daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #2521
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The UK's last, great, expensive, short roads

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13924687
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #2522
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7475

Old June 29th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #2523
PortoNuts

Old June 30th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #2524
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

The UK has some fantastic Motorways very impressive.
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #2525
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMan2010 View Post
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #2526
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
I disagree. If the M8 hadn't been built, Glasgow would be at least as congested as it is (I would say more so) while taking much less traffic than it does. A huge number of the business trips, leisure and social trips etc that add to the economy and benefit of society would not take place and that would be a major loss.

The main problem with a setup such as Glasgow's was is that in general a single motorway does not function well as both an access to a city centre and as a through route. Birmingham and the M6 fall into the same category in my opinion.
But if the M8 was built further out as a ring around the city then the cars wouldn't have been there in the first place. The subway is a big miss opportunity for Glasgow. The M74 extension will soon be rammed with cars. They will then need a bypass to bypass the bypass...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 07:42 AM   #2527
PortoNuts

Quote:
Raising speed limit on motorways threatens climate change target warn Government advisers

Philip Hammond, the Transport Secretary, has signalled that he is ready to lift the 70mph limit to 80mph if it is in the interests of British business to speed up journeys.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...-advisers.html
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM   #2528
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19144

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMan2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
@Road_UK

Dude, what's your problem?
Poor boy exaggerated a bit but it seems like you have some serious problems with the UK motorways. They are really not bad, pity that network is not more extensive.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM   #2529
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
@Road_UK

Dude, what's your problem?
Poor boy exaggerated a bit but it seems like you have some serious problems with the UK motorways. They are really not bad, pity that network is not more extensive.
Due to a bad infrastructure, with overcrowding on all the main motorways (M1, M6, M25) and bad driving, makes the UK one of the worst countries to drive in. Any UK - European driver will tell you that. Services are among the worst in Europe. Any European driver - not being an Anglophile - will tell you that. I've driven in nearly all European nations now - that's my job. I drive with an English or Austrian numberplate - with pride - and got nothing against England as a country. I even live their partly. But when I say that the UK does have the worst motorway network in Europe, then out of my profession I know what I'm talking about. Just like I have a reall problem with the Health and Safety executive in the UK.

Do I have a serious problem with UK motorways? YES!
Old July 1st, 2011, 07:13 PM   #2530
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Due to a bad infrastructure, with overcrowding on all the main motorways (M1, M6, M25) and bad driving, makes the UK one of the worst countries to drive in. Any UK - European driver will tell you that. Services are among the worst in Europe. Any European driver - not being an Anglophile - will tell you that. I've driven in nearly all European nations now - that's my job. I drive with an English or Austrian numberplate - with pride - and got nothing against England as a country. I even live their partly. But when I say that the UK does have the worst motorway network in Europe, then out of my profession I know what I'm talking about. Just like I have a reall problem with the Health and Safety executive in the UK.

Odd how we all see things differently. I think the key problem with the UK motorway network is not the standard of the motorways themselves, but the fact that there are not more of them. British motorways, in terms of design, length of on & off slips, engineering etc., are up there with the best of them (again, in my view...purely subjective). The crowding that you mention on the M1, M6 and M25, for example, is a consequence of too much traffic being filtered along these routes - not the quality of the routes themselves.

The other issue I have to disagree with you on is the standard of driving. We can all find examples to prove a point, I know - but, on balance, I do find the standard of British driving as a whole to be at the more courteous end of the spectrum.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:09 PM   #2531
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:

Its really not that bad. Only at rush hour around cities. M25 at Heathrow is awful at 6pm...but the M1 at Chesterfield at 2pm is fine. I don't think its fair to say the whole network is a bad because a few urban parts get busy...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:10 PM   #2532
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19144

Quote:

Well, I have driven in many European countries too. I really don't see in what way UK motorways are worse than say French or Italian ones.
In each country you have bad and fantastic stretches of road. Some of the older two lane German motorways with its short on/off ramps are a joke. It doesn't mean that German motorways are bad in general (but they are not as fantastic as some people try to boast)
My biggest problem with UK motorways are flimsy crash barriers, but as far as I know they are gradually going to be replaced with concrete ones.

Density of the network is the real issue. UK have ludicrously short network for a country of 62 million people. What helps a bit is fact that most of them are 3 lane wide but still more would be welcomed.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:58 PM   #2533
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

But still on top of that there are around 1200 miles of dual carriageways however most of them are substandard, without hard shoulders, with tight curves and often stuffed with loads of roundabouts instead of ground separated junctions
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:02 AM   #2534
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
The other issue I have to disagree with you on is the standard of driving. We can all find examples to prove a point, I know - but, on balance, I do find the standard of British driving as a whole to be at the more courteous end of the spectrum.
Courteous they may be. But lane discipline among British drivers is shocking as is the use of direction indicators.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:02 AM   #2535
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Courteous they may be. But lane discipline among British drivers is shocking as is the use of direction indicators.
You should try driving in Australia during rush hour. Lane discipline and lack of use of indicators are the norm not the exception as people aggressively jostle for space anywhere they can find it.

It makes British driver look superb by comparison.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:48 AM   #2536
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
That's very true.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM   #2537
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
You should try driving in Australia during rush hour. Lane discipline and lack of use of indicators are the norm not the exception as people aggressively jostle for space anywhere they can find it.

It makes British driver look superb by comparison.
No, you should try driving in South Florida; it's like NASCAR, or the Grand Pricks. Combine aggressive / reckless driving with poor driving and many people who are either uninsured, drunk, or under the influence of a certain white powder, or too old to drive + the regular hit & runs.

Unless driving standards in the UK have slipped over the past decade, driving on the M25 during rush hour, while it's pissing it down with rain would be a picnic compared to the above.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM   #2538
Harry

You mention South Florida...and I think it's fair to say that there are regional variations here as well. London drivers (and Manchester drivers as well, in my experience) will always appear to drive more aggressively than those from more rural and built up locations in the UK. I think the pattern is probably repeated the world over. Get outside of the major metropolitan centres, and people just have a little more time for each other.

I still stand by my central point, however, that on the whole the UK doesn't score that badly at all when it comes to general standards of driving and consideration for other motorists.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:22 PM   #2539
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
You mention South Florida...and I think it's fair to say that there are regional variations here as well. London drivers (and Manchester drivers as well, in my experience) will always appear to drive more aggressively than those from more rural and built up locations in the UK. I think the pattern is probably repeated the world over. Get outside of the major metropolitan centres, and people just have a little more time for each other.

I still stand by my central point, however, that on the whole the UK doesn't score that badly at all when it comes to general standards of driving and consideration for other motorists.
I've driven all over the place and even many large cities vary. Here in the US, I've found San Francisco the easiest big city to drive in, Miami & Orlando the worst. In the UK, drivers in my native West Midlands were among the safest of all big cities (in my opinion), Londoners were just more aggressive for it being such a huge, congested city and the scariest city I've driven in driver-wise would be Glasgow. With regard to South Florida, actually, once you get out of Dade/Broward, I-95 or the Turnpike become just very regular, run of the mill and easy to drive on.

Statistically, the UK is still among the safest places to drive (and to be a pedestrian) in the world. Ireland is up there too. I don't think there's any rocket science to it, but our driving test is very rigorous, our police generally don't play when it comes to motoring offences (at least compared to here, where people have got away with all sorts of shit) and we are less car-centric than many other countries.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:37 PM   #2540
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:

Drivers in London are quite aggressive but they still wave at each other and apologise
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom