daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2011, 12:43 AM   #341
martinsa

Likes (Received): 0

Three very brief comments re freeways / bridges / dates:

1. Based on the information on the History of National Roads in SA, the N3 (and now parts of the M13), as the road between Durban and PMB, was expanded and built into a dual-carriageway along the present alignment in many stages. The sections around Pinetown are the oldest (c/f the bridge with the M19 crosses the M31 (Old Main Road). Since it was never designed nor built as a freeway in one sitting, this is perhaps why the Field's Hill section, and some of the sections and offramps/onramps around Kloof, New Germany and Westville were so inadequate for a freeway, and part of the reason the N3 over Paradise Valley was so badly needed.

2. The same source reveals that the oldest freeway bypass is Pietermaritzburg, however followed in very quick succession or even built during the same time as Kroonstad, Port Elizabeth and Mosselbay (bypass of George only extended later). It is interesting that Mooreersburg rather than Malmesbury is given a mention as one of the first towns bypassed, albeit with a one carriageway road, not freeway! (One of the oldest freeways in South Africa is the single carriageway road from Bloemfontein to Springfontein/Colesburg).

3. Bridges and road construction in the old TPA (Transvaal) for National Routes, mainly, typically have a Bxxxx number and the year of the bridge. I have managed to locate as low as B6 - B16 all built in 1971, (if you look at those of the old R22 and R24 to the airport and east rand, there are dates in 1960's and following a different numbering). I am wondering where are B1-B5???
martinsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2011, 12:49 AM   #342
martinsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAfrica View Post
great photos. fantastic roads these. miss driving them dearly!dubai highways are just blahhh
The use of the yellow disk and black T is now the common standard for toll roads in South Africa, dating to about 1990. However the first toll roads (including this section of the N3 were initially signalled by using big text boxes in which was written TOLL ROAD /TOLPAD, alongside the route number). I do not think any examples of this remain for comparison.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM   #343
roofromoz
#pantherpride

Likes (Received): 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
The major changes happened before the 1980s as far as I know, so apartheid cannot be a factor (and I don't see why it should be). Some changes have some obvious logic to them, such as merging the old N9 into the N1 to form a single and better Cape Town-Beit Bridge route, merging the old N7 and N17 into the modern N10 and the old N14 into the N2 (though the latter probably explains why the N2 follows a route from Cape Town to Ermelo that no sensible driver would choose if travelling between those two points).

However, how the modern N7 started out as the N11 isn't obvious. Also, only some of the numbers have been re-used. There is now no N13 or N16 (neither is there an N15 - did it ever exist?) but there is an N18.

Perhaps some more old maps would help.
I have a Southern African Road Atlas from 1969 in my collection (picked it up for 50c at a school fair here in Sydney years ago now!), and for what it's worth, the system is more or less the same than what is shown on that map a few pages back, although the N18 is featured between the N6 and N2.
roofromoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #344
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

If it's possible, would you be able to scan it in and show us? I'm rather interested to see what it was like back then...
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #345
roofromoz
#pantherpride

Likes (Received): 231

The only South African maps as a whole don't have the national routes, but what I have done is scanned one of the maps which shows N18:

roofromoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #346
Ron2K

Well, pretty much nothing has changed with the road layout in that part of the world. The road designated N18 in that map is now part of the R61.
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #347
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15134

Freeways around Gauteng

image hosted on flickr

South Africa - January 20-5 by kayehm, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

South Africa - January 20-4 by kayehm, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Half a Basket Weave. by kayehm, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Round About by kayehm, on Flickr
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Nice SPUI at the first photo
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #349
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15134

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #350
Dynamoe

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
Love the effect!
Dynamoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #351
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Transportwise, SA looks very advanced indeed....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #352
Ron2K

You've obviously never seen Koeberg Interchange before...

(Thankfully, the much-needed improvements to that interchange have been completed, so it's actually driveable now!)
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #353
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 428

That cool traffic circle FYI is at the Cape Town Stadium. The Fan-walk is the pedestrianised area underneath.

At least Koeberg Interchange has been redone in Cape Town; it's been partially reconstructed to bypass the tight, archaic bends of the old interchange to provide easy access from N1 East to M5 South and visa versa:

Bruce Sutherland

Picture I took landing in Durban of the N3 snaking it's way into the city. The interchange is called the EB Cloete (or Spaghetti Junction) with the N2:

And the R300 (Kuils River Parkway) before landing in Cape Town, Stellenberg Interchange with the N1 in foreground:

nick.english.dept liked this post

Last edited by annman; August 26th, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #354
Lydon

Likes (Received): 5632

Thank goodness Koeberg Interchange is all green and landscaped now
Old August 27th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #355
annman
Annman

N1 in the Cape Town northern suburbs (Bellville's CBD in background). McIntyre Rd Interchange in foreground.

nick.english.dept liked this post
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #356
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
Why white and yellow arrows ?
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #357
annman
Annman

White arrows mean you may still select a lane, yellow arrows mean intersection is imminent, your selection is now obligatory.
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #358
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

OK, thank you !
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #359
martinsa

I have an historical question: does anyone remember how the N3 SOUTH/NORTH used to end before the Geldenhuys interchange was completed? Did it stop at Van Buuren Road, or continue to where Main Reef road is.

The reason I ask is that mapbooks reflect an interchange with the N3 and Main Reef Road, which I discover was never built, but I am hoping someone can help.
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #360
Ron2K

Not sure, but since Heidelberg Road has the R103 designation, probably that route.

UPDATE: From reading the Wikipedia article on the N3 Eastern Bypass section of the Outer Ring Road, I'm now a lot more sure of my previous answer. The first section of the Eastern Bypass was constructed in 1971 and ran from the Buccleuch Interchange to an interchange at Main Reef Road. In 1977, the section between Main Reef Road and Black Reef Road in Alberton was constructed (including the Geldenhuys interchange), and the old interchange at Main Reef Road was removed. I'm not sure when the freeway from Heidelburg was constructed, but it would most likely have ended at Black Reef Road if constructed before 1977 (with the main route to Johannesburg then continuing via today's R103 and M31).

Last edited by Ron2K; October 9th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.