daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #321
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Question: Is there somewhere on the internet a list of all placenames in South Africa that have been officially renamed since 1994 ?

Vraag: Is daar iewers op die internet 'n lys van al die plekname in Suid-Afrika wat sedert 1994 amptelik hernoem is?
I personally think it's a pity that Pretoria is renamed Tshwane. Pretoria sounds better and is easier to spell and pronounce.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #322
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

for what I know, Pretoria is still Pretoria cause it's an area of the city, while Tshwane is the metropolitan municipality
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #323
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Not to my knowledge, but there aren't that many anyway (outside of Limpopo and Mpumalanga provinces). Most of the renamings were done to correct spellings anyway (Umtata became Mthatha, and so forth).

I'll search around, see if I can't find one.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #324
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
I personally think it's a pity that Pretoria is renamed Tshwane. Pretoria sounds better and is easier to spell and pronounce.
Yeah Pretoria hasn't been renamed, only the council has
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:34 AM   #325
HigerBigger

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2K View Post
Not to my knowledge, but there aren't that many anyway (outside of Limpopo and Mpumalanga provinces). Most of the renamings were done to correct spellings anyway (Umtata became Mthatha, and so forth).

I'll search around, see if I can't find one.
What correct the spelling? The original Xhosa or any other black SA language was always only a spoken language and not written. The majority of place names was a representation of the phonetics of the pronounciation.

Some of the changes that is currently happening can also be because the black languages changed. Take the following examples:

Mafeking became Mafikeng and now Mahikeng but everyone still speak about Mafeking.
Magalies became Mogales

Many councils in the country chose names for themselves or their areas and this names is not place names, but only government names. Examples:
Tswane Metropolitan council contains Pretoria, Centurion, Bapsfontein, Acacia etc.
Mogale City contains Krugersdorp, Muldersdrift, Lanseria and Magaliesburg
Ekhuruleni contains Kempton Park, Boksburg Benoni etc.
HigerBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 01:43 AM   #326
DanielFigFoz

Those languages were written long before any place name change.

Afrikaans was originality only spoken too, just like all other languges
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:58 AM   #327
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19418

Dreadful those name changes in South Africa (sports, regions, states, cities, roads, everything). It's clearly a matter of ethnic cleansing. I know this make no difference, but I refuse to use the new names. Centurion, for example: what a hell does it mean? Verwoerdburg was much better.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM   #328
DanielFigFoz

Verwoerdburg was named after a bastard who designed Apartheid. Centurion is named after a sports ground who in turn is named after the Roman soldiers I guess.

I know which one I think is better

P.S

Centurion was once called Littleton and then became Arseholeburg
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:17 PM   #329
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

The name changes started off by removing the names of prominent apartheid-era figures such as Verwoerdburg, which was relatively uncontroversial. Later it became much more controversial because a lot of places that didn't have political names (such as Naboomspruit, which was named after a type of tree [naboom] that grows next to a stream [spruit]) and places with historic names started being renamed.

Also, many places in South Africa have long had different names in different languages, such as Cape Town (English), Kaapstad (Afrikaans), iKapa (Xhosa) but instead of introducing African names, they instead got rid of the "white" (especially Afrikaans) names.

I think a lot of white South Africans feel this is a sign of the government's hostility to them and that it doesn't really believe they belong there. Also I think people associate mass name-changing with extreme-left wing, populist or other irresponsible radical regimes and find it unsettling.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM   #330
DanielFigFoz

Anyway, its not like most place names were changed
Old November 13th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #331
DanielFigFoz

I have noticed that in a lot of the Johannesburg CBD the google streetview car had a jeep behind it
Old November 13th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #332
ed110220

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I have noticed that in a lot of the Johannesburg CBD the google streetview car had a jeep behind it
Maybe it was security? The centre of Johannesburg has been improved in recent years, but there are still plenty of parts that you would not really want to go.
Old November 13th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #333
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Better a Jeep than this thing:

http://www.wikio.com/video/marauder-...---bbc-5815603

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #334
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

I don't need a discussion on apartheid, I just asked for a list I couldn't find. Perhaps it doesn't exist anyway...

Quote:
Afrikaans was originality only spoken too, just like all other languges
This is absolutely not true. Afrikaans has derived from my native language, Dutch, and it had been a written language for centuries. Until 1925 Afrikaans was seen as a Dutch dialect, and for that reason you can't say that the language of the Boers was a "spoken language only".
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #335
ed110220

Quote:
I don't need a discussion on apartheid, I just asked for a list I couldn't find. Perhaps it doesn't exist anyway...

This is absolutely not true. Afrikaans has derived from my native language, Dutch, and it had been a written language for centuries. Until 1925 Afrikaans was seen as a Dutch dialect, and for that reason you can't say that the language of the Boers was a "spoken language only".
Well yes and no... If you look at official documents, monuments etc from that period, they are written in standard Dutch, which is pretty much identical to the standard Dutch of today. People did not generally write in Afrikaans, or its ancestor dialects in those days. The first definitely Afrikaans publications, such as newspapers began appearing in the late 19th Century and the bible was not fully translated into Afrikaans till the 1930s. Before then they would have used a standard Dutch bible, which became increasingly difficult as the two languages drifted apart.

So there is not actually much text from the early development of Afrikaans and that makes its study difficult. Some is written in Arabic script as it was written down by Muslims in the Cape.
Old November 13th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #336
DanielFigFoz

Quote:

As you said they wrote in Dutch, not in Afrikaans. And msot languages were lie that. English was spoken before it was written, for many years most things were written in French or Latin. Portuguese was spoken before it was written, Italian the same, French the same, its a normal process

Anyway, here you go, its a list of changed place names:

http://af.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleknaa...in_Suid-Afrika
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #337
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Anyway, here you go, its a list of changed place names:

http://af.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleknaa...in_Suid-Afrika
Thanx, this type of information is wat I was looking for.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #338
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 429

Some South African road pictures (my own) uploaded to Wikipedia.

N1 as it approaches Cape Town...

Umhlanga (north of Durban), with N2 freeway in foreground...

N1 at Hex River Pass between De Doorns and Touws River...

Durban and the N3 freeway from the plane; EB Cloete (N2/N3) Interchange in foreground...

Aerial of Stellenberg Interchange (N1) and R300 (Kuils River Parkway) near Cape Town...

Aerial of Somerset West looking towards the Hottentots-Holland Mountains with N2 straight through it...
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #339
ed110220

Great photos Annman!

In the last one you can see the land reserved for the N2 to bypass Somerset West and Strand, with space for at least one diamond interchange. At the moment the freeway ends just below the bottom of the photo and the N2 diverts back onto the old road through Somerset West where several sets of traffic lights cause major congestion.

This has been on the cards for at least 30 years (probably quite a bit longer, but I'm not sure exactly, certainly longer than I can remember) and from the little incomplete stub of road branching off the westbound carriageway it looks as though it was abandoned in a hurry.
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #340
TerryAfrica

Likes (Received): 0

fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolin View Post

"T" stands for toll. "A" stands for alternative to avoid the toll
great photos. fantastic roads these. miss driving them dearly!dubai highways are just blahhh
TerryAfrica no está en línea   Reply With Quote