daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #401
LegendofZelda1996

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The majority of Japanese passenger transport is by car, even though this is the lowest in all developed countries (apart from some city-states like Hong Kong or Singapore).
I think otherwise. I think that the majority of Japanese passenger transport is by train.
LegendofZelda1996 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #402
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

You can think all you want, but the statistics prove otherwise. 65.6% of Japanese passenger traffic is by car, 28.7% by train.

See: http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/handbook/c09cont.htm

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #403
rilham2new
Obsolete User

Likes (Received): 1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendofZelda1996 View Post
I think otherwise. I think that the majority of Japanese passenger transport is by train.
I believe this is true, If u consider the working class citizen going to work to their offices in the city center.

But, Japan is much larger than the city center. People living in less densely populated area highly relies on cars.

Even in developed countries like Australia where people highly relies on car, people using public transport to go to work to the city center is considerably high in some cases. Apart from that, not everyone in the city works in city center, right?
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #404
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Trains and public transport are definitely present and abundant in Japan (no question).

HOWEVER

One cannot ignore that the automobile industry is a significant contributor the industrial output in Japan. Domestic consumption shows that they buy cars like Toyota Corolla and Subaru Legacy in the THOUSANDS EACH MONTH.

Heck, when the Lexus LS came out there, they registered more than 10,000 units of pre-orders. Really intense.

Such phenomenon explains why Japan is one of the top three in the world regards to the automobile population (along with United States and Mainland China).

Hence, ChrisZwolle is right in his point and I agree with his opinion here
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #405
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10650

Generally speaking japanese use the train to commute to work, and use the car to buy groceries and on weekends while going out. Though outside of the major cities, cars are dominant..but there is still a rail presence, more so than in other countries.

Also keep in mind a decent % of japanese simply use a bicycle (or walking) for their average daily commute, though that is no expressed by the MLIT.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #406
LegendofZelda1996

Here is a picture of the Shuto Expressway (首都高速道路).

Source: http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/old_yanke...a/8afbb938.JPG

And why are there not signs like this in California?

Last edited by LegendofZelda1996; May 27th, 2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: So many picture problems...
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #407
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendofZelda1996 View Post
And why are there not signs like this in California?
I think that's way too much information for the average person to absorb, while driving at expressway speeds in traffic.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #408
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Signs like that are meant for the daily driver.
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #409
LegendofZelda1996

Here is an expressway in Japan. But I am not sure what the name of this expressway is.
image hosted on flickr

You can notice that there are two speed limits shown in this picture, 100 kilometres per hour (60 miles per hour) and 80 kilometres per hour (50 miles per hour). I think I remember someone complaining about the speed limits in Japan being way too slow.

Well, most of the freeways in California has a speed limit of 105 kilometres per hour (65 miles per hour) with the exception of rural areas which has a speed limit of 110 kilometres per hour (70 miles per hour). So, California has low speed limits like in Japan. And I do live in California to know this.
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #410
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Higashi = East. So it's probably the Joban Expressway.
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #411
LegendofZelda1996

Quote:
Thanks.

Well, here are some photos of the Higashi-Kantō Expressway (東関東自動車道).

Source: http://trafficsignal.jp/~trafficsign...nto2/hktn1.jpg

Source: http://trafficsignal.jp/~trafficsign...to2/hktn37.jpg
Old May 27th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #412
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 460

Here's the Dai-San Keihin tollway from it's start in central Yokohama at the Hodogaya interchange to it's end in Tokyo at Kan-Pachi dori in an ELECTRIC CAR!! Midway through, the driver stopps at the Kohoku PA to juice up (this part of the tollway is about 4kms from my house BTW.)

Another example of 3x3 lane expressways. I wish the Dai-san ran through to the Shutoko Shibuya route though. Notice all the traffic on Kanpachi. One day they'll extend the Gaikan expwy all the way from Nerima down to Tamagawa and follow it all the way to the Aqualine-- crossing the Chuo,Tomei-Shutoko #4, Daisan, Shutoko K3 and Bayshore routes at once... Sigh.

Also I agree with the other statements above. I work in Tokyo, and my 45 minute train ride turns into almost 2 hours when driving to the same place!!
Living in Yokohama which is slightly less dense than central Tokyo, I don't really NEED a car, but there are lots of places here that you'd never see from the train or bus. For me, a good Kei (light car) + scooter is the way to go.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #413
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Speaking of my "hometown" Yokohama, there are a bunch of major projects going on here. The Yokohama Loop Expressway (横浜環状線) is the biggest one though.

The project is in 3 sections.

http://www.yokokan-kita.com/now/index.html
The Northern part involves making a mostly tunneled arc segment between the K1-Yokohane expwy and the Daisan expwy through northern Yokohama. A later segment will press on west to the Tomei expwy.

http://www.yokokan-minami.com/site/
The southern portion goes from the Yoko-yoko/Bayshore IC westward to the Yokohama-Shonan Expwy. These sections are under construction now, and will be finished in phases between 2013-16.

The western arc is being planned now and scheduled to be under construction by 2013. it will tie these two sections together.

Yokohama's topography is very hilly and sometimes mountainous, so there's not a straight road here, and most streets are narrow and wind about. Even though I am an advocate of public transit, there also needs to be adequate roads to help ferry freight and through traffic around. Also after having lived through the massive quake last year here, expressways help get supplies in/out of affected areas more-- remember, most trains here are electric!
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #414
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendofzelda1996
Here is an expressway in Japan. But I am not sure what the name of this expressway is.
Quote:
Actually it's not the Joban. It's the Sendai Toubu Tollway.
Here's that IC. http://goo.gl/maps/PhjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendofzelda1996
You can notice that there are two speed limits shown in this picture
Top speed limit is for cars/busses/motorcycles, bottom is for trucks.

Also notice the speed limits are posted on CMD signs (Changeable Message Display). The limit drops in adverse conditions like jams, and bad weather. Most speed limits outside of town are around 100~110 kph. Heavier traveled roads like the Tomei and Meishin are 80 though... But you can get away with 100 if you are cautious!

Last edited by starrwulfe; May 27th, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #415
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Don´t you find the Japanese signs confusing? There seems to be lots of information on it. Perhaps a little too much for the average driver to take in...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #416
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Expressway numbers instead of expressway names would help a lot. Malaysia has done this right with their E-numbers, and South Korea as well, even though the South Korean signage is still pretty messy.
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #417
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Don´t you find the Japanese signs confusing? There seems to be lots of information on it. Perhaps a little too much for the average driver to take in...
Yeah, they can be REALLY confusing around Tokyo especially, but remember one thing:

Japan has the highest number of in-car GPS navigation systems sold in the world.

The last time I used an actual paper map was around 2002. Ever since then, I've always had a "car-navi" here. When on the highway, the navigation systems totally recreate every single BGS and lane marking-- some even tell where speed-cams and traps are.

here's a good example of what I mean. This new model uses a front camera to show EXACTLY where stuff is, what color the trafic light is (in case you can't see it) and even how much space to leave between your car and the one in front and so on.

I hardly ever look at the actual signs anymore...
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #418
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19133

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Yeah, they can be REALLY confusing around Tokyo especially, but remember one thing:

Japan has the highest number of in-car GPS navigation systems sold in the world.

The last time I used an actual paper map was around 2002. Ever since then, I've always had a "car-navi" here. When on the highway, the navigation systems totally recreate every single BGS and lane marking-- some even tell where speed-cams and traps are.

here's a good example of what I mean. This new model uses a front camera to show EXACTLY where stuff is, what color the trafic light is (in case you can't see it) and even how much space to leave between your car and the one in front and so on.

Wow it looks quite futuristic. Or like a computer game
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:28 AM   #419
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post

I think it takes the fun part of driving away, in addition to the fact that cars have automatic transmission there....
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:00 PM   #420
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

The GPS can tell the color of the traffic light and how much space the car should leave in front of it.

Why can't the GPS just drive the car as well?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote