daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #2761
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
A few, but not that many, mainly old people
I tend to agree more with flierfy, to tell the truth. I think 130kph/80mph is far from the norm - especially during the last few years where a lot of drivers are watching their fuel economy more than they used to.

Try sitting in the inside lane at 70mph. Not easy. You will need to move in to the middle lane to overtake before long. Yes - some people drive consistently at 80mph or above (when traffic conditions allow, obviously) - but I would say they're in a minority.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #2762
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Then again, I'm from London, and Londoners are hardly the best of drivers, I've seen it impossible to go at 70 on the M25 sometimes, because the flow is faster
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #2763
sotonsi

The M1 through the Watford Gap is another road where traffic is heavy, but very much flowing and you either do 56 behind some lorry, or 85+ with little safe wriggle room in between.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #2764
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

I think a lot of drivers are not that well informed about the extra fuel costs of driving faster, and if they were they might not do it as much. So I think maybe alongside raising the speed limit for those prepared to pay extra for fuel, there should be more information to help people make an informed decision.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #2765
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

The biggest killer of fuel economy is driving that involves having to slow down and speed up, and worse - stop-start conditions. This can be worse than just cruising at 75-80 mph. Personally, I prefer to cruise along at a steady 65-70 mph which I find to be a good balance between speed and economy using the inside lane when I can. If I anticipate a need to overtake and if there's traffic approaching on the next lane, usually I'll allow the traffic to pass if I know I don't have to slow down too much and I can change lanes after without blocking faster traffic.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #2766
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Roundabouts in dual carriageways and the lack of motorways in some cities is a much worse problem for fuel economy than driving a few miles faster during free-flow conditions.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #2767
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Roundabouts in dual carriageways ... is a much worse problem for fuel economy ...
So you'd like to have signal controlled crossroads instead?
Old October 18th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #2768
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No, you?
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2769
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfreelancealot View Post
The biggest killer of fuel economy is driving that involves having to slow down and speed up, and worse - stop-start conditions. This can be worse than just cruising at 75-80 mph. Personally, I prefer to cruise along at a steady 65-70 mph which I find to be a good balance between speed and economy using the inside lane when I can. If I anticipate a need to overtake and if there's traffic approaching on the next lane, usually I'll allow the traffic to pass if I know I don't have to slow down too much and I can change lanes after without blocking faster traffic.
If everyone drove like you, motorways and other major routes would flow so much more freely than they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
So you'd like to have signal controlled crossroads instead?
I think Chris was advocating more grade separation, not more crossroads.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #2770
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Roundabouts in dual carriageways and the lack of motorways in some cities is a much worse problem for fuel economy than driving a few miles faster during free-flow conditions.
Those roundabouts aren't as bad as they look. You have to do a driving tour of the UK one day
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #2771
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Those roundabouts aren't as bad as they look. You have to do a driving tour of the UK one day
Not as bad as they look? Try driving through those many roundabouts on the A27 near Chichester where AADT is 40k+ and then tell me that they aren't as bad as they look.
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #2772
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20303

It depends on the road, on reasonably quiet dual carriageways they are fine but on very busy routes they just cause congestion and should be really be replaced with flyovers in time.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 05:27 PM   #2773
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
It depends on the road, on reasonably quiet dual carriageways they are fine but on very busy routes they just cause congestion and should be really be replaced with flyovers in time.
The A1231 Wessington Way into Sunderland is a dual carriageway with a chain of roundabouts. The dual carriageway has a 70mph speed limit, but since the roundabouts are spaced as close as a quarter of a mile between each other and at best 1 mile the roundabouts cause a lot of accelerating from each roundabout and braking towards the next roundabout. This kills fuel economy, so it's better to accelerate up to a more moderate speed (say 50 mph) and ease off to minimise braking towards the next roundabout. However, at peak times, even reaching 50mph is a wish, as the roundabouts, especially the A19/A1231 causes long queues.

Unfortunately roundabouts are congestion causers if a) there's simply too much traffic on the same road, or b) if there's a dominant flow at a main roundabout that reduces the opportunity for traffic on other main roads to enter the roundabout. The typical UK solution is to stick a forest of lights up and hope for the best but this tends to be a "designer congestion" measure than anything else. Ideally grade separation is the best solution, but for obvious reasons its difficult to achieve if the road in question is constrained by exisiting development. There's no excuse in more open areas, yet the powers that be seem still like to build new routes with roundabouts and traffic lights when its blatantly obvious that grade separation is the answer. The road gets built, opened, then the new roundabouts/lights become famous on traffic reports for the chaos they cause.

Roundabouts are the lesser evil compared to traffic lights though. You know when you're approaching a roundabout that you have to slow down and be prepared to give way, but you know that when its quiet you'll have a decent chance of not having to come to a complete stop. With traffic lights, you always have to be prepared to stop if the lights turn red. I don't know if its just me but I always feel that the lights always turn to red as I'm approaching the junction at the point where I have to brake quite firmly, hardly at a time where I'm further back and can afford to ease off the pedal and let the car drift towards the junction and hopefully get a green as I near the stop-line. In the UK we do seem to have pathetically short green phases - frustrating when you're at the back of a long queue and see the lights at the front let out say 2-3 cars only.

Another good thing about roundabouts takes me back to the A1231. That stretch, when it is quiet, thanks to the 70mph speed limit, allows me to legally perform the occassional "Italian Tune-up" - accelerate hard from one roundabout to the next, through the rev range, up through the gears and brake hard for the next roundabout and repeat....does a good job of clearing any crap from the engine and keeping the brakes clean too! Its always good to do that once in a while if you adopt a smooth driving style for too long or do too much stop-start driving.

Last edited by sirfreelancealot; October 21st, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #2774
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Tomorrow (October 29) it's exactly 25 years ago the M25 was finished and opened by Thatcher.

Old October 28th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #2775
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #2776
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Gan on Maggie lass! Best PM we've had since Churchill. Pity she didn't realise how much money the treasury could've made by charging people to park there.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #2777
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Wasn't she (they) talking about a dual six lane M25?
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #2778
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post

Shame there were no cars going at 80mph in the fast lane in 1986 to mow her down.

Evil bitch.
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #2779
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

I remember the M25 being built very well and even as a kid, I was very excited the first time my parents drove on it, in my dad's Vauxhall Astra on the way to Kent from Luton (at the time, it terminated/began where it meets the A1 at Potters Bar). Although I generally prefer public transport (where applicable), I miss the road building days of the 80's and early 90's, which saw the M25 and M42 motorways get built and the M40 extended from Oxford to the West Midlands. Now new schemes are badly needed (they were a decade ago, when I still lived there). Widening existing motorways often doesn't really help and can make matters worse, by creating bottlenecks and increasing the amount of lane changing, which causes traffic in itself.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2780
DanielFigFoz

I just watched a programme on the BBC about the M25

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom