daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #2721
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Daniel, nice pix! (Hadn't been to this thread in a few days.)

Now, a signage point:

In the drive-a-Leaf-to-Cleethorpes-in-just-two-days episode of Top Gear, I was surprised to see a sign that just had the number "A46." (In yellow, on a green background, with a white border.) That's what I think of as an American-style route marker; I thought "reassurance markers" in Europe usually, if not always, had the route number at the head of a list of destinations with distances.

Is that unusual?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #2722
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

No, not exactly, in the UK you do get those, especially on primary A-roads, but they're not very common. Those other signs you mention aren't exactly for reassurance but to be able to see the distances.

However, in the UK at the start of a motorway and when a slip road joins a motorway (they put the sign on the slip road) you go get these:

You do get reassurance markers on the bicycle network:

DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #2723
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Old September 27th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #2724
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCarty View Post
Not really, we're not Germany you know! It just makes sense to build new power stations (of whatever type) close to existing ones, so that you can re-use the existing transmission lines instead of having to build new ones.
Also, if the sites were good for nuclear power stations 40 years ago or so, the chances are they are still going to be good places to build them today, because the geology etc won't have changed.

Germany was foolish to abandon its nuclear industry because of the Fukushima accident. A natural disaster like that is practically inconceivable in Europe, and if it did happen the destruction would be so great we'd be far more worried about all the coastal towns and cities being washed away than any nuclear accident.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #2725
DanielFigFoz

I noticed this sign a junction after the end of the M6, such an office no longer exists

http://maps.google.com/?ll=54.999729...312.65,,1,2.49

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; September 28th, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #2726
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I noticed this sign a junction after the end of the M6, such an office no longer exists
Couldn't find anything for the M6, but did find the following for the A19:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/5283.aspx

From the Stockton-On-Tees Borough Council site:

Maintenance of A19 and A66

The A19 and A66 (from A19 - Teesside Park Interchange) is maintained by Autolink on behalf of the Highways Agency.
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2727
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
Also, if the sites were good for nuclear power stations 40 years ago or so, the chances are they are still going to be good places to build them today, because the geology etc won't have changed.
This isn't always the case. Dungeness plant was built on the side of the peninsula that's being eroded. Lorries have to regularly dump millions of tonnes of gravel along the shore to stop it being washed away. Weird when you consider that the other side of the point in St.Mary's Bay is a zone of deposition..
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #2728
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

An increase in the motorway speed limit to 80mph has been discussed previously, but now looks like it's actually going to happen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...t-raised-80mph
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #2729
DanielFigFoz

If that happens I wonder if the speed limit on other dual carriageways will also be increased to 80 or remain at 70
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #2730
Ctbarn1

I saw that they were actually thinking about raising it to 80mph on itv news as well.

I have mixed reactions. Yes everyone does 75-80mph anyway, so might as well make it legal. But then theres the arguement of increased pollution, using more fuel and safety all legit.

For me its more an issue of would people who were doing inside 110% of the speed limit (what they give you for speed camera's), start doing 90mph instead?

As a motorist, i think probably. So it should either stay the same, or like Germany have no speed limit restrictions on safer sections of the network and lower speed limits around conurbations.
Ctbarn1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #2731
Harry

I tend to agree. Unless the increase in the speed limit is also accompanied by an increased level of enforcement, it will send out the message that driving at 85mph-90mph will be tolerated - and I think that would be pushing it a bit. The unwritten understanding at the moment that, while the legal limit is 70mph, the police will look the other way if you're not driving like an idiot and keeping to 80mph or less works rather well...in a very British, muddled sort of way.
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #2732
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Preliminary results from the Dutch 130 km/h trials show that the V85 does not increase by another 10 km/h. 70 miles per hour is pretty slow, especially on the UK motorways which have a generally superb alignment (thank the 1970's for that). 70 miles per hour is likely lower than the design speed, which means it's not a credible speed limit. 75 or 80 mph fits better. People won't sudden drive 10 mph faster if the speed limit increases by 10 mph, that's just anti-car brigade rhetoric.

I don't expect much actual change, apart from a decline of motorway speeding tickets. The doomsday scenarios about the increased fuel consumption and emissions are grossly exaggerated. All the roundabouts in dual carriageways increase fuel consumption far more than a V85 that increases by a few miles.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #2733
DanielFigFoz

I doubt that there will be a decline in speeding tickets, as you can get to maybe 85 and the police won't even look at you
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #2734
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they designed the motorways in England, they used railway lines as a template for grade and alignment. Those were designed for 100mph, and to be honest, I believe that could be done on motorways too. Not for any driver though.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #2735
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

I think the UK really need to have higher speed than 70 miles per hour. When I had used the motorways in the UK, I think many of them are built for speeds at least 140 km/h. For example parts of the M4 and M6 are built for that speeds.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #2736
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
People won't sudden drive 10 mph faster if the speed limit increases by 10 mph, that's just anti-car brigade rhetoric.

I don't expect much actual change, apart from a decline of motorway speeding tickets.
That is an interesting point, and it will be fascinating to see how this actually plays out in the UK (and whether experience here mirrors that in the Netherlands). A couple of further points occured to me.

Firstly, I assume that HGVs are still going to be limited to 56 mph - in which case the legal differential between driving speeds for HGVs and other vehicles is going to widen significantly.

And secondly, I think that this may actually improve the generally poor standards of lane discipline in the UK (discussed in recent weeks on this thread). At present, many drivers will sit in lane 2 of a 3 or 4 lane motorway at 70 mph-75 mph, but this will be much harder in future. Drivers who wish to drive at that speed will feel a greater pressure to stay in the inside lane - or risk the ire of their fellow motorists. Time will tell.
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #2737
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

In my point of view, introducing a 75 or 80 mph speed limit is mostly legalizing an already existing situation.

The fact that the police won't pull you over doing 10 - 15 mph over the limit says enough. Only speed cameras don't make that distinction.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #2738
DanielFigFoz

People can speed down easily for the cameras, and they won't flash you for doing 80. On the Great West Road in West London, the limit is 40 but you don't get flashed until 55 or so
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #2739
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7467

Quote:
'Most drivers' speed on motorway

The majority of motorists in the UK exceed the motorway speed limit of 70 mph, a new survey reveals.

According to the study by Autocar, almost 95% of drivers speed on motorways, with most interested in reaching their destination more quickly than environmental issues. People could risk higher car insurance premiums because of speeding convictions.

The survey was conducted as the Government announced that it is considering to raise the 70 mph speed limit on the motorway. Some 41.5% of respondents supported the Government's plan.

However, 19.3% said the coalition's green credential's would be harmed by raising the speed limit. Only 3.5% of people said they never exceed the 70 mph limit, while 1.9% said they were not sure as to whether they had broken the limit.

Jim Holder, Autocar editor said: "With such a high proportion of motorists breaking the speed limit, it seems that Prime Minister David Cameron looking at raising the motorway speed limit will be popular with the motorist.

"However, if David Cameron wants a real vote winner, he'd be better off putting something back in motorists' hard hit pockets by cutting fuel duty."
http://www.rac.co.uk/news-advice/mot...d-on-motorway/
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #2740
sotonsi

In an almost unbelievable event, 2 miles of motorway opened in England yesterday - the A1(M) between Dishforth (49) and Baldersby (50). One expects the opening ceremony to happen when the whole scheme to Leeming is open, though the M80 this summer didn't really have one.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom