daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:18 AM   #2161
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

I hope they change to 80 mph. The motorways in the UK are built for at least 130 km/h and thats around 80 mph. And the people in the UK are not using old Morris Minor or similar anymore. They are using cars like BMW, Mercedes and similar cars and they are built for motorways and at least 130 km/h.

But Spain is changing to only 110 km/h.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:10 PM   #2162
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Spain is wrong, currently we have the lowest speed limit for motorways on EU: 68 mph. I want to kill politicians
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM   #2163
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post

I hope they change to 80 mph. The motorways in the UK are built for at least 130 km/h and thats around 80 mph. And the people in the UK are not using old Morris Minor or similar anymore. They are using cars like BMW, Mercedes and similar cars and they are built for motorways and at least 130 km/h.

But Spain is changing to only 110 km/h.
Yes I think 130 km/h is perfectly acceptable but the British have always a been a little excessive with safety. I hope they change it though.

Wasn't Spain's decision motivated by energy saving?
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:12 PM   #2164
eskandarany
من المحيــط إلىٰ الخليــج

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Now that is cheap I guess, but you pay the price when you don't have too much money. I'd rather pay more when I'm older and have a decent job than while being a student .
worrrrd!
eskandarany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:11 PM   #2165
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Green Party promises reducing speed limit on motorways to 50 mph...

... if they get in.
Mateusz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:25 AM   #2166
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post

... if they get in.
What? You mean they are NOT promising to demolish and deconstruct ALL motorways and double carriageways? Pfff..
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM   #2167
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post

... if they get in.
LOL what would be the point of having motorways with a 50 mph speed limit...
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:48 PM   #2168
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
LOL what would be the point of having motorways with a 50 mph speed limit...
It was 55 mph - nationally, by federal law - in the U.S. from about 1975 to '87. Because someone convinced enough politicians that that was the most fuel-efficient speed.

It didn't matter, because everyone (including the police) ignored it....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2169
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

No doubt they want to force people out of their cars into stinky public transport.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #2170
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
It was 55 mph - nationally, by federal law - in the U.S. from about 1975 to '87. Because someone convinced enough politicians that that was the most fuel-efficient speed.

It didn't matter, because everyone (including the police) ignored it....
The poilce here also igonore the 70 speed limit. If you're going over 80 you might get pulled over, but under 80 it's unlikely.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM   #2171
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

...which in fact is one of the reasons put forward by some for leaving the limit at 70mph.

The limit is 70mph, but there is an unwritten understanding between the authorities and the public that, unless you show a serious disregard for other road users, the speed limit will be enforced only on loose basis. I think I am correct (having seen it written elsewhere) that the UK has one of the better records when it comes to road safety and accidents...so why change? If it's not broken, don't try to fix it!
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:14 PM   #2172
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

The far majority of the fatal accidents do not occur on motorways. There's no need to keep a low speed limit of 70 mph while it is the safest road type available. Other countries with a 75 or 80 mph limit have a similar safety on motorways.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #2173
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 286

I think 80Mph is fine. Motorways are quite straight and wide. The only places that I don't think it would work on is the very busy sections such as the M6 thru Birmingham etc due to all the congestion.

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #2174
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
I think 80Mph is fine. Motorways are quite straight and wide. The only places that I don't think it would work on is the very busy sections such as the M6 thru Birmingham etc due to all the congestion.
Of course it woudl be possible to apply local speed limits. In Germany, where there is no limit basically, almost half of the national network has some local speed limit.
I think 80mph is generally a right speed limit for motorways - combined with local speed limits on less safe sections.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #2175
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Of course it woudl be possible to apply local speed limits. In Germany, where there is no limit basically, almost half of the national network has some local speed limit.
I think 80mph is generally a right speed limit for motorways - combined with local speed limits on less safe sections.
I don't, 80 mph in the middle on the night on a 2x3 or wider motorway is boring and slow...

130-140 mph is a nice speed at night time imho.

Only issue is that most drivers are retarded or on a moral high horse, only Germans know how to drive while using their mirrors and don't cut you off when you are coming at them at 2x the speed.
Most Dutch or Poles in Germany **** their pants when you overtake them at 120+ mph and start flashing their lights, or simply cut you up because they think you are far in the mirror. I think the UK would suffer the same problem because the people are used to sleepy speeds.

But anyhow, 11pm-5am no speed limit imho, and ( during day outside rush hour) on rural wide bits of the motorway too, 80 mph is quite slow...

Last edited by snowdog; April 4th, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #2176
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Motorways in the UK are often quite busy so I think a speed limit of more than 80mph might not actually make traffic go any faster.

I experienced this myself in Italy on the A4 between Milano and Bergamo. The speed limit is 130 km/h but since there was a lot of traffic that Sunday afternoon, the actual driving speed was often below 110km/h.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #2177
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

110 km/h traffic? Here in Seattle when there is traffic on I-5, the speed is usually 10-20-30 mph (15-30-50 km/h)
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #2178
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Well, that's an urban freeway. Rebasepoiss is referring to an intercity Autostrada. (like I-5 between Portland and Seattle).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #2179
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Motorways in the UK are often quite busy so I think a speed limit of more than 80mph might not actually make traffic go any faster.

I experienced this myself in Italy on the A4 between Milano and Bergamo. The speed limit is 130 km/h but since there was a lot of traffic that Sunday afternoon, the actual driving speed was often below 110km/h.
At night?

Also in italy they have some 160 km/h motorways which are wide enough iirc.

But yeah, 130 km/h allowed and traffic goes 110km/h at busy times? I seen o problem, drivers adjusting their speed to conditions rather than big daddy government telling them to always do 110 km/h.
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #2180
piotr71

By the way, I have some pics from M50. They have been taken almost at night, so the sharpness is not perfect. Hopefully, this modest report will let you experience this olden days reminder of which M50 is certainly a good example.
I dreamed about driving there for a long time, so at last I got an opportunity and must say I am not disappointed at all. This road is exactly what I imagined and what I was prepared for. I find only one word which perfectly describes what kind of feeling came to me on M50: Nostalgia.

This sign made me wondering what kind of junction will appear after next bend.

Here it is:

Last edited by piotr71; April 5th, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom