daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #2821
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
I'm wondering when they will start works on linking Doncaster (A1 (M)) with Robin Hood Airport)
Hopefully soon! The airport needs it! But the airport is also struggling with low usage! It may close in a few years

They need a new big airport nearer to Sheffield!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #2822
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7486

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Hopefully soon! The airport needs it! But the airport is also struggling with low usage! It may close in a few years

They need a new big airport nearer to Sheffield!
Competition is fierce from Manchester and Leeds Airport. Sheffield would need more destinations.
Old December 1st, 2011, 01:19 AM   #2823
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
Infrastructure is not stupid although touching pension fund sounds... hmm kinda desperate.
The touch will only reduce the funds with less than it earns from interests in a year, so I’m guessing it will hold on pretty strong. Our biggest problem is that there are very few "let’s just stick the shovel in the ground and get on with it"-projects.

Then again, some process that will reduce the governments yearly administrative costs by NOK 9bn is under development. Those extra money will probably not go to improved infrastructure, but they could build ≈ 90 km motorway every year...
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #2824
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The British motorway turns 53 years today. On December 5th, 1958, the Preston Bypass opened to traffic. It is currently the M6 motorway.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #2825
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The British motorway turns 53 years today. On December 5th, 1958, the Preston Bypass opened to traffic. It is currently the M6 motorway.
Happy birthday M6!

It seems that the opening of the Preston Bypass is quite a well marked historical event in Britain, but is the equivalent true of other countries? Are their first motorways opening remembered? Is Britain unique in remembering this milestone?

I have seen absolutely nothing from the time about the opening of the first freeway in South Africa, which one it was, when etc. Ron2K thinks it was what is now the M13 in Kloof, Durban in the mid 1950s and he's probably right, but I've never seen anything published about it.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #2826
sotonsi

They did a plaque and delayed the official opening of the Carlisle-Guards Mill section for the 50th anniversary (so the M6 took exactly 50 years to build), but other than a 25-year ceremony, that's all the official celebrations there's been.

Other than that, it's a few road enthusiasts. I, myself, genuinely forgot today - it's not a big thing at all.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #2827
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Sometimes it's not clear which was exactly the first motorway. For instance, Italy had many Autostrade built in the 1920's and 1930's, but none of them were really motorway standard until 1958 or something. Same for Germany, where the AVUS is often cited, but it was a racetrack at first. In the United States, numerous roads where firsts, starting with the parkways in the New York area. The Merrit Parkway in Connecticut is often considered the first true freeway-standard road.

Next year the Dutch motorway turns 75.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #2828
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17487

First small yellow sign i saw out of Brazil
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #2829
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Those roundabouts aren't as bad as they look. You have to do a driving tour of the UK one day
You're right, they're not as bad as they look. They are a lot worse! Try driving from Lowestoft to Yorkshire... 1000+ roundabouts!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #2830
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

You see what I mean??? You see that dickhead in the overtaking lane??? These are the bastards that makes it impossible to drive properly in the UK today!
Old December 15th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2831
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Hang on a minute...how do you know that the car in the outside lane has not just passed a car in the middle lane that's just out of shot? I'd say it's not only possible, but quite likely. It's equally conceivable that there could be a speed differential between the middle and outside lanes that would result in the car in the outside lane reaching the next car in the middle lane in a matter of seconds. Perhaps he just pulled out in good time to pass this car, having first checked his mirrors to ascertain that he would not be impeding other vehicles coming up behind. Or given that he's just passed the on slip at a junction, maybe a car joining the motorway was about to pull out in to the middle lane...so the chap in the outside lane decided to play safe and move over. The truth is - you just don't know.

I have agreed with your general point on previous occasions that lane discipline on British motorways and dual carriageways is poor. But sometimes folk are too quick to point the finger. That single photo simply does not give you enough info to make a judgement about the actions of the driver in the outside lane, let alone call him a dickhead.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #2832
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You see what I mean??? You see that dickhead in the overtaking lane??? These are the bastards that makes it impossible to drive properly in the UK today!
Driving standards have certainly slipped in the UK in the last decade. I was quite shocked at how much more aggressive drivers seemed, especially with the tailgating and lane hogging. I guess driving standards have slipped since I passed my driving test back in 1993.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #2833
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Driving standards have certainly slipped in the UK in the last decade. I was quite shocked at how much more aggressive drivers seemed, especially with the tailgating and lane hogging. I guess driving standards have slipped since I passed my driving test back in 1993.
Let me paraphrase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Driving standards have are certainly slipped more crowded in the UK in the last decade, as they are in many other countries. I was quite shocked at how much more aggressive drivers seemed, especially with the tailgating and lane hogging. I guess driving standards have slipped since I passed my driving test back in 1993.
No one is pretending that the UK is a panacea in terms of driving safety but, equally, to pretend that it's a specially case in terms of dangerous driving or difficult driving conditions is completely false. Mortality statistics remain amongst the most favourable in the developed world.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2834
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Let me paraphrase.

No one is pretending that the UK is a panacea in terms of driving safety but, equally, to pretend that it's a specially case in terms of dangerous driving or difficult driving conditions is completely false. Mortality statistics remain amongst the most favourable in the developed world.
Agreed.

Anybody who thinks British drivers are bad should try commuting in one of Australia's bigger cities. If you haven't got white knuckles first time you try it, then you've probably got your eyes closed.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #2835
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Let me paraphrase.

(...)

I found drivers in Britain (I mean: between Dover & Luton ) far less aggressive than here in the Île-de-France region. Maybe they're not as "cool" as they were the previous times I went to England (in terms of courtesy, for instance), but they seem to be far less frustrated than French drivers.

That's quite paradoxical as England is twice as much populated than France & parking in the Greater London area is even worse than in the Paris region. But driving is cooler. (Almost) no one horns you with no reason and you don't feel like the police is there only to put speed traps & fines the way you can feel it here.

I mean: British motorways are crowded, but quite wide. You have a 70mph limit, but more tolerance than here. In France, the tolerance is 5% over a 100km/h (so you can drive until 136 for a standard motorway limit), which is VERY frustrating because we pay VERY big money to use these beautiful autoroutes & ADDITIONALLY there are a lot of cops & gendarmes waiting for us behind some woods, bridges to take more money from us !

So having such beautiful motorways (the standard of which is close to Germany's Autobahnen & pay for the very hgih toll rates to watch your speedometer nonstop is just horrible ! Not counting people who drive on the left all the time (especially in metropolitan areas) because "[they] abide by it, so everybody must abide by it" forgetting he basic rules (like going back to the slower lanes, using their blinkers & mirrors).

At least - & fortunately for you guys - British roads are hardly tolled... & to me British drivers are much better than the French. What Road_UK described up there seems to be much less frequent in the UK than here.

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; December 16th, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #2836
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20280

The Southeast is usually the worst part of the country I find for driver rudeness, tailgating, not letting people out or waving them past etc.

Drivers are generally quite pleasant and courteous in the less packed parts of the country.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #2837
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
I found drivers in Britain (I mean: between Dover & Luton ) far less aggressive than here in the Île-de-France region. Maybe they're not as "cool" as they were the previous times I went to England (in terms of courtesy, for instance), but they seem to be far less frustrated than French drivers.

That's quite paradoxical as England is twice as much populated than France & parking in the Greater London area is even worse than in the Paris region. But driving is cooler. (Almost) no one horns you with no reason and you don't feel like the police is there only to put speed traps & fines the way you can feel it here.

I mean: British motorways are crowded, but quite wide. You have a 70mph limit, but more tolerance than here. In France, the tolerance is 5% over a 100km/h (so you can drive until 136 for a standard motorway limit), which is VERY frustrating because we pay VERY big money to use these beautiful autoroutes & ADDITIONALLY there are a lot of cops & gendarmes waiting for us behind some woods, bridges to take more money from us !

So having such beautiful motorways (the standard of which is close to Germany's Autobahnen & pay for the very hgih toll rates to watch your speedometer nonstop is just horrible ! Not counting people who drive on the left all the time (especially in metropolitan areas) because "[they] abide by it, so everybody must abide by it" forgetting he basic rules (like going back to the slower lanes, using their blinkers & mirrors).

At least - & fortunately for you guys - British roads are hardly tolled... & to me British drivers are much better than the French. What Road_UK described up there seems to be much less frequent in the UK than here.
No, trust me: lane discipline is far worse in the UK then it is in France. With exceptions of the Paris and Lille regions, the French drive rather well, since Chirac opened his war on dangerous driving. I drive in both countries equally as much in a van for my living (as well as Germany and the whole of Europe) - and I find driving in France a pleasure - even in more crowded areas. I hate driving in the UK (so do all of my UK colleagues).
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #2838
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Personally I hate driving on French autoroutes because of the radars everywhere. The U.K. is much more pleasant for this, but on the other hand it's overcrowded.

But I agree with you in one point: the Île-de-France region & the Lille area are particularly bad in terms of lane discipline.

Btw, Road_UK, what kind of areas do you drive in the UK ? (except Greater London & the Southeast ?)

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #2839
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post

Personally I hate driving on French autoroutes because of the radars everywhere.
Cruise control. Makes driving to a strict limit much less stressful. However it can be irritating when everyone else keeps speeding up and slowing down. However in the right conditions this can be quite amusing, you overtake everyone uphill and they pass you going down.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #2840
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
No, trust me: lane discipline is far worse in the UK then it is in France. With exceptions of the Paris and Lille regions, the French drive rather well, since Chirac opened his war on dangerous driving. I drive in both countries equally as much in a van for my living (as well as Germany and the whole of Europe) - and I find driving in France a pleasure - even in more crowded areas. I hate driving in the UK (so do all of my UK colleagues).
My experience is just about the same. I consider British drivers very good and polite but only as long as they drive on single carriageways and within built-up areas. On motorways they are just pain in the ar*se. I just cannot understand what is a reason for driving 60 miles an hour on outside lane on 4 lanes stretches of M25 whilst all other lanes are clear for 1 mile ahead. In my opinion French are much more advanced motorways' drivers.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom