 2nd Ring Road (NEXCO Central Japan managed, with 3 lanes both directions) and MeiKouSoku Expressway Rte 4- Nagoya Port route (Nagoya Expressway Company managed with 2 lanes in both directions.)

In both cases, these are built directly over major boulevards because there's nowhere else to put them, and land values are much to high to go clear-cutting swaths of land to build expressways; the eminent-domain laws in Japan aren't as strong as those in the US.

In a place like Yokohama though you have to think outside the box... Yokohama's land is hilly and because of this, there aren't really straight, wide avenues to build over... In the mid 20th century this worked to an advantage because that also meant there were lots of places that were still farmland (even in Japan's 2nd largest city) and isolated areas where one could just plow a tollway on through. This is how the Tomei, Dai-san(#3) Keihin Expressway got built. These days though, most land is built up and if a straight shot is needed to get from one side of Yokohama to the other, then good luck-- it doesn't exist.

That's going to change soon. They're building the Yokohama Loop Road.
Using primarily tunnels under the hilly, populated sections, they're going to make a straight as-the-crow-flies route to connect the Bayshore, No. 1 and No. 3 Keihin Expressways together. Which is very much NEEDED!

http://www.yokokan-kita.com/now/index.html

On this site, you can track the two tunneling machines as they dig their way eastward toward the bay. I live not to far from the western-most area, so this will help me a lot; right now it takes about an HOUR to get from my area to where the tollway will end at Dai-koku-Futo... A distance of only 12 kms or so from my area.

This is just the northern arc of the planned loop. the southern arc is also being built right now-- but sections of it will utilize already built parts of other expressways. The only unbuilt sections will also be tunneled as well.

What's really needed is the Western Arc-- it's the longest section at over 15km long. However it will also connect to the Tomei Expressway and provide a much needed link for truck traffic that needs to get to/from the Keihin Industrial Zone on the bayshore to the most heavily used expressway in Japan.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #356
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneo View Post
Im wondering what the cause is that japanese cities don't need big roads to support the traffic volume.

For example, the highway between Amsterdam and Utrecht, 2 relatively small cities, is 2x5 lanes. You can't blame public transport for it because thats almost excellent here in the netherlands.
Never been in Moscow but there are huge roads also not a solution for the huge traffic, while they also DO have good transportation (check Moscow's metromap)

because there are so many tunnels.
it have to dig many 4 lanes tunnels.
Before a tunnel, it is certainly congested.

from 7:00

Last edited by castermaild55; February 7th, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #357
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneo View Post

I'm not sure on this myself but I think there is a 5-6 lane section along the Wangan Expressway (Bayshore Route of the Shuto Expressway). I think it's along the area near Daiba.
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #358
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10667

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In the future, Tokyo will get 4 ring roads;

C1: around downtown Tokyo
C2: around central Tokyo
Tokyo-Gaikan: around Tokyo proper
Ken-Ō: around metropolitan Tokyo
Here is a link on all the info of them including the sections u/c and when they will be completed: http://www.ktr.mlit.go.jp/honkyoku/r...ress/index.htm
ukiyo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #359
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
Here is a link on all the info of them including the sections u/c and when they will be completed: http://www.ktr.mlit.go.jp/honkyoku/r...ress/index.htm
Cool.

Last edited by Blackraven; February 10th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #360
ko7

Likes (Received): 2738

Thanks a lot ukiyo.
ko7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote