daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1181
TheDukeAbides

Likes (Received): 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonian View Post
I remember leaving from the west end of platform 3 to find a staff member checking tickets, I think he was a random station worker. Luckily I had a valid ticket.
I've been checked their twice I think, one entering and once leaving, not in the past 4 years or so (always have a ticket mind).

How does it work as regards emergency exits though?
TheDukeAbides no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 30th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #1182
Tony_H1
was Local lad

Likes (Received): 1124

They will probably still be open even with the barriers no doubt!

Small progress today. 4 orange bods hacking the jungle that has grown next to the Metro station and Fish dock carpark this morning/afternoon.
Tony_H1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:18 PM   #1183
Tony_H1
was Local lad

Likes (Received): 1124

Slowly but surely the jungle is going down. Soon be time for the real work!
Tony_H1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1184
TheDukeAbides

Just noticed what looks like some electronic 'CBS' advertising screens near the steps on Platform 3, these new?
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #1185
SOMtastic

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
If I understand correctly, the biggest new demand at Victoria in the future will be through services. There was mention in the early Northern Hub documents of West facing bays (I think for services to Atherton) - but Joseph Locke didn't think that wouldn't happen (possibly superseded by tram-train or the bay at Stalybridge). Anyway, I think the general idea of the northern hub scheme is to make as many services go through as possible to increase connectivity throughout the North....
Iíve been pondering this. These are my non-expert observations :

I can see that from a connectivity perspective it makes sense for Vic to be primarily a ďthroughĒ station.
However - it is generally used as if it were a terminus - regardless of whether trains pass though or not. In other words a shit load of people get off in the mornings and get on in the evenings... not much happens in the opposite way.
This is fine for platforms 1 and 2 as you donít have to negotiate any stairs... and this is where my Todmorden trains generally departs from / arrives into.
Occasionally - for no obvious reason - it will go into platform 4 or 5.
This is a real pain in the arse - and the mutterings of displeasure among fellow passengers is evident ! It might only take a few extra minutes to shuffle up the stairs, over the tracks and down again - but it feels like it takes for ever - particularly when you are delayed anyway.
With 1 train disembarking it gets very crowded on the steps. Occasionally 2 trains disembark at the same time, and this in my view is teetering on the dangerous... too many people on the platform trying to get up 1 stair case.. not good... and if you happen to be trying to get ON to the platform to board, you may as well forget it.
Iíve never seen 3 trains - perhaps the controller person prevents this happening - but if it were to happen it would be a death trap.
So - given the presumed goal of running longer trains carrying more passengers - something will need to be done... youíd need to at least double, probably triple stair capacity. But with the arena above itís hard to see how it could be done.
It would almost make more sense to have some sort of draw-bridge at platform level that can be raised for through trains - making it a semi-terminus - but I cant see the HSE going for that.
Or perhaps a subterranean concourse, so you only have to go up or down rather than both at the pinch-point... or you could have more stair cases accessing the platforms from below. No easy solution - but if Vic is to serve more passengers using through platforms - someone needs to think about it. As a regular user of Vic - I see platform access being the limiting capacity factor rather than anything else.
Perhaps itís all in-hand and Iíve just missed it ?? ... or perhaps the intention is to down-grade Vic - capacity wise ? .. but that seems counter to the presumed aim of improving the station, to presumably attract more passengers.
SOMtastic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1186
hulmeman2

Likes (Received): 185

Does anyone know why the tunnel under Victoria was closed? I remember using it, it was very wide and well lit, surely re-opening it would be the wise thing to do. There's even room down there for coffee/hotdog kiosk installations, it seems an opportunity missed, and would allow easy segregation of Arena bound traffic.

Edit: Images here, courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/patric_roft/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

GShutty, Phreud liked this post

Last edited by hulmeman2; February 6th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
hulmeman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #1187
VDB

Likes (Received): 1936

Mmmm that's lovely and dingy = transport beauty
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #1188
Vince Noir
Camden Leisure Pirate

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulmeman2 View Post
Does anyone know why the tunnel under Victoria was closed? I remember using it, it was very wide and well lit, surely re-opening it would be the wise thing to do. There's even room down there for coffee/hotdog kiosk installations, it seems an opportunity missed, and would allow easy segregation of Arena bound traffic.
Platforms 4,5 and 6 aren't in the same locations as the old through platforms, so there's a problem straight away. You'd need completely new access down to the subway. It's interesting that in a number of places, previously closed subways are being reinstated to cope with passenger demand and/or comply with Disability legislation. Oxford Rd and the disused parcels subway is a good example.

hulmeman2 liked this post
Vince Noir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1189
M60lad

Likes (Received): 22

Whereabouts is the access to the disused parcels subway at Oxford Road Station out of interest and how long is it going to take to be opened up again
M60lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1190
mode1
fast fashion

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeAbides
Just noticed what looks like some electronic 'CBS' advertising screens near the steps on Platform 3, these new?
Those have been there for a few years not lit for a while.
mode1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1191
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
There's even room down there for coffee/hotdog kiosk installations, it seems an opportunity missed, and would allow easy segregation of Arena bound traffic.
I second that emotion. If they donít do something with that then the planners either donít know it exists, or they are ignorant and incompetent spivs.
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1192
LongRipple

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Does anyone know why the tunnel under Victoria was closed?
I would speculate, paranoia over potential IRA targets may have played a part. It also led to the removal of most of the metal litter bins in town- something they've never replaced with great enthusiasm.

Subways in general aren't really de rigueur when it comes to town planning these days because of the anti-social nature of them.
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1193
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:

Edit: Images here, courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/patric_roft/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Woof. Those images to me epitomise the deep sadness in Manchester. Wonderful enigmatic imagery all there but for one missing item - people. Such a sad place.
Imagine exactly the same physical infrastructure in London and then imagine the vast throng of human diversity using it.
It's the rich diversity of buzzing productive humanity that makes an urban place; not sterile under-utilised former glory.
Sighs....I'm thinking this town doesn't inspire me anymore. Time to move on. Probably.
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1194
VDB

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin Up View Post
Woof. Those images to me epitomise the deep sadness in Manchester. Wonderful enigmatic imagery all there but for one missing item - people. Such a sad place.
Imagine exactly the same physical infrastructure in London and then imagine the vast throng of human diversity using it.
It's the rich diversity of buzzing productive humanity that makes an urban place; not sterile under-utilised former glory.
Sighs....I'm thinking this town doesn't inspire me anymore. Time to move on. Probably.
Well, it seems a little 'lonely' probably because it's blocked off for public use?

I get what you mean though
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1195
TheDukeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by mode1 View Post
Those have been there for a few years not lit for a while.
I don't dispute they have been there, but I go up and down the stairs every day and only noticed this yesterday because of its proximity to the stairs.

Anway, taken this evening, lit up and advertising now

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #1196
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeAbides View Post
I don't dispute they have been there, but I go up and down the stairs every day and only noticed this yesterday because of its proximity to the stairs.

Anway, taken this evening, lit up and advertising now

did anyone else get a what i call adult site come up when they clicked on the picture?
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #1197
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 622

Eek yes!
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #1198
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin Up View Post

Yeah Manchester's dead these days isn't it...

monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1199
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_rat View Post
Yeah Manchester's dead these days isn't it...

please tell me your being sarcastic?
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #1200
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
please tell me your being sarcastic?
I was.
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: