daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #2981
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Here's a challenge for you guys that I'm cross posting from the DE Autobahn thread:

The Washington State DOT is looking for illuminated cats-eyes to divert people away from the entrances of contra-flow lanes when they are closed.

Does anyone know of any good manufacturers of illuminated LED cats-eyes or have seen applications in the UK?

Criteria:
  • Amber/Yellow colored (since it's on the left side of an American carriageway)
  • Must be line/cable-powered, with the cable embedded into the road (not solor-powered)

Thanks for your help.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #2982
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20244

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi
Yes, it is - missed it.

The final (99% certain) A road one (in addition to the Dartford Crossing (A282), Tyne Tunnel (A19), Humber Bridge (A15), Dunham Bridge (A57), Tamar Bridge (A38) and Itchen Bridge (A3025)) is the A477 Cleddau Bridge to the north of Pembroke Dock.

There's several B road bridges, plus quite a few private roads. I remember one in Dorset that was half a mile's drive to a car park by a beach - you were paying for the car park, but it was a toll road and free car park.

Other than Woolwich, I don't think any of the vehicle ferries/floating bridges are free.

The Cob at Porthmadog was tolled until relatively recently (before the bypass of the town), and Scotland abolished it's tolls on various bridges a few years ago.
There is a small toll bridge here in Shrewsbury, cars £0.20, pedestrians £0.01.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsland_Bridge
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #2983
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

There is a toll crossing between Liverpool and Runcorn. Also a little toll bridge just outside Reading. Channel Tunnel to Calais is considered a toll crossing as well.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #2984
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
There is a small toll bridge here in Shrewsbury, cars £0.20, pedestrians £0.01.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsland_Bridge
Is this serious? I bet it is more expensive to manage the toll booth with respect to the takings...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #2985
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

Is this serious? I bet it is more expensive to manage the toll booth with respect to the takings...
The car toll is an automated gate, while the pedestrian toll isn't enforced but there is a box which you can use to pay if you want to.

I remember there used to be a guy employed to chase pedestrians for their one penny toll but he was dispensed with about 20 years ago.
Old July 6th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #2986
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Amazing. Are there other (free) river crossings nearby?
Old July 6th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #2987
Jonesy55
Mooderator

It is a few hundred metres to the nearest vehicle crossings so for a few specific journeys it may be worth the £0.20 but not very often, there are also a couple of pedestrian-only bridges a few minutes walk away.

Old July 6th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2988
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
There is a toll crossing between Liverpool and Runcorn. Also a little toll bridge just outside Reading. Channel Tunnel to Calais is considered a toll crossing as well.
Are you talking about the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge? It's not tolled yet, though both it and the new bridge will be when the new bridge is completed AFAIK.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2989
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
There's lots of little toll bridges like this (OK, about 20).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #2990
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
There's lots of little toll bridges like this (OK, about 20).
Amazing. To me it's unbelievable, especially if there's another free bridge nearby...
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #2991
IndigoJo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
There are at least two small toll bridges on B-roads in the Thames valley, one of them just west of Reading (on the B471 between Pangbourne and Whitchurch). There is another at Eynsham on a B-road (which was the A40 before the Oxford bypass was built) and I went over it about 10 years ago and the toll was the same as in the 1920s - 5p. 5p is one old shilling (in old money a shilling was 12d but there were still 20 shillings to the Pound) and I guess a shilling went a longer way then than 5p does now. They have a guy there to collect the money and I can't imagine the toll brings in enough money to pay him, let alone maintain the old stone bridge.
IndigoJo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #2992
Mackem

Likes (Received): 8

It has been announced that the M4 will be closed between junctions 1 & 3 due to the discovery of a "crack in a sensitive area". This section of elevated carriageway has already had a weight limit of 7.5 tonnes due to the discovery in March of cracks in the steelwork. The closure of the main motorway section linking Heathrow to central London is expected to create serious problems for those who would normally use this busy route.

It occurs to me that this is rather indicative of the lack of serious maintenance applied to UK motorways in the last 10 years. We have plenty of sections where a very thin layer of low noise material is applied, to give the appearance of repairs, however the really heavy duty replacement of some of the older sections is what is actually needed, much like the work to replace the elevated section of the A9 in Munich. It's not a quick or cheap task, but the UK doesn't have the funds or the will to return to this level of work. Unfortunately I can see many other situations like this coming in the medium term.
Mackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #2993
sotonsi

It's simple 60s concrete fatigue - the M6 bridge over the M1, the Hammersmith Flyover, the M4 elevated section - these are structures that are, or nearly are 60 years old.

I'd imagine that, while the crack is between 3 and 2, they are closing J2 to 1 to make sure it will be OK for the next month or two. IIRC the weight limit was actually precautionary due to the same-vintage Hammersmith Flyover needing to be closed and then they found problems while inspecting it.

The M5 and M6 viaducts around Birmingham have already had various strengthening projects, thankfully.
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #2994
Road_UK
BANNED

I remember similar problems on the M1 at Sheffield. EU directives forced a long and painful bridge maintenance about 6 years ago.
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #2995
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19125

What is the way of reinforcing such ageing structures?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #2996
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 286

lol bad timing for the Olympics, assuming its open for then!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #2997
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

How do you guys like the variable speed limit system and VMS used in the UK?
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #2998
sotonsi

It's good at smoothing out traffic that is likely to have ghost jams.

Because it solves a problem that has no obvious cause, and because there's physical capacity problems that cause jams in heavy traffic come-what-may and especially in high peak times, it doesn't look as if it's doing anything, but it is. It's most effective at shoulder peak times, which on the M25 between the M40 and M4 is most of the day.
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2999
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i ahve a question about M6 toll: how is it tolled? it seems that there are some daily tickets, is that true? what happens when you pass it twice a day? or you simply have to pay each time you pass the toll gate?
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #3000
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i ahve a question about M6 toll: how is it tolled? it seems that there are some daily tickets, is that true? what happens when you pass it twice a day? or you simply have to pay each time you pass the toll gate?
No tickets. There is one tollbooth in each direction on the main carriageway, and tollbooths at every exit. Passing it twice a day = paying twice a day.

At least you can pay with cards. All other tolls in Britain is cash only, although at some you can have a tag fitted in your vehicle, and you will receive a bill at the end of the month.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom