daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #2201
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
But legally, eurobands on NI plates are only valid if they have "GB", but as I aid I guess its an earlier development.
Yes, exactly, so all these people with Sco or CYM or ENG on their number plates if they drive to the continent, must place a GB(or a UK I assume) on their number plates or a white circle with GB on their car.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #2202
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Ukraine has UA.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #2203
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle33 View Post
Its all part of the same name anyway, "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"...I guess Ukraine or somewhere already has "UK" for their number plates?? Techincally GB for the purposes of identifing a country of origin is wrong because its a geographical reference to the Island of Great Britain, rather than a country (United Kingdom). I suppose its like referring to "America", rather than United States.
GB in the number plate sense is used for the whole UK, including NI. I know that it can be a bit confusing. Yes, geographical, GB is just the island, but G is used in the political sense for the whole UK. So, I don't know if a car from NI going to the continent would use GB or IRL, I assume GB but I don't know... but that wasn't my original question anyway.

So, there is not EU directive or anything that says a country's driving licence doesn't have to match what is on the number plate?? I'll do some googleling. :-)
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #2204
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
GB in the number plate sense is used for the whole UK, including NI. I know that it can be a bit confusing. Yes, geographical, GB is just the island, but G is used in the political sense for the whole UK. So, I don't know if a car from NI going to the continent would use GB or IRL, I assume GB but I don't know... but that wasn't my original question anyway.

So, there is not EU directive or anything that says a country's driving licence doesn't have to match what is on the number plate?? I'll do some googleling. :-)
Cars from Northern Ireland has GB on the Euroband. Cars with IRL on the Euroband are from the Republic of Ireland. So if you see a car with IRL on the Euroband it's not from Northern Ireland, it's from the Republic of Ireland and thats two different countries.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #2205
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Why GB?

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #2206
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Why GB?
Yes, exactly, especially since my GB Driver's Licence has UK on it, not GB. Just a mystery and a discrepancy that other EU countries don't have.
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #2207
sotonsi

The UK gets allocated GB by international standards organisations, which we don't like, so use .UK instead. I think the initial choice was taking sides in the Norn Iron debate, and I have no reason why it hasn't been changed de jure even though we change them de facto.

The only one where it matters less is sports, as Northern Irish people can compete for GB or Ireland, so team GB is a bit different to having GB on car stickers, number plates (and I'm sure most people don't give two seconds to EU legality when it comes to having Union Flags with UK or GB, Saltires with SCO, St George's Cross with ENG, Welsh flags with CYM - after all, the legal option of the EU flag with GB is much more counter cultural and offensive than any national flag, other than perhaps the red hand in NIR).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #2208
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
The UK gets allocated GB by international standards organisations, which we don't like, so use .UK instead. I think the initial choice was taking sides in the Norn Iron debate, and I have no reason why it hasn't been changed de jure even though we change them de facto.
Couldn't the UK apply for a change from the international standards organization, to have UK on the cars rather than GB? And why does this organization have power for the number plates, but not for the licence?
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #2209
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Couldn't the UK apply for a change from the international standards organization, to have UK on the cars rather than GB? And why does this organization have power for the number plates, but not for the licence?
I'm sure it could...if anyone really cared. Not particularly high up on anyone's 'to do' list though, I would imagine.

Besides which, from telephone numbering systems to counties/local authority areas to postal conventions - the UK fudges everything. We don't do neat, logical classification in the same way that they do in the US or France.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2210
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:

The only one where it matters less is sports, as Northern Irish people can compete for GB or Ireland, so team GB is a bit different to having GB on car stickers, number plates (and I'm sure most people don't give two seconds to EU legality when it comes to having Union Flags with UK or GB, Saltires with SCO, St George's Cross with ENG, Welsh flags with CYM - after all, the legal option of the EU flag with GB is much more counter cultural and offensive than any national flag, other than perhaps the red hand in NIR).
Where abouts do you live? Around here the "GB" with the European flag is more common than those, and I'd say about 40% of cars around here have it
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #2211
sotonsi

It's the default option on newer cars - I'd know of no one that would ask to have it on their car if the default was plates without the EU flag bit. I don't see a huge amount of St George Crosses, and my geographic location means that Dragons and Saltires aren't going to be seen much, however I do see them in numbers to suggest that a large number of people don't want the EU flag on their car to the extent of buying a new number plate.

I'd bet that Halfords, etc sell quite a few of the illegal plates to people replacing their number plates, and next-to-no ones with the EU flag. Wales and Scotland would see rather a lot. I don't recall seeing a Scottish registered car (registration number begins with an S) without a Saltire, though I'm not that close to there.
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #2212
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I know people who in fact replaced their plates to put the euroband on
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #2213
Uppsala

Specially in London I see more and more cars with the real Euroband with EU-stars and GB. I think more and more people in the UK think a modern car should have Euroband at the plates, like in the rest of Europe.
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #2214
sotonsi

Well London is different - mostly as it has a lot of European migrants.

More than half the country is skeptical about the EU intergration project, about half want to leave and get back some self-determination (hence why we won't get asked, despite all three parties promising some sort of referendum on the EU)

I'd rather a modern car had a symbol that wasn't related to a trading block whose share of world GDP hasn't declined over the past 20 years. The USA, EFTA and Canada have kept up with the pace, despite the growth of China, etc but the EU is long past it's sell-by-date, stuck in the 70s.
Old April 8th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #2215
Uppsala

Quote:
Well London is different - mostly as it has a lot of European migrants.

More than half the country is skeptical about the EU intergration project, about half want to leave and get back some self-determination (hence why we won't get asked, despite all three parties promising some sort of referendum on the EU)

I'd rather a modern car had a symbol that wasn't related to a trading block whose share of world GDP hasn't declined over the past 20 years. The USA, EFTA and Canada have kept up with the pace, despite the growth of China, etc but the EU is long past it's sell-by-date, stuck in the 70s.
I don't think it's only London where the Euroband are coming more and more in the UK. Also in the rest of the UK I see more and more Eurobands too, maybe not so many like London, but there are quite many of them now. So I think more and more people just think a modern car should have Euroband at the plates. When someone for example buy a new BMW they maybe think it looks better with Euroband at the plates, and thats not means they are so interesting about EU integration or not.
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #2216
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20274

Lol, I don't think people think that deeply about the 'euroband', this is the first time I've ever heard of it being a 'symbol of modernity'

You see a lot of them here too because it's the default option but I doubt many people feel a strong attachment to it.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #2217
sotonsi

Eurobands are default on new cars - most people either don't care, or don't care enough to buy a new number plate, but my point about Eurobands with GB being more controversial than the various illegal options still stands.

You keep on about putting this symbol of a has-been organisation looks better on a modern car. What about old cars, does it not look good on them? Why add the extra word? Oh, your not-very-subtle point was that the EU was the future, but you fail to deal with my argument that the EU is the past, a has-been organisation that wants to take us all down with it while it sinks. It's a similar statement about the car looking good and modern as putting on a Rover badge - a snazzy little symbol, but laden with stuff about the past.

That the other options are illegal is a disgustingly dictatorial, but that's par for the course from the EU. It's all about integration, else they'd allow non-EU flags on the car instead of the EU one across Europe.
Old April 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #2218
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
God, what an utterly uninteresting and off-topic discussion. Concealing political arguments with pseudo-relevant observations doesn't make it any more on-topic.
I don't find it uninteresting at all, although I'm just an observer....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #2219
apinamies

Likes (Received): 722

Some European forumers just hate fact that Brits don't care about Europe or EU at all, and they have to rant something about EU and how UK need EU.
apinamies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #2220
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

The UK should be a separate continent
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom