daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3021
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods

What else would you want to eat in Britain?

JOKING!
MCDONALD'S!!!!!!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3022
Jonesy55
Mooderator
 
Jonesy55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Floreat Salopia
Posts: 14,204
Likes (Received): 20274





Seriously of course you can eat very badly here if you want to but it isn't compulsory, so if you do it's your own fault!
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #3023
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

There are some really nice restaurants, and I love the bangers and mash, but traditional British food is not as advanced as the food served in the most of Europe, and what people eat inside their own homes is quite frankly disgusting. Even the potatoes are weird...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #3024
Jonesy55
Mooderator
 
Jonesy55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Floreat Salopia
Posts: 14,204
Likes (Received): 20274

People eat all sorts of stuff inside their own homes, I don't see how you can draw any general conclusions unless you have been to hundreds of homes from all across the social spectrum and all regions of the country. One home might eat dishes every week that other homes never eat.

I'm not sure it's any worse than most other North and central European cuisine, Dutch, Irish, Danish, Swedish, Nowegian, Finnish, North German, Czech, Hungarian, Austrian, Slovenian, Croatian etc. I've travelled and eaten often in many of those places and while there is nice food available and some individual items in those countries might be better than you can easily find in the UK I would say that food in general in restaurants or supermarkets is better than what is available here.

Last edited by Jonesy55; July 10th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #3025
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Actually, I have. And some make really nice food, other homes the same food, and other homes feed their kids chicken nuggets every day. Generally speaking, British food is not very good. But the Brits will always deny this. I know a lot of them that don't trust the food in France, and one colleague of mine will rather eat a bag of crisps then even try the food. But that's Britain for ya....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3026
Jonesy55
Mooderator
 
Jonesy55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Floreat Salopia
Posts: 14,204
Likes (Received): 20274

Well of course feeding kids chicken nuggets every day isn't good but most people don't do that except the chaviest, i've had many many good meals at many homes and restaurants. Many people cook tasty, healthy food. I've also had very bad meals in other European countries.

I think most UK visitors to France do eat the food there, trying different food is one of the main reasons people go to other countries, but of course you will get a few people who don't like to try new things.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #3027
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,506
Likes (Received): 19144

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
(though I disagree strongly with not having to enter your pin - everywhere requires your PIN now, for fraud prevention reasons - I'm pretty sure it's legally required of them) can't take cards.
First, the amount is relatively small, what sort of fraud are we talking about? I can't imagine someone who stole credit card driving hundreds of times across the bridge. What for? Even if, they must be monitoring and recording licence plates.
Second, how about the contactless payments? They don't need PIN and almost all cards issued nowadays have this option.

Road_UK might be grumpy but on card payments he has good point. More and more people in the UK pay with cards even for small amounts, I know that because I work in retail. In that respect lack of card payment option on toll roads is an anachronism.
But on the other hand Britain is full of anachronisms

BTW, how about the mobile phone payments? They are coming soon too
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #3028
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,506
Likes (Received): 19144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
But the Brits will always deny this. I know a lot of them that don't trust the food in France, and one colleague of mine will rather eat a bag of crisps then even try the food. But that's Britain for ya....
Judging from what you write about your colleagues I can sort of picture what sort of people you are working with.
Typical white van drivers, market sellers, The Sun readers, wearing track suit clothes all they long, vacationing in Benidorm etc.

Last edited by geogregor; July 10th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #3029
sirfreelancealot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gateshead
Posts: 398
Likes (Received): 57

According to a lot of Chinese and Indian takeaway menus, Spanish Omelette is the dish of choice in the English menu section
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #3030
Jonesy55
Mooderator
 
Jonesy55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Floreat Salopia
Posts: 14,204
Likes (Received): 20274

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor
First, the amount is relatively small, what sort of fraud are we talking about? I can't imagine someone who stole credit card driving hundreds of times across the bridge. What for? Even if, they must be monitoring and recording licence plates.
Second, how about the contactless payments? They don't need PIN and almost all cards issued nowadays have this option.

Road_UK might be grumpy but on card payments he has good point. More and more people in the UK pay with cards even for small amounts, I know that because I work in retail. In that respect lack of card payment option on toll roads is an anachronism.
But on the other hand Britain is full of anachronisms

BTW, how about the mobile phone payments? They are coming soon too
Yeah, I don't see any good reason why card payments aren't accepted.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #3031
sotonsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Yeah, I don't see any good reason why card payments aren't accepted.
And on the Severn crossings (and possibly Humber Bridge), I agree.

However for most of the other toll roads, there's a serious problem with charging less than a pound, having the person pay by card, and then get charged much of that money - if not all or more than it - to process it. And also, it's not the end-of-the-world scenario that Road_UK and others propose - the benefits for the customer probably only just about justify the cost to the operating company in the case of the Severn Bridges - it's a borderline business case at best.

Road_UK talks about it as a "we only want British stuff". Which is total bollocks as none of the reasons were "it's foreign nonsense", ironic as Road_UK seems to hate the lack of card payments at British tolls because it's a specifically British proplem, and borderline-racist as it's a thinly veiled attack on Brits like if I went on the the German thread and had a good old rant about the Jaywalking laws and talking about how it's a move of a police state and how that was typically Germanic (followed by references to the Gestapo). Then there's the food-bashing, which is just more rant-against-the-British-they-suck that adds nothing to the debate and is simply ignorant*.

*and again ironic as anyone who knows the food situation in Britain knows that there is a long history of not going "we only want British stuff". When it comes to the "Made in Britain" stuff in shops, that relates to the French ban on British beef long after the BSE crisis - it's typically only meat - and the "local is green" viewpoint.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3032
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Road_UK might be grumpy
I'm not grumpy, shut the **** up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Well of course feeding kids chicken nuggets every day isn't good but most people don't do that except the chaviest, i've had many many good meals at many homes and restaurants. Many people cook tasty, healthy food. I've also had very bad meals in other European countries.

I think most UK visitors to France do eat the food there, trying different food is one of the main reasons people go to other countries, but of course you will get a few people who don't like to try new things.
I actually do bring a lot of British food with me to Austria. Crumpets for example. But also bangers and bacon, and of course my PG-tips. Tea is shit in Austria, and I have to have my best of British. Also I want my cheddar, my double cream, my crumble pie, and loads of other things. I am just saying, that traditionally, British food, and British cooking is not the almighty best. More on this as a reply to Geogregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Judging from what you write about your colleagues I can sort of picture what sort of people you are working with.
Typical white van drivers, market sellers, The Sun readers, wearing track suit clothes all they long, vacationing in Benidorm etc.
There is one of my colleagues, who will never buy anything abroad. All the others are well spoken, love the food on the continent, and even speak a little French and German. The guy who doesn't buy anything abroad reads the Daily Sport. All the others read respectively the Daily Telegraph, Guardian, Daily Mail, and I read the Times. None of us go on holiday in Europe properly, because there is no point going on holiday close where to you work. After all we are out in the whole of Europe every day, so we go the the USA or Dominican Republic etc. In our job we get plenty of time to do sightseeing, or linger on the beach in Spain etc etc.
I get on with anybody, and there is still a great diversity in Britain. Most of my friends do know a thing or two about cooking, because these are the ones that travel a lot, and like to learn from other cultures. I also know a few who have never been abroad in their lives, and they go on about foreign this, foreign that etc etc. Last year a guy met a girl on the internet, and asked me for a lift to Jamaica.
And yes, the people I despise the most, are the ones with the England t-shirts and tattoos, and bald heads, who go to Calais to buy booze, and has to make clear to the local French that he is British, so don't **** with me geeza....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
And on the Severn crossings (and possibly Humber Bridge), I agree.

However for most of the other toll roads, there's a serious problem with charging less than a pound, having the person pay by card, and then get charged much of that money - if not all or more than it - to process it. And also, it's not the end-of-the-world scenario that Road_UK and others propose - the benefits for the customer probably only just about justify the cost to the operating company in the case of the Severn Bridges - it's a borderline business case at best.

Road_UK talks about it as a "we only want British stuff". Which is total bollocks as none of the reasons were "it's foreign nonsense", ironic as Road_UK seems to hate the lack of card payments at British tolls because it's a specifically British proplem, and borderline-racist as it's a thinly veiled attack on Brits like if I went on the the German thread and had a good old rant about the Jaywalking laws and talking about how it's a move of a police state and how that was typically Germanic (followed by references to the Gestapo). Then there's the food-bashing, which is just more rant-against-the-British-they-suck that adds nothing to the debate and is simply ignorant*.

*and again ironic as anyone who knows the food situation in Britain knows that there is a long history of not going "we only want British stuff". When it comes to the "Made in Britain" stuff in shops, that relates to the French ban on British beef long after the BSE crisis - it's typically only meat - and the "local is green" viewpoint.
Pretty incomprehensible jiberish that you have produced there, but I will do my best to comment. Those on here who know me a bit better, know that I like a bit of sarcasm. However, in my line of business, traveling all over Europe, I will criticize any country that acts a bit out of the ordinary, including my own countries. Britain is known for not having a very good taste of food. Same as in Holland, get over it. I am both British and Dutch, and like I pointed out before, there are certain things I like in Britain, and I import it to Austria. In my fridge and cupboards I have a bits of the best from all over Europe, but mostly stuff from Britain, Holland and France. I dared to attack your country, how typical of you, however, to react the way you did.

Now back onto paying by cards. When the whole of Europe has a perfectly good system in means of payment at tollbooths, and most people here agree that Britain should have it as well, then why the **** are you still looking for arguments, to defend the fact that Britain hasn't stepped into the 21st century yet, when it comes to efficiency? Dartford should have implemented this a long time ago. I know this, you know this, we all know this. Foreign vehicles on business, just arrived from the ferry, may not have English money on them, and has to pay in Euro's against a ridiculous rate. Lorries at the Dartford is expensive, but there are no receipts available to declare the costs to their boss. The business man wants to make declarations of his expenses, but won't get his daily Dartford Crossings returned. Do you need any more reasons why people want to pay by card? Wake up, man!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #3033
sotonsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I'm not grumpy, shut the **** up!
ROFL!!!!!!!!
Quote:
However, in my line of business, traveling all over Europe, I will criticize any country that acts a bit out of the ordinary, including my own countries.
But this isn't countries - it's private toll companies. And given your defence for making a mountain into a molehill is that a standardisation Napolean, I don't see you spamming this thread with the inane "why can't the UK drive on the right/use metric" that fills these threads, I actually find it hard to believe that you are one. You might be an unpleasant sort of chap who hates everything, but you are neither stupid or unpleasant enough to be a signed up member of the Borg.
Quote:
I dared to attack your country, how typical of you, however, to react the way you did.
No, you made this about race and nationality, for little reason other than grind your axe some more, ranting about Britain.

I reacted to you making a mountain out of a molehill about not being able to use an inefficient and costly method of payment to pay what in 99% of cases is small change.
Quote:
When the whole of Europe has a perfectly good system in means of payment at tollbooths, and most people here agree that Britain should have it as well, then why the **** are you still looking for arguments, to defend the fact that Britain hasn't stepped into the 21st century yet, when it comes to efficiency?
Because cards are less efficient. A 21st century one would be a tag - which exist for all the major crossings.

And just because everyone does it, doesn't mean it's a good idea - if I said that the Severn Bridge shouldn't allow cards as none of the other tolls in the UK do, you'd have, rightly, been on me like a ton of bricks.
Quote:
Dartford should have implemented this a long time ago. I know this, you know this, we all know this.
No Dartford would be wrong to implement this:
Firstly, Dartford's tolls cause heaps of congestion, and should have been abolished when the bridge was paid for, rather than kept as an ironic congestion charge with the money going to fund local transport projects.
Secondly, looking I cannot find a credit card reader that can validate in less than 5 seconds - handing over some coins can be validated instantly - it's less efficient (and costs more to process, undermining the money-making ), so the tailbacks go up as the average time to go through the toll increases.#

If Dartford accepted credit cards, you'd be on here moaning about the length of the queues. That is because you are a curmudgeon and if you can't say something negative, you won't say anything.
Quote:
Foreign vehicles on business, just arrived from the ferry, may not have English money on them, and has to pay in Euro's against a ridiculous rate.
They've had a good half hour/hour on the boat/train to get some English money. Plus the whole of Kent and a variety of services if they couldn't do it there.

It's a case of being prepared, and I find it hard to believe that truckers don't carry some sort of emergency money for the countries they go through. Nor can I believe that if it's the big problem you say it is, it's not known well enough that first-timers (repeat unpreparedness is just silly) don't hear of it and then are unprepared.

If they use a credit card they are still paying in Euros at a bad rate.
Quote:
Lorries at the Dartford is expensive, but there are no receipts available to declare the costs to their boss.
Then that's illegal.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #3034
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,506
Likes (Received): 19144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I'm not grumpy, shut the **** up!
Come on dude, I'm not swearing at you or calling you names. Being grumpy is perfectly acceptable British attitude
Did you ever post anything positive about British roads (or anything British for that matter)? Maybe you did, but I honestly can't recall it.

Quote:
I get on with anybody, and there is still a great diversity in Britain. Most of my friends do know a thing or two about cooking, because these are the ones that travel a lot, and like to learn from other cultures. I also know a few who have never been abroad in their lives, and they go on about foreign this, foreign that etc etc. Last year a guy met a girl on the internet, and asked me for a lift to Jamaica.
And yes, the people I despise the most, are the ones with the England t-shirts and tattoos, and bald heads, who go to Calais to buy booze, and has to make clear to the local French that he is British, so don't **** with me geeza....
Sometimes you write about great diversity and sometimes you complain about boring food and conservative attitudes and fear of change among the population. One or another. Every country has its share of rednecks, they are part of the diversity.
BTW, I honestly don't know any Brit who never been abroad, even to Calais for booze .
It must be a challenge nowadays to find them.

Quote:
... Britain is known for not having a very good taste of food. Same as in Holland, get over it. I am both British and Dutch, and like I pointed out before, there are certain things I like in Britain, and I import it to Austria. In my fridge and cupboards I have a bits of the best from all over Europe, but mostly stuff from Britain, Holland and France. I dared to attack your country, how typical of you, however, to react the way you did.
What do you mean as British food is characteristic for quite old fashioned view of Britain, straight from the mind of someone "with the England t-shirt and tattoos and bald head" as you eloquently put it. BTW what's wrong with the tattoos? Anyway, Britain is nowadays an ethnically diverse country with great deal of Indian or Chinese or any other "foreign" dishes considered pretty much part of national cuisine. You can call it fusion, you can call it mixing or simply messing-up but it is happening, not only in Britain.
I love food in this country, on my street I can get some of the best Indian, Pakistani, Chineese or Italian food in Europe, not to mention great honest English breakfast, often from the same place. What else one might need???
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #3035
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
....What else one might need???
A good sandwich. Can't get good sandwiches in Europe.
(Still kidding!
And hungry. Just woke up from a lovely nap and haven't had dinner yet, because I don't have much in the fridge and don't feel like moving. Damn. The pizza place around the corner's on vacation.)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #3036
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

BBC says the Olympic torch is in Henley and Windsor? What's it doing down there already? It's not going to spend the next three weeks getting across London, is it? I know the traffic's bad, but really....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3037
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Geogregor and Sotonsi, I will reply more extensively tonight, when I'm on my computer. I'm using my phone right now. I have a lot of positive things to say about Britain, only the other week I mentioned that UK roadworks are the best and clearest in Europe. And there still are plenty of Brits who have never been abroad. A lot of them don't even have passports. Also, I'm a very pleasant guy, but especially the Poles and Belgians are so easy to wind up, when I make a comment. I like a lot of British stuff, I am just saying that the haute cuisine de Grande Bretagne is not a lot to write home about. See you guys tonight....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #3038
sotonsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
BBC says the Olympic torch is in Henley and Windsor? What's it doing down there already? It's not going to spend the next three weeks getting across London, is it? I know the traffic's bad, but really....
Nope, it's gone up the West Coast and down the East Coast, and across through the northern Home Counties. It goes south, to Weymouth via Dorney Lake, Egham, Reading, Basingstoke, Winchester and Salisbury, along the coast to Lymington, over to the Isle of Wight, then Southampton, Guernsey, Jersey, somehow bypassing ports to get to Fareham, then Gosport, Portsmouth, up into the downs, Chichester, along the coast, Brighton, Crawley, Tunbridge Wells, Lewes, Eastbourne, Hastings, Ashford, Dover, Thanet, Canterbury, Faversham, Leeds Castle, Medway Towns, Sevenoaks, along the North Downs, Guildford, then a jump to East London, arriving at the Olympic Stadium via a messy route around London via pretty much everywhere, ending with a Thames trip between Hampton Court and Tower Bridge and then a teleport to the Olympic Stadium.

Last edited by sotonsi; July 11th, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #3039
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,506
Likes (Received): 19144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I have a lot of positive things to say about Britain, only the other week I mentioned that UK roadworks are the best and clearest in Europe.
Sorry, I missed that.
I'm not saying that British roads are without problems. The biggest one of them is that in the last 15 years there is very little capacity added. It is mostly due to the green obsession with the global warming. Somehow Brits (and especially British politicians) think they can save the world by cutting their emissions even if everyone else is ploughing on as usual. I guess it is a bit of post-empire syndrome, "we are big, we matter" Most of the investment went to public transport with hope that it is going to solve all the problems. It doesn't work, most people in the UK still rely on cars. Comparing with that, the issue of credit card payments for the few existing tolls in the UK is a non-issue really, not worth writing too much about it.

Quote:
And there still are plenty of Brits who have never been abroad. A lot of them don't even have passports. Also, I'm a very pleasant guy, but especially the Poles and Belgians are so easy to wind up, when I make a comment. I like a lot of British stuff, I am just saying that the haute cuisine de Grande Bretagne is not a lot to write home about. See you guys tonight....
Statistically Brits are one of the most travelled nation in the world. There are very few of them who never really been abroad. But such people exist in any country, it is nothing really uniquely British. But then, we could talk for hours what "British" really means.
You sound like intelligent and well travelled person but some of your comments about Britain and its culture sound very stereotypical. Almost like some of the comments from Poles who never been here or only worked for few months washing dishes and then keep moaning and complaining how bad Britain is.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #3040
Jonesy55
Mooderator
 
Jonesy55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Floreat Salopia
Posts: 14,204
Likes (Received): 20274

I think British people made about 45m trips to other countries last year, that's around 3 for every 4 people. There must be very few adults as a proportion who have never ever been to another country.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium