daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #2141
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7512

Beautiful scenery, careful on those turns.

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #2142
PortoNuts

Old March 30th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #2143
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20303

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle
I am curious about UK car insurance. In The States, it is the car that is insured, not the person driving it. So, friends and family can usually borrow each others car, as long as they have the car owner's permission and a valid licence.

It seems to be different here in the UK. I keep reading how the person borrowing the car needs to have insurance themselves, regardless if they own their own car, and also, the person borrowing the car needs to have comprehensive insurance.

I've Googled and Googled, and have been unable to find out much info about this. As I am using a company from the US that covers me in the UK(driving my UK car), anyone, as long as they're licenced, can borrow my car; so this is not much of an issue for me. Is this not the case if I had UK car insurance for my car?

If this is indeed the case, then US car insurance seems a bit more flexible and slightly more "friendly".
So in the US if a 50 year old woman with perfect driving record insures her Lexus for presumably a pretty low premium she can give it to a 16 year old boy to drive and he will be comprehensively insured at no extra cost?
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #2144
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
In the UK its the person that is insured for a particular car.

People can borrow the car, but the insurance will only be 3rd Party insurance, thus although it can be driven, the insurance company only covers theft and fire, as far as I know, but as the car isn't insured to the driver, and you can't really prove if it was taken with authorisation or not it might be a bit troublesome and not such a good idea.

Indeed, the US insurance does sound more friendly, and would be very very handy for my family.
What I wondered about the UK in terms of insurance, is why people put up with the quite high insurance costs when they're young, how can the companies not make MASSIVE profits with the prices they charge.

I'm a 19 year old guy with no NCB and I insure ( not my parents, cars are on my name and I'm the main driver) a 1997 Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 v6 for 390€ per year and a 1996 Volvo V40 2.0 for 360€ per year ( and it wasn't that much more when I was 18, 580 per year then), 3rd party only but if I wanted to insure my cars in the UK I'd pay 3-4x as much, if not more.

And yeah the insurance is on the car with the main driver paying for it ( and the quote is being made on the main driver). Any one of my mates can always drive my car without me needing to pay extra for special insurance or them being named drivers. afaik only the UK and Ireland have a ''named driver'' system in Europe.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #2145
Jonesy55
Mooderator

dp

Last edited by Jonesy55; March 30th, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #2146
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Well young inexperienced drivers especially men are responsible for a hugely disproportionate number of serious motor accidents so that's why they pay much higher premiums.

The insurance companies probably don't make massive profits from that segment of the market, in fact some try to avoid young drivers altogether despite the high premiums.

A serious accident that leaves a third party permanently disabled can cost the insurer several million pounds by the time they have paid for nursing and care packages for the rest of the victim's life, loss of earnings compensation for a whole career etc, paying for a new car is a very minor part of the costs involved.
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #2147
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Well young inexperienced drivers especially men are responsible for a hugely disproportionate number of serious motor accidents so that's why they pay much higher premiums.

The insurance companies probably don't make massive profits from that segment of the market, in fact some try to avoid young drivers altogether despite the high premiums.

A serious accident that leaves a third party permanently disabled can cost the insurer several million pounds by the time they have paid for nursing and care packages for the rest of the victim's life, loss of earnings compensation for a whole career etc, paying for a new car is a very minor part of the costs involved.
So, erm, what is different about that there than here ?

Afaik you can't even insure a 2.5 v6 for such a low price at 25 with 7 years NCB in the UK, let alone at 19 like me...

I must admit, I get 50% off from my employer for my cars insurance, BUT, even then I'd pay around 1k-1.25k for my first year of insurance, there is no way in hell an 18 year old can insure a 6 cyl car as cheap as me in the UK, but anywhere else in Europe ( or well, I'm not sure about the rest tbh, but In the NL and Poland anyhow) there is no prob, sure it's more expensive than a fiesta or saxo, but easily affordable. A Saxo VTS for example would only be 26 euros per month for me to insure. While in the UK, because of the boy racer image, an 18 year old would have to pay 3k per year probably.

An yeah, about half of the young drivers crash in the first year, but there's also a half that doesn't, I'm in that half, even though I drive more than average privately ( >30k per year) and I'm a driver for work too I haven't even touched anything with my car. Why should people like me pay for the damages of some moron who ploughs his car into someone else ? I'm far from a neat driver, I'm a boy racer too I guess and I love to drive fats, but the point is I haven't made any accidents. I would have to drive a crap car in the UK with no power at all, but here, my first car had 140 bhp, now I have 163, and soon I'm buying a new car again with well over 200 bhp, I feel I'm lucky I don't like in the UK in that view, the cars there are cheap as hell, but insurance is a rip off and I don't believe they don't make a massive profit.

Last edited by snowdog; March 30th, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #2148
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Very few 17 year olds would be able to afford to insure your cars in the UK
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 12:04 AM   #2149
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog

So, erm, what is different about that there than here ?

Afaik you can't even insure a 2.5 v6 for such a low price at 25 with 7 years NCB in the UK, let alone at 19 like me...

I must admit, I get 50% off from my employer for my cars insurance, BUT, even then I'd pay around 1k-1.25k for my first year of insurance, there is no way in hell an 18 year old can insure a 6 cyl car as cheap as me in the UK, but anywhere else in Europe ( or well, I'm not sure about the rest tbh, but In the NL and Poland anyhow) there is no prob, sure it's more expensive than a fiesta or saxo, but easily affordable. A Saxo VTS for example would only be 26 euros per month for me to insure. While in the UK, because of the boy racer image, an 18 year old would have to pay 3k per year probably.

An yeah, about half of the young drivers crash in the first year, but there's also a half that doesn't, I'm in that half, even though I drive more than average privately ( >30k per year) and I'm a driver for work too I haven't even touched anything with my car. Why should people like me pay for the damages of some moron who ploughs his car into someone else ? I'm far from a neat driver, I'm a boy racer too I guess and I love to drive fats, but the point is I haven't made any accidents. I would have to drive a crap car in the UK with no power at all, but here, my first car had 140 bhp, now I have 163, and soon I'm buying a new car again with well over 200 bhp, I feel I'm lucky I don't like in the UK in that view, the cars there are cheap as hell, but insurance is a rip off and I don't believe they don't make a massive profit.
Maybe compensation payments are lower in other countries I don't know. But forcing inexperienced young drivers to drive 10 year old Nissan Micras rather than 5l V10 supercars is probably not a bad thing for society as a whole!

We do have one of the lowest rates of road deaths in Europe, maybe if young people could get insured cheaply for 250bhp cars that wouldn't be the case

It's not the end of the world to drive a small car for a few years until you get more experience and learn to manage testosterone better, I drove my mother's 1.0l Austin Metro for a few years after passing my test, it's no problem.
Old March 31st, 2011, 12:46 AM   #2150
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

The thought of some or most of my colleges and friends, even getting near the drivers seat makes me fear for society
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:28 AM   #2151
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Maybe compensation payments are lower in other countries I don't know. But forcing inexperienced young drivers to drive 10 year old Nissan Micras rather than 5l V10 supercars is probably not a bad thing for society as a whole!

We do have one of the lowest rates of road deaths in Europe, maybe if young people could get insured cheaply for 250bhp cars that wouldn't be the case

It's not the end of the world to drive a small car for a few years until you get more experience and learn to manage testosterone better, I drove my mother's 1.0l Austin Metro for a few years after passing my test, it's no problem.
Don't you think it's unfair though ? I can see your point but in my view it's authoritarian BS and discrimination of age... I guess I'm a liberal conservative junkie and the UK doesn't know of such a political way but I think it's very unfair for young drivers not to be able to drive decent(ish) cars rather than shopping carts...

I have to drive 2.0 tdi diesels for work, and they feel really **** slow compared to my own cars, I would hate to have that as my own car.
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM   #2152
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Don't you think it's unfair though ? I can see your point but in my view it's authoritarian BS and discrimination of age... I guess I'm a liberal conservative junkie and the UK doesn't know of such a political way but I think it's very unfair for young drivers not to be able to drive decent(ish) cars rather than shopping carts...

I have to drive 2.0 tdi diesels for work, and they feel really **** slow compared to my own cars, I would hate to have that as my own car.
Insurers calculate risk based on certain variables like age, postal code etc. If young people wouldn't crash or die as much insurance rates would be much lower. So in fact it's not a bad system. If all young people would show they can drive carefully rates should go down, but even with the slow cars they are forced to drive because of the high insurance premiums they still cost the insurance companies more money per million km driven than other age groups so the insurance premiums stay the way they are.

I paid over 12k euro in insurance for my car in the last 4 years and never had the slightest accident or claimed anything in 120.000km and only after 4 years the rate dropped to an acceptable sub 100 euro a month level.
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:28 AM   #2153
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

My current all-risk / full coverage insurance is cheaper than my first liability-only insurance when I was 18 years old... But in the Netherlands we can't complain much, motor vehicle insurances are one of the lowest in the region.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:01 AM   #2154
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog

Meh, life isn't fair If young people as a group start driving better they will start getting cheaper insurance.

My full comprehensive car insurance is £285/year
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:19 PM   #2155
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Insurers calculate risk based on certain variables like age, postal code etc. If young people wouldn't crash or die as much insurance rates would be much lower. So in fact it's not a bad system. If all young people would show they can drive carefully rates should go down, but even with the slow cars they are forced to drive because of the high insurance premiums they still cost the insurance companies more money per million km driven than other age groups so the insurance premiums stay the way they are.

I paid over 12k euro in insurance for my car in the last 4 years and never had the slightest accident or claimed anything in 120.000km and only after 4 years the rate dropped to an acceptable sub 100 euro a month level.
In Holland? What do you drive, a Ferrari ? Or do you spend a lot extra on fully comp. insurance rather than 3rd party only ?

Quote:
My full comprehensive car insurance is £285/year
Now that is cheap I guess, but you pay the price when you don't have too much money. I'd rather pay more when I'm older and have a decent job than while being a student .
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM   #2156
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
So in the US if a 50 year old woman with perfect driving record insures her Lexus for presumably a pretty low premium she can give it to a 16 year old boy to drive and he will be comprehensively insured at no extra cost?
I'm not sure (because I don't have kids), but I don't think it's that simple. I think the person insuring the car needs to list everyone who drives it habitually, so if you've got teenagers, that will affect your rate.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:55 AM   #2157
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm not sure (because I don't have kids), but I don't think it's that simple. I think the person insuring the car needs to list everyone who drives it habitually, so if you've got teenagers, that will affect your rate.
I can answer that question for here ( Holland), and it's yes. Once the main driver is insured anyone can drive it with his permission. An 18 year old girl at work always turns up in her dads brand new 530d . I'm jealous :p.
No need to list anyone, on the older insurance cards you used to have a field that said ''name everyone who is permitted to drive this vehicle (only required for driving in the UK& Ireland)'' so I assume most of Europe's system works like the Dutch one.
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM   #2158
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

I can confirm that for Slovenia also. Anyone can drive your car.
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:50 PM   #2159
PortoNuts

Old April 1st, 2011, 11:46 PM   #2160
PortoNuts

Quote:
Motorway speed limit could be increased to 80mph within months

The motorway speed limit could be raised to 80mph in months. Ministers want to push the 10mph rise through Parliament before MPs leave for summer holidays in July. The Government is still undecided on whether it should be 80mph on all motorways or just quieter ones.

The new law could mean the M4 and M5 to popular West Country holiday destinations may get an 80mph limit. But it is understood the maximum on London's M25 is likely to stay at 70mph.

Roads minister Mike Penning said: "We need to look at the economic benefits of shorter journey times as well as considering implications for road safety." MPs will also decide if the new limit will only apply at night, when there is less traffic, or in good weather. Britain's top speed limit has been 70 since 1965. Back then, that was the fastest family cars could go but now they can easily do 90mph and safety features have greatly improved.

Drivers are eight times less likely to crash on a motorway than in a built-up area but the Parliamentary Advisory Council on Transport Safety is against raising the limit, claiming it would increase casualties by up to 10 per cent. The Association of British Drivers, however, said international evidence showed no relation between motorway speed limits and accident rates.

And the RAC says 80mph would be "perfectly safe in good conditions". The top limit in France and Italy is 81mph (130km), while in Ireland, Spain and Portugal it is 75mph (120km). And long stretches of German motorways - known as autobahns - have no speed limit.

Bad drivers pass on road rage habits to their learner-driver children, an AA poll found. Many set a bad example by tailgating and getting angry with others motorists, the study says.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk...6908-22988986/

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom