daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #1
TheGrand

Likes (Received): 17

Manchester Victoria Station

A hidden jewel in Manchester's transport arsenal, if only a bit of money was spent on it, it would mean Manchester having 2 world class Rail gateways, with Piccadilly Being the ultra modern one and Victoria being it's classy Sister.

Its a crying shame whats happened to Victoria, its dark, dingy, is only served by crappy cattle wagons, and has no shops whats so ever.

If only the council and the train companies would step in to clean up the place and give it the attention her achitects envisaged,

Get it sorted, its closer to The City Centre then Piccadilly and would be a even classier station.
TheGrand no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 9th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #2
a_physicist

Likes (Received): 0

Couldn't agree more. Well done for raising it.
a_physicist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #3
dirtyred619
In The Ghetto

Likes (Received): 0

I think most of the building, if not all facing Catherdral Gardens is empty, always thought it would make a nice little hotel.
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #4
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

Completely agree. Ive always felt Victoria feels bigger, grander and an altogether more important feeling station than Piccadilly.

They need to re-roof it as a matter of urgency and develop the interior with the same kind of facilities as Piccadilly. Im surprised the commcerial potential of this station hasn't really been exploited. It has the potential to be a superb gateway to the city.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #5
Munch

I agree... but what is its place in the transport network??? is it needed, or is it best to start considering alternative uses??

I am not familiar with its workings...
Munch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #6
TheGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
I agree... but what is its place in the transport network??? is it needed, or is it best to start considering alternative uses??

I am not familiar with its workings...

It has access to most lines that Piccadilly does, but most if not all of the major services to Manchester go to Piccadilly. Victoria really is the poor relation, but if you see old pictures.....it really is a grand old dame.

Just needs some attention
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:38 AM   #7
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 37

It serves the North of England mainly and is a Major Metrolink stop.

I've gone to meet my Mum at Victoria a couple of times recently and I've got to say its more than a bit shabby, not very welcoming and all together unacceptable for Manchester's 2nd biggest station, it needs a complete revamp costing multi millions, anything less is a joke
rolybling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #8
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 10

I agree. Bags of potential for Victoria. Not just in the cleaning up department but utilising it's current system and bettering it. Once phase 3 goes ahead and everything's built and functioning, I personally reckon it'd be a sound idea to use it as a Metrolink hub and in turn (with new lines obviously, I'm looking 20-30 years ahead) help alleviate some congestion through the city centre. Imagine having 4 or 5 different metrolink lines connected from Victoria. Perfect for the Arena, those living in the North of Manc, those living or working around the Green Quarter and CIS and the future development that'll no doubt flourish by this time.

I'm away with the fairies as per, so I'm living in a cinnamon wonderland right now.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #9
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

So I wonder why nothing has been done with it? I mean how much have they spent on Shudehill Interchange? Quite a lot.

Victoria has such an amazing facade it's totally under utilised, it could be so impressive. I like your idea of using it as a Metro hub..could happen eventually
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:48 AM   #10
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Simple - complete the Vector Tower proposal ét voilá!
Fits in with the city fathers tall proposals around key transport hubs.
Next!

The exterior is quite lovely mind; a fine blend of subtle victoriana.

Paul Sidorczuk liked this post
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #11
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Nice one Northbeach, about time there was some pics of the subject of the thread..hehe
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #12
SleepyOne

Also amazing to think that the MEN Arena was literally built right over the top of the outlying platforms there. I quite like the transition from the long dark through-platforms to the train shed area where the termini are. There is also a really ornate sort of cafe or waiting room with a stained glass roof. The whole place just screams of unfulfilled potential.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #13
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 306

Crackin' thread
This is the big gaping hole in the City Centre. If there is a better site gagging for a tower as a catalyst then I've yet to see it. Victoria Station itself is truely lovely but so unloved.
Northbeach is part right - the Vector proposal was visionary but clearly too much so for its time. The Tower itself could have made it and what a beauty (I'm sure images are on SSC somewhere else), trouble was all the other stuff that went with it such as City Room for big banquets and the like - all fantasy stuff really.
IMHO if there is a weak link in any development, it tends to get found out by the funders and this in turn drags the rest of the proposal down with it - even the sensible bits.
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:15 AM   #14
TheGrand

I dont know if anyone saw it last year, but Portillo was doing a train journeys program from Spain.

He was in this ultra modern station, all glass, airy and light, and he then brought your attention to the fact that the station was neary 100 years old, they mearly just built around it, keeping all the old fascade and building on the inside, looked well weird but spectacular

Think theres a huge car park opp the CIS crying for development, as well as the Metrolink idea, these are two areas for development and investment.

Or just an idea, an extenson to The East Lancs Steam Railway?
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #15
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

When the MEN went up wasnt anything done to the station? How long has it been since anything was done to it.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #16
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 12

They could have put the shudehill interghange behind the facade of Victoria, kept the concourse open, kept the dome buffet and put the structure over the tram tracks, trams on the ground, buses above, cars above them.A sort of building within a building.

Wasted opportunity.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #17
retep68

Likes (Received): 2

Station building looks great from the outside, but is very shabby inside (I was in there the other day). I believe it's owned by Network Rail and is still occupied (sparsely). The rest of the station certainly needs a big re-furb as well. I'm not aware of NR having anything in the pipeline for Victoria though.
retep68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #18
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 135

Yeah it needs a ton of investment but has so much potential. The trains that run out of it arent much better though, the little bus on rails that run to Ashton, Oldham and Rochdale are a disgrace too. They really should make it the hub for travel to the North. Re-route Liverpool - Leeds trains through here and make it the hub for transpennine. Expresses up the WCML to Glasgow and Edinburgh too perhaps. First and foremost though please just fix the roof and do something with that bloody carpark thats cut into it,
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #19
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart
Yeah it needs a ton of investment but has so much potential. The trains that run out of it arent much better though, the little bus on rails that run to Ashton, Oldham and Rochdale are a disgrace too. They really should make it the hub for travel to the North. Re-route Liverpool - Leeds trains through here and make it the hub for transpennine. Expresses up the WCML to Glasgow and Edinburgh too perhaps. First and foremost though please just fix the roof and do something with that bloody carpark thats cut into it,
Liverpool-Newcastle trains used to run through Victoria, proper loco hauled with carriages. Some started in Holyhead. Not long ago either.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #20
LocksRocks
LocksRocks

When the Metrolink lines to Oldham, Rochdale and Ashton are built it will have a lot more Trams than trains. It is a really nice station on the outside but the trains that use it don't have connections with anywhere else. I can't imagine it would have a great future as a heavy rail station.

Sometimes when I used to come back from Uni I had to stay on the train through Victoria and then change trains at Salford Cresent to get back on another train to go back to Piccadilly to go anywhere. I'd sooner see an expansion around Piccadilly, Mayfield or something, you don't want a London type situation were you have to travel across a city to continue a train journey, that makes people use cars.
LocksRocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: