daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #2841
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

Driving is UK in general is pretty good. Things only get stressful when the roads get busy. More the most stressful motorway to drive on is the M62 across the hills...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #2842
Jackson1234

Likes (Received): 0

As a recently qualified driver, I don't find British motorways particularly stressful to drive on, though I find the M4/M5 around Bristol to be fairly difficult to negotiate... lots of lane-changing and high traffic volumes :P
Jackson1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #2843
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Driving is UK in general is pretty good. Things only get stressful when the roads get busy. More the most stressful motorway to drive on is the M62 across the hills...
When they get busy, you've got the feeling there's nowhere to go !

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:24 PM   #2844
UK86
UK86

Likes (Received): 32

It depends where you are and what part of the country your driving in. Motorways around the big cities can be stressful and you start to notice the traffic build up on your approach. However some motorways are great like the M6 Toll, its virtually always free of traffic build up and is a great relaxing, smooth drive, aside from the fact its a toll road.
UK86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2845
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Haven't tried M6 yet, but I think you understood I had mostly the M25 & the A2 'inside M25' part in mind

M20 and M1 to Derby are quite relaxing to drive on, as well as A2/M2 Dover/Canterbury to M25.

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #2846
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post

Btw, Road_UK, what kind of areas do you drive in the UK ? (except Greater London & the Southeast ?)
All areas between Dover and Scotland, most frequent: M20, M25, M1, M40, M6, M62 and A1 (M).

In France: All areas. Most frequent: All roads leading to Mont Blanc and Spain, as well as Normandy (from Calais)

Germany: All areas - most frequent: Aachen/Venlo towards Austria, Ruhrgebiet and Hannover. I live in Austria, but also have a place in the UK, and work for a UK company doing express deliveries all over Europe in a van.

Belgium and Holland: All areas. I'm a Dutch citizen.

And being half English, but with my Europe experience - I still find the UK one of the worst places to drive in.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #2847
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
My experience is just about the same. I consider British drivers very good and polite but only as long as they drive on single carriageways and within built-up areas. On motorways they are just pain in the ar*se. I just cannot understand what is a reason for driving 60 miles an hour on outside lane on 4 lanes stretches of M25 whilst all other lanes are clear for 1 mile ahead. In my opinion French are much more advanced motorways' drivers.
I actually wonder that, since the french motorways are just way less crowded than the British ones. In France you also quite often see people driving awfully slow (like 70 - 80 km/h) on 130km/h motorways, but since there's less traffic there's also less annoyment for other traffic. (and thus less aggression)

In terms of equal traffic flows it might be better to compare the UK (or at least England) with countries like Belgium, the Netherlands or maybe even germany. Imo UK drivers are winning in that comparison.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #2848
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Hey guys, I have question about car insurance. So far I only drove cars rented on my name so I never worried about that.
Can you borrow other people's private vehicle and drive it? Is it car which is insured or owner/driver? My house-mate have a car and I'm not sure if I can legally drive it.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #2849
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes you can, but your housemate has to phone the insurance company first, and give them your name. If it's only temporary, like a week or so, it shouldn't cost more then 5 pounds. That's all.
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #2850
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes you can, but your housemate has to phone the insurance company first, and give them your name. If it's only temporary, like a week or so, it shouldn't cost more then 5 pounds. That's all.
Thanks.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #2851
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
I've never heard of paying extra to lend a car to someone....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #2852
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

I think you could not pay any extra, but you'd get only third party cover
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #2853
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I've never heard of paying extra to lend a car to someone....
Insurance wise in the UK: yes. They've got a complicated system. A lot of people have registered keeper insurance only.
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #2854
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Here, as far as I know (it really hasn't come up for me), you need to report when you get your policy anyone who regularly drives your car. Because they'll want to know that person's driving record. But I've borrowed friends', let alone relatives', cars without it impacting on their rates (as far as I know). Using a housemate's car for a week seems more like that sort of one-off than a regular additional driver.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #2855
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post

In terms of equal traffic flows it might be better to compare the UK (or at least England) with countries like Belgium, the Netherlands or maybe even germany. Imo UK drivers are winning in that comparison.
I drive in all mentioned countries regularly and still can't change my opinion. Moreover, if it comes to Belgian drivers I consider them as the most disciplined in whole Europe.
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:31 AM   #2856
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Insurance wise in the UK: yes. They've got a complicated system. A lot of people have registered keeper insurance only.
Is this very different in other countries? My cover is only named drivers (there are 3 on the policy) and I am not allowed to drive other cars. I had to pay about £80 to be added to my mothers insurance for 2 weeks when I was 24. Any driver cover is very expensive and can come with age restrictions. It is a pain that I can't just drive anyone's car, even though I am quite an experienced driver.

This is different for company cars. Usually any member of staff and sometimes their family are covered for all cars in the fleet.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:46 AM   #2857
kramer81

Likes (Received): 39

In the UK, your own comprehensive insurance policy will normally allow you to drive other peoples cars (but will only provide 3rd party cover). But the friend or relative's insurance policy will only cover the people named on the policy, so if you are coming from abroad you definetly will not be insured to drive it without them informing their insurance cover.

Last edited by kramer81; December 31st, 2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: typo
kramer81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #2858
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Has anyone notice that Google maps currently shows the A42 dual carriageway as a motorway? I've zoomed in an out, and the road has the blue coloring at all zoom levels. Has Google decided to label it a motorway, since it is a de facto one anyway(even without the hard shoulder) or is this just an error?
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #2859
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

The link doesn't seem to be working... here's another try:

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2860
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Has anyone notice that Google maps currently shows the A42 dual carriageway as a motorway? I've zoomed in an out, and the road has the blue coloring at all zoom levels. Has Google decided to label it a motorway, since it is a de facto one anyway(even without the hard shoulder) or is this just an error?
Yeah I've noticed that. I would say that its an error however I think that the new system of road colouring is more based on a routes actual importance rather than is real classification. The road I live on is now coloured yellow when its really unclassified but its still an important route from Prestbury - Alderley Edge and gets a lot of traffic etc

The A627(M) is shown as green when it should really be blue aswell...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...m&z=14&vpsrc=6

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom