daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #3041
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Geogregor and Sotonsi, I will reply more extensively tonight, when I'm on my computer. I'm using my phone right now. I have a lot of positive things to say about Britain, only the other week I mentioned that UK roadworks are the best and clearest in Europe. And there still are plenty of Brits who have never been abroad. A lot of them don't even have passports. Also, I'm a very pleasant guy, but especially the Poles and Belgians are so easy to wind up, when I make a comment. I like a lot of British stuff, I am just saying that the haute cuisine de Grande Bretagne is not a lot to write home about. See you guys tonight....
I'm glad to see you've calmed down and qualified some of the things you said earlier.

I hope you come to understand that perhaps you need to think about what you post and how you post it then you won't have half a dozen people having a go at you. Peace.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #3042
CairnsTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Statistically Brits are one of the most travelled nation in the world. There are very few of them who never really been abroad.
Indeed. Compared to Aussies and especially Yanks, British people are very well travelled.

I work with people here who've never even been outside this state!

You will always find a bottom 20% of the human demographic who characterise the more negative stereotypes of any given nation. It is unfair to categorise a whole nation or even the majority of it based on these pond dwellers.
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3043
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

More of me tonight when I'm on my computer. Too much to reply through a mobile phone. Stay tuned... You will love this...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #3044
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
Indeed. Compared to Aussies and especially Yanks, British people are very well travelled.

I work with people here who've never even been outside this state!

You will always find a bottom 20% of the human demographic who characterise the more negative stereotypes of any given nation. It is unfair to categorise a whole nation or even the majority of it based on these pond dwellers.
Britain is such a small place though, so its pretty easy to go abroad haha
Find someone who has never gone outside Rhode Island or Delaware, there must be someone lol

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #3045
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
Feh. How many Brits only have a passport so they can spend August eating fish and chips in Ibiza instead of in the rain? [Still joking!]

Seriously, expecting Yanks or Aussies to be as "well-[internationally]-traveled" as people who live in a country the size of Pennsylvania with lots of really interesting other countries within easy reach is not reasonable. International travel is a hell of a lot easier for Europeans than for, say, me. The fact that I don't do more of it doesn't mean I'm not interested; I'm jealous of Europeans on this point and have a difficult time understanding anyone in Europe not traveling, assuming they don't have financial and other constraints.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #3046
piotr71

Quote:
(..)What else one might need???
Properly made, fresh, hot bakery. I mean bakery, not this fakes sold in Asda, Waitrose or Morrisons. It's going to be a year when I last time experienced English fresh, handmade bread. I have bought one in Isle of Wight and it was delicious, almost as good as this one baked in my home town's bakery.

Bigger choice in supermarkets would make me happier, especially if it comes to fish. I just can't believe there is so limited choice of sea creatures in such country as Britain.

Quote:
(..)mentioned that UK roadworks are the best and clearest in Europe. (..).
I must admit. Roadworks are signed, marked, secured and so on, perfectly here. I'd wish have it in my country.

I even followed a piloting vehicle on a single filed roadworks on the way from Ludlow to Worcester. They were replacing surface with this stony chippings and put 10 miles speed limit on it. To make sure passing vehicles would not exceed the speed limit it was a van in front of the queue and once the green light showed it started moving towards with the legally applied speed and all vehicles followed the van politely.
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #3047
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20276

it really depends on the supermarket, some have quite extensive fish sections, others don't. But another point is not to do all your shopping in supermarkets! Try a market or fishmonger or butcher or deli shop or bakery or ethnic food store instead for a change, they have lots of interesting stuff that supermarkets don't sell and often for not much more money and sometimes cheaper...
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #3048
piotr71

Quote:
Sorry, I missed that.
I'm not saying that British roads are without problems. The biggest one of them is that in the last 15 years there is very little capacity added. (..)
Zapomniało mi się

I think they have done a lot in the las 15 years if it comes to by-passing built up areas. I know several belt roads which seems to be newer than 15 years. Moreover, there is certain amount of being built ones, too. They are just hidden like let's say, Papworth Everard by-pass.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/TL2861
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3049
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
it really depends on the supermarket, some have quite extensive fish sections, others don't. But another point is not to do all your shopping in supermarkets! Try a market or fishmonger or butcher or deli shop or bakery or ethnic food store instead for a change, they have lots of interesting stuff that supermarkets don't sell and often for not much more money and sometimes cheaper...
No worries, I do buy only certain fraction of my food in supermarkets when spending time in the UK.
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #3050
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19146

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Zapomniało mi się

I think they have done a lot in the las 15 years if it comes to by-passing built up areas. I know several belt roads which seems to be newer than 15 years. Moreover, there is certain amount of being built ones, too. They are just hidden like let's say, Papworth Everard by-pass.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/TL2861
Wow, I am a geographer but I have never ever heard about this metropolis
This must be truly huge project

It's true, some things are being built but very few and far between. In years before the crisis the problem was policy of spending mostly on public transport. Nowadays when even politicians realize that you can't simply stop investing in roads there is problem of money. I think that was the reason for stopping upgrades of A1(M) from Leeming to Scotch Corner.

BTW, does anyone have any updates about Forth Replacement Bridge? Photos would be great. Anyone from Edinburgh here?

Anyway, M4 saga continues
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...onths-ago.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...?newsfeed=true

It shows what will be happening more often in Britain with no proper spending on road infrastructure. So far there is only patching things here and there or small new project here and there. It will have to change sooner or later.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3051
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

It wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing and many other similar viaducts like it are life expired. If they do replace it (which I don't think they would ever do) it would be better as dual 3 rather than dual 2!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #3052
piotr71

I drove on A4 and A40 within London today and noticed new, Olympics lanes there. I presume, that they are not restricted to any kind of vehicles now (I saw regular traffic on them) but probably will be soon, when the games start. However, not knowing what's the actual purpose of the lanes, I did not use them.

@ Geogregor - there is a bigger project finished last year. It's A421 connecting Bedford with M1.

By the way, running shoulders on M1 near Luton are ready to drive on from ysterday.
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #3053
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
However, not knowing what's the actual purpose of the lanes, I did not use them.
They are effectively Zil lanes - special, high importance Θlγmρic* officials only.

In Soviet London, Θlγmρics watch you!

I'd advise strongly against trying to use a Mastercard anywhere near a venue, let alone do something more blatantly upsetting of the sponsers like drink Pepsi. Whatever you do, don't celebrate upcoming sporting events by linking 5 rings of various colours together: the Θlγmρic Gestapo will get you for sure!

*Greek letters ironically used to avoid getting into trouble for using the O-word - hyperbolic paranoia intented. Oh crap, using Greek-based words like 'hyperbolic' and 'paranoia' are probably sailing close to the wind, and using theta, gamma and rho will almost certainly be copyrighted for the duration of the games.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #3054
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Is it me, or are there more advertising billboards on British motorways these days? There never used to be any as I thought it was illegal. Bear in mind, it's been well over 10 years since I last drove on the section of the M6 shown in the YouTube clip.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3055
sotonsi

It's illegal on the motorway, but the ones seen from the M5/M6 Midlands Links Viaducts are on private land.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #3056
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Brilliant!:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/sp...ef=todayspaper

Sort of like an episode of TwentyTwelve (running now on BBCAmerica)....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #3057
CairnsTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Brilliant!:

My understanding is that they drafted in lots of drivers from outside London who didn't know the streets and thus were totally dependent on their GPS. If they couldn't work out how to operate that, then they may as well have got out and walked.

Having said that, my understanding is that all the other coach drivers knew the way and had no hitches getting to the site. Things going right isn't news however, hence most people didn't hear about it.
Old July 19th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #3058
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
More of me tonight when I'm on my computer. Too much to reply through a mobile phone. Stay tuned... You will love this...
You never did!

I think a lot of what you post is valid stuff - and you have a lot of driving experience across Europe to draw from. But your negative comments would have more credibility, certainly, if occasionally you balanced them out. As others have said, by focussing solely on the negatives, the impression gained is one of someone who has an axe to grind. Your post half way down this page from the end of last year particularly got up my nose.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3059
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Brilliant!:

Quite simply, if a "driver" cannot drive from Heathrow to East London without getting lost, they are a moron.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM   #3060
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61452

Campaign group: Newport needs a new motorway
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/new...ampaign_group/

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom