daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #2341
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
Because the difference between 80mph and 90mph is tremendous, right?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
Speed doesn't kill, incompetent drivers kill.
I agree. And sadly, there are rather a lot of those around.

An increase of 10 mph in the speed limit is just about plausible. But the politics of the situation dictates that concessions will need to be made to those with serious reservations about the change - not least, the road safety lobby. I think you're being a little naive if you think that we will move in a single step from a speed limit of 70 mph to anything higher than 80 mph (or towards a much more liberal German approach). It simply will not happen.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #2342
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

I wish that was true (map)

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; May 18th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #2343
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Motorways for Manchester...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...,0.363579&z=12

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #2344
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Pretty much just a pipe dream I'm guessing, and a lot of it is a scaled down version of the London Ringways, but there is some outside of the city aswell...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...,1.454315&z=10
Fantastic! London could really do with something like that. How though do you do the Google Map overlays, they're really good.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #2345
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
Fantastic! London could really do with something like that. How though do you do the Google Map overlays, they're really good.
You have to have a Google account, then you can make your own, click on my maps.

London nearly did have something like that, but it got cancelled as the plans in place where much bigger and much more destructive! The plan I have shown follows existing big roads and rail lines so it would be elevated. Some parts would have to be double stack to reduce demolition of homes which I think is important to to reduce!

I <3 London
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #2346
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

80 mph? You are lucky, that's a 16 km/h raise if finally gets signposted. It's better than the pattetic 68 mph limit we have in Spain, I want the 75 mph limit back!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #2347
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Between you, me and the gatepost, I would regularly drive at 100+ mph on certain motorways back in Blighty, particularly the M40 between London and the West Midlands. I never got stopped and I only did it during times of sparse traffic. I remember getting my old Astra GTE up to 142mph for quite a long stretch.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:00 PM   #2348
Sarepava

Likes (Received): 1

If the UK raises the motorway speed limit to 80, then it should also adopt lower speed limits for the wet like France does -say 65, which corresponds to 100km/h. By 'wet' I don't mean just a few specks of rain because that would give jobsworth policemen the ability to make some very dubious speeding convictions, but the law should be that if you need continuous wipers on, the lower limit comes into force (anybody know what the criteria are in France?). Also, using dipped headlights should be made compulsory in precipitation.

That said, I'm not sure this is what the country wants particularly. People are sticking to 70 a lot more as they try to be more fuel efficient, and the current system of cops using their discretion if somebody is doing 80 but clearly not being a greater danger seems to work rather well. The authorities are rightly much more concerned about people speeding in urban areas than on the safest motorway network in the world.

Lowering the limit on single-carriageway roads is bit of a mixed bag. The most dangerous ones already have 50 or even 40 limits anyway, and it is sufficiently safe to do 60 if the road is wide, or one of the former 3-lane ones where the middle lane is now hatched to separate the carriageways. Most sensible people, myself included, actually do around 50-55 as 60 does feel about as quick as you want to go most of the way. It also allows you to be in top gear with the speed a good compromise between economy and having enough torque to slow a little and accelerate without changing down (which also helps fuel economy). 50 is an annoying speed if there appears to be little good reason for it, and slow drivers would push it down to 45. It also means its harder to legally overtake lorries - and yes I know overtaking is inherently dangerous, but if a sufficiently powerful car can get round it would be safer to do it more quickly at 60 than at 50.

Also, this won't make people suddenly like the Tories overnight.

PS. At the risk of descending into rant, if the police are going to clamp down on 'undertaking' they should get equally tough on people not using the overtaking lanes for overtaking. The reason why people go past on the inside is as often as not that there is some idiot who doesn't understand that the empty lane on their left is the one to move back into as soon as they have passed the slower vehicle; and that they should stop bleating to their passenger, pay attention to what's going on around them and stop treating controlling a ton of speeding metal the same way as cooking a microwave meal.

Last edited by Sarepava; May 22nd, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
Sarepava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:14 PM   #2349
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarepava View Post
PS. At the risk of descending into rant, if the police are going to clamp down on 'undertaking' they should get equally tough on people not using the overtaking lanes for overtaking. The reason why people go past on the inside is as often as not that there is some idiot who doesn't understand that the empty lane on their left is the one to move back into as soon as they have passed the slower vehicle; and that they should stop bleating to their passenger, pay attention to what's going on around them and stop treating controlling a ton of speeding metal the same way as cooking a microwave meal.
Absolutely spot on. The amount of times I've gone on the inside lane past dozy idiots (both male and female) who've just parked it in the middle lane to wake them up whilst on my bike is getting rather silly.

Funny to watch them pull over all embarrassed though afterwards!

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:37 PM   #2350
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Nor undertaking nor middle lande hogging are illegal as such, although you can get done for dangerous drivign depending on the circumstances
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:37 PM   #2351
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
If the UK raises the motorway speed limit to 80, then it should also adopt lower speed limits for the wet like France does -say 65, which corresponds to 100km/h.
They do that anyway, with the electronic signs. They also do it for fog and snow, but I think they bring it to 50mph

I <3 London
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM   #2352
kramer81

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Guy View Post
Absolutely spot on. The amount of times I've gone on the inside lane past dozy idiots (both male and female) who've just parked it in the middle lane to wake them up whilst on my bike is getting rather silly.

Funny to watch them pull over all embarrassed though afterwards!
I'm surprised they do move in afterwards, it seems like 80% of cars up here only use the inside lane when entering and exiting the motorway.
kramer81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:52 PM   #2353
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20305

I have to admit I don't always pull into the inside lane from the middle, if I can see something ahead that I'm going to overtake in the next minute or so and there isn't anything approaching behind I can't see the point pulling in only to have to pull straight back out again.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:50 PM   #2354
Sarepava

Quote:
They do that anyway, with the electronic signs. They also do it for fog and snow, but I think they bring it to 50mph.
Those signs are only advisory and are not legally enforcible (except on the M25 and M42, and they are primarily for congestion anyway). Sensible motorists are gentle with the throttle in bad weather anyway.

Quote:
I have to admit I don't always pull into the inside lane from the middle, if I can see something ahead that I'm going to overtake in the next minute or so and there isn't anything approaching behind I can't see the point pulling in only to have to pull straight back out again.
That's fine, because you have a legitimate reason for being in an overtaking lane. If you had 'taken a lorry and stayed in the middle lane even though the next one was a mile ahead it wouldn't be, especially if lanes 2 and 3 were congested but lane 1 underused. That said, there's nothing worse than pulling back in and a minute later getting stuck right behind a lorry, whilst everyone behind you overtakes you and it, blocking your chances of getting out.
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #2355
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7514

Quote:
Drivers want 80mph motorway limit

A new survey by Institute of Advanced Motoring (IAM) has found that nearly three-quarters (over 70%) of drivers and riders want the speed limit on motorways in the UK to be lifted to 80mph from the current 70mph.

Of the more than 2,000 people questioned, nearly three in five said they are more likely to stick to the limit if it is raised to 80mph. Almost 60% confessed that they travel above 70mph when traffic is free-flowing, with a fifth driving at 80 mph or faster.

A study on free-flowing motorway speeds by the Department for Transport showed that over half (52%) of cars break the 70mph limit, while 16% travel at 80mph or faster.

Neil Greig, director of policy and research at IAM, said: "Even though motorways are the safest roads, increasing the motorway speed limit is a controversial subject. This is why we want to see a trial to test its impact on road safety, fuel consumption and driver behaviour. A new 80 miles per hour limit would need to be properly enforced to make sure that it does not become an excuse to drive at 90."
http://www.rac.co.uk/news-advice/mot...otorway-limit/
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #2356
Sarepava

The IAM and RAC should be a reliable and unbiased source (i.e. not some petrolhead group who want all speed limits everywhere to be raised to 190mph) However, as there are approx. 40 million adults with a driving licence in the UK, a sample of around 2000 does not really produce a representative result - the 75% who are in favour of the 80mph limit corresponds to approx. 0.00004% of British drivers...

(In fact the figure does not even say 75%, just 'over 70' so the total percentage may be even lower - but this is somewhat academic).
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #2357
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
The IAM and RAC should be a reliable and unbiased source (i.e. not some petrolhead group who want all speed limits everywhere to be raised to 190mph) However, as there are approx. 40 million adults with a driving licence in the UK, a sample of around 2000 does not really produce a representative result - the 75% who are in favour of the 80mph limit corresponds to approx. 0.00004% of British drivers...

(In fact the figure does not even say 75%, just 'over 70' so the total percentage may be even lower - but this is somewhat academic).
Since I've worked several years in public opinion research, I can say for sure that you're wrong. It is really a kind of science where sometimes researchers can fail of course but, beleive me, basically it is possible to create a very confident report by asking only 2,000 people.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #2358
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

Actually, providing that the sample is representative (ie not self-selected, selected from one place etc etc), 2 000 sampled is ample. It is absolutely normal to sample in this way on everything from TV viewing figures to voting intentions as it is impractical to ask every TV viewer what programme/channel they watched, ask every voter etc.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #2359
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
Actually, providing that the sample is representative (ie not self-selected, selected from one place etc etc), 2 000 sampled is ample. It is absolutely normal to sample in this way on everything from TV viewing figures to voting intentions as it is impractical to ask every TV viewer what programme/channel they watched, ask every voter etc.
Its a very confident report compared to the so called reseach evidence presented in the smallprint of hair and skincare ads which poll only about 80 people and consider a 90% yes to be a success!!
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #2360
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7514

A good survey has much more to do with the criteria used in choosing the sample than the numbers themselves.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom