daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:12 PM   #2361
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7512

Quote:
Kenny commits to motorway in North

TAOISEACH Enda Kenny publicly pledged yesterday to spend hundreds of millions of euro to build a motorway in the North. There have been more than 2,400 objections to the planned €928m A5 motorway from Derry to Aughnacloy, on the Monaghan-Tyrone border.

Its opponents have branded it a vanity project and a "political road" which will not deliver promised economic benefits and which will "cripple" transport budgets north and south. But Mr Kenny said his Government is committed to co-funding the project with the Northen Assembly because it would "significantly improve" access from the north-west to Dublin.

"I've travelled that on many occasions and it does need to be developed. The previous government had committed to put money in there and we will honour that commitment," he said at the annual conference of the Institute for British-Irish studies in UCD.

But the Friends of the Earth Northern Ireland environmental group reacted with surprise to Mr Kenny's announcement.

Its director James Orr said the A5 motorway was not projected to bring about any increase in traffic to the north-west despite its enormous cost. "Since the public inquiry has started, there's even more evidence to suggest it's an ill-thought out, vainglorious scheme. At the end of the day we all know this is a political road," he said.
http://www.independent.ie/national-n...h-2659629.html

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM   #2362
PortoNuts

Old June 1st, 2011, 11:06 PM   #2363
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Nice video!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #2364
PortoNuts

Quote:
Peak District route claims title of Britain's most dangerous road

A perilous 12km road running through the Peak District National Park has been officially named Britain's most dangerous highway.

The A537 from Macclesfield to Buxton in Derbyshire, dubbed the Cat and Fiddle, has seen crashes rise by 62 per cent in the past three years, with the equivalent of three fatal or serious injury collisions for every 3km stretch of road, according to a report by the Road Safety Foundation (RSF).

The 50mph single carriageway, which tourists are often forced to negotiate, takes in severe bends, steep falls and is edged by dry stone walls or rockface for almost all of its length. While the Cat and Fiddle comfortably tops Britain's 10 most dangerous routes, even without counting motorcycle crashes, the report found that drivers across the north-west and East Midlands have to negotiate the most hazardous roads in Britain, with particularly dangerous stretches in Bolton, Wakefield, Worksop and Nantwich. Routes in these areas are frequently rural and challenging to drive, with numerous blind corners and sweeping bends.

The RSF claimed that hundreds of deaths could be prevented with practical, inexpensive solutions, such as resurfacing and better road markings and signs. It said more than 300 people in the UK are alive today because just 15 roads have put such simple improvements in place.

On these 15 roads, fatal and serious-injury crashes dropped from 494 between 2004 and 2006 to 190 between 2007 and 2009. The most-improved road is a 6.9-mile stretch of the A4128 from Great Missenden to High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire, where fatal and serious crashes went down from 19 to just two.

Dr Joanne Hill, director of RSF, said: "These are practical, largely inexpensive solutions which will pay back the costs of investment in an average of 10 weeks – a 500 per cent rate of return in the first year alone – and go on saving lives and saving money for the nation for many years to come. Much of this remedial work can be done as part of routine maintenance."

More than 30,000 people have been killed and 300,000 seriously injured in crashes on Britain's roads in the past decade. Britons are four times more likely to die on the roads than in any other daily activity. Road crashes remain the leading cause of death among young adults.

Dr Hill said that A roads remained the most dangerous routes. "While motorways and dual carriageways are moving towards the 'low risk' benchmark, the risk levels on non-primary single carriageway A roads in particular remain a cause for concern," she said.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...d-2287812.html
Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM   #2365
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

And I drive down that road almost every week and have done for several years lol
But really, I've never seen any accident. They did about a year ago add some average speed check cameras which I'm sure have helped...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:46 PM   #2366
DanielFigFoz

A3 Guildford Bypass

A3 Hindhead

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; June 3rd, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old June 4th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #2367
PortoNuts

They did it quickly, nine months ahead of schedule.

Quote:
M74 extension opens to cyclists, walkers and runners

The new M74 extension in Glasgow has been opened to cyclists, walkers and runners for a one-off charity day. About 20,000 participants will take part in Bike-n-Hike before the section of motorway opens to cars on 28 June.

The route starts at Shields Road car park, and involves a 14km round trip to Fullarton Roundabout, or a 4km route to and from Polmadie Road.

The £657m M74 completion project links the end of the existing M74 with the M8 southwest of the Kingston Bridge.

Work on the extension began in 2008, and it will open almost nine months ahead of schedule. The cost of the project is being met by the Scottish government through Transport Scotland and Glasgow, South Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire councils.

The work was carried out by Interlink M74, a joint venture comprising Balfour Beatty, Morgan Est, Morrison Construction and Sir Robert McAlpine.
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #2368
PortoNuts

Old June 4th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #2369
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post

And I drive down that road almost every week and have done for several years lol
But really, I've never seen any accident. They did about a year ago add some average speed check cameras which I'm sure have helped...
They rank roads as the worst based on accident rates but that isn't necessarily true.
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #2370
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
They did it quickly, nine months ahead of schedule.

I wonder when it will show on Google Maps

I <3 London
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2371
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Nine months behind schedule probably
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #2372
DanielFigFoz

In Figueira da Foz, they rebuilt a section of the EN109 in the north of the city ( both the olnd and new section visible from my balcony ), anyway, it was on google maps about 2 years before they built it
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #2373
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

In France (at least the places I spot-checked), the imagery, as opposed to the maps, is several years behind (the new A4 bypassing Reims and the A19 where it crosses the A77 aren't even visibly under construction on the imagery, whereas they opened in 2010 and 2009).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #2374
DanielFigFoz

Yes, my block in Figueira didn't appear on google maps (satelitte) until six years after it was built

Anyway,

A3(M) Waterlooville Bypass
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #2375
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Google Maps get their roads data from TeleAtlas. They will update their data if you report a new road opening here:
http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #2376
PortoNuts

Quote:
Btw, isn't the M74 extension part of the 2014 Commonwealth Games thing? And they usually encourage people to use public transportation for these events.
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #2377
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Btw, isn't the M74 extension part of the 2014 Commonwealth Games thing? And they usually encourage people to use public transportation for these events.
Nope, was planned long before the Commonwealth Games.
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #2378
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Google Maps get their roads data from TeleAtlas. They will update their data if you report a new road opening here:
http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/
Well I'd imagine the already know or 1000s have already reported it lol
Its not as if its a small country track

I <3 London
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #2379
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaska View Post
It was, though on a slightly different alignment, along with a whole host of other motorways that snaked around the Glasgow urban area:

A history of Glasgow's motorways

Quote:
Well I'd imagine the already know or 1000s have already reported it lol
Its not as if its a small country track
I reported some issues with the mapping of Ireland's new motorways which was horrendous about a year or two ago. It was only last month that I got an email from Teleatlas telling me they'd acknowledged my comments and made the relevant changes! I think they like to take their time with such updates!

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #2380
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaska View Post
Thanks.

Quote:
A8 upgrade finally gets green light

Proposals to sell land for a major motorway upgrade on the outskirts of Glasgow have been given the go ahead for later this year. The work, including a six-mile section of the A8 on the eastern side of the city will began after compulsory purchase orders were passed without objection.

Transport Scotland confirmed the process for the A8 upgrade between Baillieston and Newhouse, the last remaining non-motorway section of the Glasgow-Edinburgh road, as well as improvements to the M74, M73 and Raith Interchange would start at the end of the year.

But it faced renewed calls from opposition parties to spell out a timetable for the project amid anxiety that the "missing link" of central Scotland’s motorway network will not be completed in time for Glasgow 2014. The sale of dozens of plots of land around the motorways will represent the first tangible sign of progress since an independent reporter concluded in 2008 that the upgrade could go ahead.

The recommendation then awaited government approval until December last year when Finance Secretary John Swinney announced the scheme would go ahead, funded by the SNP’s non profit distributing (NPD) financing scheme, a model similar to the PFI borrowing favoured by Labour and the Tories.

A spokeswoman for Transport Scotland confirmed that, since compulsory purchase orders were published in January, no formal objections had been received by the end of the official consultation period last month. "After Parliamentary approval of the Orders for M8 Schemes, the affirmative process has now passed without any objections being received. It is anticipated commencing the procurement process towards the end of this year," she said.

"Along with the M74 Completion scheme which opens to traffic on 28 June, and the M80 Stepps to Haggs upgrade, programmed to be completed later this year, this Government is committed to completing the Central Scotland motorway network."

The cost of the improvements was originally £310 million, though it is expected to have increased due to inflation. A clearer figure is expected to emerge following a government review which will spell out an exact timetable. To date, the government has only committed to starting the scheme "between 2011 and 2012".

Businesses and motoring organisations have long pressed for the A8 upgrade, which was approved by the then Scottish Executive in 2003.

The project is expected to lead to journey savings of around 20 minutes between Glasgow and Edinburgh on one of Scotland’s busiest roads, which is used by around 100,000 vehicles a day. Improvements to the M74 and M73 are also seen as vital to avoid pinch points forming once the new M74 extension opens later this month, diverting traffic away from the M8 into Glasgow.

A spokesman for Labour called for a "clear guarantee" that the upgrade would be completed in time for the Commonwealth Games. The spokesman said: "We need to see a definitive timetable set out and a definitive source of finance in place. This is an important part of Scotland’s road network and it would be disappointing if improvements were still incomplete when Glasgow hosts the Games."

A spokeswoman for the LibDems added: "The Transport Minister needs to give assurances that this project will completed in the agreed time scale because of its importance for transport links in Scotland."

Other major motorway projects suggest that completing the A8 upgrade before 2014 would be difficult. The first road orders for the £320m M80 Stepps to Haggs project were first published in 2006 and work is expected to finish later this year.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/a8-upg...ight-1.1105393

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom