daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #2661
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Well, yes - there is not much room for a motorway at Biggleswade and St Neots.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2662
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Off-topic question: how does one pronounce "St Neots"?

Ta!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #2663
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Saint Nee/i-ots

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; August 20th, 2011 at 01:24 AM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #2664
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

St Nieots
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #2665
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7512

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM   #2666
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

I drove through Hindhead the other day and even though I was obviously impressed by the well-needed projected, I was quite disappointed by the 40 mph limit.
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:39 PM   #2667
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Blackminster Polish and Spanish road signs 'broke rules'

Foreign language signs advising migrant workers of a road diversion in Worcestershire have been removed for "health and safety" reasons.

Network Rail is carrying out work on a level crossing in Blackminster.

It was asked by Worcestershire County Council to provide diversion signs in Spanish, Polish and English.

However, they were removed by the Highways Agency which said they did "not meet the prescribed standards for such signs".

Evesham Vale is famous for its soft fruit production and attracts many migrant seasonal workers as fruit pickers, the county council said.

It added: "Local councils at district and parish level as well as businesses in the area requested the signs be put up due to a high number of Polish people living in the area and a number of Spanish businesses.

'Prescribed standards'

"From what we've been told there's a number of lorries and HGVs that travel from Spain to the area and they wanted to ensure the diversion was clear to cut disruption and the potential for vehicles getting lost resulting in queues or delays for motorists in the area."

A spokesman for the Highways Agency said only road signs near ports were displayed in foreign languages in England and Wales.

It said these signs were restricted to speed limit information and drive on the left reminders.

The agency said it had removed the Blackminster diversion signs on Monday.

It said: "Unfortunately the [Blackminster diversion] signs did not meet the prescribed standards for such signs, as set out in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002.

Work is expected to be carried out on the level crossing until 0500 BST on 22 August.
=============

From BBC News
Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2668
sotonsi

Of course, English isn't the official language of England (no language is) and bi-lingual signs in Wales aren't proscribed, but exist anyway.

It's more a case that the Dft weren't informed about the signs beforehand - if they were, they'd probably been OK with it.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:23 PM   #2669
DanielFigFoz

I'm surprised the DfT noticed it
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:13 PM   #2670
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Of course, English isn't the official language of England (no language is) and bi-lingual signs in Wales aren't proscribed, but exist anyway.

It's more a case that the Dft weren't informed about the signs beforehand - if they were, they'd probably been OK with it.
I'm still surprised that someone bothered with putting those signs in the first place. Nice to see someone thinking about my compatriots but in my opinion there is no need. Signs important for safety are pictorial anyway. As for additional information, how about Lithuanians, Slovaks etc? They pick fruits too

Imagine road signs inn London. 200+ languages
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #2671
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I'm surprised the DfT noticed it
Probably someone from an anti-EU party or group complained to them. A few years ago UKIP (the UK independence party, basically anti anything) tore down some signs that displayed distances in metres instead of yards (a yard is 91cm)
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:04 PM   #2672
DanielFigFoz

Ergh bloody UKIP. Last year there was a politics day in my school, they grouped us together and we had to form political parties. One of the members of mine was very racist, so me and a colleague of mine made it very very left wing and pro-European to piss him off.

A BNP style party won the elections, and minority groups went along with some other people cheering them . It was quite a strange sight to see
Old September 3rd, 2011, 12:26 AM   #2673
GCarty

Likes (Received): 6

I think UKIP is in some ways the British equivalent of the US Tea Party movement...
GCarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM   #2674
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
A BNP style party won the elections, and minority groups went along with some other people cheering them . It was quite a strange sight to see
Doesn't give me much hope for Britain's future if British kids see this as the way forward...
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:57 PM   #2675
GCarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
Doesn't give me much hope for Britain's future if British kids see this as the way forward...
I've noticed that anti-immigration sentiment in the British press tends towards the Malthusian ("Britain is full") rather than the xenophobic or racist.

It seems to fit in with what someone wrote years back in this thread -- that many people in Britain think that the country is overdeveloped and that the solution to traffic congestion is fewer people rather than more infrastructure...
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:58 PM   #2676
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

England is rather full, especially Southeast England. They need to settle and develop the Scottish Highlands :p

Plenty of opportunities for motorways around the Loches up there, and tunnels.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM   #2677
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Probably someone from an anti-EU party or group complained to them. A few years ago UKIP (the UK independence party, basically anti anything) tore down some signs that displayed distances in metres instead of yards (a yard is 91cm)
Signs in metres are expressly forbidden by law and the design manuals.

Also UKIP aren't 'anti anything' (they are anti-stuff, but not anti-everything), they are pro-prisons - their manifesto for the general election stated that they would build prisons in order to allow them to double the prison population.

OK, I picked the example that shows them in their worst light (certainly the one that meant I wouldn't vote for them) deliberately there. Their anti-EU stance comes out of their pro-democracy and pro-economic freedom beliefs.
Quote:
Ergh bloody UKIP. Last year there was a politics day in my school, they grouped us together and we had to form political parties. One of the members of mine was very racist, so me and a colleague of mine made it very very left wing and pro-European to piss him off.
The left-wing wouldn't necessarily bother racists (after all the BNP that won your mock election are, in reality, left - it's old Labour with racism and homophobia).

UKIP aren't racist (though it's likely to be the case that a sizeable chunk of members and voters are) - they have nothing against people who aren't British moving to this country - there's some issues over the number of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCarty View Post
I think UKIP is in some ways the British equivalent of the US Tea Party movement...
The Tea Party is a much broader movement - simply a statement on the amount of money flowing through Government (taxation, borrowing and spending), whereas UKIP is more narrow - not least as it's taken an authoritarian stance on law and order.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:38 PM   #2678
GCarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
UKIP aren't racist (though it's likely to be the case that a sizeable chunk of members and voters are) - they have nothing against people who aren't British moving to this country - there's some issues over the number of them.
Although UKIP isn't racist per se, in my view they are fairly clearly Islamophobic. Although they're less extreme than (say) Geert Wilders's PVV in the Netherlands on that score, that's still the main reason why I wouldn't vote for them, even though they're the only major party which rejects the Green agenda as far as energy generation goes...
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2679
ed110220

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCarty View Post
I've noticed that anti-immigration sentiment in the British press tends towards the Malthusian ("Britain is full") rather than the xenophobic or racist.

It seems to fit in with what someone wrote years back in this thread -- that many people in Britain think that the country is overdeveloped and that the solution to traffic congestion is fewer people rather than more infrastructure...
There is some truth in it though in my opinion. With less population density there are many advantages, such as lower housing prices/larger houses, housing with on-site parking rather than on-street parking, it is easier to build roads etc... If London had been an American city it would have a whole network of motorways already... perhaps even an urban forest like Atlanta.

Think of the reasons why many Brits move to Australia and part of the reason is the higher quality of life that goes with less overcrowding. I'm not saying that infrastructure and quality of life can't go with high population densities, but it is definitely more difficult and more expensive.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #2680
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
There is some truth in it though in my opinion. With less population density there are many advantages, such as lower housing prices/larger houses, housing with on-site parking rather than on-street parking, it is easier to build roads etc... If London had been an American city it would have a whole network of motorways already... perhaps even an urban forest like Atlanta.

Think of the reasons why many Brits move to Australia and part of the reason is the higher quality of life that goes with less overcrowding. I'm not saying that infrastructure and quality of life can't go with high population densities, but it is definitely more difficult and more expensive.
It's not quite that straight forward and many Poms will be surprised by what they find here.

Whilst Aus may have 22 mil. people (give or take a few hundred thousand) in an area the size of Europe, most of them happen to crowd into five very urbanised areas. As these are seen as desirable places to live, land is at a premium and house prices are very high. In fact all told, I read very recently that Sydney and Melbourne are now the world's most expensive places to live. You get a lot of house for your money (Aus builds on average the world's largest houses) but you still have to pay for it.

Furthermore, urban motorways in Aus are now mostly built underground: whether it be the new Clem Tunnel in Brissie, or the one they're building to the airport; the subterranean motorway to Sydney airport, or the just-built cross town motorway just south of Sydney's CBD, Aussies don't want their cities criss-crossed with visually intrusive road schemes any more than anywhere else.

If you want new urban motorways in the UK, I can't help feeling this is how you will have to build them although Glasgow appears to be an exception.

'Quality of Life' is relative to what you consider your priorities. Yes there are wide open spaces here where you can get away from people, but Aus is one of the world's most urbanised countries, so those wide open spaces are clearly not a priority for most people here.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom