daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #281
Realek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

thnx

they seem to have many bus stops then, those lines are all over the place
Realek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #282
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

You thought about sth like this?

I couldn't find a better pic
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #283
Realek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

yep that's it
Realek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #284
gannman1975

Likes (Received): 0

"Prestonian: I live in Preston which is a smallish city of average significance, but it is often signposted further south as it is a well known marker for main routes heading further north to the Lakes/Scotland."

Just to jump in here for a sec - I am aware that it was Preston which got the first Motorway in the UK - the M6.
gannman1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #285
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8796

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
bus stop, when a bus need to park on road lane and do not have special place for that
Not true, I believe the zig zags also mean that you're coming up to a zebra crossing or other form of crossing. You can see it clearly on Google Earth. You don't get them at bus stops in Britain.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #286
Mackem

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realek View Post
Maybe it's not the best place to ask, but still... What do those zig zag lines on British streets mean?
It means no overtaking, usually located near pedestrian crossings.
Mackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #287
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

must read articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_i...United_Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_protest_%28UK%29
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #288
channel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

i hate driving is UK motorways, the m25, north circular 406, m11 and the m1/a1 are a night mare , the drivers are all dopy, trucks restricted to 55mph all using the overtaking lane and all signs are unhelp ful.
channel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #289
H123Laci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by channel View Post
... and all signs are unhelp ful.
There is so much critisism of road signs...

Don't you think that in the age of the PNAs and PDAs it has no importance at all anymore?

We made a 5000km tour in France (from Hungary) last summer.
And I can't remember any road sign because I followed the instructions of the PNA all the way...
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM   #290
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
There is so much critisism of road signs...

Don't you think that in the age of the PNAs and PDAs it has no importance at all anymore?

We made a 5000km tour in France (from Hungary) last summer.
And I can't remember any road sign because I followed the instructions of the PNA all the way...
There are people who don't use this crap. So there is need of directional signage.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:24 AM   #291
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20280

Quote:
Originally Posted by channel View Post
i hate driving is UK motorways, the m25, north circular 406, m11 and the m1/a1 are a night mare , the drivers are all dopy, trucks restricted to 55mph all using the overtaking lane and all signs are unhelp ful.
Trucks are not allowed in the outside lane and I've never seen one there.

I don't find any problems driving on UK motorways (except sometimes congestion), it seems simple to me.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:31 AM   #292
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
There are people who don't use this crap. So there is need of directional signage.
I agree. I hate GPS rubbish. I never had issues with British signage though. I thought it was comprehensive, the route numbering system was excellent and it made it very easy to tell the quality of the road that you were going onto.

If you want bad signs come to NZ. There are barely any signs in the cities in comparison and motorway signage is very unclear.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:49 AM   #293
H123Laci
BANNED

Quote:
The fact that you can't use it doesn't mean it is a crap...
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:17 PM   #294
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Quote:
Yes indeed. Well some people are so stupid they cannot drive without GPS.

I heard this story a while ago.

Some people were on holiday in France, and they had a car with GPS. Their car broke down, and they've rented a temporary car, and continued their trip. However, after a few hours, they called the Dutch motorists association assistance (ANWB), they were totally lost, because their rented car didn't have GPS.

GPS makes people stupid, they don't plan their trip anymore, and they have generally no idea how long or how far their trip is. People rely too much on their GPS, and they don't bring maps anymore, and also don't know the roads.

Another story.

Some Dutch guy drove with GPS, and it telled him to go across the roundabout. However, that roundabout wasn't finished yet, but he did drive right across the roundabout, right into the concrete which wasn't finished yet. They had to tow his sunken car out of the concrete, and pour the concrete again.

Third story:

A man was driving with his GPS, and lost the road, GPS lead him to the same point continuously. He thought he couldn't rely on his TomTom, so he decided to drive the wrong way on a motorway.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM   #295
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I still use road maps. Last year in Poland this was quite difficult, because our map turned out to have the wrong road numbers on it. And if you have to follow the signs in Poland, you are doomed. We got lost several times.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:14 AM   #296
H123Laci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Yes indeed. Well some people are so stupid they cannot drive without GPS.

Well, it is proven by experiments that women have poor 3D capabilities, so they have problems with maps and orientation.
(however they are strong in doing things simultaneously... :-)

I think GPS is similar to the autogear:

If you learn to drive with autogear, you will not be able to use a manual gear car.
(If you learn to drive with GPS, you will not be able to use a paper map and orientate with it.)

I like maps and I can orientate with them and I alwas have one in my car.
But in unknown areas (mainly at night) it requires a lot of concentration.

In this case GPS helps a lot.

You can concentrate on driving and traffic or enjoy the view, while you are going directly to your destination on the best route planned accordig to your route options...

ps:
these stories seems to be urban legends and they ranks the drivers not the GPS... :-)
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #297
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

You know what I miss most about British Motorways?

....the fact that when you get on a motorway, you're allowed plenty of time to merge (the merge lanes are very long, compared to here).

I also miss the fact that motorways in the UK are much safer than expressways here in South Florida. In the UK, drivers are generally courteous and don't weave in/out of lanes, causing accident after accident. Here, people can overtake from ANY lane (unsafe), whereas in the UK, you're only supposed to overtake using the lane to your right.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #298
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Chair View Post
You know what I miss most about British Motorways?

....the fact that when you get on a motorway, you're allowed plenty of time to merge (the merge lanes are very long, compared to here).

I also miss the fact that motorways in the UK are much safer than expressways here in South Florida. In the UK, drivers are generally courteous and don't weave in/out of lanes, causing accident after accident. Here, people can overtake from ANY lane (unsafe), whereas in the UK, you're only supposed to overtake using the lane to your right.
The merging lanes are very short in New Zealand too, but then traffic is generally a lot heavier on the motorways and thus the speed tends to be lower than seen on the British motorway system (except during peak or an accident of course when you just get miles and miles of congestion).

I miss people obeying GIVE WAY. It's a lovely simple concept but one that a lot of the world doesn't seem to acknowledge.
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #299
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
The merging lanes are very short in New Zealand too, but then traffic is generally a lot heavier on the motorways and thus the speed tends to be lower than seen on the British motorway system (except during peak or an accident of course when you just get miles and miles of congestion).

I miss people obeying GIVE WAY. It's a lovely simple concept but one that a lot of the world doesn't seem to acknowledge.
Driving in the UK, I remember that people were actually polite enough to LET you merge safely, unlike here where they'll speed up to prevent you from merging safely (which isn't good on a merge lane no longer than my friggin' right leg!). It's interesting that NZ is the same, but their highways look very similar to US highways (aside from the driving on the left thing).

On expressways here, you have people doing 40mph in one lane, 90mph in the other (this can be the lane to your left or to your right). Personally, I think it's very dangerous and leads to many accidents. In the UK, people generally drive at far more consistent speeds (even if everyone is consistently speeding). Of course, you get the odd nutcase doing 120mph in his company car, but that's about it.

Britain may not have as many miles of motorway as other countries, but the motorways are up to pretty good standard. If you take a look at all of the expressways/highways here in South Florida, you’ll realize that despite the huge # of lanes, very few would be up to British motorway standards, if they were somehow transported over there and dumped in the middle of Bedfordshire.

Anyway, that’s my Sunday morning analysis of British motorways….feel free to agree/disagree.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #300
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20280

Drivers are usually polite on motorways here, most people are curteous enough to move over into the middle lane if they are able to so that merging cars can get onto the motorway.

There is no point being a rude or selfish driver, it rarely gains you anything and just makes all road-users more stressed, if people chilled out a bit when driving there would be fewer accidents and it would be more enjoyable.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom