daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #2701
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Havin gone to Yorkshire and back down to Stevenage yesterday, it is nice to see that lane discipline in this country is the very best in Europe. They all drive on the right!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2702
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Havin gone to Yorkshire and back down to Stevenage yesterday, it is nice to see that lane discipline in this country is the very best in Europe. They all drive on the right!
In general terms, I find British drivers to be among the most considerate and courteous in Europe. But when it comes to lane discipline, you have really got a point. It's shocking. So bad, in fact, that some sort of public information campaign could be considered.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #2703
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7478

I suppose that's caused by high rates of traffic. With so much cars and everybody driving on the left lane, the average speed wouldn't be much higher than a desert convoy.
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #2704
PortoNuts

Old September 17th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #2705
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
In general terms, I find British drivers to be among the most considerate and courteous in Europe. But when it comes to lane discipline, you have really got a point. It's shocking. So bad, in fact, that some sort of public information campaign could be considered.
Could be? Should be. Should have been done a long time ago. Do like the Germans do, and put posters up of an elephant on the overtaking lane, with traffic stacking up behind it...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #2706
PortoNuts

Quote:
Charging network expands along M4 and M42

Electric car drivers can now travel between Bristol, Birmingham and London along the M4 and M42, safe in the knowledge that they can stop and recharge along the way.

Green energy supplier, Ecotricity has now installed new charging points at Welcome Break services along the two motorways, as part of its plans to build an ‘electric highway’ network at service stations on the M25/M1, M40, M4 and M5.

Every single one of the firm’s charging points will be powered by electricity from its own windmill and solar farms dotted around the country-making the electricity supplied truly green -allowing the cars that charge from them to be truly zero emission.

Five motorway ‘top-up zones’ have now been installed at Welcome Break motorway services, including:

· Hopwood Park services (M42 at junction 2)

· Membury services (M4 between London and Bristol – between J14 and J15)

· South Mimms services (M25 and M1 junction)

· Michaelwood services (M5 between Bristol and Birmingham)

· Oxford services (M40 between London and Birmingham – junction 8a at Oxford)

A sixth ‘top-up zone’ is also located at the base of an Ecotricity windmill:

· Green Park windmill (M4 near Reading)

Twelve ‘top-up-zones’ will soon be located at motorway services around the country to complete the first phase of the network. Each post will be located outside the main entrance of Welcome Break, with two sockets that can be accessed by registering for a free swipe-card. Within 18 months, all 27 Welcome Break motorway services across Britain will have charging points.

Electric cars using rapid recharge points (32A supply) can top-up in just 20 minutes or fully charge in two hours; while those using the slower (13A supply) will be able to recharge fully if staying overnight at motorway service hotels.

With world oil prices going through the roof, you’ll now be able to get around Britain using only the power of the wind. It costs just over 1p a mile for electric vehicles, compared to 15.4p in a petrol car (at today’s prices).

The UK consumes around 23 million tonnes of oil every year in the UK to do the 250 billion miles we drive every year. But we could power all that with 12,000 of today’s windmills, or just 6,000 of tomorrow’s.”

http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/...ng-m4-and-m42/
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #2707
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

An interesting crossing at the end of the M876

From Pathetic Motorways
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #2708
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

I don't think I have seen a better traffic information page than Traffic England...

http://www.trafficengland.com/index.aspx?ct=true
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #2709
niterider
niterider

Having just spent some time on the Spanish network, I can't help but notice that on the sections which reach high traffic volumes, particularly of HGVs, buses etc, the level of middle-land drivers increased greatly. Their network has the luxury of so much more capacity and less traffic and lane disciple seems better because people don't have an endless line of trucks and buses on the outside lane.
In the UK, outside of the busier sections of the motorway network, I also notice that lane disciple increases greatly. (And it doesn't exist at all on the M25!).

Basically, I think people just get fed up here because the moment you move into the left lane you get boxed between lorrys on the busier sections of motorway, particularly the M25 and surrounds. The U.K desperately needs more motorway - filling in of gaps and shockingly, some new routes.
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM   #2710
PortoNuts

With so much cars, they spread evenly between the left and middle lane, leaving just one faster lane. I can't imagine how slow it would get if everyone followed the lane rules in these situations.
Old September 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #2711
DanielFigFoz

Today I went to Bicester and took some photos for the people who haven't been to the UK. On the following photos are the M25 and M40

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The M4 down below

Leaving the the M25 for the M40

Its a pretty long sliproad

100 to Birmingham

two lanes through a junction

The beginning of the Stokenchurch Gap, which you might recognise from the opening credits to the Vicar of Dibley (I'm thinking of Penn here who likes British programmes)

Shame that the view doesn't really come up well in the photo

A sign that reminds be of Belgium that indicated our exit:

The A34 towards Oxford

And the A41 towards Bicester

Old September 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #2712
Ctbarn1

Nice pics of the M25/M40. The A34 junction with the M40 should really be free flowing rather than a roundabout. I hardly ever use the A43/A34 route to the south coast, but when i do you can guarentee that, there will be a queue there certainly Northbound. Lane discipline is terrible everywhere not just the M25. I think its the worse on the most quiet motorways when you get middle lane drivers, that just sit there. The few times i have used the M25 it seems to be more like a freeway in America then anything else - certainly after the usual queue from the M40-M3, as everyone races to get to their destination after what seems like a 3 week delay.
Ctbarn1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #2713
Ctbarn1

...and re the electric car network. Electric cars are pointless. I think my opinion on electric cars is heavily influenced by a decade watching TopGear. They are not green because they get power from the grid - in the UK thats dominated by Coal and Gas. The best innovation for fuel technology i think is Honda's Hydrogen powered car. Again i know that uses fuel from the grid to produce Hydrogen, but ive seen a recent article saying they can get Hydrogen from special bacteria. The only barrier of course is world politics and the major oil companies.

On a different note, i love the tag for this forum...Nimby Land. How true. Not motorways i know, but take the proposal for High Speed 2, everyone wants it, just nobody wants it going near them. As a qualified Town Planner, that is very typical of this country as a whole.
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #2714
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Great pics of the M25 & M40. Being a former West Midlands resident with family and business in London, I drove this route many times.

Interesting how signage has changed somewhat:

Like the US, it seems that the UK now let's you know what retailers & restaurants you can find at a service station, rather than just "Services". Is this a recent thing, bearing in mind I haven't been back for over 9 years?
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #2715
DanielFigFoz

I think that the M25 is to wide and too busy for lane discipline.

As for the service station thing, I have no idea. I think that there have been both signs saying "services" and signs with knives and forks etc. for a long time but I may be wrong
Old September 25th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #2716
sotonsi

The service area operators all tweaked their names so as to show a brand they have. Other than that, the signs haven't changed.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #2717
GCarty

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctbarn1 View Post
Electric cars are pointless. I think my opinion on electric cars is heavily influenced by a decade watching TopGear. They are not green because they get power from the grid - in the UK thats dominated by Coal and Gas. The best innovation for fuel technology i think is Honda's Hydrogen powered car. Again i know that uses fuel from the grid to produce Hydrogen, but ive seen a recent article saying they can get Hydrogen from special bacteria. The only barrier of course is world politics and the major oil companies.
Electric cars may not be in themselves a solution to the problem of climate change (although they would, if we replaced our coal- and gas-fired power stations with nuclear ones a la France). They are on the other hand a good response to the Peak Oil threat, as almost none of our electricity is now generated using oil.

As for hydrogen, that's just a con in my view. Most hydrogen is currently produced from gas, and using such hydrogen as a fuel is lunacy as it would be far more efficient to just burn gas directly (and methane also has a higher density, a higher boiling point and less leakage problems than hydrogen).
GCarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2718
Ctbarn1

I think Nuclear Power is probably the one thing more unpopular than Motorways, hence why when the government announced the replacement of the current plants, they were all located (or i think they were all located) close or next present plants.
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #2719
GCarty

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctbarn1 View Post
I think Nuclear Power is probably the one thing more unpopular than Motorways, hence why when the government announced the replacement of the current plants, they were all located (or i think they were all located) close or next present plants.
Not really, we're not Germany you know! It just makes sense to build new power stations (of whatever type) close to existing ones, so that you can re-use the existing transmission lines instead of having to build new ones.
GCarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #2720
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
"just 20 minutes" to top off! Does that get you any farther than the next top-off point? The Top Gear where Jeremy and James tour, and spend the night in, Lincoln because they were out of juice just aired last night here.

Seriously, electric cars will never make a dent in oil consumption, except for people who only use them to get to work or do local errands, if they can't get past this issue.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom