daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:20 PM   #2061
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 896

A4177
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2062
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Right. He was announcing it as the location of a top-secret test track....
And I think it was in the same episode that we were shown James May's actual Ferrari (at least so they said), complete with unpixellated number plate. (rolleyes)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #2063
jdjones

Likes (Received): 2769

Right here's my two pence worth, I've tried to read the whole thread from the begining, but got to page 75 and thought 'sod it'!

I Live in Gloucestershire, so we only have the M5, but I travel to Bath, Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, London and Scotland very often, so have experienced many roads.

1. My number one gripe, although a motorway isn't needed, but why isn't there a duel carriageway to Bath? Bath is a bottle neck and has many people travelling through due to no bypass. If you want to get to Bath from the M4 from London, you have to travel along a congested A46, a 1x1 road for about 10 miles, limited for the most at 50 mph. Coming from the west, as I do, is slightly better, going M5-M4-M32(momentarily)-Bristol ring road, however after the ring road and Keynsham bypass is another 1x1 bottleneck of a road, the A4 at Saltford. As mentioned previously, the location of Bath and poor transport links in the south west, means so much through traffic which slows everybody down.

2. Travelling to Scotland is a dream for the most part, M5-M6-M74 then either M8 of A702 to Edinburgh. However the one major annoyance is the M5 in Birmingham and the junction with the M6. The M5 in Birmingham is unbearably bendy, with corners that would make Silverstone blush, then trying to join the M6 is awful. The Western Orbital is so desperately needed here, to relieve some of the traffic at the M5-M6 junction, and to help those of us to just travel through heading north. Also nationalise the M6 toll or at least drop the toll, to further ease congestion.

3. Travelling to Cardiff is relatively harmless, apart from the M4 at Newport, bottlenecking at the Bryn Glas Tunnels, I cannot believe the new M4 was scrapped, how short sighted was that! Also the Severn Bridge tolls have paid for both bridges 3 times over by now, it is ridiculous we still have to pay £5.60 just to cross, but they are ending in 2018, so not much longer to wait. Living near Gloucester means we can bypass the tolls by either going M5-M50-A40-A449-M4 which is motorway/dual carriageway all the way, or head down the 1x1 A48, and then come back over the bridge (the tolls are only collected one way!)

4. The drive to London is one of the most pleasant: A417-A419-M4 so quick and easy, especially since all the junction along the A419 around Swindon have now bee changed to grade separation and the Blunsdon bypass, with it's short southbound 3 lanes, makes me so bloody happy! The biggest problem along this route is the Birdlip interchange on the A417 which is an embarrassment! Coming back from London a fast 2x2 dual carriageway ends abruptly on a roundabout and is forced onto a 1x1 road for 3 miles and then at the next roundabout have to come almost 360 deg back on yourself and get back onto a 2x2 dual carriageway. There were plans for tunnels to link both dual carriageways due to the fact of being on a hill, but these were scrapped for road widening which doesn't answer the problem of the roundabout where you have to come back on yourself here

In summary I want:

New M4
Western Orbital
Improved Birdlip Hill
A Bypass and suitable dual carriageway access to Bath

Not asking for much eh!?
jdjones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #2064
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjones View Post
As mentioned previously, the location of Bath and poor transport links in the south west, means so much through traffic which slows everybody down.
I'm sure there have been plans in the past for dualling the A46 from the M4 to Bath (the one time I went there, part was closed for roadworks - we didn't spot the small signs and come off at J17 instead, and then had to take the A420 and A4 route via Chippenham as a diversion, having come off at J18 - the A46 is nice compared to that!)
Quote:
The M5 in Birmingham is unbearably bendy, with corners that would make Silverstone blush
It's not that bad, though the warning signs and that make it seem worse than it is - with you on the M6 merge though and the need for the Western Orbital though.
Quote:
Also the Severn Bridge tolls have paid for both bridges 3 times over by now, it is ridiculous we still have to pay £5.60 just to cross,
only one-way
Quote:
Living near Gloucester means we can bypass the tolls by either going M5-M50-A40-A449-M4 which is motorway/dual carriageway all the way, or head down the 1x1 A48
Why bother heading up the M5 to get to the M50 - why not just cut across on the A40, or the more-popular B roads through Newent to junction 3? That would be your quickest route
Quote:
The biggest problem along this route is the Birdlip interchange on the A417 which is an embarrassment!
The Air Balloon roundabout is not really a problem. Sure it's a gap on a high quality route, but it's not a big hold up at all.

Also, the A40 is rather good (bypassing Cheltenham via Birdlip Hill, of course), unless you hit Oxford at rush hour, when it gets a bit clogged. Depends on where you are going at the far end - for Heathrow, South London, Kent, etc, the M4 is the route you want, for Central London, North/East London, Essex, etc, the A40 will be a quicker. Of course, if you drive M5-M50 to go Gloucester to Ross, you probably haven't noticed this route.

IIRC, traffic flows arriving at the Air Balloon from Gloucester are pretty even between the A417 and A436 (which links to the A40). Road widening is the best option as it improves the 'Chelmsford bypass' route as well, though the roundabout will remain, but isn't much of a problem anyway.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #2065
jdjones

Likes (Received): 2769

There's only one thing I hate more than someone who dissects posts like a fanatic, it's someone who dissects posts to the extent they take the comments out of context.
jdjones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #2066
DanielFigFoz

Do you hate people who provide better comments than you too? When it was done to me, I at least didn't say anything . I'm not saying you're wrong though, and I still believe what I said.
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #2067
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjones View Post
There's only one thing I hate more than someone who dissects posts like a fanatic it's someone who dissects posts to the extent they take the comments out of context.
1)Why make a post with 4 numbered points if you don't want each point dealt with separately?
2)Explain where I've taken any of your comments out of context, please.
3)If there's anything I don't like is that people who post something and then just ignore replies other than to make ad hominem remarks because the person replying didn't submit to their unstated OCD requests or agree totally with their views.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM   #2068
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7515

Old February 5th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #2069
PortoNuts

Quote:
Five Welsh roads among most dangerous in Britain

Five roads in Wales have been listed among the most dangerous in Britain. The routes have been listed as among the 25 roads in the UK which had seen the most deaths and serious injuries for every journey on them.

All of Britain’s motorways and A-roads over a two-year period were studied by the Road Safety Foundation and the European Road Assessment Programme (EuroRAP). The most dangerous was the A4075 between Carew and Canaston Bridge, Pembrokshire which saw eight fatal accidents.

The A496 Blaenau Ffestinog junction with the A487 saw six accidents, while the A481 Llanelwedd junction with the A44 and the A4159 through Capel Dewi into Ceredigion saw three fatal accidents each.

The A4069 in Llangadog - Llandovery Road - in Carmarthenshire saw two accidents.A spokesman said that Wales’ roads were relatively safer than those in most of the UK.

He said: “Wales accounts for 10% of the total network length surveyed and 7% of all fatal crashes. On average risk rate across the network, Wales lies in seventh place of the 10 British regions. Some 81% is single carriageway.The substantial investment in the Welsh motorway and trunk road network over several recent decades, including the M4 and A55, is evident with low collision rates.”

He added that 10% of Britain’s motorways and A roads have unacceptably high risk. "Significant loss of life can be stopped by measures as simple as getting road markings right on major A routes,” he said.

Each road looked at in the study has one of five ratings, with green representing the safest roads and black representing the roads with the highest risk. During the survey period, the risk of a fatal or serious injury collision on the black roads was more than 10 times that of the safest green roads.

The majority of Wales’ A roads are classed in the orange “medium risk” category. Overall, 9% of the Welsh road network falls in the higher risk (black and red) categories. The report is the largest analysis of its type anywhere in the world, covering 28,000 miles.Following publication of the report, motoring group the AA warned that people are dying needlessly on roads because of a lack of basic safety features.

“People should not be dying on these major roads because basic safety measures are absent from entirely predictable collisions,” said spokesman Andrew Howard.

He said rural areas like Wales have huge road expanses without populations to support them. “These roads often rely on grants from central government and money doesn’t get spent as readily on maintenance and crash protection.”

Pembrokeshire council said it had undertaken infrastructure improvements costing almost £100,000 on the A4075 since the research was carried out. “Between January 1, 2006, and December 31, 2008, there were two fatal and six serious accidents on this stretch of road. Over this period the authority spent £98,742 on this route.

“The council has been monitoring accident data and over the 18-month period between January 2009 to May 2010 there were only three slight accidents and two serious personal injury collisions. The latter two serious accidents should be compared to the eight fatal or serious accidents in the 36-month period from 2006 to 2008 – the serious accident rate has thus been halved.

“It is too early to be conclusive but the accident rate does appear to have significantly dropped since 2008.”

But Amy Aeron-Thomas of RoadPeace – set up in 1992 in response to the increasing need for a national organisation to represent and support road traffic victims – said the issue needed to be put into perspective.

“Roads do not kill. It is the people that drive on them,” she said.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...1466-27970847/
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #2070
piotr71

Do you mind if I post some pictures of A40 and A34 which are not motorways actually? Moreover, pics had been taken during not perfectly good weather conditions, so the quality may be taken as just about satisfactory rather than outstanding.
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #2071
piotr71

Well, I understand you don't mind
The map, then:

I was surprised how clear and quiet A40 was.

Many lay-by's on A roads are occupied by hot and cold drinks sellers. You can eat there as well if you don't have any better choice. I drunk coffee once in such place and would not recommend it to my friend.

I really love driving on this kind utterly empty single carriageways.

The sign on right hand side hardly can be seen, anyway it says that we are crossing Oxfordshire borderline.

Last edited by piotr71; February 5th, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #2072
piotr71

Short stretch of dual garriageway. Just about 5 miles, maybe less.

It represents realy good standard.

Last edited by piotr71; February 5th, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #2073
piotr71

The road traffic is growing up a little here....

...not for long though.

Oxford.

We will be turning left into A34.

Approaching A34.
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #2074
piotr71

A34

Old February 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #2075
piotr71

That's it. Thank you for watching.
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2076
DanielFigFoz

Don't worry, you know that non-motorways are discussed here as well. I don't really get why most threads here have "motorways" instead of roads, but oh well .

Thanks for the photos, I found the A40 surprisingly narrow, but I guess the A40 that I know is a 3 lane road with a 70mph speed limit.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; February 5th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #2077
Ryan.

Likes (Received): 131

First Post

Heres a timelapse video I made a few days ago after a trip to Newcastle Upon Tyne from where I live about 20 miles away. Takes about 30 minutes normally up the A19, I decided to take the tyne tunnel route there and the tyne bridge back to make it abit more interesting. enjoy!

Last edited by Ryan.; February 7th, 2011 at 01:25 AM.
Ryan. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #2078
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

I can't see it. Pay attention using music as background, as videos may result blocked in some nations...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #2079
Ryan.

Likes (Received): 131

Apologies for those who couldn't see the video, I've removed the audio and uploaded it again to youtube so hopefully everyone can view it now
Ryan. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #2080
PortoNuts

Cool video, I really like motorway timelapses.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom