daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #2261
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 646

Was on the M20 coming back from Dover a few days ago and I was surprised to find a concrete section still existing, can tell with the constant bumping as you pass over the small sections. I remember also a large section of the M5 on the way into Devon was red concrete, drift a little from the normal driving line and you heard a roaring sound.

How long will it take for all these oddities to get ironed out so we get a well surfaced tarmac network like in Europe?
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #2262
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

But, you're in Europe.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #2263
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

British don't consider themselves Europeans. They are British That's why everything is so different there, they drive on the left, they still use miles, they use Pounds and not Euros
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #2264
sotonsi

Surface varies in mainland Europe (which even the most pro-EU of Brits often just shorten to 'Europe') as well.

We drive on the left as we're an island and as we don't have a road border with a drive-on-right country, it makes little sense to spend a national debt to change it. Miles is a different kettle of fish, but the cost of changing all the signs (inc speed limits, which must be done in a short time), isn't justified by the benefits, and height/width limits are now meant to be bi-unit and weight ones are all metric, so the places where it causes a problem are being cost. Pounds rather than Euros was for economic reasons (and the only good policy of Crash Gordon) - if the UK had joined the Euro, the Euro wouldn't exist anymore (we'd have made it collapse when we required a bailout - we avoid it by being able to devalue the pound and inflate away our debt), so thank us.

Concrete in our climate, with the problem of freeze and thaw in winter, doesn't last massively long, so they will start getting replaced with tarmac soonish. Of course, the M20 concrete section is fairly recent, so it might be at least 10 years before it gets replaced.

IIRC part of the concrete section of the southern bit of the M25 was partially resurfaced with a thin coat of noise reduction tarmac, but don't hold me on that.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #2265
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 646

Oh, I generally seperate Britain and Europe when it comes to transportation and infrastructure because to be honest we're just clearly lacking.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #2266
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
British don't consider themselves Europeans. They are British That's why everything is so different there, they drive on the left, they still use miles, they use Pounds and not Euros
Come on...

Yes, they drive on the left and use miles instead of kilometers, but the signage on British roads, the traffic laws, the kind of vehicles you encounter and the actual quality and construction of motorways and other major roads is basically the same as any other European nation. If the British drove on the right and used kms instead of miles, no one would really notice much in the way of difference. Besides, all European countries use somewhat different signage, even though many road signs (e.g. warning signs) are all standard.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #2267
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Come on...

Yes, they drive on the left and use miles instead of kilometers, but the signage on British roads, the traffic laws, the kind of vehicles you encounter and the actual quality and construction of motorways and other major roads is basically the same as any other European nation. If the British drove on the right and used kms instead of miles, no one would really notice much in the way of difference. Besides, all European countries use somewhat different signage, even though many road signs (e.g. warning signs) are all standard.
I agree with that. The UK is a part of Europe. The roads, specially the motorways are very European and the road signs are typical European.

When we are talking about transportation and infrastructure the UK is very European too. Since the tunnel opened the railways in the UK is a part of the continental European railways. And at least every hour London have the Eurostar trains to France and Belgium. And that's much more than some countries in mainland Europe have with other countries around it. The motorways in the UK have a connection with the rest of Europe too. The M20 are going to the car trains in the tunnel and the A26 in France is also going to that tunnel in the same way. So you can use the A26 in France directly to the car trains in the tunnel and then use the M20. So the motorways in the UK have a sort of connection with the motorways in France.

And I must say the culture in the UK is much more European than many people in the UK can belive. And the UK is a very important part of European history. England was a part of Roman Empire. The European railways started in the UK. The European standard gauge is comming from the UK. And in WW2 the UK was a very important country in Europe and I think it was the UK that made the modern Europe after WW2.

So the UK is a very important part of Europe, and I think one of the most typical European countries you can find.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #2268
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

The UK is most obviously a very European country and a part of Europe, but I am a very good example of what Sotonsi said, I am very pro-EU but you'll still catch me shortening "Continental Europe" to "Europe", but I do refer to "Europe" as the whole thing when the separation is irrelevant, such as taking about culture or to non-Europeans, especially Americans. Although, culturally you could argue that America is European, its obviously not in Europe.

People here like to say that the culture and lifestyle here is more like the US or Australia than France or the Netherlands, but I disagree with that, although all in all the US or Australian cultures aren't really all that different
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #2269
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the fire under the M1 in north London that closed the road recently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13220775
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #2270
Uppsala

Is the motorway open again now?
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #2271
DanielFigFoz

Yes, but I'm not sure if all lanes are open
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #2272
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Yes, but I'm not sure if all lanes are open
Unfortunately the intense heat of the fire caused the steel rods in the concrete to expand excessively, fracturing it.

So although it is reopened with temporary strengthening, it will have to be rebuilt at some point which will cause disruption.

They're now looking at what kind of businesses can operate under motorways and railways, which seems like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #2273
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7512

If Iceland is Europe then Britain is certainly Europe.
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #2274
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
If Iceland is Europe then Britain is certainly Europe.
I think the UK is much more European than Iceland. Would like to say that the UK is as European as France, Germany or Italy.
Old April 29th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #2275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Do we need this Europe vs UK discussion every time?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #2276
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Streets deserted as loyal Brits stay in to watch wedding...

Quote:
Unusual: The typically packed M4 motorway leading to London, near Heathrow, is empty as the people stay home to watch the Royal Wedding

Quote:
Eerily quiet: The Newcastle Quayside and Tyne Bridge is deserted as the nation watches the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton

Quote:
The Tyne Bridge in Newcastle was incredibly quiet for a Friday lunch time
via dailymail.co.uk
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #2277
DanielFigFoz

I'm sure that its more to do with the fact that today was a bank holiday
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #2278
sotonsi

Depends what time of day it was - there's normally a bit more traffic than that on Bank Holidays, though we've not had back-to-back 4-day weekends before, and a lot of people have gone on holiday.

As the Tyne Bridge is lunch time, I guess that a lot of people stayed home, and then went out to street parties/shopping after the kiss on the Balcony at half one.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #2279
PortoNuts

Bank holidays are a bit like sundays but the wedding certainly had influence.
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #2280
PortoNuts

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom