daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #2101
piotr71

There is not too many services alongside M25, as far as I remember only 3 pairs.

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #2102
piotr71

Older style sign.

Motorway ends up here. On the bottom of the picture you can see motorways ends sign. Unfortunately my photographer did not pay a particular attention to it.
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #2103
piotr71

Crossing prices:

Entering the tunnel.

Leaaving the tunnel.

Welcome to Essex. If you are a foreigner and want to check your spoken English skills find an Essex born man and try to speak to him. If you got what he says your spoken English is highly proficient.

Junction 31 Thurrock services - this is where we finish.

Thank you for watching.

brewerfan386 liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #2104
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Thank you.
That's brilliant!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #2105
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7514

Such good updates, as usual, piotr.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #2106
PortoNuts

Old March 6th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #2107
PortoNuts

Old March 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #2108
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post

The major complaint in the UK is that we do not have enough motorways. (A French/German style network would be preferable in certain regions, I agree.) However, I maintain that those that we do have are, on the whole, of excellent quality.
The only additional motorway I can think of would be another cross country route, and maybe a completed ring around the western side of Birmingham, but after that I'm out of ideas...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #2109
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
The only additional motorway I can think of would be another cross country route, and maybe a completed ring around the western side of Birmingham, but after that I'm out of ideas...
What about the south coastal motorway?
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #2110
PortoNuts

Old March 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2111
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
There are lots of places! :-) If I ever had some free time, I could create a map where the UK could greatly use some. One that pops in my mind right away, is that proposal that pops up now and then, I think it is a new orbital type road(in a C shape) starts in/around Ipswich goes over to Reading and down to Portsmouth. Someone correct me on the details. This would take a lot of traffic off the M25.

Also, we've talked about this on this forum before The UK needs to define a new type of road, by taking the primary dual carriagesways out of the A road numbering scheme and placing them in their own category as A roads are simply too broad a category.. much TOO BROAD. That way, in addition to the separate color(usually blue) that motorways are on maps, these primary dual carriageways would have their own color. That would go a long way to showing people that indeed, the UK has a large motorway network or close to it. Anyway, no sense beating a dead horse.

Last edited by JeremyCastle; March 8th, 2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Spelling, always spelling! :-)
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #2112
JeremyCastle

As I was driving around Nottinghamshire last night, doing my little part time job of cleaning ATM's (cash machines), I thought of something. In other European countries(and I mean that in a purely geographic sense), petrol stations when they are closed for the night, still allow people to get petrol by allowing them to use their debit/credit card at the pump.

First, here in the UK, I've noticed that most petrol stations don't even allow people to use a debit/credit card, regardless if the station is open or closed. I rejoice every time I get to one that lets me, as it allows me to avoid the pointless queue inside.

Second, and as a possible consequence of the above, people who want to get petrol at night, are pretty much stuck going to a expensive motorway petrol station. Could this be due to quirky laws that don't allow people to get petrol on their own at night unlike other European countries. I know that this country seems a bit crazy when it comes to health and safety. Could this be another regulation that perhaps think people aren't capable enough to handle a petrol station by themselves in the middle of the night? Maybe there are stations that allow people to do this and I've just never seen them then?
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #2113
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

There is something like that in continental Europe and it's roughly called expressway. There are different names for it like Autovia in Spain or Schnellstrasse in Austria. Not yet a motorway but better than a normal A road dual carriageway. It is grade separated and quite close to motorway standard
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #2114
sc4

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
As I was driving around Nottinghamshire last night, doing my little part time job of cleaning ATM's (cash machines), I thought of something. In other European countries(and I mean that in a purely geographic sense), petrol stations when they are closed for the night, still allow people to get petrol by allowing them to use their debit/credit card at the pump.

First, here in the UK, I've noticed that most petrol stations don't even allow people to use a debit/credit card, regardless if the station is open or closed. I rejoice every time I get to one that lets me, as it allows me to avoid the pointless queue inside.

Second, and as a possible consequence of the above, people who want to get petrol at night, are pretty much stuck going to a expensive motorway petrol station. Could this be due to quirky laws that don't allow people to get petrol on their own at night unlike other European countries. I know that this country seems a bit crazy when it comes to health and safety. Could this be another regulation that perhaps think people aren't capable enough to handle a petrol station by themselves in the middle of the night? Maybe there are stations that allow people to do this and I've just never seen them then?
Wow that's just crazy....no card transaction for petrol?? N u r talking about the UK rite? That's unthinkable of in my part of the world (Malaysia). I would have thot it would be common sense or by default that card transaction is allowed for petrol purchase...
sc4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #2115
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4 View Post
Wow that's just crazy....no card transaction for petrol?? N u r talking about the UK rite? That's unthinkable of in my part of the world (Malaysia). I would have thot it would be common sense or by default that card transaction is allowed for petrol purchase...
I can only speak from personal experience, but most places I get petrol at(and that's quite a few as I drive around all over) don't seem to have them.

Some places do, like I think most Shell stations, and some Supermarket petrol stations. Biut that again it's hit and miss. The Sainsbury's supermarket I live next to used to, but then they "modernized" and took them out! A Tesco petrol station with a small Tesco express that open 2 or 3 years ago doesn't have one, but the new Tesco big store with a petrol station that opened opened just a couple months ago does, so it really is hit and miss, leaning more towards miss. However, even places that do have card readers, usually close at 10pm(22 or midnight, and then they don't even let you stop and get petrol. When it's closed, it's closed! Again, this is different than other European countries I've driven in, see above for my last post as to maybe why that is?

Last edited by JeremyCastle; March 8th, 2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Spelling as usual.
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #2116
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

I imagine there are rules about some person having to be present for fuel to be sold, even if they are not doing it yourself. In some states in America it is illegal to pump your own fuel, you need an attendant. Apparently they keep those rules to keep them employed, even though anyone is expected to anywhere else in the world.

I did have a problem in Belgium once that they didn't take foreign cards so I couldn't use it, and this was the middle of the day so I guess the station was usually empty.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #2117
sc4

Likes (Received): 88

Over here in Malaysia, we do have some 24-hrs Shell petrol stations, 24 hrs petrol stations are quite the norm here in big cities. We pump our own petrol, so everything is self-served, from card transaction to pumping to receipt. Heck we even wash our own car windows sometimes when there's no attendants around...LOL. I would say its pretty convenient having online transaction done at the petrol pumps, and we also have the other alternative of manual cash payment at the main counter inside the petrol service shop...
sc4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2118
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 896

I think that its the same in Portugal as in the UK.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #2119
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
There is something like that in continental Europe and it's roughly called expressway. There are different names for it like Autovia in Spain or Schnellstrasse in Austria. Not yet a motorway but better than a normal A road dual carriageway. It is grade separated and quite close to motorway standard
The A50 is pretty much like that

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2120
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Thank you.
That's brilliant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Such good updates, as usual, piotr.
I thank you

This I am going to present A31 the road connecting Winchester with Guildford.

Approaching A31 from M3.

End of dual carriageway.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom