daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #81
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuluni
Its more like these kind of signs (see orange signs next to emergency car on the picture below) stacked over a 100 - 200 meter range. So you really have to be under the influence of alcohol to not see them and even after hitting one of these, you would have to drive for a good 100 meters with this sign making so much noice under the car's hood before you get to hit the bus.

If you care to look at the car that is coming from a distance on the picture with the bus, you can probably figure out that the car has already moved off the bus lane precisely because of the danger signs placed on that lane.
Of course it will go right most of the times. But, depending on the speed and the distance you can oversee, you have VERY little time to react. In a Dutch paper today there was an article about people too much using the emergency lane (so not even on one of the driving lanes!), because of the danger standing there. Even with flat tyres.

About those orange pillons (?): I see the first one directly after the bus has already fallen down... It doesn't prevent people suddenly have to switch lane.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #82
Lydon

Likes (Received): 5632

That's not the only one...
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #83
Jeroen669

I'm not blind.
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #84
Lydon

And neither are the drivers on the road
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #85
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Jeroen, could you tell me what would be the best solution given that the coach is completely immobilised?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #86
Jeroen669

Well, at least getting the bus to the left as much as possible (if possible even in the shoulder) before noticing problems. Then sign it (notice this isn't without risks), and get the passengers off the road. Here in Holland the signing with a triangle isn't even compulsory, because of the danger of placing it.
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #87
Lydon

Are you telling me you'd have the passengers climb out and push the bus out of the road? I'm sure the driver got it off the road as much as possible...
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #88
Jeroen669

That's why I said as left as possible.
Old September 24th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #89
kulani

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669;
Of course it will go right most of the times. But, depending on the speed and the distance you can oversee, you have VERY little time to react. In a Dutch paper today there was an article about people too much using the emergency lane (so not even on one of the driving lanes!), because of the danger standing there. Even with flat tyres.

About those orange pillons (?): I see the first one directly after the bus has already fallen down... It doesn't prevent people suddenly have to switch lane.
Just some quick corrections, the sign directly behind the bus is not the orange pillon, it is the normal tri-angular sign you showed in one of your previous posts (the standard ones that come with the emergency gear in most cars, see below).

Now behind that sign, i can count about 3 orange pillons, and i hope i am not blind.

image hosted on flickr
kulani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #90
Lydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
That's why I said as left as possible.
OMG...let me ask you this once more...and slowly. D o n ' t y o u t h i n k t h e d r i v e r i s a s t o t h e l e f t a s h e c o u l d g o?

Gosh...some people...quite unbelievable
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #91
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydz View Post
OMG...let me ask you this once more...and slowly. D o n ' t y o u t h i n k t h e d r i v e r i s a s t o t h e l e f t a s h e c o u l d g o?

Gosh...some people...quite unbelievable
No he is not, there is space for another bus between him ans edge of the road.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #92
kulani

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor;
No he is not, there is space for another bus between him ans edge of the road.
South African drivers are not the best in the world, but if you visit the country you will see that generally safety and courtesy to other drivers comes first with many drivers generally following speed limits, safe following distances and ensuring that they do not endanger the lifes of other road users. I am pretty sure that if it was possible for this driver to move the bus further to the left, he would have done so. He parked it where it is because the bus stalled on him and could not move any further off the road and decided to go through the trouble of installing the orange pillons for a good 100 meters to warn other drivers of the situation ahead of them.

Don't you think that is the most reasonable thing he could have done given the circumstances. If it was possible to move the bus to the left, i am very adamant that he would have done this. I live in South Africa, and i yet have to find a car that can move off the road, but has been left on the road by its driver. Even the most notorious of our drivers (the infamous mini-bus taxi drivers) never leave a car on the road if they can move it off the road.
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #93
Lydon

Exactly...and if a car was to hit the bus it wouldn't come near the passengers considering the fact that they are next to, not behind the bus...
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #94
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 429

I would agree, plus I live in Orlando, Florida now... if you want to see drivers that are downright inept, inconsiderate, rude, never-check their blind spot, can't merge, hog fast lanes, cut accross 3 lanes of traffic, drive with no following distance in the pouring rain, sleep at traffic lights, sit on cell phones at 130km/h, make unannounced u-turns... then come here. I'll take SA traffic anyday over this horrific place!
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #95
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
I would agree, plus I live in Orlando, Florida now... if you want to see drivers that are downright inept, inconsiderate, rude, never-check their blind spot, can't merge, hog fast lanes, cut accross 3 lanes of traffic, drive with no following distance in the pouring rain, sleep at traffic lights, sit on cell phones at 130km/h, make unannounced u-turns... then come here. I'll take SA traffic anyday over this horrific place!
Least in Orlando, all the freeways except I-4 are toll roads.

So in a way, they have to pay extra for the privilege of driving like a dumbass.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #96
kulani

The University of Cape Town, which was my home for 4 years can be seen divided by the M3 highway. I would cross this highway using a pedestrian bridge (the very one the photographer is most likely standing on to take this picture) every single day to go to what we called the Upper Campus. It felt more like climbing the table mountain on a daily basis. It felt like a real journey that would eventually culminate in graduating with a degree.

image hosted on flickr
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #97
kulani

highway advertising, how appropriate that they entice drivers with adverts of sunny sandy beaches that are 300 miles away from here when you are just stuck in traffic.

image hosted on flickr
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #98
kulani

Traffic jam on the N1 highway in Johannesburg, one of the busiest highways

image hosted on flickr
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #99
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Great photos