daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #2241
JohnnyFive

Likes (Received): 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Absolutely 110% not true. Wife and I just did a 4 day drive up to Inverness a few weeks ago. While, yes, we saw some cars with the Euroband with SCO on the number plates, we saw FAR MORE cars with the Euroband with the GB or nothing at all. So, when you say you have never seen a car in Scotland with the GB Euroband, I am very very surprised. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Que? I see loads of the standard EU GB ones in Aberdeen and elsewhere in Scotland. My partner's car being one of those, too!
I have seen GB ones yes, but they are almost always on a car not registered in Scotland.

Quote:
You're right, it is not illegal, as long as you are driving WITHIN the UK. If you drive to the continent however, you will have to change the Euroband on your number plate so it says GB. Placing the white oval sticker on the back of the car isn't enough because the front number plate will still have the SCO Euroband on it, and again, this is only legal within the UK. However, if the car has no Euroband whatsoever you could then just place the white oval sticker with the GB on the back of the car.
I seen people with an just an oval ECOSSE sticker on the ferry which probably appeases the French into not ticketing them!

Quote:
Please, not the Scotland is a country argument again!! Let's not get into this again, Chris might again start deleting sections of our thread as he did before.
I am not sure what you are getting at but it is obvious Scotland (+ England etc) are countries.

Last edited by JohnnyFive; April 11th, 2011 at 02:34 PM.
JohnnyFive no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #2242
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

So, being the complete nerd that I am, I decided to try and figure out why the UK is the only country in Europe(that I'm aware of) that has different country lettering on it's driver's licence(UK) and on car number plates(GB).

If you find this completely uninteresting and boring, please feel free to skip this post.

After googling and googling, not finding anything, I finally stumbled upon a European agency at https://www.eucaris.net/ which is based in the Netherlands.

I sent them an email asking my question of the UK's discrepancy. They also provided a link to the DVLA here in the UK, and so I wrote them as well. About an hour later, I was surprised to have an email back from both places. The one from DVLA made me laugh. The email said:

Dear Mr Castle

I am sorry, due to the insecurity of the Internet I am unable to deal with your enquiry via email.

For further assistance please contact our enquiry unit:
etc...

My question certainty didn't involved anything top-secret! I suspect this was a way to brush my question aside as they probably had no clue on what to say, and God-forbid they actually take the time to find out.

So, I then called them, went through various menus, finally got through to a lady who didn't seem to understand my question at all(she probably had given it zero thought in her life). I then asked again, and she put me on hold for a few minutes, came back and said pretty much: "Yup, it's different." Yup, ok then.

But the email from Eucaris was great. For those strange people out there who are just dying with curiosity as to why there is a discrepancy with the UK licences and number plates here is the definitive answer:

Dear Mr Castle,

From my position I cannot tell you the reasoning behind decisions made in the past, but I can inform you about some legislative acts that have lead to this confusion.

- The model for driving licences in the EU is harmonised, so that one can read and undestand a driving licence from people from anther EU Member State.
The UK is a Member State of the EU and therefore directives 91/439/EEC and 2006/126/EC state that the distinguishing sign of the Member State issuing the licence should be the UK, to which the directive applies. UK is the official abbriviation for the Member State United Kingdom. (Directives can be found on http://eur-lex.europa.eu//en/index.htm )

- The signs on the back of the vehicles were agreed on in the Convention of Road Traffic, in Vienna 8 November 1968. Here the UK as contracting party agreed to use "GB" as distinguishing sign. (See http://www.unece.org/trans/conventn/...traffic_EN.pdf and http://www.unece.org/trans/conventn/Distsigns.pdf )

- The common EU format of having a blue section on the left with EU stars and the country code was introduced by Council Regulation (EC) No 2411/98. The EU format is optional in Finland, Sweden, Cyprus and the United Kingdom. Denmark implemented the EU format on a voluntary basis in 2009. Within the United Kingdom, motorists with vehicles registered in Great Britain may use number plates featuring the national flag of England, Scotland and Wales, or alternatively the Union Flag, together with the code name "ENG" for England, "SCO" for Scotland, "Wales" or "CYM" for Wales, "GB" for Great Britain or "UK" for United Kingdom respectively. Although not officially recognised outside the UK, they are authorised by the DVLA. However, motorists with vehicles registered in Northern Ireland fall within the jurisdiction of the Driver & Vehicle Agency, which does not permit a similar scheme to operate in Northern Ireland; only the optional EU format, (featuring in this case the letters GB), being permitted.

- At the EU level the model for vehicle registration documents are harmonised (compulsory) in directive 1999/37/EC. Here again, the UK is referred to as UK (being the Member State of the EU). So you might have vehicle that has a GB sticker (because not compulsory in EU to carry UK) and an UK registration certificat (compulsory).

For more information I would advise you to contact DVLA.

Kind regards,

Paul Eijssen
EUCARIS Secretariat

T +31 79 3458237
M +31 6 29339109
F +31 79 3458024
www.eucaris.net

It's funny that he directed me to the DVLA for more information. HA, they are useless!

So, my curiosity has finally been taking care of. :-)
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #2243
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFive View Post
I have seen GB ones yes, but they are always car not registered in Scotland.
Right, I see your point. They are cars probably purchased 2nd hand then. They are registered in Scotland now however, just not when the car was originally registered.
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #2244
JohnnyFive

Cheers for that information

Quote:
The signs on the back of the vehicles were agreed on in the Convention of Road Traffic, in Vienna 8 November 1968. Here the UK as contracting party agreed to use "GB" as distinguishing sign. (See http://www.unece.org/trans/conventn/...traffic_EN.pdf and http://www.unece.org/trans/conventn/Distsigns.pdf )
Makes you wonder what absolute donkey agreed that GB would be used...

Old April 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #2245
JohnnyFive

Quote:
Right, I see your point. They are cars probably purchased 2nd hand then. They are registered in Scotland now however, just not when the car was originally registered.

Yes, sorry for not being very clear.

It is on cars with a 'S' at the start of the plate which were originally registered in Scotland that I was meaning.
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #2246
JeremyCastle

Quote:

I seen people with an just an oval ECOSSE sticker on the ferry which probably appeases the French into not ticketing them!

Yes, that's is funny, working the French ego of their love of their language. :-)

Quote:

I am not sure what you are getting at but it is obvious Scotland (+ England etc) are countries.
As an International Relations major, I can only say, that all depends on what definition you use. Most people have never given much though to what exactly constitutes or defines a nation/country, national mythologies, the philosophy of national identity(ethnos vs. civic)etc, people start comparing apples and oranges instead of just apples. But, anyway, this is a car/highways forum, let's keep it at that please. Send me a private email if you want to continue this, otherwise, I want to stick to UK highways/cars. :-)
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #2247
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Yes, sorry for not being very clear.

It is on cars with a 'S' at the start of the plate which were originally registered in Scotland that I was meaning.
I understand now. Thanks.
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #2248
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7483

Old April 12th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #2249
PortoNuts

Quote:
Improving roads could save lives and money, report claims

The Road Safety Foundation and RAC Foundation have urged the Government to spend “just a fraction” of the money lost to Britain because of crashes. It calculated that accidents cost the British economy up to £30billion a year.

Much of the Bill is picked up by the National Health Service while ordinary drivers are finding themselves out of pocket as insurance premiums soar. The report ‘'Saving Lives, Saving Money: the costs and benefits of achieving safe roads'’ calls for an investment of £8 billion over the next decade.

Among the recommendations is a call for a star rating system for roads, with the toughest standards being set for motorways.

“Given that Britons are more likely to die on the roads than in any other daily activity, this report should make us first angry, and then determined to act to see more lives saved – at little or no extra cost,” said Prof Stephen Glaister, director of the RAC Foundation. We will never prevent all road accidents but we can do a considerable amount to reduce their effects simply by improving the road environment and making it as forgiving as possible."

“We understand road risks well enough to know how to cut this grim toll of death and injury, yet we fail to implement cheap and effective measures to combat them.

“Why do we continue to tolerate unsafe roads when the cost of bringing the network up to minimum standards is within what we already spend on our roads? It beggars belief that we are not redirecting resources to where they are most beneficial.”

The campaigners have criticised the Government for cutting local authorities’ road safety budgets. It has led to a number of councils, police forces and road safety partnerships switching off speed cameras. There Institute of Advanced Motorists called for better training to tackle the problem.

“The IAM wants to see incentives for all drivers to improve their skills so that they are well prepared to cope with the wide variety of road conditions highlighted in this report,” said Neil Greig, the director of policy and research.

“Drivers cause most crashes, not roads or cars. Basic advanced Basic advanced driving skills – anticipation, positioning, speed and control – are at their most valuable on Britain’s highest risk roads. On rural roads the margins for error are minimal and the punishment for mistakes often tragic. Rural driving must become part of the driving test as soon as possible.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...t-claims.html#
Old April 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #2250
PortoNuts

Old April 17th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #2251
PortoNuts

Old April 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM   #2252
PortoNuts

Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM   #2253
PortoNuts

Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #2254
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19147

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Wow!!!

What a great video. One of the best I've seen posted on Skyscrapercity so far.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:38 PM   #2255
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 892

His videos are pretty good
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #2256
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
His videos are pretty good
The music went well with it too I thought.
Old April 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #2257
PortoNuts

Old April 24th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #2258
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Speaking of Doncaster, I hope that A1 towards Pontefract will be somewhen upgraded.
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #2259
PortoNuts

Quote:
'Brain belt' motorway proposed between Cambridge and Oxford

The Government has been urged to build a new three-lane motorway dubbed the ''Brain Belt'' which would link the university cities of Oxford and Cambridge.

Tory peer Lord Wolfson told the annual conference at the British Chamber of Commerce that the Government should link the two famous academic cities by road.The proposed motorway would affect one million people living in Cambridge, St Neots, Bedford, Milton Keynes, Bicester and Oxford and cut the three hour journey in half.

Lord Wolfson claims his plan would release pressure on London house prices and attract wealth away from the over-crowded capital. He said: ''Long before he became Prime Minister, David Cameron asked me why Britain didn't have a Silicon Valley.

''Half jokingly, I replied if the idea were mooted in Britain it would never get planning permission.

''It takes three hours to drive from Oxford to Cambridge, yet they are barely 75 miles apart. The effect of joining them by a motorway, mainly following existing routes, would be transformative. The advantages of this 'Brain Belt' begin with the creation of jobs and extend to kick-starting a knowledge-based economy - buy they would go well beyond that.''

Currently it takes around three hours to drive the 125 miles between Cambridge and Oxford via the M11, M25 and M40. Motorists who make the journey through Bedford and Milton Keynes on the A428 and A421 have to drive 84 miles and the journey takes around two hours 45 minutes.

Regular flights run by Sky Commuter between the two cities, which shortened the commuter time to 30 minutes, were grounded in 2006. The Varsity Line railway, known as the 'Brain Line', linked Oxford and Cambridge but the service was withdrawn in 1967.
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Camb...and-Oxford.htm

Quote:
Link Oxford and Cambridge with motorway to create our own Silicon Valley, says top Tory businessman

A Tory peer has called for a motorway to be built between Oxford and Cambridge in a bid to create the UK's own Silicon Valley. Lord Wolfson, chief executive of Next, said that providing a better transport link between the two universities would create a hub to boost the national economy.

With most research in pharmaceuticals and IT carried out at Oxbridge, he claimed that the new road via Milton Keynes and Bedford - dubbed the 'Brain Belt' - would attract moneymaking companies. Lord Wolfson told the annual conference at the British Chamber of Commerce that his plan would release pressure on London house prices and bring in wealth from the over-crowded capital.

The proposed motorway would affect one million people living in Cambridge, St Neots, Bedford, Milton Keynes, Bicester and Oxford and cut the three-hour journey in half. 'Long before he became Prime Minister, David Cameron asked me why Britain didn't have a Silicon Valley,' Lord Wolfson said.

'Half jokingly, I replied if the idea were mooted in Britain, it would never get planning permission.It takes three hours to drive from Oxford to Cambridge, yet they are barely 75 miles apart. The effect of joining them by a motorway, mainly following existing routes, would be transformative.

'The advantages of this "Brain Belt" begin with the creation of jobs and extend to kick-starting a knowledge-based economy - but they would go well beyond that.' Currently it takes around three hours to drive the 125 miles between Cambridge and Oxford via the M11, M25 and M40. Motorists who make the journey through Bedford and Milton Keynes on the A428 and A421 have to drive 84 miles and the journey takes around three hours.

Regular flights run by Sky Commuter between the two cities, which shortened the commuter time to 30 minutes, were grounded in 2006. The Varsity Line railway, known as the 'Brain Line', linked Oxford and Cambridge but the service was withdrawn in 1967.

In a Times opinion piece yesterday, he said: 'Why shouldn't Britain leverage the economic potential of its world-class universities?

'After all, Silicon Valley was, in part, built around the outstanding facilities of Stanford University.' However Professor David Begg, director of the Campaign for High Speed Rail which supports a service connecting London and Manchester, condemned the plans. He said: 'They have no interest in regenerating our great Northern cities.

'They just want better motorways for the prosperous south so that, for instance, professors and businesspeople can shuttle between two prosperous university towns more quickly.'

Mr Wolfson's call for better roads in the South came as he attacked Government plans to build a £17billion high-speed rail line between London and Manchester. He said: 'The answer is absolutely blindingly obvious: what make sense is investing in roads, the life blood of the economy.' Professor Begg responded that the proposed motorway would cause considerable damage to the countryside because it would use more than double the space of a railway line.

He added that planning 'more roads for rich people' would not help to rebalance the economy. Others opposing the plans include environmental charity Friends Of The Earth, which is worried about the environmental damage caused by the motorway.

Despite the criticism, there are numerous supporters of the ambitious plans.
Alex Plant, chief executive of the development agency Cambridgeshire Horizons, told the Daily Express that he believes the nation's economic development has been stunted by poor links between the university cities.
He said: 'What we’re talking about is the areas of the economy where the UK still has a competitive advantage in a global environment.

'If we can get the UK’s assets to operate as effectively as possible, that’s good news for the whole country.' Mr Wolfson added: 'In the Far East, our long-term competitors are developing new urban spaces with an ingenuity, ambition and speed that puts to shame our meagre efforts. If we are to make our mark, it must be through grand projects of scale and ambition.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
Old April 25th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #2260
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 892

If this does get built I don't think that it will be for a long while
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom