daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 28th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #121
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 37

Sounds good to me, at the very least it needs to be brought up to scratch with other modern stations.

Sponsored Links

Old April 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #122
Jongeman
van het noorden

It would benefit from seeing the completion the city room, new roof, office tower and all that stuff proposed before the Olympic bid. They only did half a job on it.

Longfjord and Rolls - you two both remember Victoria when it had the underpass thing to the platforms. It's a damn sight better than it was back then......it's not unpleasant now really.
Jongeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #123
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

I actually prefered the underpass to the stairs - mainly cos i'm a fat lazy bastard but there was a certain gritty 'romance' to that underpass (all you Brief Encounter fans out there will know what i mean) and it also reminds me of the pre MEN Arena days when i lived in Eccles and didnt have a care in the world.
I'm sure Victoria station was a lot busier in those days but then again Wagon Wheels seem a lot smaller nowadays aswell!
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #124
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

and curly wurly's, the king of chocolate treats
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #125
Jongeman
van het noorden

No, wagon wheels are smaller. It's criminal.
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #126
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

I think our hands just got bigger
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #127
Jongeman
van het noorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
there was a certain gritty 'romance' to that underpass
Now that really is extending the boundaries of poetic licence Longy....the romance of Manchester Victoria circa 1982....lol

Sure our hands got bigger Roly, I'm pretty sure my gob did too.
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #128
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

My hair was definitely bigger in the 80's!
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #129
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 12

Victoria had 17 platforms in the underpass era. We used to get the train from Werneth to Victoria, platform one in the stub end then walk to platform 15 for the Southport train, one Wednesday, every summer, aunties, uncles, cousins, grandparents, the lot.

Victoria is now too small to expand, there are only 4 through tracks and the stub end platforms are too short for anything more than a local train.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #130
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 814

Knock down the Arena then. No one wants to see Take That anyway?

I really can't imagine Victoria being 17 platforms big. Where did they all fit in? If anyone has a schematic (and is brave enough to admit to it) scan it up and show me.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #131
TheGrand

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell
Victoria had 17 platforms in the underpass era. We used to get the train from Werneth to Victoria, platform one in the stub end then walk to platform 15 for the Southport train, one Wednesday, every summer, aunties, uncles, cousins, grandparents, the lot.

Victoria is now too small to expand, there are only 4 through tracks and the stub end platforms are too short for anything more than a local train.
Its just a simple case of rejigging things about, theres no reason why the met cant be moved to the right onto the car park next door, I think theres room for 4 platforms there, instead of the present two, think this would ease any potential overcrowding problems on the Met network in future too.

This moving of Met traffic would free up space for a further 4 platforms in the station ontop of the 6 that already exist. Making 6 terminal platforms in the direction of yorkshire, and 4 through platforms on the Arena end for services to Lancashire and Merseydive.

I also believe that Victoria, and Salford Central for that matter, would benefit heavily from the completion of the track at Castlefield, to give both stations access to the South Manchester electrafied services. This would improve Chapel Street's fortunes, it would also enhance the investment potential of areas like Spinningfields, Green Quater and Greengate, not to mention improving access to the Arena.

Its has the potential to be a beautiful place, and a great welcoming face for travellers to Manchester, Victoria needs to be utilised more.
TheGrand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #132
Isaac Newell

Terminal platforms stop trains from going elsewhere, they have to turn back and restrict operating patterns. I cannot see more terminal platforms being built. There is a lot of prime building space on the terminal side of the station.

The transport system must be allowed to evolve and I cannot see Victoria ever being more than an inner city stop, convenient for the Arndale etc.

A Castlefield curve will allow trains to stop at all innercity stations and then carry on out of the city. A train could depart Stalybridge, stop at Guide Bridge, Fairfield, Piccadilly, Oxford Road, Deansgate, Salford Central, Victoria, Ashton and finish at Stalybridge.

However I still think that building some platforms south of the MSJA junction at Piccadilly would be a better option for the Manchester rail system.
Old April 29th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #133
Isaac Newell

You could also use Mayfield station but a connecting bridge would need to be built to the MSJA viaduct to make it a through station.

My own preference would be to sell Piccadilly and build a through station with a lot of platforms next to Mayfield.

That would free up some good building land and push central Manchester further out.
Old April 29th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #134
TheGrand

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell
Terminal platforms stop trains from going elsewhere, they have to turn back and restrict operating patterns. I cannot see more terminal platforms being built. There is a lot of prime building space on the terminal side of the station.

The transport system must be allowed to evolve and I cannot see Victoria ever being more than an inner city stop, convenient for the Arndale etc.

A Castlefield curve will allow trains to stop at all innercity stations and then carry on out of the city. A train could depart Stalybridge, stop at Guide Bridge, Fairfield, Piccadilly, Oxford Road, Deansgate, Salford Central, Victoria, Ashton and finish at Stalybridge.

However I still think that building some platforms south of the MSJA junction at Piccadilly would be a better option for the Manchester rail system.
If Manchester is a beacon for the north, a tourist destination and a place to be, it needs more then one terminus. Train journeys have to finish somewhere, and why cant they finish in one of our oldest and potentially prettiest train stations. Victoria should be our link to yorkshire and the North East and Vise-Versa, no doubt about it.

I totally agree about utilising Mayfield, maybe releaving pressure on Piccadilly's 13 and 14, which in my opinion should only be used for Virgin trains and Airport services (meaning both have the freedom to be increased in frequency). As well as this, Mayfield can also free up Piccadilly's terminus platforms for more national services, which at present are being taken up for trains to Glossop, New Mills Central and the like.

If there are more platform spaces in our stations, this will ensure a greater potential for the number and frequency of services locally and nationally, surely a good thing.
TheGrand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #135
Isaac Newell

Manchester only needs one big station, many huge cities have only one main terminal, it's easier for passengers to change trains.

I would like to see something like this, south of the junction at 13/14.

Kyoto station.
Old April 29th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #136
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

There could be some regional politics going on here.
Is it a coincedence that the station that greets passengers from London and the affluent south has had heavy investment, where as the scummy northerners coming in to Victoria dont 'deserve' the same investment?
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #137
Isaac Newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
There could be some regional politics going on here.
Is it a coincedence that the station that greets passengers from London and the affluent south has had heavy investment, where as the scummy northerners coming in to Victoria dont 'deserve' the same investment?
If there was only one station, then that wouldn't be the case.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM   #138
MancDave

Likes (Received): 0

My ideas for victoria station.....

1st build vector tower but push it to over 200m mark
2nd demoilish the arena complex and build it across the road on boddingtons but bigger say about 25000 seat? Also add a ice rink or two on the side and mabbe a tower of 30 to 40 storeys.
3rd open up the station where the arena was get some light into it!! Build some more office and homes but not over the station it self.
MancDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM   #139
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 131

I dont think we'll be seeing the arena going anywhere soon its probably one of the most successful in Europe.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:49 PM   #140
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 131

Personally Id like to see the roof repared and thecarpark moved. Maybe sorting out the metrolink station. Then Id turn the whole jobby into a covent garden type covered arcade with shops and markets. Make the whole area a lot more bohemian and encourage visitors into the station who arent just getting trains.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: